View Full Version : Problems With NFS:PS

theo
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Alright, so just purchased the game yesterday for my couple year old XP, had no real trouble installing it, a little timely but just as i figured. But i started it up, and at first, a little execution box for Punkbuster Client came up, which was interesting because I don't even play online, and I hadn't even started teh game even if i do play online. So, the game takes around 10 mins to get started, mostly with blackness covering the screen. The game has superior lag especially between screens, while loading. I find this quite suprising considering that my grpahics card is fairly decent (ATI Radeon 9600) and runs pretty much anything at decent speed (including Call of Duty 4, amazing game by the way). So, with this game running alone, it loads my CPU, with very few background tasks (just neccesairy ones) and has a commit charge that aboslutely blows my mind with 1 gig. Sorry I don't have much specs for you here, but considering that I am playing Call of Duty 4 with no lag whatsoever, I simply don't understand how this game can make my system run so hot. Anywho, if your lookin for specs, please point me in a direction on where to find em because i haven't checked my specs in a while. Thank you guys so much for reading, and hopefully I won't be reinstalling Most Wanted (I know i am going to be reinstalling most wanted)! Happy Gaming and thanks for all your help! -theo

Finraziel
01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Ehm, I'm very sorry, but a 9600 is a very old card and if it really is just a couple (which I take to mean 2 or 3) years old, you were duped man. the 9600 was released like 5 years ago, and even then it was a budget card. I'm surprised you could play cod4 and nfs:mw properly on it, I only suspect you have low standards (no offense)...

Xereox
01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
There's some other problem, at least I think so. Because my computer is more powerful than Pro Street needs and I got same problems.. Funny, huh?
Some bugs or something else maybe??

theo
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
No, Finraziel I'm afriad your incorrect becuase the graphics card isn't even the issue. The card is good and plays Cod4 very well it's a high standard card, and Xereox that's quite funny, but actually my problem is i am just short on GHz, so... it just doesn't run well. hence it loading my CPU. Thanks for the quick responses guys but my issue is basically resolved I just need a new PC, this thing's five years old. theo

edlemur
01-02-2008, 04:09 PM
"modern warfare"? lmao. you do know tactics have changed alot since the 1940's, right?COD2 FTW!!!

cod4 runs better than PS on my 8800. what are saying means nothing.
dont be cynical, your card blows. i used to be on a 6200 and it blew as well.

theo
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Man, c'mon 4's good haha I enjoy it

Well, the card, whether crappy or not, makes no difference.
Becuase the card's not the problem
I can run the game, I can actually race
Graphics aren't the issue
It's just that my system is too old. That's why the CPU runs full blown.
And I'm not being cynical-becuase the card is fine
I've had it for two years anyway
I'd say it's doing alright-although it may suck-that's what two years do for ya. -theo

Revolution
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
If you go to www.srtest.com and run the test and select Pro Street from the dropdown menu, then tell us here what it says or show a printscreen or something.
However I'm going to have to agree with eveyrone else here and say that a Radeon 9600 is too old and slow to handle Pro Street, and if you want to play the game properly you should upgrade or play on a console. But lets have a look at the rest of your specs anyway.

edlemur
01-02-2008, 06:49 PM
And I'm not being cynical-becuase the card is fine
I've had it for two years anyway

so if i gave you a brand new geforce 4 that only had 2 years on it, would you consider it "fine". just because it has no issues, doesnt mean its good for lagless gaming.

if you gave us the rest of your specs we could ensure what is the biggest bottleneck. unless you are running crysis, your CPU is not as great a bottleneck. Regardless, your GPU is still an issue. the damn thing is 5 generations old.

Unless you have a terribly matched CPU, its not the cause of lag, unless your game has very complex physics or AI. which COD4 definately does not.

Sage
01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
do you have many programs on your computer? sometimes (actually, most of the time), many programs or large programs will slow frame rate. perhaps uninstalling unused programs? or you could get it for a console system. :/

theo
01-02-2008, 10:44 PM
I think I have this one all cleared up.
My computer is just too old
I have the 512 Ram
but I only have 2.40 Ghz, which is lower than the required.
@Revolution-Thanks anyways
@edlemur-Can't argue with that haha, your correct
finally @Sage-yes i do, but many are neccesary for my occupation. I only have about 3 games because i've uninstalled everything else.

So unless someone can explain to me that having .4 Ghz less than required (seriously, I have no clue about Ghz and how they really work) could still run this game, I would say this is a wrap. I can't add Ghz to a PC, that's all in the motherboard, the Intel Chip right?
There is no doubt the graphics card is too old-it was cheap it's cool- but the simple fact of the matter is that a new computer is necesary now-but Vista... well, Anywho-thanks you guys for the help! theo

Vanexroxics
01-02-2008, 11:48 PM
The game requires 2.8GHZ for XP and 3.0GHZ for Vista (if you want to run at Max settings).

edlemur
01-02-2008, 11:54 PM
2.4ghz on what processor? my C2D runs at 2.33 and is faster than any pentium and most athlons. since your PC is "old" im assuming that its from around the time in which AMD pwnd Intel. in which case; if you have an Intel, you should be fine. and if you have an AMD, you're more than fine.

gaming-wise its
GPU>RAM>CPU

if you want faster loading times, get more RAM. want less stuttering, get a better GPU. and get a CPU that wont bottleneck the rest of your system.

theo
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
curently have 512 RAM
and edlemur I have no clue whether AMD it's about 5 years old lets see...
Pentium 4 Version 2002 so 6 years old.
I'm sorry edlemur can you eloborate?
I honestly don't know much about PC's anymore
It's not that i want faster loading times, the game practically doesn't load (it does, but with 512 RAM it should be much faster the game itself takes about 10 minutes just to get started and another 5 for the opening video)
@DarkRitual-does that mean that 2.4 Ghz would in reality do the job? I assumed these were minimum requirements not maximum
thanks guys -theo

Finraziel
01-04-2008, 05:04 AM
The low amount of ram is most likely what's causing your load times, the cpu doesn't really have much of an impact on that... If you can play once it's finished loading I'd say upgrade your ram and you should probably be fine.
One other thing you could try is to make sure there are no other programs running in the background including things like virusscanners, because they all eat up memory that NFS then can't use anymore making you basically fall below the minimum requirements. The reason it takes so very long then is that it starts to use your harddrive as extra memory which is extremely slow.
If you can afford it though, I'd advise you to get a new computer anyway, you'll love the performance increase you'll see since it looks like every part of your old pc is very outdated.
As far as looking at system requirements goes, the CPU usually isn't the most important bit to look at, but memory you usually actually need a bit more than they say in the minimum requirements...

edlemur
01-04-2008, 07:47 AM
and edlemur I have no clue whether AMD it's about 5 years old lets see...
Pentium 4 Version 2002 so 6 years old.
I'm sorry edlemur can you eloborate?

the question was whether you had an AMD processor or an Intel processor. apperantly you have an Intel. no elaboration was ever needed :P.

It's not that i want faster loading times, the game practically doesn't load (it does, but with 512 RAM it should be much faster the game itself takes about 10 minutes just to get started and another 5 for the opening video)

eh? thats what you should be expecting from 512. when i had 512 RAM on my old PC, MW took maybe even five minutes to load. a couple days later, I simply went out and bought a $40 512 RAM stick. Its not that hard. RAM is the cheapest yet probably the most effective upgrade.

@I assumed these were minimum requirements not maximum
thanks guys -theo
i can play half life 1 on hardware that was unheard of back then (in other words, there is no such thing as maximum requirements). minimum means what will get you by to just RUN the game. are you running it? YES. Did you buy it? YES. EA's mission accomplished. Fail on your part for having high expectations :P.

SCHUMI-4-EVA
01-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Heh actually this game runs quite decently on older hardware. I think my primary problem is also lack of RAM (eventhough I have 1GB)

As edlemur pointed out your PC is just too outdated..there's no problem, you barely meet the minimum requirements meaning you can only just run the game as he said...the other one is recommended requirements...not maximum...

I was just about to post how this thread was completely devoid of any PC knowledge, however edlemur has rememdied that.

It also takes a while to load on my PC eventhough it's much better than yours, but aside from loading pauses it runs much better than I was expecting even on high (although I can't really run it on high).

Also that 2.33Ghz Processor is no longer Single Core, it's a Dual Core, so it's obvious it will outperform any Single Core in new games (although not older games which don't have dualcore support..which means it would only run on one 2.33 Ghz core and be outperformed by most Athlons). The 2.8Ghz requirement mentioned was for Single Core processors, not dual cores. You can't really compare dual core processors to Single Core processors.

I have to mention though that the GPU>RAM>CPU has changed quite a bit for newer games, it's no longer like that, Processors now play a much stronger role and it depends from game to game which plays the more important role.

theo
01-04-2008, 04:35 PM
OK, so let me try to comprehend what everyone said here.
1. Thanks edlemur for the help on that.
I should get a RAM stick one of these days.
Second, I have no clue how to close my Norton. I think i've tried before with no success. Sounds idiotic, but it's the truth.
2. Yea, my computer is really too old. Supposedly a new one is in store later this year... so heopfully.

So if i Close Norton Antivirus in my background and grab some more RAM, maybe an improved gameplay? Becuase i Don't want to go out and spend some cash for something that isn't going to help me. A little tight on cash. Thanks guys for such rapid responses :) yours truely, theo

SCHUMI-4-EVA
01-04-2008, 04:37 PM
It might help loading times, but other than that nothing will improve a great deal.

edlemur
01-04-2008, 04:53 PM
just uninstall norton.

i dont have any anti-virus or security software besides windows defender. you really dont need an anti-virus as long as you dont try to win those free ipod nanos, or chronically masturbate.

theo
01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
hahaha thats great.

I'd rather not however, believe it or not, I love those free ipods.
haha no but really it has saved me a few times. So, I would like to keep...

@Shumi-well besides that the only other problem is that my computer runs hot, so wouldn't the RAM stick do the trick? (rhymes yay!)

thanks -theo

edlemur
01-04-2008, 05:48 PM
hahaha thats great.

I'd rather not however, believe it or not, I love those free ipods.
haha no but really it has saved me a few times. So, I would like to keep...

so ill take it that you're a chronic masturbator. get a mac :P

theo
01-04-2008, 05:58 PM
hahahaha
no i just have a few virus threats now and again. Don't ask me where i get them ;)
and yes- i need to get one... Vista (so i've heard)
is totally sucking genitalia status.

SCHUMI-4-EVA
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
RAM has absolutely nothing to do with the CPU...so it would not affect it in any way.

Unless you have an incredibly powerfull dual-core or quad-core or are playing an ancient DOS game then your CPU will always run at full power when playing a game...especially new ones....

The Commit charge has nothing to do with your CPU heat...I has to do with memory..both RAM and Virtual...

How do you know your CPU is running hot? up to around 80 degrees celcius under load is normal ....

Also AVG Free >>>>>>>>>>>> Norton

Lastly COD4 MW will stress your PC just as much as ProStreet if not even more so.

theo
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
ohhhhh okay.

I probably don't

and my Commit Charge is larger than i've ever seen it.

How do i know it's running hot? what i mean by that, is when im in the game, and it freezes, I cntrl+Alt+Del and the thing is running straight 100% i don't mean like i pull out my thermometer.

I'll have to check that one out.

And it doesn't seem like it for some reason. MW and COD4 run super smooth, COD taking not too long to load and MW not taking any time to load at all. MW in fact is as fast as any other game i've played.
So I don't understand how that could be if Prostreet has trouble running.

And can someone clear up to me (in English, a straight yes or no) whether or not I can have lower Ghz than what's on the system requirements? Thanks guys. you rock. -theo

SCHUMI-4-EVA
01-04-2008, 06:24 PM
The system requirements are not absolute...sometimes lesser systems (like yours) can just manage to squeeze in...although don't think you can always do that now and just ignore the requirements...some games hardly run on minimum...others are kinder are almost playable...

100% just means it's using all the CPU power...which is perfectly natural and will definately happen on your system for any game newer than about 4 years...so yes Most Wanted and COD4 will aswell. If the game freezes then just wait a bit and give it some time...it's trying to load something into your very limited RAM...which requires a lot of CPU power hence the game appears to freeze. By going to the Task Manager you are just giving the Processor even more work to do....

Why is your commit charge highest when running ProStreet?!...well that's because it's the newest game and has the largest textures and meshes....so in other words it simply has more to load into memory that the two year old Most Wanted.
Also your commit charge is not the part showing 100%...that's the CPU Usage percentage.

You don't know the meaning of smooth gameplay on that PC....smooth is either 30-60FPS (frames per second)...I highly doubt you are getting anywhere above 20....

I have a system which blows yours out of the water eventhough it is outdated itself and my load times are also fairly long...and I also get occassional pauses and menu lag...I have even gotten what appears to be a freeze a few times but usually after a few minutes (in fact usually seconds) the game will continue to run.

Just whilst typing this reply with by broswer open my CPU usage occoasionaly jumps to 100%...so it's nothing to worry or complain about...it's perfectly natural if you don't have a strong dual-core or quad-core processor.

theo
01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
That is all very agreeable.
And idk what my fps's are.
Don't know how to check.
But, what do you suggest my solution is?
simply a new PC?
thanks -theo

SCHUMI-4-EVA
01-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Hmm...I am not sure...I think more RAM would help although considering that I am still getting lots of loading pauses and menu lag on 1GB..which is what you would be upgrading to, I guess it may also not.

So yeah getting a new PC would be best...although with your knowledge of PCs you just might end up getting something that runs worst at first...it's best to find a hardware board like GameFAQs PC Hardware board ( http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=916373 ) and post your budget (preferably converted to dollars) and then they can even pick the PC parts for you from online retailers like newegg...or just name parts if you are not a North American resident.

edlemur
01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
or you can do it here. RM helped me decide on what to get for my first build on these forums.

theo
01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
alright well, thanks guys. You are very helpful. I'll have to check in to this as i look for a new PC.
Appreciate it!! -theo

mew905
03-17-2008, 02:13 PM
RAM has absolutely nothing to do with the CPU...so it would not affect it in any way.

Unless you have an incredibly powerfull dual-core or quad-core or are playing an ancient DOS game then your CPU will always run at full power when playing a game...especially new ones....

The Commit charge has nothing to do with your CPU heat...I has to do with memory..both RAM and Virtual...

How do you know your CPU is running hot? up to around 80 degrees celcius under load is normal ....

Also AVG Free >>>>>>>>>>>> Norton

Lastly COD4 MW will stress your PC just as much as ProStreet if not even more so.

80 deg C is normal?? I set my computer to shut down if it goes over 50! 38 is normal, 50 means you need a better fan/cooling (if you dont use fans), and 70 is dangerous territory. My 8800GT hits 70 deg C normally and 60 is where it sits idle. The GPU is the only piece of hardware I will let go over 80C simply because my 6600GT's thermostat read it will shut down at 127C

And no, the gaming hierarchy is still GPU>RAM>CPU
Considering I could run NFS Carbon maxed out at 45fps @ 1280x1024 with an old-school comp (Try Athlon XP 1600+, 768MB SD-133 RAM and a GeForce 6600GT) I'd say the GFX and amount of ram are most important. Speed of RAM is less important and the CPU speed is not really that important. Hell I could play Bioshock maxed out (except DX10) on that PC at a good 25-30fps (using FRAPS to measure this). The CPU cost me $10, motherboard $5 and the video card I had since it's release (BFG OC, a whopping $350 from staples, I got my 8800GT for that much!)

But yes, as these people said, a whole new PC would be your best bet. My brother just finished 'upgrading' his. The only thing left in it that is still original is the harddrive. It cost him over $1000 for a Pentium D Dual core (3.2GHz), 2GB of RAM and a GeForce 8400GS. I felt so bad for him I gave him my old 8600GT rather than selling it.

SCHUMI-4-EVA
03-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Bah I was thinking of GPUs....I missread or something....don't remember

Also by the way, I forgot to mention it here...but my harddrive recently crashed and so with a new harddrive I also upgraded to 2GB RAM (still DDR400) and ProStreet flies now....loading pauses are thing of the past on my system, I can run it close to max (aside from AA and AF).

theo
03-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Bah I was thinking of GPUs....I missread or something....don't remember

way to shoot your own theory to chit
:P

-theo

SCHUMI-4-EVA
03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Well my question still stands...hwo did you know your CPU was running hot? how were you measuring it's temperature?

mew905
03-18-2008, 02:35 AM
I think he meant it was heavily loaded. usually leads to heating up but that's beside the point.

theo
03-19-2008, 03:25 PM
I think he meant it was heavily loaded. usually leads to heating up but that's beside the point.

Yeah, I didn't mean it literally, sorry if that came out literal :/
It was heavily loaded, I simply don't have enough ram.

-theo