View Full Version : NFS: PS can't install

Rapster
12-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey, haven't posted here in a while, but I just got NFS: PS and cannot install the game.

I'm able to put in the CD and get it almost fully installed, but when it gets to the end of the installation (copying the new files) I get an error message saying:

"Cabinet file group 151.cab is corrupt...." with more stuff after it. I have tried installing the game on my friends computer and it works fine, no problems.

I have also tried installing it in safemode, but that doesn't work either, becasue for some reason my administator account doesn't work.

If anyone has a suggestion, or has had the same problem your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Josh

Gankthis
12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Hey, haven't posted here in a while, but I just got NFS: PS and cannot install the game.

I'm able to put in the CD and get it almost fully installed, but when it gets to the end of the installation (copying the new files) I get an error message saying:

"Cabinet file group 151.cab is corrupt...." with more stuff after it. I have tried installing the game on my friends computer and it works fine, no problems.

I have also tried installing it in safemode, but that doesn't work either, becasue for some reason my administator account doesn't work.

If anyone has a suggestion, or has had the same problem your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Josh

Exact error message, maybe?

A picture would be VERY helpful.

No.Mans.Land
12-22-2007, 08:52 PM
:)try geek squad (lol) or just buy an xbox 360:);):P:rolleyes5

KnightRider
12-22-2007, 09:21 PM
your pc is not up to par....deal with it,or try reformatting.

Rapster
12-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Gankthis,

Exact error message is as follows:

"The cabinet file 'Group151.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."

Gives me the option to Cancel, Retry, or Ignore. If I ignore it still doesn't install, Retry gives me the same error message.

KnightRider,
I assure you that my PC is up to par, it was just reformatted a couple months ago, the drivers are up to date as can be, and my video card is supported.

I've called EA tech support, which didn't help much, but they got me to copy the DVD's files to my computer and try to install it, and it still didn't work. It's not a problem with the DVD either, because it installs fine on my friends computer.

Also, before someone just shouts out "google it", I have, and there are others who have the same problem. Unfortunately I have yet to find someone who has solved it because it seems to be a problem that's not all too common.

Kaerar
12-23-2007, 07:32 AM
That sounds more like a DVD read error (though normally it mentions "cyclic redundency error" somewhere). Maybe it is your DVD drive being overly sensitive or maybe having issues reading that cd in particular.

If you have the option hook up another DVD drive and see if that works.

If it isn't related to the DVD drive then it is related to your Operating System or your Virus Scanner/Firewall setup. Disable Anti-Virus and Firewall (though the firewall shouldn't be an issue it may be) and try then. If that fails do the age old solution to all computer problems - re-install Windows :D

momaka
12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with Kaerar, it's probably one of the things he mentioned. You can also try to install the game on your friend's computer, then copy and paste the game from his hard drive to yours (be it with memory sticks, CD/DVD RWs or by any other means). That trick used to work for a lot of my games, but all the games I have are old - the newest one being Half-Life 2 - so I'm not sure if that method would work.

Kaerar
12-24-2007, 08:43 AM
It will work if you copy the reg keys too. Thats a little more involved though. To get it to make its own use your original CD Key when you log into EA online. Then its all good. Its worth a try if you can't get it to work any other way and don't want to re-install Windows.

edlemur
12-24-2007, 09:03 AM

i fail to see the purpose of existance for this post

SubyRS
12-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Sounds to me like a pirated copy of the game. And some on this topic are also encouraging pirating methods. "Cab file 151", that is the EXACT same error message that I have read about for pirated ISO copies of the game. Also the EXACT same error message for the first buggered demo release EA dropped on their server.

But don't worry, NFS PS is not worth getting it to work anyway.

Gankthis
12-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Sounds to me like a pirated copy of the game. And some on this topic are also encouraging pirating methods. "Cab file 151", that is the EXACT same error message that I have read about for pirated ISO copies of the game. Also the EXACT same error message for the first buggered demo release EA dropped on their server.

But don't worry, NFS PS is not worth getting it to work anyway.

If you own the game, you can copy the files onto your hard-drive or you can even download it off torrent websites. When you buy a product, you are allowed.

momaka
12-24-2007, 07:59 PM
It will work if you copy the reg keys too.
Depends... I copied my games from one of my computers to another without doing anything in the registry and everything worked. Bus as I said, most of my games are NFS UG2 and older and HL2 and older.

i fail to see the purpose of existance for this post
Seriously. That post is fail.

Rapster
12-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll have to give some of them a try. My next step was to install it on my friends computer and then copy the installed files over. If I just plan on doing single player I'm thinking this will work (has for other games of mine), but then again, this is a new release.

SubyRS,

If you want, I can take a picture of the box and receipt from EB games, it's not a pirated copy. I can see why you'd think this though, because just like you, when I googled the error I was getting it was happening to alot of the people who were torrenting the game.

Thanks again everyone.