View Full Version : NFS: Undercover Community Day Review

Sinister
10-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Once again it has come back down to the last several weeks before the release of Need For Speed: Undercover. This year brings us the return of free roaming world maps, high octane, high adrenaline police chases, and of course, lots of burning rubber, and crunching metal and smashing with other hard hitting racers, all competing for top spot. Undercover has been in development for the last 18 months, with this, Electronic Arts and Black Box studios have utilized more time to develop, this high profile game, which all gamers, from young and old, newbies to veterans. From fast and the furious fan boys to high octane real world racers, Undercover should be shifting gears for all.

Introduction to 2008

This year, EA was gearing the game play style and storyline to be more of an action title type game. With this, they had proceeded to include some new features into the game as well as re-introduce old features back in. Sadly, there will not be a review on how the online lobby system, as there were some tight lipped issues which hindered some accessibility to these said game features, instead, there will be more discussion around the physics, atmosphere, controls, and so forth. I hope you will enjoy reading this review, as it was an experience to write it.

Physics

Having played many of the previous Need for Speed franchise games since “The Need for Speed” which was released back in 1994 by Road and Track, I have come to compare the physics of Undercover closest to Most wanted in control feel, while it compares more to Carbon and Pro Street in the weight shifting and grip holding onto the tracks. Each car feels and drives differently, which is always a good feeling when it comes to driving in a race game. The car I started with, being at the beginning of career mode, was a 240sx, and so starting with a slower car, it was harder to escape from the police officers, compared to something with much more power and weight.

The “heroic driving” is a term used to describe the one button quick steer maneuvers. What this means is that while using the handbrake at a high rate of speed, and steering one way or another will put you into a 180 degree turn, or with a faster car, you should have follow through speed to pull out a 360, 540 or even a 720. Now, with these maneuvers being new, EA had also introduced some reverse heroic driving as well, including the J-turn, and the reverse 180. The great thing about these maneuvers, is that when you're trying to elude the police, you can essentially 'roll' off the police, without having to drive ahead, and reverse, trying to escape. When using the heroic driving techniques, the engine load, RPMs, weight shifting, all are heard and seen, and give more depth into how the physics come into play with this title.

The heroic driving maneuvers are not as simple as one would hope, but they do give a new challenge to the game.

Graphics

Undercover features the 'golden hours' time of day. The time is taking place somewhere being between 6am and 10am, where all objects have a little glow to them. The light helps to make the cars shine more, as well to show more of the detail in the textures, and quality of the models. At the same time, the roads almost look mirror like, similar to what you would see on city streets after a short morning rain. The buildings, look quite detailed, and similar to that what you would have seen in Most Wanted, when driving fast, you are not looking at scenery.

Controls and Handling

When testing Undercover on the Xbox360, the controls felt quite normal and easy to handle, also enjoying that the buttons are configurable. The analog throttle and braking help a lot when entering corners, as well as wanting to either launch hard, or gradually increase your speed. This year auto-braking is off, which when driving below 15 kilometers per hour, will not automatically stop your car. Speed breaker has made a reintroduction into Undercover this year, and as with nitrous, the amount of speed breaking you will have is controlled dynamically, giving you as much or as little as needed, also they both will refill automatically relative to the speed you are going.

Damage model

I cannot stress enough, how nice the damage model looks again this year. For Undercover, the crashing into barricades as well as, roadblocks give you a feeling of hurting the vehicle and the detail of how much damage, is simply quite stunning. From minor scratches to the full out flying off parts, such as the bumpers, and rear hatch or trunks, it adds that element of risk. With this being said, this year, there will be no worries whether or not you have extensive damage or not, your car will be repaired anytime you access the menu, or finish a race or event.

Smoke Model

Undercover uses the same smoke volumetric platform as what was used in last years introduction of it in Pro Street. The smoke is not as thick this year, which is a little disappointing, however, it is acceptable as you are not to be focusing much on this as you would when racing in Pro Street, even though it would be nice to smoke out a few police cars while drifting hard around a corner past a pursuit breaker.

Car model & textures

With an untrained eye, some gamers make thing EA reused models from their cache of cars, while is it somewhat true, they had replaced many textures, as well as cleaned up mesh in order to keep the polygon count low and the game flowing smoothly on all platforms alike, with this, they always start off fresh each ear with the manufacturers data and work off those statistics to continue on towards tuning each car individually, until all the cars are ready to race in the game.

Customization

Some 'tuner' fans will be disappointed this year with the back pedaling of the visual and performance customization that Undercover uses. The Visual customization still allows full range color of your car, including changing region colors, but when it comes to putting the vinyls on, you have less options, as well as less control over how the vinyls are placed. EA's main reasoning for changing the customization style back a page, was to keep the focus on the game's career and story, more than the players garage. Performance customization has also turned back a page as well, you only have five different performance tuning sliders, which affected the engine, drive train, suspension, tires, and nitrous. The upgrading of parts has been limited to quick tuning, or picking parts, out, but not completely as in depth as what we were given in Pro Street. With the devolution of these two customization features, it may possibly turn away some gamers.

Storyline

Many of the gamers, do not want a storyline to bog down or dirty up the flow of a racing game, I have a different opinion, as it helps the continuity and flow of the game, it gives you direction, even if it is linear, it still gives you incentive to carry on through the career mode. I will not go into depth about it, as I do not want to possibly give away any spoilers.

Police AI

The police this year, are more aggressive and smarter, with more speech. There are four tiers of police which will chase you. The four tiers are Civic, state, super state, federal. The basic civil cops, which use the always reliable Civic cruiser police unit, are the slowest and simplest to evade. Once your heat level goes up to the next level, you deal with state units. These cars, which look like a mean muscle car hybrid between a charger, mustang, and Camaro. There will be arguments, what this car really is. The third tier of police, and another heat level ahead, would be the Super State cars, which are blue and white Nissan GT-R Police state cruisers. They are fast, and aggressive, they will attempt all maneuvers to stop you. The last Step involves the Federal Police. These officers drive High pursuit Porsche 911s, and utilize the help of SUV Rhinos and helicopters to take you down.

Opponent AI

Sadly, yes, the rubber band catch-up is still here. It does seem that EA had tried to fix this quite a bit, as it does not affect the race as much, compared to what one may think, but it is still there. In the same notion, the opponent AI cars are not on rails, and they can be pushed, however, the amount they will be pushed, depends on the weight of your car, and how hard to decide to try and push them. The opponents AI does have some skill in the reacting to your driving, and will try to keep you pushing some limits in order to beat it.

Game Mode Game Play

From free roam, to highway battles, Undercover is no slouch. The game has many different game modes throughout career to allow a diverse amount of game play without having to force a gamer to play every single race. It has been said that you could complete the career more in about ten to fifteen hours, if you wanted to blow right through and complete only the minimum required about of races to move the story along. To fully complete the game one hundred percent, you would need roughly twenty five to forty hours. In career, you being busted, will result in a strike against that car, similar to how it was in Most Wanted. This year, there are cards, no bonus get out of jail free passes, you strike out three times, you lose your car, with no chance of reclaiming it later. You lose, you walk.
So the result of this, is the game over state. You have no cars left in your stable after you've been busted too many times. You will have to restart career mode. The other side of the shoe with this, is a new form of pink slip. If you dominate some races, you may have a chance to select one car out of all the participants of that race. Carefully choosing your pink slip car is helpful when you want to progress further through the career mode, as these cars, you cannot sell for quick cash. “There is no quick cash.”

Menu functionality

Simple and easy to use was a goal for Undercover, and it seemed to have been applied very properly. Most menus will not be more than 2 or 3 tables deep, still easily manageable compared to having to clumsily troll through menus trying to find options.

Recommendations

As much as I had enjoyed the time used to test a soft copy of Undercover, I would hope to recommend that EA will try to re-evaluate the lack of customizing the visual and performance of the cars, using a gamers selected level to control not the AI, but the accessibility to the performance tuning features. Also, the possibility of user created material would greatly help to accelerate Need for Speed games to a more playable, community content generated game. Of course, we cannot ever forget about online play. EA should strive to keep Need for Speed fun and interesting for anyone who wants to challenge their friends online without having to worry about the lamer gamer cheaters who ruin the entertainment for the casual gamer.

Closing argument

Another year has come and gone, this time around here's hoping that EA has reclaimed enough ground with the return of the free roam mode and re-establishing the police presence to fully please a large target audience, both new players to the veterans of the franchise. Undercover should bring many players to an equal playing field, who can all enjoy the game as much as the other users.

-If you have any questions or comments about this review, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will try to answer them as best as possible.

I will add other reviews from other known community members as they get theirs posted, there may be more information in their reviews different than mine, which may give you more insight into the entirety of the game. Each review has distinct differences in what was liked and not liked. And I hope sharing reviews reveals any bias one way or the other.

Bernhard: NFSPlanet.com (http://www.nfsplanet.com/en/nfsuc/handson/).

Bojan: NFSUnlimited.net (http://www.nfsunlimited.net/article/undercover_preview_final).

Eric: EA NFS Forums (http://forums.easports.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=458011&tstart=0).

TUDOR_T_BEST
10-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Nice review, yet the game looks kinda weak... very weak. I mean, it's cool that you have free roam, cops and a nice soryline but let's not forget that one of the biggest (If not THE biggest) problems Pro Street had was customization (It was crap). When I saw the trailer from the Tokyo convention (State damage or something) I took a close look o the black Mustang GT and the parts looked similar with the ones from Pro Street, this made me think that Undercover will be trash... now that I see it's actualy worst I think Il get Midnight Club: Los Angeles... It's not perfect, but It's better than what (I supose) Undercover will be. Last time I bought a NFS game (Carbon) I lost 45$ on a piece of s*beep*t. I don't want it to happen again :\

Apocalypse
10-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Sereiously, thats a very nice and understandable review.
AND this made excites me a little and disappoints me.
Also, i couldn't understand how well the physics are. BAD OR GOOD?
Well at least the customization has been minimized...:l

BTW, Sinister, what's your personal opinion?

MclarenX
10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Opinions:

Nice review. So far, it's looking good, but I'm disappointed that customization is so limited. They should have at least have added all of the tuning sliders in Most Wanted. There is some good in this though, with the removal of many of those flashy vinyls and body parts, EA is starting to show that it isn't quite as influenced by FnF's views of "nice" cars as it was before.

I would also like to point out that I bet Undercover will be more visually appealing than Prostreet. I mean, sure they boasted that it was "photo realistic", but whats the point if there's nothing much to see? The scenery in Prostreet was usually monolithic and boring, so those graphics were pretty much a waste of 3GB. Undercover has a lot more eye candy, and all of those visual effects will be a lot easier to see and appreciate.

What I like the most out of all that you said are the cops. They look like they've stepped it up with different kinds of cars for each heat level. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "smarter", but if it this is anything like the improvement of tactics from HP2-MW, then these new cops should be quite a fun and challenging to evade.

The damage looked very good in the gameplay videos, and I'm glad that the developers invested more time into this. I do hope it affects your performance at least near to Prostreet's level. If not, it would be a bit of a disappointment, but I'm already used to this with other games. For me, as long as the cars are destructible and the damage is (at least visually) realistic, It's good.

Questions:

How obvious is the rubber band AI? If it's like Carbon's rubber band AI, It's reasonably OK. If it's like Most Wanted's, It'll probably be pretty annoying.

25 to 40 hours?!?!? That's amazing. How is the area and race unlock system like (Territories, Race Days) ? It seems a bit like some parts from Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, and Prostreet from what I imagine.

Will there be those (performance dampening) "assists" like in Prostreet?

What Pre-Underground NFS is the game most comparable to?

Summary:

I'm really excited for this game. Your review really helped me cleared many things up. There were, of course, some disappointments, but overall; I'm more excited for the game than I was before.

OD211
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice review Sinister. Thank you for giving us a look at the new game.

As for the decreased customization, I don't really care as long as the game itself is fun (though I would have preferred a reasonably in-depth performance tuning system). And I like the fact that EA is improving their old car meshes rather than making up flawed new ones. Damage sounds nice, police sounds like you can't simply them ram out (which is good), it's nice to know that the AI has improved a little, etc. Basically, this game sounds good.

I have a question though. How is the reverse 180 pulled off? Do you simply reverse the car and then brake while steering?

Also, i couldn't understand how well the physics are. BAD OR GOOD?
He says they're good.

F.R.
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
NFSUC will be a hit:D

Good thing they didnt followed the gameplay of NFSPS. NFSPS' gameplay SUCKS!!!!!!

R8CCXVeyron
10-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Well that limited customization is an answer to all those critics who say "riced exotics". Nice job critics, nice job.
I hope the rubberband AI is not as bad as MCLA. I heard it is bad, real bad.

I'm liking the car list. And it's awesome that the gameplay would be long, I get to enjoy my GT-R endlessly!!! XD

I have a question though. How is the reverse 180 pulled off? Do you simply reverse the car and then brake while steering?

I guess you pull the E Brake then turn. You could also pull off 360's while moving haha! XD

Sinister
10-30-2008, 10:34 AM
reverse 180 is achieved by driving backwards then turning hard left or right, no ebrake is used. This is also known as J-turn.

R8CCXVeyron
10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I didn't expect it to be that easy....

Unai
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Seeing this, I think that NFS will never be what it used to be. Since Most Wanted all NFSs have been very similar. Same cars, same parts, and the tuning options get lower as they release games. Man, I miss classic NFS, with a lot of exotic cars, exotic places and very detailed showcases.

I think they should change the way NFS is taking and make a different game. With a lot of exotic cars (Ferraris, Lamborghinis and not very famous brands, like Italdesign or Isdera), and a big open world with the posibility of taking ferrys to move to other countries. It hasn't to be always a city. It can be a mountain with villages or something like that. Of course, every car has to have a showcase, and tuning options have to be removed, since there's no tuning in classic NFSs.

Greetings.

ricersHA
10-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Seeing this, I think that NFS will never be what it used to be. Since Most Wanted all NFSs have been very similar. Same cars, same parts, and the tuning options get lower as they release games. Man, I miss classic NFS, with a lot of exotic cars, exotic places and very detailed showcases.

I think they should change the way NFS is taking and make a different game. With a lot of exotic cars (Ferraris, Lamborghinis and not very famous brands, like Italdesign or Isdera), and a big open world with the posibility of taking ferrys to move to other countries. It hasn't to be always a city. It can be a mountain with villages or something like that. Of course, every car has to have a showcase, and tuning options have to be removed, since there's no tuning in classic NFSs.

Greetings.

you are so right the real NFS games are long gone dead.As long as NFS games are like this i will never buy another NFS again.

arushan
10-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Very nice Darren :) I'm definitely more excited about this release than I was for Carbon or ProStreet.

btw guys... Rubberband AI can be easily "disabled" if they are doing it the same was as MW, so don't fret about it too much. :)

Sinister
10-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Seeing this, I think that NFS will never be what it used to be.
Correct. This is also due to the fact that the average world gamer is not what it used to be either.

Since Most Wanted all NFSs have been very similar. Same cars, same parts, and the tuning options get lower as they release games.
After meeting some other members from other parts of the community, it seems that they are not as much of car nuts as those in North America - this being said, EA must give a balance of tuning option to make it easy for both sides of the table to use equally and simply.

Man, I miss classic NFS, with a lot of exotic cars, exotic places and very detailed showcases.

Licensing. But I do agree, it would be nice to showcase the cars manufacturer stats, with videos, and statistics as per NFS1-4.

I think they should change the way NFS is taking and make a different game. With a lot of exotic cars (Ferraris, Lamborghinis and not very famous brands, like Italdesign or Isdera), and a big open world with the posibility of taking ferrys to move to other countries. It hasn't to be always a city. It can be a mountain with villages or something like that.
There have been suggestions made about expanding the 'continent' features to include more of a variety of location atmospheres.

Of course, every car has to have a showcase, and tuning options have to be removed, since there's no tuning in classic NFSs.

So there's complaints about lack or minimalism of tuning, and then suggestions of No tuning at all, Please. Which is it?

What I like the most out of all that you said are the cops. They look like they've stepped it up with different kinds of cars for each heat level. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "smarter", but if it this is anything like the improvement of tactics from HP2-MW, then these new cops should be quite a fun and challenging to evade.

The police may seem cheesy and basic clumsy drivers as the story begins, but you will find out that they do get tougher, and quite agressive at some points.

The damage looked very good in the gameplay videos, and I'm glad that the developers invested more time into this. I do hope it affects your performance at least near to Prostreet's level. If not, it would be a bit of a disappointment, but I'm already used to this with other games. For me, as long as the cars are destructible and the damage is (at least visually) realistic, It's good.

No performance is affected by damage, and damage only lasts as long as the event you are in.

How obvious is the rubber band AI? If it's like Carbon's rubber band AI, It's reasonably OK. If it's like Most Wanted's, It'll probably be pretty annoying.

I did not notice it being TOO obvious, but I had not paid as much attention to it as I should have.

25 to 40 hours?!?!? That's amazing. How is the area and race unlock system like (Territories, Race Days) ? It seems a bit like some parts from Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, and Prostreet from what I imagine.

You begin at one point of the 'fully unlocked map', work your way through those races, into a new section of the map. More Carbon, Underground feel. Using the D-pad Down, is a quick start to racing.

Will there be those (performance dampening) "assists" like in Prostreet?

None noticed.

What Pre-Underground NFS is the game most comparable to?

Hmmm.. tough.. I cannot give a definate answer, but it's a diluted mixture between 4, 5, and 6. Due to damage, 'jobs' and police.

Summary:

I'm really excited for this game. Your review really helped me cleared many things up. There were, of course, some disappointments, but overall; I'm more excited for the game than I was before.
I"m glad my review has provided you with insight, either good or bad.

And yes, ishaan1023, do not worry, I did not forget, or ignore your question.
Undercover does have some great returns of very popular features, and does lose a bit of the newer features introduced last year, but the balance is quite effective in order to keep a gamer interested, if not by the career, by the police chasing you down in free roam. I will have to say, Yes, I am anxiously awaiting to play the full hard copy of Undercover, it still beats both the Undergrounds hands down.

NFS Police Force
10-31-2008, 01:37 AM
There is no say if there is a police mod or not ?

AgentRoo
10-31-2008, 02:30 AM
Sinister, is the "autosculpt" feature back for visual parts?

Did all visual parts help in some way? (e.g. Roof Scoop = lowered weight as A/C removed?)

As for tuning, I'd prefer more (Pro-Street had the best balance between in-depth and simplicity IMO).

However, I appreciate that to fit in all the Player cars, plus the Cop Cars and the Traffic Cars together with Racer, Traffic and Cop AI something had to be removed.

Sinister
10-31-2008, 05:19 AM
police mod? mode?
there is a few missions in single player where you would drive a police car, but not a full blown mode.

In online, there is cops and robbers, that is it for this year.

Autosculpt is back, the car's weight was not affected by parts. As for Roof scoops, I don't remember seeing any.

It was mainly, spoilers, exhaust, wheels, front and rear bumpers, side skirts, I think there may be a couple other things, i just dont remember looking through all the parts, as our game time was limited, so I was testing the gameplay more than the customization.

as for tuning, not all gamers world wide knows how to affect a car with in-depth tuning. A reason it would be nice to have a little different 'difficulty' ratings affecting tuning options, which did not affect police or opponent aggresiveness. Which I had suggested for the future.

0KINGDRAG0
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
I thought about the many vinyls and larger capacity body kits ... prostreet because they were not much. The game takes me not too much ... was the best Underground 2

MclarenX
10-31-2008, 07:18 AM
What exactly do you mean by "larger capacity body kits"?

Apocalypse
10-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Grammar is uncommon here.

R8CCXVeyron
10-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Dudes..... We have car tiers.... CAR TIERS!!!!

Golf's won't be able to catch up to CGT's!!!

CVPI19
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
What about the Criminal Scramble mode I thought it was going to be included anyword on the Nintendo DS version, PSP version, and the police missions do you get to arrest the bad guys in the police based missions or no?

Sinister
10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
the Nintendo DS or psp version was not discussed much, but I know that they do have some different game modes exclusive to those handheld platforms.

I think for the main body parts, there are close to 10+ in each category, of course with rims being quite substantially more, all with autosculpt.

CVPI19
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
the Nintendo DS or psp version was not discussed much, but I know that they do have some different game modes exclusive to those handheld platforms.

I think for the main body parts, there are close to 10+ in each category, of course with rims being quite substantially more, all with autosculpt.

Well if you say there is no full cop mode in the PS3, PC, and X-Box 360 versions which EA has Criminal Scramble mode listed in the EA store for those systems and that means it really is for the Nintendo DS version then while the PSP version does get another cop mode called Chase Down. Now in Cops N Robbers mode can you select a model of police car other than the civic class police cruiser or no and what about the single player missions involing the police cars minus the mission where you have to steal the super state unit aka the Tri-City PD Nissan GT-R will the police based missions allow you to be a cop and chase down bad guys or no please tell me.

Sinister
10-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Again, I will recap - I did not get a chance to play the online side of the game as it was 'not available for preview' at the time, so some information may still be sketchy.

Cops and Robbers is online where you have a choice of the Police models, from Civic to Porsche, chasing down and busting the opponents.

I had not progressed enough through the career mode to use the stolen police car, but I believe it may just be a steal and deliver job.

- taking down others, is done in your own career car, (obviously with no police lights).

CVPI19
10-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Again, I will recap - I did not get a chance to play the online side of the game as it was 'not available for preview' at the time, so some information may still be sketchy.

Cops and Robbers is online where you have a choice of the Police models, from Civic to Porsche, chasing down and busting the opponents.

I had not progressed enough through the career mode to use the stolen police car, but I believe it may just be a steal and deliver job.

- taking down others, is done in your own career car, (obviously with no police lights).

Sweet I'm starting to like this I'm sold I will buy this when this comes out the taking down others at least that is close to be the cop mode. That makes my day Sinister dude thanks for the info I wish Ashuan would return because I think this game would be worth cracking and making new cars for after all to add to career mode and even cops n robbers mode.
These cop missions so make up for the lack of any single player cop action in Most Wanted and Carbon.

Apocalypse
11-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Hey Sinister, there is surely no Ferraris right?
That Enzo was fake, then?

R8CCXVeyron
11-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Yeap, it's fake. You can't trust Chinese websites unless you understand em.

basty
11-01-2008, 07:07 AM
there is a cool vid presented by the producer of undercover: http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14234988/need-for-speed-2008/videos/nfs_102708.html ... maybe you've seen it but i like it

Sinister
11-01-2008, 10:21 AM
I wish Ashuan would return because I think this game would be worth cracking and making new cars for after all to add to career mode and even cops n robbers mode.
Many agree with you, Undercover may be worth cracking if he so chooses, and has time to.

basty - that video describes all aspects of the heroic driving, thank you for posting it.

on a side note, Mark, the developer in that video, makes those maneuvers look quite easy compared to picking up the game for the first time.

GreedyTurbo529
11-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I searched and havent seen anything about this so hope I dont get kicked in the *** for asking :uhoh:

I there a replay feature, and can you take photos and/or save video clips?

Sinister
11-01-2008, 05:21 PM
photo mode has once again made an appearance, replays, not yet. We are still working with EA to bring them back.

MclarenX
11-02-2008, 04:32 AM
@ basty

Yeah, I watched that in gametrailers.com. You should see their comments; everyone's so pessimistic.

Anyway,

Are the roads wide and open like in MW?

I saw the busted videos on the website, is it really as easy as making a wrong move and hitting a car to get busted?

And with the vid basty posted, I saw the heat level go up without a pursuit; now, I think I also read something about a "threat level" somewhere, is that it?

Also, what do the points you get for pulling off stunts do?

R8CCXVeyron
11-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Hold on.... I thought EA mentioned they fixed the replays?

Oh btw, if you look at the vid at 4:46 or somethin, below the bumper of the 911 you see "Palm Harbor Tier 3 Car Shop".

Are the Tiers back?

Also, what do the points you get for pulling off stunts do?

Yea what does it do? It fills this bar on the right semi circumference of the speedo. But the ones on the left are the speedbreaker and NOS.

What's that bar on the right of the speedo?

Hwi
11-02-2008, 06:10 AM
How's the soundtrack? Typical NFS I'm guessing..

Apocalypse
11-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Oh btw, if you look at the vid at 4:46 or somethin, below the bumper of the 911 you see "Palm Harbor Tier 3 Car Shop".

Are the Tiers back?

They have to be. You cant expect car like 240sx or Rx-8 to take on Veyron or Carrera GT.
Anyways they had to back since they were in Prostreet and Carbon.

R8CCXVeyron
11-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Yea.... I hope the M3 E92 isn't really slow I thought it was slow in PS.

Unai
11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
How's the soundtrack? Typical NFS I'm guessing..

You have remembered me, that another thing that I miss in old-school NFSs is the music. It used to be original music, usually techno and rock. It was amazing, but now they take songs from other composers, but it isn't the most important thing right now...

R8CCXVeyron
11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
They have to be. You cant expect car like 240sx or Rx-8 to take on Veyron or Carrera GT.
Anyways they had to back since they were in Prostreet and Carbon.

They're back I read it somewhere. You can upgrade your car to a higher tier but the cars in that tier were said to be faster.

I can't wait for this game. Seriously.

Sinister
11-03-2008, 06:36 PM
15 days now eh.

GreedyTurbo529
11-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Really, Holy crap it is 8) sweet

CVPI19
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I so look forward to it and maybe the cop based missions in career mode in my opinion EA's slow return a full blow single player cop mode into future titles for the PC, X-Box 360, PS2, PS3 and Wii. Once mods and hacks are done to this game like with the Most Wanted save file which allows police cars to be bought in career mode that will even make my day even more.

Nik.
11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Nice review Sin, made many questions answered.

GreedyTurbo529
11-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I cant wait to play the Cops and Robbers mode, that looks fun

Speedy77
11-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Ok I've got a few questions. The first one being, when you say that the vinyl setup isn't as good, what do you mean? And (as dumb as it may seem) are we going to be getting any more rediculously fun ramp-action like in Carbon and Most Wanted (I really miss those)? And how often are the cars won from racedays?

Thanks so much for your review, this really gets me exited!

Sinister
11-04-2008, 05:40 AM
For gamers who like to spend hours in customization making their cars look unique, they have been reduced to 10 layers each side I believe, or up to 20 layers, not 100% sure.

ramp-action as in? large jumps where the camera changes to a jump camera? Those are there.

cars won from the events, may come from random events or ones you have dominated to a certain degree, I have no Idea. I only won the pinkslips once.

Speedy77
11-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Alright, thanks Sinister. And yes, I meant ramps as in large jumps lol. I really missed those from the old game. The only thing close to one in Prostreet (besides the speed runs) was one of the desert drags where if you shot off to one side at the end of the race you made an awesome jump off one of the old billboards. Sucks about the vinyls, but I'll find a way to get over it lol.

Thanks Sinister

GreedyTurbo529
11-04-2008, 07:46 AM
how about the way the cars handle just in general, is it like ProSreet, Moast Wanted, etc etc

Myojinoir
11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Sinister said, something like MW

Double Mac
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you for such an informative and objective (ie your usual rice-hate-free - though personally I like muscle cars anyway) review. With that out of the way I do have a couple of questions / comments:

1. Will there be a tournament (kinda) mode? I mean, take MW - having completed a set of objectives you're finally granted the privilege of racing against this charismatic character who boasts a 'rep' to be reckoned with, and his/her own 'bio page' whose primary purpose is seemingly to inspire a sense of awe / horror via mean-looking faces & poses. (Ronnie would be my personal fave here.) Then you race the f***er and you lose whatever respect you might have initially harbored towards them because you're doomed to win every single race. You inevitably end up thinking 'what a wuss!' and it doesn't really matter that you had to restart the race 20 times because eventually you WILL prevail. You just have to. Now skip back to PU and it's an entirely different psychological approach altogether. Say, you start a tournament and you know this Dylan bloke will give you one hell of a hard time all the way through Schwarzwald but you don't feel THAT pressed to reach for the restart button (ie crash-exit to system) right after your first mistake because you expect him to eat your dust when you take that backstreet shortcut in Zone Industrielle. So you just finish the race trying to do your best. Personally I think it allows for more overall satisfaction to be had from the gaming experience, hence I'd love to see the tournament mode return in the NFS series.

2. Any random encounter-inspired races in free-roam mode, UG2-style? Is the highway battle mode in any way related to the outrun race / rival challenge events? OK, another gripe to follow: say what you will about UG2 but I happen to find the outrun feature an absolute gameplay winner, one that was sadly (and inexplicably) missing from MW & Carbon. Yeah, I know it's derivative ('Driver', anyone?) but I still did have a lot of fun trying to lose this guy (gal?) who chased me all over Coal Harbor's trainyards for, like, 15 minutes when I wasn't yet acquainted w/ the area. Carbon, however, rather than add cops (or - yeah, what the hell! - more racers) to the outrun equation, gave us a fixed set of destinations rendering the experience much less, uhm, spontaneous & creative and ultimately - infinitely less enjoyable.

3. You didn't comment on the actual layout of the environment w/ regards to the playability factor (apart from the 'ramp action' element, that is). I took a look at the map and found looong stretches of highways w/out any interchanges for miles on end. OK, I love tearing up the highway at 300 mph just as dearly as the next guy but, y'know, it's nice to have the option of getting off whenever you feel like it for sheer variety's sake. The Carbon highway, for instance, seems to be the brainchild of someone who had never played an NFS title in their life - and trust me, I'm being somewhat diplomatic here. So, are there any outstanding views along those endless highways to keep you from falling asleep at the wheel or is the length supposed to enforce usage of those fancy J-turn antics & what not?

4. Someone here came up w/ the ferry idea. Hey, that's EXACTLY what I've been missing between the fish plant & Dunwich village. Either that or a raft - you'll either miss it or you won't as it's in slow yet perpetual motion - or at least a broken pier / bridge. Hands up who DOESN'T like broken bridges (one good thing about UG1) - bear in mind, please, that your suspension won't feel a thing. :-) The good ol' High Stakes days are long gone. :-(

Once again, thanks for the review.

GreedyTurbo529
11-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Sinister said, something like MW

I didnt know if what he said meant just that its during the daytime, or not, I was just wondering about the actual (in general) control of the cars

Someone here came up w/ the ferry idea. Hey, that's EXACTLY what I've been missing between the fish plant & Dunwich village. Either that or a raft - you'll either miss it or you won't as it's in slow yet perpetual motion - or at least a broken pier / bridge. Hands up who DOESN'T like broken bridges (one good thing about UG1) - bear in mind, please, that your suspension won't feel a thing. :-) The good ol' High Stakes days are long gone. :-(

High stakes jumps are the shiz, but yeah I think they are long gone too :(

Besides all that, If you run over a spike strip, can you still drive like
in Carbon or are you pretty much screwed like Most Wanted?

Double Mac
11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Good question regarding the 'strips, GT529. I'd personally love to get extra credit (points, bounty or whatever - secret track / car would be my favorite) for pulling off a particularly challenging evasion stunt - such as escaping the cops on the rims, using no pursuit breakers / speedbreaker / N2O / map / police radio whatsoever (or using them sparsely), making the cop cars crash into oncoming traffic, and so on. I wish (inevitable gripe here) EA put more effort into developing some particularities of the actual gameplay which could greatly enhance the overall experience. I mean, the game does acknowledge the fact that you've blown your tires - why not take advantage of this mishap in order to provide the user w/ some truly exciting motivation. You'd be faced w/ a simple choice: continue and (hopefully) be rewarded, get busted or, erm, crash the hell out of there into the safety of the OS.

Yeah, storyline as a means of motivating the user to be bothered to crawl / blast through a racing game! At the end of the day you're just a guy in a fancy car smashing through a swarm of kill-crazy cop cars... and guess what - you're loving it! When I played the original 'Driver' all I thought was: 'Lord, the guilt... it's unbearable. These guys are on my side, yet here I am endangering their lives, wasting their cars... Still, it has to be done. The cause I am fighting for is a noble one. And these poor souls - they have no idea who I really am.' Sure! All I can say is that the actual thoughts crossing my mind while disabling or evading a police vehicle were somewhat less than civil. The point of this rambling is: no matter how strongly EA will attempt to glorify the player's cause, in the heat of the (highway?) battle we will still go "get the f*** off my f***ing back, you f***ing pig scum, willya!!!" conveniently forgetting that we too are servants of the law now. I am not criticising an unpublished game (which does promise to be fun) here - I just have a wee problem w/ hypocrisy.

One more question then: do we get called a 'pig'? Or is it back to the good old 'punk' / 'dawg' days? :-)

Oh, and another thing... If I hear a cop saying 'he crashed into the refinery' again, I'm gonna throw a fit! Unless there does happen to be a well-modelled, interestingly laid-out refinery in there, that is. :-)

NFS CHASER
11-04-2008, 04:25 PM
I've got a small question. One thing I didn't like in MW was that unrealistically, there was barely any traffic in Rockport in general. And when you go into a pursuit, after a while, all the traffic would dissapear, and when you finished, it wouldn't come back.

In UC, can there at times be lots of traffic? Or should I say realistic amounts in the cities and on the highway? Also, when your in a pursuit, does the traffic dissapear, if so, do traffic cars start reappearing after the pursuit ends?

Also, how many heat levels are there really? I've read several previews, yours say 4, the ea forums one says 5, and the nfsplanet and unlimited one both say 9 heat levels. Or are there 4-5 main heat levels and they have sub levels now or something?

(Personally I'd like to see the crown-vic level one cops get a second heat level like other previews state, because then we might see them behave more like regular cops in real life, using some actual tactics to catch you, and not being able to be evaded by rounding a corner)

Sinister
11-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I consider the SUV and Porsche to be one heat level, as they both appear nearly at the same time but realistically EA claims 5. - the 8-9 is threat level, which amounts to where you will start off when spotted by police, to reduce threat level, change colors, cars, modify cars etc, same as carbon and MW. And they do try and use real tactics.

Traffic - Its there, too much or too little in areas, but its there.

Tournament mode, no, there's a set amount of objectives to complete before the storyline gives you another task to progress to another 'stage'

Random inspired race events no., but post this in the future concepts thread, I'll be working with information posted there for a case study down the road.

The environment seemed quite detailed and gives you things to look at, there's a shoreline of course, but I never really drove the entire city highways, so I cannot give an indepth answer to that.

Ferrys to where? - another part of the city, another city? an island test track? explain more of where you want a ferry to go.

I cannot remember the exact number of new phrases, but the police audio speech has been greatly advanced.

Spike Strips - You nail one, you may be screwed, your performance is significantly reduced depending on the factors of which tire, your speed, cornering, police presence, they will bust you more often, mostly depending on threat level..

Never noticed traffic disappearing when running from police.. They sometimes help you get away.

@greedy, hard to give an exact physics comparison, but it takes after both Prostreet and MW in their own ways, each car will handle differently, and you must adjust your driving to do so.

I think that answered all the recent questions.

Double Mac
11-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I think they should (...) make a different game. With a big open world with the posibility of taking ferrys to move to other countries.

This is the post I was referring to. Having rethought the idea though, I have to say that I'd much rather prefer a bunch of broken / unfinished bridges (preferably w/ the famous 'Golden Gun' Evel Knievel stunt twist!) & piers (or military raft chain bridges?) as a risky take on the shortcut concept. They keep you in motion as opposed to a ferry. This does slightly relate to UC as I have already expressed my dislike of the inability to get off the highway every quarter of a mile - if you feel like it - and there seems to be quite a lot of water dominating the central part of the map, hence the ferry idea. Just ignore it 'cos next thing you know - we'll be discussing the prospect of jumping onto decks of aircraft carriers, then off the runway ramp into the ocean doing the 007 Lotus thing. And lo and behold! - there's an URL event being hosted right on the bottom of the ocean floor, and Brooke Burke is wearing a wet T! How cool is that?!!! :-)

If I'm not mistaken, EA might have implemented the kind of pursuit difficulty setting acknowledgment system that I've been hoping to beintroduced in a future title ever since I got bored w/ MW - w/ the 'heroic driving' tactics. The way I understand it is: you're blasting down a highway, the cops swarm right on your tail - yet you're feeling relatively unalarmed in the safety of the speed, and the last thing you want (and need) to do is to discard all that comfort by slamming the brakes hard and turning around. The game recognizes the 'heroic' quality of your deed by rewarding you w/extra credit. That about it? Because that's what I've been doing in MW for some time now in order to make the pursuits more, erm, challenging. Except - even though the cops do shout out warnings about a U-turn - the game would not deem my bravado / foolishness bonus-point-worthy. This sort of acknowledgment of your driving style tactics is another thing I definitely liked about the UG titles - as an added (positive, if you ask me) consequence you tended to drive more carefully.

As to the scenery, yeah, I know it's bound to be visually stunning - this is one of the aspects they seem to care about and emphasize the most these days. I was, however, asking about the layout of the map w/ regards to the driving fun factor. Ie, what about that southern urban area? It looks quite promising w/ its plain, angular network of streets. Take a ride through Fortuna though and you'll be praying for a way out while swallowing endless semi-identical curves. Is Carbon visually attractive? Yeah. Is Palmont a great, instantly likeable, fast car-friendly driving environment? Not to me.

Oh, and with regards to the cop speech / AI issue: the other day I hit a cruiser in MW - it went flying yet the driver said in his usual monotonous voice 'dispatch, just had a minor impact...' 'Tough guy', I naturally thought. I would say that I hope similar bugs / inconsequences do not appear in UC, but - truth be told - they make those games so much more fun.

Thanks for the answers.

GreedyTurbo529
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
youre pretty good at this whole answering ones questions thing, sin

Is EA going to have events like the race days, that were for ProStreet, and are there going to be groups like the race orgs (instead of race orgs they can be called race crews) b/c that was kinda fun giving React Team Sessions hell all of the time!:D

Speedy77
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow here's a question I'm surprised we all forgot to ask lol. Will we be seeing a return to the convenient "My Cars" feature where cars are free and customizable like in the older NFS games before Prostreet? Or will we be forced to by and customize our own cars with or own money again?

Sinister
11-05-2008, 06:49 PM
My Cars - Not yet but we had discussed.

greedy- I currently do not know what plans EA has for future online community race days.

Double mac. - as for the driving along at a high rate of speed, the double tap reverse will stop you and put you into reverse within a few seconds, all used to help you get away from more police if you get too boxed in. Changing directions eludes officers more prominently.

GreedyTurbo529
11-06-2008, 07:47 PM
This might be a dumb question, but its not like Ive never asked one before, but are there bounties, as in you run from from the cops and increase your bounty, in Undercover?

GTR
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
So, it doesn't have dashboard view, and it doesn't even have replays.

Now how the **** is this going back to the roots? Those were the most obvious features of all NFS games since R&T until PU.

Sinister
11-07-2008, 06:31 PM
This might be a dumb question, but its not like Ive never asked one before, but are there bounties, as in you run from from the cops and increase your bounty, in Undercover?

The new term for bounty this year is property destruction.

R8CCXVeyron
11-08-2008, 03:57 AM
Property destruction? I thought that was a different term from bounty? Well was in NFS MW.

Double Mac
11-08-2008, 05:03 AM
EA has made it common practice to use fancy names for old features. Isn't a 'grip race' essentially a good old circuit? You can safely expect more of these coming in future releases. Perhaps we could start a contest w/ regards to what terms they are yet to come up w/ for, say, 'drift', 'drag', 'career mode', 'outrun', 'autosculpt'...

The reasoning behind this is that they can advertise a feature as a new addition to an 'already amazing array' - nice alliteration, huh? - of options, rather than a mere reintroduction of an already digested (& if any good / successful - expected to be included anyway) concept. We have thoroughly revised the 'tollbooth trial' mode sounds somewhat different from: 'TT' makes a comeback, only this time under the moniker 'checkpoint race', doesn't it?

For my part, I'm wondering whether the heavily-advertised 'highway battle' craze is, indeed, an invention or yet another instance of repackaging an ancient concept. (I haven't done any research though, I have to admit.)

On a positive note, I'm surprised that EA decided to use the phrase 'UC' as the title - seems to me that they're either 1) too confident about the game's quality to worry about any potential harm coming from superficial analogies; 2) convinced that nobody out there remembers 'Driver'. :-)

R8CCXVeyron
11-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Hmm yea. Makes sense. Maybe they called it a "checkpoint race" because there aren't any tollbooths in UC?

Oh btw, oldest Driver I played was the second one. Love jumping that bridge. :D

Double Mac
11-08-2008, 05:19 AM
@ R8CCX: Uhm, I was referring to Carbon, actually. And, true, there isn't a single tollbooth in sight in there either but it doesn't stop the race mode from being essentially the same thing it was in MW.

I'd love to jump that bridge you mentioned - unfortunately '2river' isn't available for PC, I believe. :-( I only played the original game, and I think EA should learn from its extensive use of the provided environment - I'm referring to the 'driving games' section here.

Sinister
11-08-2008, 05:33 AM
stating it that way double Mac - Highway battle is just Outrun with a timer.

Double Mac
11-08-2008, 06:03 AM
@ Sinister: Thanks! I was hoping I would trick you into clarifying that one. :-) So... the outrun mode is back (which gets me intrigued) albeit w/ time-limit restrictions (which doesn't exactly make me over-enthusiastic unless that restriction comes as an option & there are cops thrown into the 'battle's' mix who would try 'n' make the opponent's life as difficult as yours, NFSHS-style - ie you're not the only loser on the road who gets his tires blown, let alone granted the privilege of getting busted on an equally exclusive basis).

Something as innocent as the inclusion of a wee 'just' in your clarification didn't exactly help me w/ getting over-excited about the whole HB feature either, I'm afraid. :-)

Speedy77
11-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Holy crap Sinister, just checked out the video and customization is rediculous! I don't know why EA said that it's not good, it's even better than Prostreet (just as long as we can put as many vinyls on). I love the choice of gloss vinyls on matte cars, looks awesome. For those of you who haven't checked it out already, go to the main page and check out the new video!

MclarenX
11-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, it seems much like Prostreet's except it actually seems a lot more user-friendly and easy to use. Honestly, I really enjoyed just looking at the smoothness of it all (got my Prostreet on a Wii a long while back, so I guess you know how I that level of customization is a bit knew to me with those graphics).

The new adjustable camera is a good idea, the new paint system is a good idea, previewing the vinyl style in their categorized manner with a picture of it was a good idea, hell, everything was a great improvement from what I'm used to.

However, it was a bit strange that they didn't show any body and performance parts (exactly the parts you mentioned) in the video...

R8CCXVeyron
11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Whoa whoa link please. Couldn't find it in the main page. :\

MclarenX
11-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Don't know what you mean by that, but sure

Original site (if you can't access it from the NFSCars homepage*):

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42522.html

* this is what I think you mean, so is it?

R8CCXVeyron
11-08-2008, 09:39 AM
LOL He meant main page of NFSCars. I was thinking main page of needforspeed.com

Wow. I'm blown away. I can't believe it. The customization is frikkin awesome.
I can picture a matte grey GT500 with gloss white stripes. ^_^

NFS CHASER
11-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I just watched a few videos and I noticed two things that might be a problem.

The people in the videos seem to have trouble taking corners, and the steering of the cars seems extremely sensitive and jerky, and their trouble may be related to this.

Also, I watched the street race video on IGN, and I noticed that the track with TRAFFIC in the open CITY is barred off by metal barriers! What's up with that? That sure as hell doesn't look like a street race to me!

So I'm wondering about the steering and if it's the norm in undercover for your illegal street races in the city to be barred off like closed tracks. What's your take on this Sinister?

Sinister
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Double Mac - You did not trick me into anything, you stated something, I added detail, where's the trick?

Vinyls, I'm not entirely 100% sure but it was something like 10-20 vinyls total, not extensive, but I could be wrong, (I never tested that).

Steering is sensitive at lower speeds, and the drivers were just not overly trying to drive well.
circuit racing is just that, circuit. The barred off areas are just to keep you on the track.

R8CCXVeyron
11-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I just watched a few videos and I noticed two things that might be a problem.

The people in the videos seem to have trouble taking corners, and the steering of the cars seems extremely sensitive and jerky, and their trouble may be related to this.

Yea it does seem kinda jerky... It's either that, or he's not driving well. :\

MclarenX
11-09-2008, 04:07 AM
It does seem a bit strange that the steering seemed normal during the customization videos short period of freeroam and some of the other videos that include that blue 240sx (at least I think it's one) that we keep seeing recently, but jerky during the HDE demo and certain highway battle vids.

R8CCXVeyron
11-09-2008, 04:43 AM
But the 370Z cop chase vid didn't look like the car was jerking around alot. ALL THIS INCONSISTENCY!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

NFS CHASER
11-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Circuit racing is just that, circuit. The barred off areas are just to keep you on the track.

So it's only in circuit racing? In circuit races then, the idea is that your racing on an enclosed, legal track in the city? With traffic, on an enclosed track? I don't know about you but IMO that creates a really weird picture.

R8CCXVeyron
11-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Well IMO it's better and more realistic than nonexistant huge neon sign that make it very easy to navigate through the race. Ok so maybe it's not better, but it is realistic. :)

NFS CHASER
11-09-2008, 05:49 AM
How is it realistic at all? It just kinda ruins it for me.

So your having your illegal street race on an enclosed supposedly legal track that is closed off yet has traffic and probably police (that can probably seep through the solid barriers) in the middle of Tri-City.

The neon sign things were so much better, because they were transparent, and fictional. They did their job perfectly. They showed that in actuality, the since you were street racing, in the open city that none of the roads are actually blocked off, hence the barrier arrows being transparent, and with traffic and polcie being able to drive through as if they didn't exist, which they didn't.

But the impression they give is that your in the middle of a race and you're not just going to fly off in the opposite direction you're suposed to go, but your going to keep going to the finish line, and that's just what they do, keep you going to the finish line.

R8CCXVeyron
11-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Hmm yea that's right. Maybe they airlifted to the track. XD

Double Mac
11-09-2008, 08:32 AM
@ Sinister: The 'trick' lay in not asking a direct question, and hoping that you would comment on my speculation - which you did. I did not mean to imply that you were nave in doing so - merely that even though I had been too damn lazy to go & do some research on the subject, you were still kind & supportive enough to answer. Just that. Then again, what with English not being my native tongue, my vocabulary choice might seem questionable, if not pretentious, at times.

Barriers: You guys all have valid points. My (usual) take on the issue is to have the developers provide us w/ some options regarding the solidity & appearance of track boundaries. Personally I'd be happy w/ 3-4 of those:

1A) No ('artificial' - ie buildings & solid fences can obviously stay) barriers whatsoever - FlatOut 2-style (off the top of my garden shed - I'm sure you have other reference points). This adds a degree of realism & enhances the racing difficulty. Say, you get extra credit if you choose this variant.

1B) Same as above, except w/ immaterial, translucent arrows serving as purely visual guides / track direction reminders - UG1-style. Less credit.

2A) Traditional concrete blocks w/arrows on them - Carmageddon-style. Even less credit because - due to their solidity - they help you stay on the track. And, unless EA starts treating the damage issue seriously, they practically make things easier for you.

2B) Standard UG2 => Carbon implementation - self-explanatory. Little credit, as you don't even experience any severe speed loss if you let them 'guide' you through most corners.

As an additional option it would be neat to decide whether you get 1) automatically reset (having strayed somewhat away from the track) or 2) continue racing while trying to find your way back by yourself.

Compare the 'duel' & 'drift' mode vs standard 'sprint' versions of the canyon tracks in Carbon - now, these are actually loaded from separate files (some inconsequences in the topography are quite shocking, in fact!), but the (barrier behavior) concept itself merits further development, I believe.

Everyone happy or did I leave out sth vital? :-)

Sinister
11-09-2008, 08:40 AM
There are sections of track, where if you fly by your corner at 200mph.. it may take you two blocks to turn back onto the track, or pull a 180 and return to the original area you left, but you may lose more often, the less hardcore gamers would not like this. Remember, NFS is aimed for all gamer types not just the hardcore racers who want a free roam barrier-less circuit.

GreedyTurbo529
11-09-2008, 08:41 AM
As long as it keeps me on the right course I dont really care about the barriers, of curse I do like the pretty, flashy, shiny, and transparent arrows

@ Sinister: precisely why I dont like Midnight Club

Double Mac
11-09-2008, 09:04 AM
(...) The less hardcore gamers would not like this. Remember, NFS is aimed for all gamer types not just the hardcore racers who want a free roam barrier-less circuit.

Precisely why I came up w/ the barrier-customizability concept. (Let's forget about the rewarding system issue - ie, less or more credit w/ regards to the preferred option's difficulty level - for the time being.) I can imagine that most players would just want to breeze through the career mode the first time over - hence the majority would resort to using barriers. It would be nice, however, to be able to increase the complexity of gameplay (by, say, removing the boundaries altogether) once you gain familiarity w/ the environment.

I understand, however, that this belongs in the 'future concepts' thread rather than here.

Sinister
11-09-2008, 09:26 AM
or, they would just leave the barriers in, making it easier to win on a regular basis.

not all gamers enjoy racing the same track multiple times because they continually lose because they miss one corner either by not watching, or by the AI putting them off course.

I couldn't care either way, but circuit tracks are just that, closed tracks made into a loop, forcing you to follow the same course as everyone else.

GreedyTurbo529
11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Ive read that there are short cuts, so you dont have to take the same route all the time, if that makes anyone happy :)

R8CCXVeyron
11-09-2008, 10:18 AM
lol We're going to have some jumps as well. If you saw in that circuit vid.

Aright I got a question.
Can you make a police car out of any car? 'Cause I saw an ad and the Porsche GT2 turned to a cop car complete with blinkers on the bumper and roof.

Could we choose which cop car we would want to drive in Cops and Robbers mode?

NFS CHASER
11-10-2008, 05:05 AM
Hmm yea that's right. Maybe they airlifted to the track. XD

By then you might as well have called the Tri-City cops and told them your racing.

And Double Mac, I think you're missing my point. Transparent arrow barriers still block your way, as in you can crash into them, but they show you you are street racing, their function si exactly the same. I don't care if the races have a specific route you must follow, it just disturbs me that EA thinks illegal street races are often closed off by metal barriers. I'd much rather them use the neon transparent arrows.

What I'm talking about here is that this is not NFS: Prostreet, you are not racing on closed-off legal tracks, that lack traffic and police.

This is NFS: Undercover. You're street racing, illegally, on the open roads of Tri-City, congested with civilian traffic, and police, trying to hunt you down. And Imo, there's something seriously wrong with the visual picture of having visually solidified none-transparent metal barriers just magically appear, to block off your supposed street race. That is completely and utterly unrealistic, because it is not a street race then.

And in the videos, with the metal barriers, there is traffic. That probably means that traffic can seep through solid metal barriers onto your track, that or they just decided that before you somehow magically set up metal barriers for your street race in the middle of Tri-City without attracting police attention. They wanted to drive around the track with you guys. Both create an odd picture, yes? And if UC is anything like MW police will chase you during races.

But the way I see it, in Undercover, you aren't really street racing.

Sinister
11-10-2008, 05:52 AM
As linkin put it, NFS is an "Urban Racer".

R8CCxVeyron - In cops and robbers, you can chose between the 5 differernt police cars already available, so no you cannot customize any random car to become a police car, there would be alot of mclaren and veyron cops if that was available.

R8CCXVeyron
11-10-2008, 05:59 AM
Yea true...

Well can we customize those 5?

Double Mac
11-10-2008, 05:59 AM
By then you might as well have called the Tri-City cops and told them your racing.

Huh huh! Splendid idea! 'We got a couple of guys about to street-race here in the shipyards - you better send the cops right away... maybe an ambulance too.' Personally, I'd love to be able to decide - at least in single race / challenge mode - whether the cops are to appear & at what particular heat level. I also think that it would be cool to continue the pursuit if you so choose - the way this happens in MW & Carbon's career mode. I hate it when I get teleported to the menu just when the fun is about to begin.

How could I miss your point when I presented just about every possible option (well, maybe w/ the exception of GPS-style navigation - but I find it quite annoying, ie misleading, anyway)? You're right about the illogicality of having both the traditional racetrack barriers & traffic / cops at the same time... although this concept has been w/us since NFSHP (albeit as an option) if you care to remember.

Besides, EA's approach (that you described) might have sth to do w/ their trying to 'clean up their rep' w/ regards to the illegal behavior that some of the previous titles seem to encourage. (The 'drive safely' disclaimers are there for a reason.) After all, you're playing a cop in UC - you have a noble cause, eh?

Having finally gotten around to watching a few gameplay videos I can't help but:

1) recall 'Driver' - via the missions aspect & even the actual in-game voice messages ('you did a good job'; 'if you manage to pull this off we'll think of sth more challenging for you'). But I loved 'Driver' anyway, so that's hardly an accusation. I don't have a problem w/ ideas being shuffled around, borrowed or, eh, semi-borrowed... as long as the final product benefits from their implementation.

2) feel relieved that Mr Agostini (MW's lead gfx designer, if I remember correctly) is (apparently) back - and w/ a vengeance & some romantic autumn-gilded sections to boot. There's even his trademark 'Little Italy' themepark in there as well.

3) welcome the fact that you can actually get totaled in HB mode.

4) appreciate the reintroduction of 'style point'-awarded driving techniques & gameplay events, especially the 'near miss' which I really, well, missed in MW (as you didn't really care much about the prospect of a traffic collision).

CVPI19
11-16-2008, 09:45 AM
If the Cops N Robbers mode is confirmed then what this its mentioned as the features for the PC, XBox 360 and PS3's features in addition to the Nintendo DS version's features.

* Go Deep Undercover - Race into an action-packed story of pursuit and betrayal. Take on jobs and compete in races to prove yourself as you infiltrate and take down an international crime syndicate.
* Highway Battle - Fight off the cops and others as you take down your prey in high-speed, high stake multi-car chases. New and vastly improved AI mechanics mean more aggressive and intelligent cops focused on taking you out fast and by any means necessary.
* Criminal Scramble - Be a cop and chase down criminals in the Criminal Scramble Mode.
* Heroic Driving Engine - An all-new game engine lets you pull off amazing moves for the ultimate driving edge.

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=95001300

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=95004700

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=107941200

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=95017900

To Sinister I wonder if EA were wrong about these features for the 360, PC, and PS3 since its on their shop's page and on some sites and also some places with these versions for preorder list different features this is still confusing.

Sinister
11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Scramble is for Handhelds.

CVPI19
11-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Scramble is for Handhelds.

Ok I wanted the truth since that has been up and also the cops n robbers is also for the wii in party play mode leaving the PS2 and cell phone with no cop modes at all then. At the official need for speed forums at ea.com's feedback forum I along with alot people suggested the return of the full blown single player offline cop mode for the future. I see the chase based mission where the player does the chasing instead being chased as the closest thing to Criminal Scramble for the PC, 360, Wii, PS2 and PS3 even if its with the career car and no cop lights. I see this as a possible slow return of the full cop mode in the future that is what I believe. I plan to get the Nintendo DS version for the Criminal Scramble mode version and Chase Down is also for the PSP version only. Other than waiting for the game's format to be cracked and hacking save files to allow police cars to be driven in career mode like most wanted then only then I see the cop missions where you do the chasing will be even more fun to with.

Sinister
11-16-2008, 11:46 AM
There are 'some' jobs in career, which you are doing the chasing. Not many, but some. As far as I remember though, They are in your career car, and you only steal a police car once in the game, which I'm guessing you cannot turn the lights on in.

CVPI19
11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
There are 'some' jobs in career, which you are doing the chasing. Not many, but some. As far as I remember though, They are in your career car, and you only steal a police car once in the game, which I'm guessing you cannot turn the lights on in.

Like I said I look forward to seeing these jobs with the police cars being used through hex edited save files like with Most Wanted. Meaning it will be more fun with a modified save file and with the cracked game format I hope it happens.

Kevin Shea
12-04-2008, 04:24 AM
This is a good game

nfswidge
12-31-2008, 06:54 AM
loving the game, great for achievements.

THRT1
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
great game .