View Full Version : NFS Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 Version) > Undercover

NFSHP2FREAK
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I think or no it was the best last NFS (and I'm talking about the PS2 version Hot Pursuit 2) that is like what Need For Speed mades and for the name itself.

Since EA Black Box did UG it went all downhill.

Just look at these good scores of reviews which was given to the ps2 version NFSHP2 and you'll realize how good this was or just replay the game on a ps2 console.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/538175.asp

I begin to realize again after the latest 5 parts of nfs (which isn't nfs anymore) is where the hell EA is going. They want only credit to the name 'Need For Speed', making cash by pulling out some 'tune aspect' series and guess what, complaining about how bad Pro Street was by only twisting and shitting the formula, here you go EA.

I got my hopes for the upcoming Undercover title, but it isn't that much from what i've seen last weeks. It fits only to the later parts where the NFS franchise is going. I'm looking forward to Undercoverm but I've got just a bad feeling it wont outdone Hot Pursuit 2 and even some nfs parts before.

Also I got my hopes for that other team what will show the next NFS (the parst after Undercover). That it'll be something like High Stakes 2 or Hot Pursuit 3.

MclarenX
09-10-2008, 03:48 AM
I don't think this thread is supposed to be here, and besides, the stuff you posted has already been said a billion times. If you want to post your opinion, there are lots of threads for that (use search).

Oh yeah, welcome to NFSCars:D

EDIT: I see that you posted it on the "General NFS Discussion" Page too. Only one please.

NFSHP2FREAK
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi there:D

I had used search :P but oke since I couldn't find any specific topic about this game i'd started one.

Sorry for the double posting of the topic, wasn't aware of it.

you can close this topic ?

Sinister
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Fact: Blackbox made the PS2 version of HP2.

NFS Underground was released because of the FNF Tuner Fad which was created and all the little gamers wanted to emulate Paul walker and Vin Diesel from the movie., however since they did not have enough money, EA had granted these kids wishes by creating a tunergame, and will continue to do so until the fad is either beaten to death like a rotting corpse of a dead horse, or they find something better, which Undercover may have amounted to.. It still has customization, but it also deals more with the police, and a 'more' quality written storyline with 'hollywood' created Cutscenes.

You requested a lock, however it may stay open.. I wouldnt mind reading some others' opinions on the comparison you made.

Apocalypse
09-11-2008, 03:18 AM
He demanded LOCK because he posted 2 threads accidently on the same topic..

MclarenX
09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
There isn't a topic about this? Then how come those opinions seem so familiar to me. Oh well.

Stuff really started to change with the first Underground, so I'll focus my review on the more recent games.

OK, my opinions:

Earlier NFS games- Cool, pretty innovative for their time. I know that every game with a history like NFS has all of their new games frequently compared to the old ones, but older NFSs have this touch of something that makes them feel great and fun. I mean, even though the game's change was gradual in the early days, every new installment had some new "defining feature" that made it stand out. The formula was good: nice, deep racing with awesome cars and a great (not too flashy) customization system. All of these earlier games were almost perfectly well rounded, and numbers 3-5 in my top 5 favorite Need for Speeds are here.

Underground-Underground 2- I don't know why people complain about the rice in these games, if they don't like ricing, why can't they just not do it? You can try to convince other people to see the error of their ricer ways, but that won't do much good if you want the next few games in the series to appeal to you. If you want them (EA) to hear your opinion, then that was what the feature request thread was for. Overall, not bad, but since this point NFS has started following trends instead of trying something unique. Its where the series lost much of it's originality. Now, of course they try to spice it up with some new features and stories and stuff, but it doesn't help them enough.

Most Wanted- My favorite game in the series, even if it still followed that "be the criminal" trend that GTA made so famous, it still used that very well and it ended up being a very good game. Nothing much else to say here. It just combined everything I liked in NFS games: the cops, the free roam, the cool exotic cars. The only disappointment would be the story, which played no important part to the game, not really what you would call "in-depth", It's pretty much "he stole your car, and you want it back" and also, another annoying aspect of the game would be "Ketchup" (if you know what I mean) one of the most complained about parts of this game. Still awesome though:D

Carbon- Not sure if this should go to the "fail" category or not. Because, while the new tier system and a good variety of races were a welcome sight, the short career mode game and (again) the story which seemed pretty useless really made me say "What!?!? I waited a year for this!?!?". This was my reaction because it wasn't much different from Most Wanted, just a few noticeable features here and there, a few graphics tweaks all around, but nothing much else. So I guess it's a "relative failure" then.

Prostreet- One of the biggest mistakes EA has made so far. A return to closed circuit racing seemed pretty cool, but it seems that the focused too much on the graphics and the physics. EA forgot that Need For Speed was their arcade racing game. A few inaccuracies were completely acceptable. A major problem with closed circuit racing is that it gets boring really quickly, and with pretty much nothing else to do except rice your ride to make it faster. That coupled with crappy and unrealistic handling made it very disappointing, It fails.

Undercover- Not quite sure what to say yet, the look of the game seems stunning (although, I don't know how putting a riced Porsche on the cover makes it look any cooler). I have high hopes for the game. I really hope that it can breath at least some life back into the series after Prostreet. My fingers are crossed.

So right now, I can't tell. I can't really say anything about a game until I've gotten the feel of it.

Ratings (all taken into consideration):

TNFS- DNP*

NFS2/SE- 8.3/10

NFS3: HP- 9/10

NFS4: HS- 9/10

NFS5: PU- 9.2/10

NFS6: HP2- 9.1/10

NFS7: U- 8.1/10

NFS8: U2- 8.6/10

NFS9: MW- 9.2/10

NFS10: C- 7.9/10

NFS11: PS- 6.1/10

*= Did Not Play

Whew, that was a lot of words.

R8CCXVeyron
09-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Blackbox made HP2. So I think it's a matter of how they designed the game.

OZ
09-18-2008, 10:09 PM
wow... the game is not even out and people are saying it sucks... thats such a big assumption that is comparable to fanboyism...

Gamester
09-21-2008, 10:41 PM
Well, after seeing some of the in game videos on IGN of NFSUC it has totally confirmed it for me that this game is going to be yet another HUGE disappointment! Despite from looking nearly identical to NFSMW, it looks like the car handling is very poor, the over all physics suck @ss(flying cop cars and hitting traffic doesn't slow you down?, WTF!), the cops act like they are in hyper-drive, I have yet to see a decent car, and the whole game just has a very stuttery look to it.

Watch some videos for yourself if you feel like being majorly disappointed...

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14234994/vids_1.html

I for one am definitely not purchasing this POS game! Looks like I will just have to keep playing NFSHP2 as it is still the best latest NFS, PERIOD.

Later,

CVPI19
09-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Well I'm impressed by Undercover so far which includes the cop modes. It maybe be simliar to Most Wanted and Carbon but unlike Most Wanted and Carbon in Single player modes san Most Wanted 5-1-0 for the PSP Undercover's Criminal Scramble mode for the PC, and Nintendo DS and the Wii's Party Play's Cops and Robbers modes are enough to get me to get the game.

MclarenX
09-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Well, after seeing some of the in game videos on IGN of NFSUC it has totally confirmed it for me that this game is going to be yet another HUGE disappointment! Despite from looking nearly identical to NFSMW, it looks like the car handling is very poor, the over all physics suck @ss(flying cop cars and hitting traffic doesn't slow you down?, WTF!), the cops act like they are in hyper-drive, I have yet to see a decent car, and the whole game just has a very stuttery look to it.

Watch some videos for yourself if you feel like being majorly disappointed...

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14234994/vids_1.html

I for one am definitely not purchasing this POS game! Looks like I will just have to keep playing NFSHP2 as it is still the best latest NFS, PERIOD.

Later,

OK, wait:

"it looks like the car's handling is very poor"

1. Have you seen the other videos? Its not the handling sucks, its that the testers aren't really the best at playing the game. I noticed a very small turn radius with the car, so in the right hands, it's handling isn't bad at all.

"the over all physics suck @ss(flying cop cars and hitting traffic doesn't slow you down?, WTF!)"

2. What do you mean "hitting traffic doesn't slow you down"? I definitely saw slowing down. I do admit the the flying cops were exaggerated though.

"I have yet to see a decent car"

3. The R35 isn't "decent" to you? I bet you haven't seen the Tri-City car lot. It confirms that there is an R8, An M6, and a 911 Turbo. How can you not say that these cars aren't decent?!?!

I'm no fan boy to the game, I just haven't played it yet, and I don't judge games I didn't play yet.

Gamester
09-23-2008, 08:29 AM
OK, wait:

"it looks like the car's handling is very poor"

1. Have you seen the other videos? Its not the handling sucks, its that the testers aren't really the best at playing the game. I noticed a very small turn radius with the car, so in the right hands, it's handling isn't bad at all.

"the over all physics suck @ss(flying cop cars and hitting traffic doesn't slow you down?, WTF!)

2. What do you mean "hitting traffic doesn't slow you down"? I definitely saw slowing down. I do admit the the flying cops were exaggerated though.

"I have yet to see a decent car"

3. The R35 isn't "decent" to you? I bet you haven't seen the Tri-City car lot. It confirms that there is an R8, An M6, and a 911 Turbo. How can you not say that these cars aren't decent?!?!

I'm no fan boy to the game, I just haven't played it yet, and I don't judge games I didn't play yet.

1. Yea, I wouldn't doubt it if maybe they testers are just bad drivers, but still looks a little funky to me.

2. Ok, maybe they slow you down a tad, but definitely not enough to even be semi-realistic. Just watch this video so you can see what I mean...
http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/14234994/need-for-speed-2008/videos/hwy_battle_win.html

3. When i say decent cars I am talking about REAL CARS. I am talking Vipers, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Mclareans, Porsches(non-riced ;) ), and Corvettes. Those are REAL NFS cars, not all those little tiny wanna be cars, A.K.A "ricers".

I am just saying that for me this game is still not a NFS game.

Later,

MclarenX
09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
You have a point about the speed decrease (I would have expected the car to slow down to about 20-30 kph instead of the 85 in the video after hitting that roadblock), but I doubt that they'll leave the cars you mentioned out (but the Ferrari probably won't be included, though). As you said, they are real NFS cars and have been with us since lord knows when. Besides, the pursuits are only on level 1.

Your opinion's your opinion anyway, and you are kind of right: these newer games aren't Need For Speed to the deepest meaning of it (but that doesn't mean I don't like some of the newer games).

R8CCXVeyron
09-29-2008, 09:16 AM
3. When i say decent cars I am talking about REAL CARS. I am talking Vipers, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Mclareans, Porsches(non-riced ;) ), and Corvettes. Those are REAL NFS cars, not all those little tiny wanna be cars, A.K.A "ricers".

I'm pretty sure there's a Viper, and SLR McLaren in this game. There were those two in NFS MW and Carbon and PS I forgot if there was the SLR McLaren in PS. Vettes are sure to be in the game. The Vettes never missed an NFS series.

Not sure about the MC F1 if that's what you're talking about, that's been a car we've all missed driving in NFS.

I'm pretty sure this new game won't focus on flame striped vinyls and stuff, but it would be cool if they were optional. I mean you can use 'em but they ain't important, not necessary.