View Full Version : Downloading NFS Carbon from EA Link

arunim
11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm strongly debating weather or not I should download the game using EA Link. The reason is it MUCH cheaper for me to download the game from there, than to buy it from the shop.
I also recently got my internet upgraded so I wanna test out my speed :P
I also have to finish downloading 40gigs worth of data in 5days otherwise it will just be a waste..

Has anyone done it yet?

I have a few questions...

- Is it safe to download the game using this method?
- Can I choose where to save the installation files on my computer?
- If I have to format my computer for some reason, will I have to download the installation files again?
- Can I choose to burn the files to a DVD?
- I'm guessing I will have to keep EA Link installed to play the game

if someone could answer those questions for my quickly.. that would be great
thanks

KnightRider
11-17-2006, 05:25 PM
my advice to you is to go out and buy the game...on a disk.

Finraziel
11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Okay, sorry, can't answer your questions... but EA just really doesn't get it do they? I figured I'll go check it out, but you can't even get information or even just a price without installing that shit on your computer?! Yeah right like I'd voluntarily install another spyware-like pos like that <_<...
Ok, rant's over, sorry about that ;).

edit: actually it does say on their site that you can redownload the gamefiles if you want to install the game on another computer (so you could also do that if you format your drive)... But, I dunno if you can trust them to keep the servers up, they don't bother doing that for their games <_<

edit: okay so they did put up some more info, I guess they just didn't think it'd make sense to put it in an easy to find place... look here:
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=Sa1CnWmi&p_page=1&p_cv=&p_pv=2.1410&p_prods=7%2C1410%2C0
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=11083&p_created=1131562565&p_sid=Sa1CnWmi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD0xMDcmcF9wcm9kcz03LDE0MTAsMCZwX2NhdHM9JnB fcHY9Mi4xNDEwJnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vyc y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
I wouldn't use it though, looks like you have to be logged in to the EA link service, so if you don't have internet, you don't get to play. It does say something about only periodically logging on, but that's a bit vague, but still if it happens to demand you log in when your internet is out or if you're at a lanparty or anything like that, you're out of luck.

Diablo
11-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Buy the disk, because that's a backup of the data and proof of ownership (as opposed to a broken download). And you're "what if questions" are highly illogical. BTW, you can ALWAYS choose where to save a download. And 40GB? If it was 40GB, do you think they'd be able to fit it on a DVD?

Linkin
11-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Nice try, Diablo, but maybe you should understand before you criticize.

If it's cheaper and more convenient for you, then go for it. I'm sure there are ways to back it up, and of course you can choose where to put it. As for the EA Link needing to be installed, I'm unsure. Perhaps one of our members that has used EA Link can answer that one.

arunim
11-17-2006, 07:48 PM
hmm.. i think I'll take the plunge and download it.. let's see what happens :P

wuyanxu
11-18-2006, 04:13 AM
EA Link........ sounds like EA's Steam to me......... i won't touch that if i were you.

think about it, if you are stuck without internet connection and a empty gaming computer. how can you get the game you've payed for?

(that's where i am with Half Life 2)

arunim
11-18-2006, 01:35 PM
hmm never thought of that..
o well, it's too late now, I've already payed for it and downloaded it.. we'll see what happens

I think I'm gonna have to format my computer tonight.. so I'll have to download the 3.6 gigs again :(

BrazilianCorvette
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
I Sugest you don't even download and buy.i'll try to send a pm to you telling the reason