View Full Version : October 2008 Ride of the Month Nominations

Sinister
09-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Go ahead and start nominating member's rides. Anyone who has posted their car in the Member's Rides section is eligible. Follow the rules posted here (http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21194) for nominating rides. You CANNOT nominate your own car, and you may only nominate once. Only five rides will proceed to the 2nd round, and then voting will commence for the winner.

* Additional Rule IF there are tied nominations: The nominations will be taken in the order of nomination *

Good luck and have fun!

* The new rules are in place *

1. Ride of the Month nominations for eight days. Only the first 5 with the most nominations will be selected for the 2nd round.

2. Members who wish to nominate, may only nominate or 2nd ONE ride only. You may not do both.

These rules have been changed as there has been complaint that Ride of the Month nominations happen too quickly for everyone to have their say (Timezone Problems, etc...)

So, Nominate who you want to see, and the top five nominated members will proceed to the next round. You have until September 23rd to nominate, and voting will commence immediately after the closure of this thread, for one week.

Rally Master
09-14-2008, 08:15 AM
MCF's Baja, dammit.

Ľale
09-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Marra90's "Ermentrude" 2007 Landrover Freelander TD4 GS

Saleen
09-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Jon 944S2's Porsche 944

Synthecide
09-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Jon 944S2's Porsche 944

+1 for Jon.

Imprezzive
09-14-2008, 09:11 AM
+1 for Jon.

+2 for Jon.

F.R.
09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Jon 944S2's Porsche 944

+3 for Jon 944S2's Porsche 944

FEAR
09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Jon 944S2's Porsche 944

+4.

Nuff said.

GT5
09-14-2008, 10:44 AM
+5

Holy shit.
=]

edlemur
09-14-2008, 10:50 AM
its unanimous; might as well give jon the ROTM title already....+6

Sinister
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Not really, we already gave away a rotm.. never know, once shake posts his corrado it may win..

Bl0cks
09-14-2008, 12:03 PM
RM's Dorm Haula

Texhnolith
09-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Jarl's 200SX :).. much better then some basic porsche you see on the road daily ;) and faster

theo
09-14-2008, 01:26 PM
+7 for the 994

-theo

Linkin
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Porsche 944

t3ku
09-14-2008, 03:23 PM
+8 for the 944

Synthecide
09-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Jarl's 200SX :).. much better then some basic porsche you see on the road daily ;) and faster

Basic and Porsche don't belong in the same sentence. Speed is one thing, but that Porsche will out-corner every car on this site.

I think the members have spoken.

Killua
09-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Add another one for Jon's 944.

Sinister
09-14-2008, 06:55 PM
its still not over until the final votes are cast, but it does seem that Jon is popular this month.

Currently
MCFs Baja
Jax Silvia
RM's Dorm Hauler
Jon's porsche
marra90's landrover.

Canada_Kid
09-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Jon's Porsche 944

Sage
09-15-2008, 12:20 AM
marra's landrover for me

Jon 944S2
09-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Landie for me too

Texhnolith
09-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Basic and Porsche don't belong in the same sentence. Speed is one thing, but that Porsche will out-corner every car on this site.

I think the members have spoken.

Heck its definatly more basic and less rare then Jarl's 200SX.
Porsche is just a normal brand for me, nothing special/exotic. they just only make sport coupe's like the BMW 6 series and one horribly looking SUV.

And I wonder if it would really out-corner every car on this site.

Driv3r
09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
+whatever number I am for the Porsche.

RedTwentyFour
09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
that land rover is superior to everything else on here! +1 marra

Synthecide
09-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Heck its definatly more basic and less rare then Jarl's 200SX.
Porsche is just a normal brand for me, nothing special/exotic. they just only make sport coupe's like the BMW 6 series and one horribly looking SUV.

And I wonder if it would really out-corner every car on this site.

Porsche dominates the Nurburgring. As for the SUV, it the 'Porsche' of SUVs, enough said. Know any other STOCK SUVs that can do 0-60 in less then 5?

But to each his own, right? I do like Jarl's ride though, and yours.

Jon 944S2
09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
A lot of the cars on here are big American things or SUVs so my car could out handle most things on here but not sure on all as I'm not sure what others there are and looking at the S14s they might out handle my car not sure though.
Sorry if my view on American cars is typical of most people in my country and offends anyone.

MuscleCarFreak
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
A lot of the cars on here are big American things or SUVs so my car could out handle most things on here but not sure on all as I'm not sure what others there are and looking at the S14s they might out handle my car not sure though.
Sorry if my view on American cars is typical of most people in my country and offends anyone.
Thats ok dude...
Alot of people dont even know whats truely American.
Alot of vehicles with American badgings are even built in America...
But, keep in mind that some foreign brand vehicles are actually assembled, and manifactored here in the States.

Sad that some cars that are considered imports arent imports at.... Example... My Baja.
West Virginia has a Toyota Plant that builds engines for the trucks.

Dr.DooM
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
+1 for Jarls 200SX

Bl0cks
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
My car may not be able to go around corners, but it sure as hell can go over potholes :D

Texhnolith
09-16-2008, 05:11 AM
Porsche dominates the Nurburgring. As for the SUV, it the 'Porsche' of SUVs, enough said. Know any other STOCK SUVs that can do 0-60 in less then 5?

Euhm, as far as i know the new skyline absolutaly schooled porsche on the nurburgring (then again, that one corvette beat the GT-R again.. )
I dont care if it can do 0-60 in less then 5, its still a horrible looking SUV :P

I just dislike porsche. so many people hype the brand while it imo aint that special. its a fairly common car to see. Not saying its a bad car or anything.

@Jon 944S2: im not trying to diss your ride or anything :) If i where to get a Porsche the 944 turbo would probably be it.

Jon 944S2
09-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Euhm, as far as i know the new skyline absolutaly schooled porsche on the nurburgring (then again, that one corvette beat the GT-R again.. )
I dont care if it can do 0-60 in less then 5, its still a horrible looking SUV :P

I just dislike porsche. so many people hype the brand while it imo aint that special. its a fairly common car to see. Not saying its a bad car or anything.

@Jon 944S2: im not trying to diss your ride or anything :) If i where to get a Porsche the 944 turbo would probably be it.

It's been proven that all the Nissan GTR test cars are modified how else can a near 2 tonne car beat a 300kg lighter Porsche with the same power so that is irrelevant anyway. The Corvette is an amazing car and I think that for what it is, it represents great value for money and I can't deny its performance either.

The new Porsches aren't that special (I've driven enough to realise this now) but the older ones that weren't mass produced vehicles are pretty special in comparison really I think that they are so well built and the air cooled ones sound brilliant.

The 944 turbo is good so long as it is intended to be modified performance wise otherwise the 944S2 is just as quick with the added advantage of no turbo lag but I have to say I would really like to have a 944 turbo too just to see how quick I could get it to go with a few enhancements.

I wouldn't of minded if you were dissing my car, we're all entitled to our own opinions and in all honesty I haven't much nice to say about any cars right now as I'm thinking of giving up car ownership due to not actually needing one as I walk to work everyday anyway, plus our roads are so crowded nowadays that I can hardly ever use the performance anyway. Then there's the tax and the ludicrous cost of fuel (because of the tax mostly) and there's the speed cameras of which the Government want to put average speed cameras across every road in the Country (Dangerous everyone will be driving staring at their Speedometers) so won't have any fun at all. (Rant over)

MuscleCarFreak
09-16-2008, 12:13 PM

Its a shame this guy has been banned....
The Jeep SRT8 has a 0-60 time of less than 5

GTR
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
It's a tough decision, all are very hot looking cars. But I'd go with the hottest, the Silvia.

Jon 944S2
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Its a shame this guy has been banned....
The Jeep SRT8 has a 0-60 time of less than 5

Who actually cares what the 0-60 time of a SUV is? They are completely pointless unless you're a farmer really. I've driven both and the Porsche actually feels more like it being capable of what the manufactur claims but the Jeep sounds better.

The Jeep would get quicker 0-60 the older it gets due to bits falling off from what I've gathered from the the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and VW van dealership we have next door to where I work.

MuscleCarFreak
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Who actually cares what the 0-60 time of a SUV is? They are completely pointless unless you're a farmer really. I've driven both and the Porsche actually feels more like it being capable of what the manufactur claims but the Jeep sounds better.

The Jeep would get quicker 0-60 the older it gets due to bits falling off from what I've gathered from the the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and VW van dealership we have next door to where I work.

Sorry to get your panties in a twist there sir. I was just replying to Punjab's post.

Jon 944S2
09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Sorry about that just pissed off about various things I will untwist them now.

theo
09-16-2008, 03:43 PM

You don't like the car. You call it a "common" car because it makes cheaper, more affordable vehicles as well. You make it sound like Porsche makes Neon's or Cavaliers. "It's a fairly common car to see". No, it makes cheaper models and expensive models. No one "hype"s the brand. I know people that have put a lot of hard work in their jobs and investments and purchased expensive cars in turn, one specifically an '08 GT2, and you call it a "common car"? Just like a Ferrari is a common car, right? Because you seen them all the time in L.A and major cities, so now it's just a common car. That's funny, I know people that can barely purchase cheap cars too, and would love to own such a beautiful car while you sit here and call it a "common car". That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Just go out and say what you want to say, don't sugar coat it.

-theo

Jon 944S2
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I have to say he may be on to something Porsches are far to common for my liking nowadays even 911s there were 5 997 turbos in the Porsche centre down the road today. Ferraris and Bentleys where I live are too common as well and I don't even live in a big city as such either. That is why they don't hold their values very well any more supply out strips demand that's not how Porsche used to work in my opinion they've sold out I wouldn't want any Porsche past 1996 that isn't air cooled. I don't deny that they are very good cars they're amazing to drive (GT2 esspecially) but all they are is a way to make too much money than as such necassary and the GT3 is just a marketing scheme to get people to buy not as nice to drive as a 993 RS how is that progress?

theo
09-16-2008, 05:45 PM
there were 5 997 turbos in the Porsche centre down the road today.

That's crazy! It's not like they're trying to sell them or something!

I'll say it again, there's more Porsche's on the streets because of the marketing of lower priced vehicles. If there's so many Ferrari's and whatnot in your area, then everyone else seems to disagree with you on the fact that they aren't worth it, huh?

-theo

Sage
09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
porsche's are considered common compared to the cars they're compared to (aston martin's, etc.), mainly because they're cheaper than most cars that have equal or even worse performance. the price is part of what makes porsche's great

Jon 944S2
09-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Porsches are good cars and for what they are reasonably priced but I would still rather have an older one as they look and sound much nicer.
Ferraris are over priced, over hyped pieces of tat, they break down regularly and they fall apart too quickly particularly the interiors and that annoys me because for the price I would expect better than that and it doesn't seem to be the just the lesser models it's the same for the 550,575,599 etc but Maseratis are considered by some to be cheap Ferraris and yet they are much better built I've only driven one Maserati that was falling apart and that was a Quattroporte where the interior and exterior falls apart but it looked like it had been mauled by a dog so not well looked after. I do like some Ferraris like for example the 430 Scuderia but why can't they actually build them better they charge more for a F430 than Porsche do for a GT2 and yet the Porsche isn't limited to a Tuesday in a weeks time before it'll start.

MuscleCarFreak
09-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Lets not forget the 944 models were Porsche's red headed step child.... No offense to Jon (because his 944 is nice, dont get me wrong) but the 944 is the poor mans Porsche. I work with two "kids" that own one, and they talk like, "It's a Porsche! Cant do better than that!"
I've seen the cars.... Big deal. I can pic up the local AutoTrader magizine and find 944s of any color and engine for the price of a beat up 80s Firebird.(note: I said Firebird, not Trans Am)
As far as Porsche goes, the 944 is garbage. I hate to be brutally honest, because I dont want to piss off Jon (And I know my cars dont amount to much), but I'm getting alil annoyed by the hype....

...then again, I'm seeing alot of cars that is getting more attention than they deserve.
I'm finding myself reading what people are saying about some of these cars with a confused look on my face, asking, "Whats the big deal? Are they looking at the same pictures I'm looking at? Is it just to be nice, or do they really mean it? If so, do I just not know what I'm truely looking at?"
I swear, someone can post a pic of an old beatup truck with "Farm use" spraypainted on the side, and people will be like, "OMG, nice!"

Now I can understand it if the cars are works in progress. Its nice to see it happen before your eyes.
But why do some "ordinary" vehicles get the same replies, if not more, than the nice projects I'm seeing?
Out of all the cars that should be getting the attention it deserves, Imprezzive's Legacy is the only one.
The other ones, if they even got past page 1, only got that far because the owners keep it alive by posting new pictures....

... and no, I'm not just talking about myself, and my Subaru... The Baja is getting more attention than I expected.

edlemur
09-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Its a Porsche.

Jon 944S2
09-17-2008, 11:40 AM
As far as Porsche goes, the 944 is garbage.

ALL CARS ARE GARBAGE!!! They're just tin cans on wheels, I really can't be bothered with cars any more I've spent too much on cars so far and all they are is a way to get from A-B. The 944 just gets used to go from A back to A as a bit of fun and the fun has worn off now and I'm bored with it but by the same token I'm bored with all the other cars I've driven and I'm lucky to be in the position where I can get to drive some pretty tasty metal daily as my job, but nothing seems to do it for me any more. I think I'll just go back to what I love most and that is music.

I originally wanted a 911 carrera 2 (964) an amazing car, but because I wanted it as a track car I went for the better car the 944 S2 ok so it doesn't have the flat 6 sound but it is just as fast and handles a whole lot better, not much more I can say other than that. I don't really like either any more as I'm just totally through with cars and considering that I've dedicated 20 out of the 20 years of my life to cars and mainly Porsches and Mclarens that is quite something and I'm not entirely sure what has made me decide upon this.

Dr.DooM
09-17-2008, 01:02 PM
talk about over reaction, mass off topic talking, surely this tread was all about posting your nominations NOT about weather a porsche is worth owning or not!!!!
As far as other members and i are concerned you guys need to buck your ideas up and stop using this thread for arguments.

Jon 944S2
09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
you're right I am very sorry for how I've reacted. I've had a lot to deal with of late some of which may or may not result in the selling of my car (which I hope it does not come to but won't be too dissapointed if it does)
I think I will avoid using forums etc until I've calmed down a bit and sorted out my various problems as I'm ruining it for others and just making myself look like a complete nobhead.
I would also like to add I'm really not normally like this so until I sort myself out I will leave you all to it so I will say goodbye for now, many thanks.

Dr.DooM
09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
thats cool bro, do what you need to do :)
we still got some time left for votes guys :P

Mr. Sting Ray
10-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Contest has been getting slack lately.

Imprezzive
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Yikes! Its the 12th and we haven't even voted yet!

I suppose Jon wins by default...

Sinister
10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
yeh.
he won by default..

November ROTM starts soon.

Bl0cks
12-24-2008, 02:06 AM
November ROTM starts soon.

Can we get this contest on its feet again, or can we declare it dead?

t3ku
12-24-2008, 03:38 AM
November, how about december now lmao..

Imprezzive
12-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Not to mention Ride of the Year...

How about a nice, fresh start for 2009?

Killua
12-28-2008, 02:23 PM
How about a nice, fresh start for 2009?

So, is there going to be a new contest?

We need a fresh new car, Chucky's been sitting a long time on the home page. :P