View Full Version : Running NFS3 with Glide Wrapper

Japanfanatic
08-17-2007, 01:19 PM
This thread might be pointless, but maybe there's someone in the whole wide world who got NFS3 running in 3DFX mode under Windows XP or Vista.

I am using Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/index.html and followed these instructions to run NFS3 in 3DFX-Mode: http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/nfsfix/index.html

It didn't work out neither on my Windows XP-PC nor on my Vista-Notebook.

After clicking nfs3.exe the screen turns black and nothing happens.
Anyone ever got it working?

That's what made me try it out (pic from Wikipedia)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Nfs3.JPG

In 3DFX-Mode you can use resolutions up to 1600X1200 (D3D-Mode allows resolutions up to 800X600 only, 1024X768 with voodoo2.dll patch)

Supports higher resolutions to be selected in game, up to 1600x1200.
Supports fog effects in the game (specially when weather is on).
Supports better horizon background and better sky (specially when weather is on).
Supports light effects at front of car headlights (Only when weather is on).
Supports More bright screen.

Japanfanatic
08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Well I got it running...BUT...the game runs only on the lower third of my screen. See attached screenshot. I've changed the GlideWrapper settings for "Render to" from "own window" to "client window"

Anyone got a a clue what to do?

combomember
08-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Hello,

I am the one who uploaded this post on Wikipedia.

I just noticed it has some small mistakes in spelling and the light effects is on in the second track without the weather but not problem ( i am lazy to fix that).

Ok i use the Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper 0.84c.

I tried to work it with my Geforce 6600 512mb graphics card.

but i got Blackscreen and Not responding when i open Task manager.

I installed latest forceware from Nvidia website and i got black screen again and two green lines on the top of the screen and ionly hear a music.

i contacted Nvidia support Questions to make my geforce 6 series supports the old forcewares ( i think it will work with old forcewares which is supported only by FX series). and he put the question to the 2nd agent after many tries , i can post the question log here if u want to.

So,

I opened my old father's Laptop which use ATI 16mb graphics card.
and i get it worked after i changed the configuration (LOCK ALPHA=1.3) as listed in the glide wrappper website.

i would like to know what Graphics card you are using .

Japanfanatic
06-13-2008, 10:19 AM
i would like to know what Graphics card you are using .

nVIDIA GeForceGo 7600

But I lost the interest in the whole topic somehow...it just isn't worth the effort I guess

theo
06-13-2008, 12:53 PM
nVIDIA GeForceGo 7600

But I lost the interest in the whole topic somehow...it just isn't worth the effort I guess

Probably because it's almost a year old?
If you aren't interested, why is this thread alive again?

-theo

Japanfanatic
06-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Probably because it's almost a year old?
If you aren't interested, why is this thread alive again?

-theo

And why are you posting in this 1 year old thread? Trying to boost your postcount or being an smartass? Damn...I hate people stating their dumb opinion on each occasion.

Maybe there's someone out there searching for information and it might be helpful for him to know on which graphic cards I tried it out. You know, this is a message board which is frequently used as an information database?

edlemur
06-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Maybe there's someone out there searching for information and it might be helpful for him to know on which graphic cards I tried it out.

Yes, especially when the last time he was on was 09-14-2007 09:01 AM. Very true.

theo
06-14-2008, 04:06 PM
And why are you posting in this 1 year old thread? Trying to boost your postcount or being an smartass? Damn...I hate people stating their dumb opinion on each occasion.

Maybe there's someone out there searching for information and it might be helpful for him to know on which graphic cards I tried it out. You know, this is a message board which is frequently used as an information database?

Yes, that's right, because the Graphics Card you're using will really benefit someone in the future. I'm trying to make you realize that bumping a now halfway-useless thread is not beneficial, but apparently, you aren't willing to learn.

No, there isn't. What are the chances that someone has the exact same setup as people posting here? Small, and you know what, their situation won't be the same, so they can feel free to start a new thread, and get some real results instead of lurking the forums for hours, trying to find the exact solution to their problem.

Before you start getting yourself in a bundle there, think things through. This takes about 30 seconds of thinking to realize, maybe i shouldn't bump this nearly year old thread, because the way you're looking at it doesn't make sense, and would be a reason to bump any thread. Because it's an information database. Wake up, and realize that not everyone has the exact same setup as you or one other person. Stop being ignorant.

-theo

Remko
06-14-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to make you realize that bumping a now halfway-useless thread is not beneficial, but apparently, you aren't willing to learn.
...think things through.
...Wake up
...Stop being ignorant.
etc.
-theo

5. No "impersonating" staff members. This includes reprimanding other members or harassing them by telling them "what to do". ONLY the NFSCars Staff Member's have the authority to advise or warn members according to their infractions. If you see a bad post then use the "Bad Post Report" button located in every forum comment section. Feel free to politely suggest or inform a member when he has posted incorrectly but, allow the staff members to perform their duties and do not take this role on yourself.

Just thought I'd remind you.

PCG-UB
06-14-2008, 05:52 PM
No, there isn't. What are the chances that someone has the exact same setup as people posting here? Small, and you know what, their situation won't be the same, so they can feel free to start a new thread, and get some real results instead of lurking the forums for hours, trying to find the exact solution to their problem.

Before you start getting yourself in a bundle there, think things through. This takes about 30 seconds of thinking to realize, maybe i shouldn't bump this nearly year old thread, because the way you're looking at it doesn't make sense, and would be a reason to bump any thread. Because it's an information database. Wake up, and realize that not everyone has the exact same setup as you or one other person. Stop being ignorant.

-theo

Hi,

You know, some people actually use the search form. :o
Therefore, someone ELSE out there might find this thread and it might help to solve his/her problem. Even if he/she doesn't have the exact same setup. ;)

cheers,
UB

theo
06-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Just thought I'd remind you.

Ah, you're taking my quotes too directly. What I am saying is merely a strong suggestion. I don't mean to impersonate any staff whatsoever.

In reference to unBtable's post.
Hello sir.
I understand what you're saying and maybe my message came across a bit harsh at the time, in which, I apologize now, but here's my point. This thread does not seem like it would be beneficial to anyone without the same situation, and what you said is right: People use the search form, meaning that reviving this thread wasn't necessary.

-theo

Japanfanatic
03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
OK, though some people might be annoyed from me reviving my very own old thread :rolleyes: I am doing it again.
This topic does cause sleepless nights to me.

Somehow I can't get zeckensack'S Glide Wrapper running NFS3 on Vista no matter what I do.
That's why I tried dgvoodoo.

What I did was to make a normal NFS3 full installation on Vista, and download that nfsvoodoo.zip Patch from this site: http://aluigi.freeforums.org/post3909.html
I overwrote NFS' standard voodoo.dll and voodoo2a.dll drivers with those from the patch.
Then I got myself the NFS7-Fix described in this Youtube-Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMnD7CrqWI
I did not follow the instructions from the readme precisely, just used two things it contains: dgvoodoo 1.5 and a database-entry for Microsofts compatibility toolkit.
What I used from the readme were the instructions how to set up dgvoodoo and the parameters added to the NFS3-Shortcut command line.

The game runs with both Voodoo-Drivers, but it's running damn slow.
This might not be connected to the use of a Glide Wrapper as I am experiencing the same problem when starting NFS3 in D3D-Mode on Vista.
Did anyone ever experience a similiar problem with the speed of the game or knows any solution for it?

Here's a screenshot of how nice the game looks in Glide-Mode, though it's set up to "only" 1280X960 @ 32bit by dgvoodoo-Setup. For some strange reason higher resolutions are still not enabled in the ingame graphics-setup though running in Glide-Mode.

So does anyone have a solution for the game-speed? Disabling Mipmapping didn't cause any difference.

SubyRS
03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I don't have an answer, other than building a retro/Voodoo PC to run the old 3DFX game modes. That's what I did.

Japanfanatic, there is no problem in reviving or adding to old topics. If you had started a new topic on the same subject, the same trolls that are bi**ching at you now would be bi**ching at you for not using the search function. They go away if you just ignore them.

Japanfanatic
03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Woah! Got it running! Finally! Not on my Vista-Notebook though, but on my Desktop-PC with XP SP2 (GeForce 4 Ti4200).
And guess what? It looks gorgeous! That's what NFS used to be all about when it still was a great racing game: Racing in atmospheric sceneries.
What I used was the voodoo2a.dll driver from the link I posted above and dgvoodoo. No compatibility mode needed with XP.
Higher resolutions are still not enabled ingame, but you can choose up to 1600X1200 @ 32bit with the dgvoodoo-Setup.
Have a look

SubyRS
03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Those screen shots just got me thinking about reinstalling NFS3 for the first time since NFS4. Since NFS4 had all the original tracks included, I never played NS3 again. But I think NFS3 handled a little different than 4, and I have the special Walmart edition with the unique Corvette on the cover included. So I think it's time......

Japanfanatic
03-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I have the special Walmart edition with the unique Corvette on the cover included.

Nice! I was trying to find more information about that version but I couldn't. Could you please take some pictures of the package? Does the Indy Corvette have a showcase? And how's the MRC Cartool included on the CD?

SubyRS
03-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I'll install it tonight and find out. It's been so long I can't rember the details. I put a pic of the box up too.

Zpectre
03-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Woah! Got it running! Finally! Not on my Vista-Notebook though, but on my Desktop-PC with XP SP2 (GeForce 4 Ti4200).
And guess what? It looks gorgeous! That's what NFS used to be all about when it still was a great racing game: Racing in atmospheric sceneries.
What I used was the voodoo2a.dll driver from the link I posted above and dgvoodoo. No compatibility mode needed with XP.
Higher resolutions are still not enabled ingame, but you can choose up to 1600X1200 @ 32bit with the dgvoodoo-Setup.
Have a look

I've tried this and it works, but there's only one bug I can't get rid of. In the menus, the lights of the car are all white. It gets fixed after I run a race (during races the lights are normal), but it's still a little annoying. Do you have this problem as well Japanfanatic?

Nice to see you're still here BTW.

Japanfanatic
03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I've tried this and it works, but there's only one bug I can't get rid of. In the menus, the lights of the car are all white. It gets fixed after I run a race (during races the lights are normal), but it's still a little annoying. Do you have this problem as well Japanfanatic?

Nope I didn't encounter such an issue. Try playing around with dgvoodoo's settings: Different mip-mapping options, triple-buffering etc. Is the use "Hardware Vertex Buffers"-Options enabled at yours?

Nice to see you're still here BTW.

Of course I am. I am pretty stubborn if it comes to solving issues ;-)

@SubyRS

Great! Looking forward to it!

/e
Note to myself or anyone else:
I chose Direct3D7 not 9

/e#2
Now I even got it running on my Vista-Notebook!!!

That's what I learned from playing around with different options:
- The only voodoo2.dll that works is the one I attached. No, it's not a renamed D3DA.dll!
- On my system dgvoodoo works only with Direct3D7 not Direct3D9!!!
- The slow game-speed is caused by Windows' compatibility-mode. With everything else set up the right way NFS3.exe works without the compatibility mode enabled.
- I am still not able to chose between higher resolutions ingame, only in dgvoodoo's setup. But only up to 1280X960, not 1600X1200 as on my other PC. Dunno why, but that's something I can live with.

My system's still a Vista 32-bit based Notebook running an AMD Turion TL-60 CPU with a GeForce Go7600 graphics card. Hope this helps anyone out, who is also desperately trying to get NFS3 running on Vista or 7.

SubyRS
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I've got the game installed on my voodoo PC, but the voodoo card is not reccognized even with the 3Dfx patch. I'll try the V2 file you attached and see if that works. I have a feeling the problem might be that I have DX8 installed on the system. There is a Voodoo Banshee patch too, but that didn't work either. Stuck in D3D with 800x600 for now.

I don't see any Cartool on the Walmart Ed CD though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/subyrs1/Screenshots/NFS1.jpg

I finally got it running in glide with direct editing of the registry for the game. 1024x768 native resolution. instructions for the registry here:
http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/nfsfix/index.html

Japanfanatic
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice! Great to see you got it working!
So does the Corvette feature a showcase?

SubyRS
03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
No, there is no showcase included with the Indy special car.

Tubaman
03-26-2010, 05:10 PM
What the heck happened to my nfs3?????

SubyRS
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
No PC spes listed. Hard to know. Looks like an incomaptable DirectX version problem with that aluminum finish is my fiirst guess.

Tubaman
03-27-2010, 08:52 AM
No PC spes listed. Hard to know. Looks like an incomaptable DirectX version problem with that aluminum finish is my fiirst guess.

actually its doing that to all the cars, even the stock ones...it might be something to do with that patch that Japanfanatic gave, didn't do that before...its running on my hp pavilion dv6700 Intel core 2 duo t5550 @ 1.83ghz , 3 gigs of ram, vista HP 32bit

MasterAssassin713
03-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey Japanfanatic, would you mind explaining to me step-by-step how you got NFS3 working on your Vista machine? I've tried a lot of different things to get it running on my comp, but nothing's working well.

kalati
04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Another solution:

1) install game
2) download patch (http://www.zeus-software.com/files/nglide/nfs3_patch.zip)
3) replace voodoo2a.dll from zip and run nfs3.reg
4) install nGlide wrapper (http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide)
5) play the game

ps. for windows7 enable 'Disable desktop composition' in nfs3.exe properties

Reptillian
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
That solution actually worked. Now, I'm going to find out how to change the resolution from 1024*768 to 1440*900 unless you know how to do that.

POMELO
05-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey, this really works. Looks like High Stakes, take a look:10964

Zpectre
10-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Another solution:

1) install game
2) download patch (http://www.zeus-software.com/files/nglide/nfs3_patch.zip)
3) replace voodoo2a.dll from zip and run nfs3.reg
4) install nGlide wrapper (http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide)
5) play the game

ps. for windows7 enable 'Disable desktop composition' in nfs3.exe properties

Bumped this to say this is the best solution if you want to run HS with Glide. Fully customisable resolution, no glitches, and even a cool 3dfx logo on startup. :D

FstrthnU
01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know if the game can run in 1280x1024? I'm just wondering because my 1920x1080 screen isn't tall enough for 1600x1200 (which I realized just a moment ago). Other than that, this setup seems to work beautifully.

POMELO
01-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh, yes it can:
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1677/dibujoaon.jpg

FstrthnU
01-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Hmm, mine only goes up to 1024x768. I know that I patched the game with the new voodoo 2 file and that nGlide is working fine...

Vivian Cels
04-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Made Comparative screenshots (http://www.mediafire.com/?fspnndv9tzz2po6) with different libraries D3D and voodoo2a from selection BrainRipper. D3D: differs only original dll, voodoo2a: differs dll, wich in the patch nGlide.

urcadox
05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got it completely working and I found a solution for the resolution.

You have to use the nglide wrapper, in its configuration panel you can select the resolution of your screen.
If you have a 16:10 or 16:9 monitor then select 4:3 in aspect ratio.
This way the game will be launched at your screen's good resolution but with black bars on the side so it's not distorted and it still is the perfect height for your screen ! =)

Japanfanatic
05-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Great! Thanks! I'll give it a try the next time I install NFS3!

Dch48
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I got it working on both of my laptops by just using NGlide and the NFS3 patch. This machine has Win7 64 bit and 1366 X 768 resolution, the other one has XP and 1280 X 800. Setting the resolution and aspect ratio in NGlide works perfectly. On the newer machine which has an AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD6620G graphics, I set AA to 4X in box mode and AF to 2X and it looks great. The only "problem" is that one of my tracks, called Hollywood, which I found somewhere and is a mod of Empire City looks pretty bad in 3dFX for some reason. It almost looks like the textures are being rendered in software mode. It looked a lot better in D3D. It's the only track that does that.

Also the Win 7 machine is using Rezjor's Vista Edition patched installer.

daniel0731ex
12-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm really sorry for bumping a two-year old thread but, I am having the same difficulty as FstrthnU on my Windows 8 x64 machine. Everything works flawlessly, except that the game's graphics output is limited to 1024x768 on my 1080p monitor. Setting the nGlide configuration to 1080p only stretches the image. The funny thing is that, when using only the resolution fix without nGlide, the max output was 1280x960. nGlide only made the framerate smoother.