View Full Version : NFS Carbon Spyware?

SubyRS
07-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Just read yesterday about a partial fix that stops spyware in the game NFS Carbon.

You are supposed to change several registry entries. Is there a program or utility that will remove it all from the game? Before I read about the fix, I didn't even know there was anything like this in NFSC.

My game crashes to the desktop every once in a while for no apparent reason. But if something were accessing data from my HD that would probably do it.:\

Here's wher I read about it.
http://www.nfszone.com/NFS_Carbon/FAQ/

Vanexroxics
07-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Good finding, I read it and it was interesting. (Especially the...*scratches* Hex Editing Codes :P)

Diablo
07-06-2007, 07:40 AM
I think the thread title is a little bit misleading. You had me hyped up...

Sinister
07-06-2007, 12:22 PM
there is no spyware in carbon.

SubyRS
07-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Then why is there so much info about it on the internet? Just do a google on NFS Carbon Spyware and see the results.

I now also remember reading when the game was first released that Carbon will display ads in the game based on your specific locality. It reads your IP and determines what area you live in, then targets you with the in-game billboard ads based on that. IOW, we don't all see the same ads in the game. That qualifies as spyware to me and many others.

And the NFSC save game file has the CD key info in it, so I won't be falling for the old "need save game file" any time soon.

Diablo
07-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Ads aren't spyware dude...Therefore, removing ads isn't removing spyware.

SubyRS
07-07-2007, 09:51 AM
No, ads are not spyware. It is the spyware that determines what ads you see though. Get it?

Diablo
07-07-2007, 10:30 AM
No, ads are not spyware. It is the spyware that determines what ads you see though. Get it?

I get it, but if it's purposely put into the game, and you agree to it when you agree to the EULA, it's just an "add-on". But, yeah I do get what you're saying.