View Full Version : so I've played the game and... "ADD YOUR REVIEW HERE!"

JasonDaPsycho
11-18-2008, 09:00 AM
To sum up the whole thing:
1. The car handles may take some time to get used to
2. Graphics isn't of next gen quality
3. Cop chases are flat out lame. It isn't tense at all and you won't start to enjoy until lv 5 chases (there are more than 5 levels I guess, since there weren't Porches or GT-Rs)
4. Not sure about cars, but a Corvette C2 is present, and it handles like other tuners
5. so far, the assignments those bad guys give you are just delivery of cars (w/ cops), not big difference from any other pursuits (except for the time limit)
6. best thing about the game so far is that you can burn your rubbers
7. gets repetitive quickly
8. may suffer some framerate issues
9. first Cingular, now T-mobile?

personal rating (so far): 6/10

screens (I pray to God EA doesn't sue me):
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc01.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc02.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc03.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc04.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc05.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc07.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/Jason_da_psycho/uc09.jpg

FOX
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
I feel bad after reading all that.

OZ
11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
i don't see that as a spoiler. It would be if he had posted stuff about the game storyline... besides, anything he said can be saw on the videos around the web

FOX
11-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Maybe yes but I still feel like it was discouraging from playing when reading that.
Almost same was with Carbon and PS. I actually liked both of those games, whereas everyone was only flaming them. OFC there was no particular story etc but I liked the racing. At least till some point [in PS] but that's a different story...

Myojinoir
11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Okay, i might as well post my critique and review about the game - Need For Speed Undercover.

This year we get a nice loading screen, and after that a cute little NFS Uc logo, which is then followed by another loading screen, then the game asks to log on EA Nation(Y/N), and then yet another loading screen...Which is quite cute as well.
We start off with a cinematic which turns into a police pursuit, you driving a Nissan Z370 and trying to evade the police, which you succeed. Then another cinematic - and we`re ready to start the game.
Reminds of NFS Carbon, no?

You start with a Nissan 240 SX, a bluuuue 240 SX. And are ready to launch the first race, by pressing Tab, yes nearest race to your car initiates automatically and you can either start it or drive further to initiate another one.

So much for the beginning.

Graphics:
Graphics are something similar to Most Wanted and Pro Street combined, i guess you`ve figured that. Maybe i`m the first to encounter this, but the game doesnt load the whole map at once, since it`s quite big, it loads only a small part, as soon as you are nearing the boundary of the loaded part of the map, the game pauses automatically and quickly loads the parts of the further region on the map. It`s a little bothersome, but if you ahve a faster PC, i guess you shouldnt suffer much from that.
7/10

Physics:
I don`t know what`s Juiced 2 like, but to me the physics seemed familiar to Carbon more than MW.
See a video about NFS Uc physics for better info, it`s quite complicated to explain.
5/10

Cars:
Yup, there are quite many cars available in the game, less than NFS PS though. In that count a Buggati Veyron, McLaren F1 and, you had doubts about this, McLaren Mercedes SLR too! That`s just a small example.
Yes the car has damage, something similar to NFS PS damage model, just less advanced. The performance doesnt suffer from that though.
7/10

Car Visual/Performance upgrade(rice)
We have our good old stock autosculpt, 3 other autosculpt and a wide body autosculpt kits. Quite boring.
A large amount of wheels and brands, they left out O.Z. ..
Exhaust tips are back, and now available on stock body as well(unlike NFS PS).
Colors, well, we get the same differnt color themes - metalic, chrome, gloss, iridiscent, pearl, and we get the old NFS color rainbow window(only worse).
As for performance, Street, Race, Pro part tiers... fine you get the idea.
Tuning, not as advanced as in NFS PS, but good enough.
6/10

Police:
Probably the most agressive cops yet, unless you have only 1 unit on your tale, you can quicky evade it, cos then they seem too lazy to chase you.
6/10

Race types:
Sprint - you know what that is, we love it.
Checkpoint - yes.. again.
Circuit - there`s no NFS without it.
Highway rush hour outrun - quite an easy kind of race, just stay first for 300m distance and you win.
Outrun - stay first for some amount of time.
Car theft - You steal a car from a shop/car lot or whatever and you have to bring it to a concrete point. Quite interesting and the idea is from Gone in 60 seconds.
Pursuit/Damage to property - evade the police or crush some police cars, nothing special, but sometimes challenging.
Maybe there`s some other race i havent mentioned yet, if you know, correct me and add some =)
8/10

Overall personal rating - 6,5/10

Xetrem190
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
For those who got the game and played it. Tell about it here. Dont try to say any spoilers tho that might ruin it for the people who are about to get it anyway.

Whats my impression? I think the game is like TDU, altho it looks better. Sadly, I dont have a very good computer for this game and I get HUGE lags (tried putting to to minimum). So far the storyline looks weird, but for the cops. I think I like them very much. They are more aggressive and harder to destroy. Well done on that part. But what do you guys think?

XY_Futura
11-19-2008, 10:10 AM
well all i can say is i love my Veyron.... i finnished the game in less then a day.... and its whicked with a g25 steering wheel and the H pattern.

OZ
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
For those who got the game and played it. Tell about it here. Dont try to say any spoilers tho that might ruin it for the people who are about to get it anyway.

Whats my impression? I think the game is like TDU, altho it looks better. Sadly, I dont have a very good computer for this game and I get HUGE lags (tried putting to to minimum). So far the storyline looks weird, but for the cops. I think I like them very much. They are more aggressive and harder to destroy. Well done on that part. But what do you guys think?

lets not make a mess of our forum shall we, there's no need to make a new topic about your personal view of the game if there's one already going at it.

THE STAFF

Xetrem190
11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
lets not make a mess of our forum shall we, there's no need to make a new topic about your personal view of the game if there's one already going at it.

THE STAFF

*nods and does the look of "point taken"*

Linkin
11-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I like it so far. I'm taking my time and just dicking around with the cops. The physics are definitely from ProStreet.

06FERRARIENZO
11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
hey Xetrem190 what exactly do you mean So far the storyline looks weird.
don't tell me they made another bad storyline!

maggit
11-19-2008, 02:07 PM
*Pretends amazement* No way... EA?

xxaznboixx
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I like it so far. I'm taking my time and just dicking around with the cops. The physics are definitely from ProStreet.

Engine sounds as well :)

Xetrem190
11-19-2008, 04:17 PM
hey Xetrem190 what exactly do you mean So far the storyline looks weird.
don't tell me they made another bad storyline!

I dont know the storyline very well at this point. Well obviously because I just started playing it. Sadly the game lags so badly in my pc :( Im broke, hopefully my computer breaks down and we can buy a new one.

proost
11-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Darn, NFSPS physics were such a turn-off :S those high speed tracks were just unplayable and frustrating. Turning a car was so unrealistic. I hope you are wrong :D

xxaznboixx
11-19-2008, 06:03 PM
NFSUC Turning is NOTHING like PS thank god.

t3ku
11-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Played a few hours of it tonight and... well It's 10x better than Carbon....nough said.

But really,

Game is very fast paced, you start with a 240sx(yes...again) but it doesnt take but a few races to swap that pos for a faster ride, then upgrades becomes available and another car a little later. Basically it isnt like UG2 where it took FOREVER racing at >100 before getting nice cars and upgrades, right off the start you get decent cars and speed.

The vocals for police are a lot more realistic, though I already noticed the female officer say many times "It's some kind of blue sports car, let me get a better look..." but for the most part, much better than Most Wanted.

Physics, this is interesting... The gameplay is similar to PGR, MW and Carbon, difference is... like PGR all the cars handle differently, BUT it's easy to adapt and get used to driving each after only a few races. Honestly, although twitchy at times(Elise LoL) the physics are pretty good considering the past few games.

Gameplay, some fo the features... get annoying, like you cant disable the jump cam this time around, and whenever you throw it into reverse the camera goes all weird and I wrecked so many times trying to spin around cause of it.
Several types of racing, Sprint(point to point), Circuit(multiple laps), Outrun(remember UG2), Highway Battle(similar to outrun), Jobs(stealing cars and delivering them whiel trying not to smash it up while being chased by police LOL). Game is quite fun, this isnt the same old 3 race types, blah, much better.

Storyline, just...meh idc about it, it gets... interesting at times, but I play racing games for racing, not rp.

Music, muuuuuch better than the crap on PS, Carbon and MW, hell I actually recognize most of the artists/songs when MW was random and Carbon was just wtf...
Music is randomized and I havnt noticed a way to select tracks like on MW, but like I said they are much better, so even the few annoying rap songs can be tolerated. When the Pendulum song started playing I was like Oh shi...

Menus, although fairly straightforward, things like the Rim menu... everything is just crammed into that one tab and no sub categories for brands like Enkei, BBS, Volk, ect.. Just... SCROLL THROUGH THE 100 rims LOL -_-
Fairly good selection though, I keep sticking with Enkei WDMs for some reason >_>

Visuals... eh... vinyls are a tad better than MW, bodykits are... meh, just been sticking with stock on everything thus far. Actually a decent selection of not over the top wings(like rear lips), shocking?

Let me just say, cops are a LOT harder to take out than on MW, they got them realistically heavy this time around. It will take several HARD hits to disable a cop car, or a pursuit breaker to get them off your tail. Some high speed driving can do it too. Overall they work together and drive a lot more aggressively, I actually found it a challenge to lose them on several occasions.

The mini map.. is a pita to read or follow because of the color(all blue/teal), but for the most part the game is so fast paced that you dont need to memorize the surroundings or map, so...

You can now jump from event to event by hitting down on the Dpad without having to drive to them(UG2, MW), the world is still open(so you can still drive around and explore) but you dont need to.

Overall... I rate the game thus far a 7/10 compared to games like PGR and Forza.

06FERRARIENZO
11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
sorry about your pc Xetrem190 hope you can get a new one soon.
today i read that undercover has no main menu could any one please tell me if this is true?

t3ku
11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
The only menu it really has is the start menu, everything can be navigated via that.

At start of game it shows the *press start screen* but after that it's just like Test Drive Unlimited, no menus ingame.

Like to get to the garage/shops you would hit Start and then go to cars, from there you can select garage, shop(cars), visuals and performance.

edlemur
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
YdDMrncAy4U

t3ku
11-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Not auto play please..

xxaznboixx
11-20-2008, 12:45 AM
Played a few hours of it tonight and... well It's 10x better than Carbon....nough said.

But really,

Game is very fast paced, you start with a 240sx(yes...again) but it doesnt take but a few races to swap that pos for a faster ride, then upgrades becomes available and another car a little later. Basically it isnt like UG2 where it took FOREVER racing at >100 before getting nice cars and upgrades, right off the start you get decent cars and speed.

The vocals for police are a lot more realistic, though I already noticed the female officer say many times "It's some kind of blue sports car, let me get a better look..." but for the most part, much better than Most Wanted.

Physics, this is interesting... The gameplay is similar to PGR, MW and Carbon, difference is... like PGR all the cars handle differently, BUT it's easy to adapt and get used to driving each after only a few races. Honestly, although twitchy at times(Elise LoL) the physics are pretty good considering the past few games.

Gameplay, some fo the features... get annoying, like you cant disable the jump cam this time around, and whenever you throw it into reverse the camera goes all weird and I wrecked so many times trying to spin around cause of it.
Several types of racing, Sprint(point to point), Circuit(multiple laps), Outrun(remember UG2), Highway Battle(similar to outrun), Jobs(stealing cars and delivering them whiel trying not to smash it up while being chased by police LOL). Game is quite fun, this isnt the same old 3 race types, blah, much better.

Storyline, just...meh idc about it, it gets... interesting at times, but I play racing games for racing, not rp.

Music, muuuuuch better than the crap on PS, Carbon and MW, hell I actually recognize most of the artists/songs when MW was random and Carbon was just wtf...
Music is randomized and I havnt noticed a way to select tracks like on MW, but like I said they are much better, so even the few annoying rap songs can be tolerated. When the Pendulum song started playing I was like Oh shi...

Menus, although fairly straightforward, things like the Rim menu... everything is just crammed into that one tab and no sub categories for brands like Enkei, BBS, Volk, ect.. Just... SCROLL THROUGH THE 100 rims LOL -_-
Fairly good selection though, I keep sticking with Enkei WDMs for some reason >_>

Visuals... eh... vinyls are a tad better than MW, bodykits are... meh, just been sticking with stock on everything thus far. Actually a decent selection of not over the top wings(like rear lips), shocking?

Let me just say, cops are a LOT harder to take out than on MW, they got them realistically heavy this time around. It will take several HARD hits to disable a cop car, or a pursuit breaker to get them off your tail. Some high speed driving can do it too. Overall they work together and drive a lot more aggressively, I actually found it a challenge to lose them on several occasions.

The mini map.. is a pita to read or follow because of the color(all blue/teal), but for the most part the game is so fast paced that you dont need to memorize the surroundings or map, so...

You can now jump from event to event by hitting down on the Dpad without having to drive to them(UG2, MW), the world is still open(so you can still drive around and explore) but you dont need to.

Overall... I rate the game thus far a 7/10 compared to games like PGR and Forza.

Wow someone that feels the same way about this game...

Losing police on jobs is HARD, considering some you cant dmg the car too much.

I only wish there were more choices for body kits. In carbon I always liked using the Stock front of the Evo IX, changing the skirts, Rear, and spoiler.

Myojinoir
11-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Yea, adding to the list - car editing is like "Meh, i dont wanna do anything." Cos` imo the vinyl menu is very messed up and isnt appealing.

Linkin
11-20-2008, 02:30 AM
The menus are a little annoying and confusing. Is there any way to check game progress and or style points accumulated? I can't seem to find anything.

t3ku
11-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Havnt noticed anything no, though you can always check achievements via 360 dashboard. Pc version, no idea.

Menus do take some getting used to, I kind of like them though.

proost
11-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Lol! Have been playing for like 1 hour and i'm already bored. I love the cars though, but the handling is not that good.
Also, framerate troubles and the quality of graphics is sooo bad :o I tried all settings including "best" and that still sucks..

F.R.
11-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Lol! Have been playing for like 1 hour and i'm already bored. I love the cars though, but the handling is not that good.
Also, framerate troubles and the quality of graphics is sooo bad :o I tried all settings including "best" and that still sucks..

Maybe your graphics card can't handle the best performance for the game:o

xxaznboixx
11-20-2008, 09:16 AM
The menus are a little annoying and confusing. Is there any way to check game progress and or style points accumulated? I can't seem to find anything.

I know in the PC version look at the GPS map, then press 2 for world view, from there you should see a tick called progress or stats, (i think the button is 1)

As far as FPS goes, its running fairly well on my computer. The first time I played it lagged on me first the first hour of playing. After that for some reason it runs atleast 80FPS now. The settings were always at Medium to High

proost
11-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Maybe your graphics card can't handle the best performance for the game:o
I said "I tried all settings" to avoid this kind of response but it didnt help apparently

Porsche_fanatic
11-20-2008, 11:35 AM
OK... here I go with my version of a review of the game

First off, let me be very very clear that I've been addicted to Racedriver GRID, so this may look a little biased

Graphics.. my system ran everything including Crysis at very high details at 1152x864 at a consistent 30-40 FPS, so i was expecting the game to run 1280x960 (max resolution that my monitor supports) at about 30 FPS, but looks like the EA skimped on optimization... the whole game stutters like it's being programmed to do so to increase the difficulty level, which I'll get back to after a while. The shadows look like I'm running 800x600 resolution, the sun moves across the skies on it's accord, this moves the shadows as you move along, which certainly make matters worse. Then there's a grave issue, there are some points in the map where you turn into a corner, and find nothing, no roads, no buildings only open skies, and suddenly out of nowhere everything comes back into perspective, I've seen bigger worlds than this, but this just rubbish on EA's part. 5/10

Gameplay.. there are people who'll be in alleys, talking crap all along, n then there's the Maggie Q, pathetic is just an understatement, I've seen better dialogue delivery and acting from a 6 year old .... opponent skill is something which i would rather not talk about, because it's completely in tune with toddlers, which seem to have been the target audience for EA in the first place... the term 'dominated' is used more often than the number of hair I've got on my head. All in all, the game feels like it's been hurried all along. And the hatred starts to grow deeper, when you think of all the bullshit they gave over longer development cycles, 2 teams working for two years, and how THIS game took 18months or something to come to reality..... and the prostreet damage system, which did look quite convincing in it's days is gone, if you had to protect your car in a police chase, then why bother putting visual damage on it... when it will be 'magically' gone once you are done with whatever you are doing ?? (EDIT: how could i forget the famed 'open world' which makes a comeback, the only time you'll be using it is when you get bored of everything it offers, and just WANT to explore, everything from races to upgrades is found on your GPS and IN your garage in the escape menu, no idea how the parts turn up IN your garage, even buying new cars is done simply by pressing escape.... shitloads of bullshit I must say) 4.5/10

Physics... same old EA's half-assed effort shows here too, it looks as if they took all the games since most wanted, took the worst out of everything, put it in a blender and gave it in undercover, the cars hardly ever oversteers or understeers in any turns... except the time when you start off, where you'll be fish-tailing all over the place. the '67 corvette stingray delivery, had a few bumps in the route... the car bounced 2 times after a hump, i guess they did give an afterthought about how to keep their audience involved in the driving, of course get the car to bounce along...!! so in Prostreet, the car wouldn't turn because they took up the handling physics from Railroad Tycoon. They did better the on-rails feeling, but replaced the non-turning train with a roller coaster of some sort, quick to change direction, but staying on the rails.. 6/10

OVERALL - pretty much forgettable..
CONCLUSION - if you want a good arcade racer with cops, re-install Most Wanted, if you want it without cops, get GRID, and if you want a simulation buy a PS3, play Grand Tourismo

Myojinoir
11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
2 teams working for two years
Team 1, first 12 months:
Hey Bob, look, we`ve finished our version of NFS Uc!
Team 2, first 12 months:
Hey Philip, we`ve finished our version of NFS Uc!
Philip and Bob, at the same time: "Nice! Now lets make arangements with the other team and sticky our games together!"

2 teams, both make different games - in the last 6 months, they sticky them together and NFS Uc, as it is now - that`s what we get! ;)

sorry for spaming, but truly...

Vanexroxics
11-21-2008, 12:54 AM
i'd say the game is 20x better than Carbon and PS.

one is...you get more choice of cars (like the Pontiac Firebird, Corvette Stingray etc.)
secondly, you now get to "Be The Cop", thank god EA.
lastly, the graphics are way better than what it was in PS.

but the soundtrack was kinda disappointing. Just to let you know guys, on the PSP version, you can insert Custom Tracks for menu play, but not in-game play.

t3ku
11-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Played it some more...

Few things.

#1: You will race cars dependent upon it's class, 5-1, if you drive an elise you will face Tier 5 apponents, however if you upgrade the car enough you will be going up against Tier 4-3. Same goes for if you drive a Tier 4 car and upgrade it too much, you'll be up against Tier 2-1 opponents. Discovered this after upgrading my RX7 and then racing... I went from cars of the same class to SLR Mclarens and Gallardo 560s, both of which are annoyingly fast.

#2: Cops do not always show on the mini map radar, you might run into one on occasion that did not show up and if you're over the limit, chase time. Random events occur during gameplay that can cause cops to go on high alert at any given time; I exploring around the map and over the com "We have reports of a bank robbery in progress, shots fired, all officers please clear non essential calls and respond" to be honest...I wasnt expecting to ever hear something like that and once the com clicked off there were cops EVERYWHERE. Cops may and will chase opponent cars, but dont think theyll slack off on you because of the other drivers.
Cops also may randomly begin a pursuit on you, even if you're under the limit; I was driving at 45mph in a 55 zone and suddenly a cop came at me and over com "I will be pulling over a suspicious looking car" -_-

#3 some cars have very weird handling and performance, I drove the Elise and the RX7 yesterday and the Elise can turn on a dime, never flip and has superb performance for its class; The RX7 is fast, but understeers like crazy and flips very very easily... I flipped 3x in once race after scraping a wall(seriously wtf?). The Elise was one of the best cars from MW and I'll say it is in this game as well, if you drive it and don't upgrade the engine too much you will just destroy the AI, the downside is police can push that car like a toy.

#4 Some races will leave you wondering who the hell designed the course... I had one or two races where no matter what I did coming around a few corners, I always collided with a median or obstacle, and it wasnt just me either, the AI also ALL collided in the same spot and piled up like a train wreck(funny to watch though).

#5 It is VERY hard to spin an opponent car, 90% of the time you yourself will get slammed into a wall, spun around or flipped trying to take out an opponent. Same goes for police...
My suggestion is to avoid colliding with other cars entirely(especially non police AI), had to restart races multiple times because of colliding with a car mid turn and them somehow spinning me by hitting my front quarter panel and then I sub-sequentially got hit by every other passing car.

#6: Probably the most annoying thing... Races and shops do not show up on the mini map, or while you're driving. Races will show up on the full map if you open it, but shops will not show until you find them...which means you'll have to be lucky enough to drive by one, or three..

#7: They really messed something up in the optimization... You will get FPS drops randomly all the time, the game more or less runs smoothly thanks to the motion blur, but I have had it drop to a noticeable 15fps at some points... For the record, im playing on the 360 version and rarely and do I mean rarely does a 360 game suffer FPS drops, even Forza with all the cars on the screen didnt have a hiccup, nor did PGR 2, 3, 4.

Just a few side things... fun events like rain are gone, no night driving either, things like that although small made the game seem more realistic because it would just randomly start raining or exit a shop and it's night time... nope gone.
Bodykits....although better than MW, stock autosculpt wins 90% of the time over the kits and of course the only decent kit is the widebody which you neeeeeever unlock till so late in the game you can barely enjoy it.
Rims, all unlocked, most of them are practically repeats of another made by another company, BBS copies by known brands, ect... Very few rims are unique(Enkei WDMs for instance, no RP03 or CPF1 sadly...).

I still think this is the best game since HP2 made by EA, but it still has its faults and looks like it was again rushed into development.
Anyone who thinks Prostreet or Carbon was better than this game needs to have their head examined.

GTR
11-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Well, I'm trying to wrap myself around it, but it really feels like an unfinished game.

FPS problems all the time; mind you I'm on a computer that not too long ago was top of the line.

Shadows looks like shit, so does the normal mapping and the road reflections and the building reflections. Some buildings turn purple (?) at times.

Physics kinda suck, sound system is too ****ed with, and the soundtracks suck balls.

The "world effects" are better off being turned off, at least you can tell the color of the objects around you.

Cops do not result in excitement but rather annoy the **** outta you. And the heat level thing goes up for no god damn reason.

The cut scenes are very badly played.

The types of races are way too limited, no drift, no drag, no nothing.

The menus are not as good as before and I fail to see any go damn cursor in the game.

All and all, IT STINKS.

Porsche_fanatic
11-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Anyone who thinks Prostreet or Carbon was better than this game needs to have their head examined.

With all due respect, that's like saying I'll have my head stuck in the dish washer tonight, and not the microwave.:\

06FERRARIENZO
11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
i finnally got my copy of undercover and im ready to reveiw.

the good

1.free roam
2.police
3.works well whith steering wheel
4.new game modes
5.big city

the bad

1.menu system could be better
3.the usual story line
4.no safe house or carlot
5.unlock system is a little odd

final thoughts on the game great game but next time i hope ea wont have a story line.

my rating is 8 out of 10:)

DodgeBoy
11-21-2008, 01:43 PM
So much for the advertised cop modes.

t3ku
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Think that was only for PSP version DB, though you do get to steal a cop car on one occasion in the 360 version, insanely fun...
"Attention all units, a squad car was just stolen from the palm harbor motor pool"
Then three dozen cops appear on radar and helicopters rofl...

The_R
11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Ok First And Foremost I Love This Game Regardless Of The Faults; I Have Been A Fan Of The NFS (Need For Speed) Series For As Long As I Can Remember And Will Continue To Be One through All The Good Releases (NFS High Stakes) And Through All the Bad Releases (NFS Carbon). I Have Been Waiting For A Year And I Am Honestly Not Disappointed, The Game Is Visually Pleasing, Tastefully Done, Great Soundtrack To Drive To And New Heroic Action Driving Engine. This Is A Definite Step Up From the Likes Of It's Predecessor Need For Speed - Pro Street, Better Graphics, Free Roam, Better Soundtrack, Better Storyline, Police Are Back Again, Better Cars. Overall EA Stepped Up And Got Alot Better. It's Like If Pro Street & Most Wanted Were People And Had Sex Then Undercover Would Be Their Pretty New Born Baby. This Time Around I Am Happy To See More Of A Human Involvement In The Cut Scenes, Making It Live Action Sequences With Actual Actors Was A Grand Idea. Hoping That The Next Time Around They Improve On That Aspect Of The Game By Making One Have The Choice To Be A Male Or Female Driver. I Realize That The Car Class System From Carbon Is Back And I Still Don't Like It; Hated It Then, Hate It Now. I Like To Relish The Idea That Any Car Can Be A Top Car With The Proper Tuning And Parts, I'm Especially Pissed To See Two Of My Favorite Cars: Lotus Elise & Evo 10 Put In Tier 4 And Tier 3 Classes Respectfully.

Anyways Enough Of My Ranting Overall I Give This Game 8.5/10

Took Off 1.5 Cause Of The Minor Issue Of Dropped Frames While Playing And The High Annoyance Level Of The Police.

Be Sure To Go Get Your Copy For Whatever Gaming Instrument You Use. Definite Must Have For The Holiday Season!!!!!

Double Mac
11-21-2008, 10:29 PM
If Pro Street & Most Wanted Were People And Had Sex Then Undercover Would Be Their Pretty New Born Baby.

Yeah, and me, I'm like Jean-Claude Van Damme... only instead of fighting people I have sex with them. :-) Seriously though, there's a lot of truth in your metaphor.

Hoping That The Next Time Around They Improve On That Aspect Of The Game By Making One Have The Choice To Be A Male Or Female Driver.

Uhm... even your parents did not have much choice in this department, I'm afraid.

I Realize That The Car Class System From Carbon Is Back (...).

How is it back if the 1971 Challenger kicks 'Cuda's butt (both equipped w/ 'pro' performance parts) while it was presented as a lower tier car in NFSC? Seriously, if I were to allow the guys at EA to educate me w/ regards to performance issues I'd be... probably buying a Golf right now. Or even a Punto.

Took Off 1.5 Cause Of (...) The High Annoyance Level Of The Police.

Well, I would think that in a game where cops & pursuit evasion tactics seem to play a key role, this would be a good reason to add points rather than subtract them. If you, indeed, are such a dedicated NFS fan, you'd be instantly reminded of HP2, where - unlike in MW / Carbon - going right through a roadblock wasn't always the best idea & even 2-3 cops on your tail posed a panic-inducing threat. Yes, the cops are annoying and I love it.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it - that makes two of us. :-) Gotta go race now.

NFSHSforever
11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I found that setting World Effects to Medium gets rid of most of the annoying motion blur, but still keeps most of the eye candy on.

circuit races are too easy, highway battles can be fun though

only played for 30 min

darkrazor1945
11-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Hoping That The Next Time Around They Improve On That Aspect Of The Game By Making One Have The Choice To Be A Male Or Female Driver.

Similar to TDU?

The_R
11-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Similar to TDU?

i never played TDU so i wudnt really now.

Sander
11-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I've been playing the game for a couple of days now. At first I hated it, but it gets a bit better once you get further in the game. I think it's better than Carbon (played that about a day before I removed it and never reinstalled), about the same as Pro Street, but not nearly as good as Most Wanted, not to mention NFS 1 through 5. In general, I think it's not an NFS worthy game, but EA seems to be trying hard to lower the quality of the series for some time now.

The handling is weird: with some cars you can corner like a rollercoaster, while other cars understeer like an oil-tanker. Also, the cars are very sensitive to the controls, it's hard to do minor corrections (I use a joypad with analog sticks), especially at high speeds. You never really get the feeling you have full control over the cars.

Graphics aren't that good. The cars look fine, but the surroundings don't really impress me. In fact, I even turned off shadows and lowered the graphic detail so it doesn't really bother me anymore.

The storyline is a bit lame: it's a straight forward story, no room for your own choices. GTA for example is so great because you can pretty much decide what you want to do yourself.

Another annoying thing is the sound: I prefer to have my engine sounds quite loud compared to the rest, but even with engine sound at +6dB and the rest at 50% or less, the engine sound still isn't clear enough. The overall quality however is pretty good.

The races are challenging here and there, but most of them are pretty easy. Also, they all look alike. And I would love to see a speedcam race like in MW (was my favorite type), or knock-outs. Now it's just sprint, time-trial or 1 on 1 battle. The cop-missions (destroy x cars, evade police etc) get boring pretty quickly as well. Most of them rely more on luck than on skill too.

That's about it... If I would have to rate the game, it would be 6,5/10, so still enough to pass, but only just.

I've seen a lot of negative comments. Let's hope EA reads them and does something with it for the next NFS next year. I'll enjoy myself with this game probably until GTA4 for PC hits the stores.

Linkin
11-22-2008, 12:49 PM
There seems to be quite a big difference between the PC version and the 360 version. I've clocked 10 hours now and haven't really noticed a single bug except for an invisible bump in a road once. The graphics are nothing to be ashamed of, easily as good as Prostreet and much better than Forza on the 360. Shading is good, textures are great. I'm really enjoying the game, it's probably my third favorite in the series.

Myojinoir
11-22-2008, 04:11 PM
one of my favorite bugs - a bus, relatively *driving* on its right side

__(my car) ___ ]< rims, BUS, top >)___

On highway battles, some crazy citizens, driving through the side blockades...
well, PC version needs work!

Allure
11-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Finished the game in two days.

My PC could handle all the settings set to max, so graphics were no problem at all.

So, where do I start?!

No Drag, no Drift.

Highway Battle, Outrun, Circuit, Sprint, Checkpoint, Cost To State, Cop Takeout.....meh.

Wasn't too impressed about the plot either. Was expectable since the beginning.

I'd rate It 7/10.

Still Most Wanted remains the best of the series so far.

The_R
11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Finished the game in two days.

Still Most Wanted remains the best of the series so far.

definitely agree with Most Wanted being the current best of the series.
whats ur in game total time..?

Allure
11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
^ Which game, Most Wanted or Undercover?!

The_R
11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
undercover

AgentRoo
11-23-2008, 03:18 PM
How is it back if the 1971 Challenger kicks 'Cuda's butt (both equipped w/ 'pro' performance parts) while it was presented as a lower tier car in NFSC? Seriously, if I were to allow the guys at EA to educate me w/ regards to performance issues I'd be... probably buying a Golf right now. Or even a Punto.

If I've read the Tri City Car Lot webpage right, the 'Cuda is $36K and the Chally is $115K.

Thus the 'Cuda is a worse (lower tier) car than the Chally.

Looks like the Elise is also in a low tier, whilst the '67 GT500 is in a really high Tier.

EA got no clue on how cars relate to each other or something?

Glad I've resolved not to buy this game - it constantly seems to be making Carbon look good by all accounts.

Allure
11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
undercover

Haven't played more than 6.5 hours. I could have done It in a day, honestly, but I was busy with other things.

t3ku
11-23-2008, 05:34 PM
11 hours into the game, it gets BETTER.

Just bought a Mclaren F1 :DDDDD

Allure
11-23-2008, 05:43 PM
11 hours into the game, it gets BETTER.

I finished the game in 6.5 hours. This is annoying. Most Wanted FTW!

t3ku
11-23-2008, 05:48 PM
How many races/events did you skip lol

Allure
11-23-2008, 05:51 PM
I just did the main ones, to get much more Wheelman Levels up and finished It.

The Showdown job was lame.:uhoh2:

t3ku
11-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Im at 107 of 187 completed, 60 dominated :\

Allure
11-23-2008, 05:57 PM
I found ProStreet more enjoyable. o_0

The_R
11-23-2008, 06:13 PM
i have 151 of 157 events dominated. in game time is 23 hours 100% career and game completion. not too shabby if i do say so myself. one day wen im bored i might try getting the other events dominated, but police are such a pain in those dont see that happening anytime soon. unfortunately wheelman level maxes out at 18.

Thomas_C
11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
My Review:

Game looks beautiful, very nice. Quite large map.
But....Physics are 100 % Sh*t !!! they are like in nfs 2 !!! totally disapointing arcade motorbout racing !!
You even can't loose the grip, cars have magnets on the bottom.

Exept graphics nothing to enjoy :( and again same cars. Overall: 5/10

TwinTurboGTR
11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
So for my brithday, I decided to do myself a favor and bought a XBox 360. With it I got (what else?) NFS:UC. For free. (Long Story. ;))
Played it for about 6 hours so far and you know what? I like it. So far anyway.
Graphics are very good (compared to PS2 NFS: PS anyway :P), nice selection of cars and it would have had a nice story line... IF it wasn't botched. Seriously, not even Maggie Q can save the cutscenes. What, 10 Second movie just to tell me who the guy on the screen is?! LAME. I just ignore the cutscenes.
Cops...Wow. Annoying and so much fun at the same time. Hate the way the bounce back, but running from them is delightful.
Honestly: 7.5/10.
In Short: I enjoy it and definitly don't regret this purchase.

KV12supercharged
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
So I just finished the game. I got Need for Speed Undercover on PC.

I have to say thanks for efforts into making the graphics in the game look beautiful, because the graphics are awesome.

The storyline was predictable but I won't go into details in this thread...I noted why in the "Spoiler" thread.

The levels were pretty much a drive in the park (literally) up until I got to wheelman level 8... in my opinion (and some might agree/disagree), from that level on it was quite challenging.

Physics were purely arcade, at times I felt like I was playing Cruisin USA... this isn't a bad thing but for those looking for a Grand Turismo experience will be disappointed. Mind you that EA aims for the Need For Speed series to be an arcade racer... in which case it's right on the money.

Customization on the visual side is quite good, lots of paint choices lots of rim choices (Although I wish I can swap the RS4 rim on the R32 so I can make it look something like my own car) I never add vinylís to my cars so the lack of options to customize it doesnít bother me. One thing that did bother me was that I cannot visually lower my car, but I got over it.

The list of cars was nice, I love the Bugatti, SLR, Zonda, LP Gallardo. I just cannot help but imagine if Arshuan figure out how to mod NFS Undercover, we would have a very nice game engine to showcase our 3D models.

In my opinion itís a great game, story is short-ish but I canít be botheredÖ however it doesnít quite deserve such a low score in the reviews. Iíd rate it an 8 out of 10.

And without further a do... some screen shots.

Here's the New Gallardo I won on a pinkslip race (This car replaces my Audi TT and prior to that an Elise and I sold the Nissan) With the LP I repainted it black as shown here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_05.jpg
Click here so view the full pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_05.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_04.jpg
Click here so view the full pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_04.jpg)

First car I actually bought (Since I've been driving cars I won with pinkslips thorughout the game) none other then the Veyron... and I also painted it black. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_07.jpg
Click here so view the full pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_07.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_06.jpg
Click here so view the full pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_06.jpg)

Drifting the Veyron... good fun.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_08.jpg
Click here so view the full pic (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_08.jpg)

Here's a shot of my Veyron sideswiping a Porsche CGT in the "Takedown" mode where I have to arrest some thugs in one of the later missions (There are quite a few of these missions)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_09.jpg

As you can see from the pic in the link below... the game ends with my Veyron pretty much trashed. (luckily it repairs itself after the credits :) )
SPOILER ALERT, only click here if you finised the game. This is the boss you need to beat to end the game. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/kv12/nfsundercover/nfsuc_11.jpg)

R8CCXVeyron
11-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I finished the game in 6.5 hours. This is annoying. Most Wanted FTW!

LOL You have to be redundant don't you?

SPOILERZZZ ALERTZZZ

^ I can't believe it was easy to take him/her out.

Double Mac
11-25-2008, 12:22 AM
While it's not impossible to complete the career mode in such a brief amount of time, it's both rather unlikely - especially if you play it for the first time - and, generally speaking, pointless. Where's the fun in that?

@ AgentRoo: Yeah I know that the Challenger is a higher tier car in UC. But it was a lower tier car (than the 'Cuda) in Carbon (NFSC - I didn't skip the 'U'). Personally, I don't have a clue - it just p*sses me off that I can't count on EA to educate me w/ regards to car performance anymore. And before anyone starts laughing at my naivety - two words: 'Porsche Unleashed' (a game and an educational tool for the price of one).

The_R
11-25-2008, 11:12 PM
http://i37.tinypic.com/30nf71k.jpg

so close but so far away

t3ku
11-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Career 100%
Game 90%
Dominated 75/157
Won 135/187
Ingame 13:30:00

Almost finished the game, though certain aspects are getting quite annoying and causing me to turn the game off rather than play...

So Im driving my Mclaren F1 with all Pro parts installed(Funny that RACE parts are below PRO) and Im getting my *** handed to me in highway battles by cars with half the hp/tq and a LOWER top speed... Yaaaa Im doing 243mph in the Mclaren, let off the gas slightly to avoid a car(still doing 230+) and the Audi R8 just flies by me like im standing still... Catch up, much?
I retried that same event nearly TEN times before I was able to stay ahead by wrecking cars in the AI's path. A few launches the R8 just rocketed off like...he was a jet fighter... I mean from a rolling 150mph start the car just takes off leaving my Mclaren in the dust... BS

Pursuits... KAY SUVs can do 240mph! no wai?! WAI! I blew through a SUV block, punched the NOS and got back to 240mph and a SUV just flies up beside me, slams into a wall and wrecks himself.... w...t..f?
I clipped a strip at once point, blowing out my left rear and had like...15 cops on me, pushing me for shear minutes against a wall. There was so many pushing me that they kept taking each other out, at one point the SUV in front of me died... and kept getting pushed for miles until it flipped, took out another cop and flipped me, then I flipped over randomly and kept going?.
I hit a pursuit breaker in a different pursuit(NO cops around at the time, was losing them) and a cop fell from the sky in my path(yes literally...) and then died... -_-

The whole physics where your ability to push/spin a car is determined by your weight is complete bs. Driving a car like a merc is like driving a dang tank on 4 wheels where nothing can stop you(I got news for ya, it aint like that irl) and driving something like a Lotus is suicide.
No matter what car you drive, it is impossible to PIT another car OR police like you could in MW, instead you get pushed like a ragdoll and slammed into walls, spun around backwards and flipped into the air. The whole time you're sitting there wondering wtf just happened. EA totally messed up at this point...

Sigh....

Overall the game IS an improvement from Carbon and PS, but... at this point im saying MW was slightly better because of its physics.

EA really needs to make this game more realistic, im not talking Sim realistic, but closer... They have gone so far away from real world physics that you can collide with a car doing 200+ and simply push it out of the way and keep going... It is impossible to PIT another car, you only get it done to yourself.
I think EA needs to look at games like TDU and PGR where the physics are manageable and fun, this is just....MEH

/rant

Double Mac
11-26-2008, 10:05 AM
So Im driving my Mclaren F1 with all Pro parts installed(Funny that RACE parts are below PRO) and Im getting my *** handed to me in highway battles by cars with half the hp/tq and a LOWER top speed... Yaaaa Im doing 243mph in the Mclaren, let off the gas slightly to avoid a car(still doing 230+) and the Audi R8 just flies by me like im standing still... Catch up, much?
I retried that same event nearly TEN times before I was able to stay ahead by wrecking cars in the AI's path. A few launches the R8 just rocketed off like...he was a jet fighter... I mean from a rolling 150mph start the car just takes off leaving my Mclaren in the dust... BS

Yeah, I had sth similar happen to me during one of the Sunset Hills phase HB's. Sent my opponent (a Skyline, but that's practically irrelevant - your opponent is programmed to catch up w/ you at a particular difficulty level) flying, corkscrewing like mad, and - finally - smashing into a concrete rail at the center of a tunnel opening. Three seconds later the bastard passes me at what seemed comparable to the speed of light. I gave up after a few attempts because I was just about ready to break another chair... & I came back later w/ bigger guns. (Sadly, the Skyline was gone. A Carrera GT took the beating in its stead.) :-) To tell you the truth, I didn't expect EA to fix that 'little' issue for the release of UC so I'm kind of (resignedly) used to it. It's no more pronounced than its MW incarnation, I would say. Most everybody who played MW has a story to tell involving one of the blacklist racers passing them at an estimated 400mph just in time to cross the finish line - when that bastard should've still been recovering from a crash / off-road spin / etc.

No matter what car you drive, it is impossible to PIT another car OR police like you could in MW (...)

Not as easily as in MW, no. But 1 time out of 50 it works. :-) Actually it might be easier to execute with a slower car. I've been driving a stock Camaro recently and managed to PIT a few Porsches & SUV's. And kept on going.

Have you seen my extensive (as usual) list of remarks on the revised cop behavior in the 'my car impound' thread? Would appreciate your comments.

Overall the game IS an improvement from Carbon and PS, but... at this point im saying MW was slightly better because of its physics.

I completely agree... except for one thing: car handling (mostly reflected in cornering). Personally I think it's admirably more varied & peculiar to a given car than MW's (heavily) generalized approach. The current weight factor model is somewhat controversial, as - while in MW & Carbon it was definitely harder to elude the cops once cornered - I was certainly missing the HP2 PIT extravaganza and - obviously - the desperate attempts not to get spun around & continue the race at all costs. :-) I kind of wished it came back and now that it is back, I'm bemoaning the fact that the pursuits are way too easy. Hmm...

Xetrem190
11-27-2008, 10:13 AM
I was certainly missing the HP2 PIT extravaganza and - obviously - the desperate attempts not to get spun around & continue the race at all costs. :-) I kind of wished it came back and now that it is back, I'm bemoaning the fact that the pursuits are way too easy. Hmm...

Pursuits in HP2 were too easy. It was easy to avoid them. Same with UC.

Double Mac
11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
They were considerably challenging if you were driving a relatively slow car (s/a the Elise) and wanted to win the race against hard skill opposition. So, yeah, it was rather easy to avoid getting busted while your chances of winning could be severely jeopardized.

As for UC, try something like that: drive a stock 1967 Camaro around the entire map at the highest heat level. Don't use pursuit breakers, speedbreaker, nor even the map. (While it's not impossible you'll definitely struggle to make your way through the environment.) My record is 26 minutes because I 1) either get busted trying to keep the cops interested, or 2) lose the cops despite my frantic efforts to 'protect' them, as they total themselves along the way & the expected (as was the case w/ MW / Carbon) reinforcements simply never show up. Keep me posted on the results - I'm genuinely interested how you do in that department.

t3ku
11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Bah game completed 100/100.

Running into some interesting glitches/bugs now that I finished the game.

If you dominate a challenge, you can do it again and dominate it again to get the points towards the driver skills, buuut it also will change that dominate to just 'won'. I dont know if that was intentional by the programmers or not. Oh, this also means that if you want to race some more without starting a new game and you dominate the event it will reduce your dominated events total, which basically means starting a new game...

I had several challanges I had dominated..but noticed that my achievements were not unlocked, thus I had to do the events over to get the achievements, but as above... this in turn turned them all to just 'won' which is rather annoying.

Just found the My Cars page yesterday... let me just say the C6, R35 and SRT10 have the worst widebody kits in the game, absolutely disgusting.

Keep getting cars randomly spawning in my path after driving at 230mph+ either because the game engine cant keep up or the console isnt reading information fast enough, one or the other. This got VERY annoying in highway and outrun battles where there was no car and then BAMPH insta spawn! -_- Oh, ya, this includes CPs too.

ricersHA
11-29-2008, 07:52 PM
I found ProStreet more enjoyable. o_0

never play UC or never will but PS is a pure racing game and still fun

Bradley_Wint
11-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Well we did our review of NFS Undercover as well.. check it out over at the site >> http://www.autogaming.net/ps3/1740/need-for-speed-undercover-ps3xbox360-review/

ricersHA
11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
sounds about right with your review

AgentRoo
12-01-2008, 02:39 AM
After playing this at a mates, what can I say other than "meh"?

Talk about some major league bugs.

Pursuit Breakers that don't work.

Traffic that spawns magically in the air and falls to the ground.

Traffic that changes lanes suddenly and unexpectedly in highway battles (usually into the clear lane I've chosen to pass them in). Cars I can understand *occasionally* doing this, but I also get buses doing this, and it happens far too frequently.

Unskippable cutscenes and mini-movies.

Some completely unforgivable mistakes in which cars are at which tier.

Botched (digital) physiscs - many vehicles dramatically oversteer at slow speeds. Sometimes easing off can cause slight understeer to change to moderate oversteer.

Overall verdict?

We have a new entry at the bottom of the list. Undercover is the worst NFS game that EA have done during the "Underground" era.

Edit: Also, what the heck is wrong with the flipping need to be constantly loading? Bad enough running around the city when other games (Fallout 3 for example) can do this without a noticable pause, but I also encountered it during races.

Double Mac
12-01-2008, 03:44 AM
We have a new entry at the bottom of the list.

Well put - even though I disagree with you. :-)

FOX
12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Played the game for the past 4 days and my reactions are rather mixed. Where do I start... Ok.
[SPOILER WARNING].

First off you launch into action with 370Z in a middle of cop chase so you're thrown staright into racing [similar to NFS Underground 1 where you start a race with Samantha's AC Integra]. Then you're starting the game already owning a car [240SX which is faster than C6 in Most Wanted]. Then you can easily get pink slip for a Lotus and few other cars [Elise was my choice since I always liked that car] and off you go. Once you progress a bit in single player mode, you unlock tier 3 which has some decent cars. My next choice of cars was RX-7 which I drove for a very long time. It wasn't too hard at first but it didn't get insanely difficult over the next bits and I could even own cars like Tier 2 Mercedes SLR and Porsches. But as the level was going up, I came to conclusion that RX-7 on max performance [I had Pro upgrades unlocked at that time] just won't cut it if I really want to beat cars like LP640, Zonda or F1 or Tier 2 Porsches or Audis. So I went for the same choice as Sander and bought 911 GT2 which after upgrades is quite an impressive machine but HOLY SHIT this car is just undriveable!!! Braking will decrease your speed from 360 [top speed on max upgs] to 100 in less than 0.75 sec! I mean what the hell? Is that some kind of 'reset car position' replacement done by EA? I was about to say that engine might be similar to PS's one but no frigging way. Also cops are a real overdose contrary to what I expected. They don't get more challenging. They don't just get faster as the heat level goes up. They literally are way faster than any speed you can travel at so using a trainer might be a one of less frustrating ways of getting rid of cops. Also I got bit excited when I saw a message 'Sunset Hills Tier 1 Car Shop Unlocked'. I went OMAI! And went straight through to it and bought a Zonda for GODDAMMIT 320k. And guess what happened... I got into a pursuit [Zonda was stock, fresh out of car lot], GOT F_CKING busted and lost the car and went OWUT... Bigger problem is that I also sold my fully tuned RX7 along with 911 GT2. What's more... Game is mean enough to be a real pain in the ***. Example - after 3 attempts I finally managed to win a Hwy Battle with LP640 using my certified 911GT2, so I thought 'Damn... 20k finally going to my wallet.' Nuh-uh. Flash news time. I only got damn $~3250. WTF? Also the Tab key usage makes you very lazy and also makes open world racing bit pointless. But seriously... City is bit TOO big for comfort. It was fine in UG2, MW and Carbon but Tri City is just too huge and contrary to what EA said it will definitely take more than 8 minutes to go through whole Interstate road system. /rant

As for good sides. Game looks really nice. Graphics are very impressive. Also car roster is pretty nice. Driving engine seems too hardcore but I think it's possible to have smooth driving if you sit for a while in tuning section. Lot of visuals and body parts to drop heat with but they're pretty expensive. Lots of races to pick from, nice cars to win from bosses and of course - future moddability and possibility to add cars. Final points might be something like 5.9-6.2/10 since driving engine is very problematic.

Even though I don't like to... I have to say it straight - ProStreet and NFSC were better. Sorry EA, maybe next time.

Allure
12-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I have to say it straight - ProStreet and NFSC were better. Sorry EA, maybe next time.

Amen to that!;)

Double Mac
12-01-2008, 02:29 PM
(...) So I (...) bought 911 GT2 which after upgrades is quite an impressive machine but HOLY SHIT this car is just undriveable!!! Braking will decrease your speed from 360 [top speed on max upgs] to 100 in less than 0.75 sec! (...)

You're breaking my heart. I completed most of the career mode in that very car - because I found it easy to control. And I'm a lousy driver to boot. (Then again, this might explain your problem w/ the GT2 - you probably expected it to behave quite differently from what it offers in the game, and I just took it for granted.)

xXmuscleonlyXx
12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
the game was alright
it could have had better cars and better graphics

most wanted is still the best NFS out so far

GTR
12-07-2008, 08:21 AM
http://www.needforspeed.com/portal/site/nfs/news/details/?contentId=3c469036674ec110VgnVCM1000006fe60a0aRCR D

Has the extra dev period helped?
It definitely has helped. I think one of the biggest benefits was to allow us to spend time focusing down on what the core concept of the game should be. I do think that having some extra time allowed us to put together one of the most polished and cohesive Need for Speed games in the series.

AHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHHAAAAAA... :laugh3:

Double Mac
12-07-2008, 01:02 PM
AHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHHAAAAAA...

1) Did you really expect the guy to say: 'we know we've messed up big time but we hope you guys buy it anyway'?

2) He might be referring to the gameplay which is both 'polished' & 'cohesive'. And UC's gameplay is all I really care about because, again, I'm not experiencing any technical difficulties (probably thanks to my crappy hardware) & I don't give a flying f*** about the 'storyline'.

3) Have you noticed how he mentions HDE & HB as UC's highlights? These PR guys (or any employees interviewed by the media) are simply 'programmed' by EA to focus on the newest 'cool' additions rather than bring up sth more valuable s/a the revised, noticeably aggressive cop AI or the game's instantly likeable environment.

korge
12-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Since when did PC players need top spec hardware to play budget ware?

Double Mac
12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, I know it's cruel but... maybe it's time for you guys to go downgrade yer systems? (Don't bother replying - it's an obvious stupid 'joke'.)

The Legend
12-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, The Cops are like the main bit of being notorius by escapin' from them.
it's cool escapin' from those dum cops, like right now i'm escaping from them by breaking down this puny wall.
:policeman :wall:
:rifle::computer:
na thats it.

Porsche_fanatic
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
for everyone who is saying the graphics are good........

either you haven't tried a game for decades or are just covering up EA's shoddy work with the textured since this is NFSCars.net ...!!!

Earlier I thought I might be running a driver version for my 9600GT which is pathetic so is came on to Forceware 180.48 but there's absolutely no difference, then i started trying out the different graphic 'tweaks' being given out here and there, but sadly there's absolutely no respite for my eyes that have grown used to games which belong more appropriately to this decade.. for anyone who needs proof for what i am saying there's an attachment ......

look at the white pixels on every panel gap... i say that's stupid if they put it that way.. and dumb if they didn't notice it altogether.. the game is not worth the money i spent on it... too bad i'll have to wait for my GTA IV now...:furious::furious:

and if anybody is saying that m running low on details... m going 1280x1024 with everything set max and 2x AA... had to turn off the shadows cuz it made me hate the game even more...

for any person who would actually want to drive a car which even resembles something with wheels.. get a viper.. it's bad but it's much better than the Porsches and Lambos...

EDIT: almost half the cars caused me crashes when i wanted to tweak something in autosculpt... i cant recall a specific incident other than when i wanted to autosculpt this GT3's stock rear bumper.. the game just crashed back at the desktop... i had issues like this more than twice a dozen times on different parts on different cars..

and EA said 'the team spent more time' YEAH SURE ...
what i can't understand is that MW was also developed in the same duration as Carbon, Prostreet and seemingly much more than Undercover... how the hell did it turn out to be one of the most addictive games of all time for me ??? i still have it installed on my machine..and go in for an odd lap of the WORLD LOOP every other day.. or just mess around with the cops.. without ever losing that silly grin on my face... and at the end of the day that's all that matters to me.

Allure
12-07-2008, 04:36 PM
1) Did you really expect the guy to say: 'we know we've messed up big time but we hope you guys buy it anyway'?

2) He might be referring to the gameplay which is both 'polished' & 'cohesive'. And UC's gameplay is all I really care about because, again, I'm not experiencing any technical difficulties (probably thanks to my crappy hardware) & I don't give a flying f*** about the 'storyline'.

3) Have you noticed how he mentions HDE & HB as UC's highlights? These PR guys (or any employees interviewed by the media) are simply 'programmed' by EA to focus on the newest 'cool' additions rather than bring up sth more valuable s/a the revised, noticeably aggressive cop AI or the game's instantly likeable environment.

UC is crap. It's the most epic statement you can say.;)

Double Mac
12-07-2008, 05:37 PM
@ Ecstasic Seraphim: And you have a habit of rating 'crap' games 7/10? If you're determined not to enjoy a game, you simply won't. Me, I'm having fun with it... without even trying.

You also stated that 'MW remains the best of the series'. That alone speaks volumes about the credibility of your NFS-related opinions.

Allure
12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Oh, If you don't find my opinions credible, you can go and...You know where!;)

If you're enjoying It, I simply don't care. I rated 7/10 on behalf of what represented, not on what It truly is.

Double Mac
12-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Oh, If you don't find my opinions credible, you can go and...You know where!

Thanks, I discovered self-abuse without asking people for instructions. Anyway, the above reveals even more about your credibility - this time in a more general - not limited to your NFS erudition - sense, I'm afraid.

If you're enjoying It, I simply don't care. I rated 7/10 on behalf of what represented, not on what It truly is.

If you're not enjoying it, I don't care either. But calling UC 'crap' is tantamount to saying that people s/a Zpectre & myself - both HC fans of the NFS series - simply don't know sh*t. And (for some reason) I happen to disagree with that opinion.

I find that second sentence in the above quote rather confusing, by the way.

OK, just because I'm feeling generous... That statement of yours according to which 'MW remains the best of the series' - if only you had replaced 'the best' with 'my favorite' it would be true. And uncontroversial to boot.

Allure
12-08-2008, 06:30 AM
You seriously put to doubt Most Wanted as the best of the series?!

And I'm not talking only about classics of Need for Speed...(NFSII:SE, NFSIV:HS)

MclarenX
12-08-2008, 07:48 AM
@ Ecstasic Seraphim - You seriously saying that no one Else's opinion matters to you?!? OK, we get it; you don't like Undercover and think that Most Wanted is a trillion times better. Please stop repeating yourself.

Mah Ruhview (kinda sleepy so there I might have missed out on some stuff):

Driving- The racing really felt good here, but I kinda found myself unsatisfied at the beginning of the game. The races seemed too easy for even the tutorial level. This changed once Sunset Hills was the focus though, the jobs and races started to get more and more challenging. The handling was (very obviously) arcadey and a tad too much, but you get used to it. Although it DID make pursuits too easy in the earlier levels, and I was frustrated at how easy they were, but again, this changed later on. Overall: the game's difficulty curve was iffy, but it get's fun and challenging as you go along.

Pursuit- My pursuit experience was really awesome. The cops become very challenging very quickly (the heat system took some time to get used to). They actually seem intelligent and use more advanced tactics instead of just trying to ram you to oblivion. The chatter was also interesting (and funny); it shows you just how intelligent they are and also what they talk about in their spare time. My only frustration would be the damn limit that Double Mac elaborated in a separate thread.

World- I liked all of locations and how different they were from each other. They made it really varied but still believable. The thing is, the roads were too wide, and that made taking a turn too easy. But still, everything from the highways to the canyons, and even the generic looking city was amazingly well put together.

Visual Effects- The graphics seemed identical to Prostreet after a closer look. It's just that they had so much more to see. The jagged shadows were the only annoying thing...That's pretty much all there is to say.

Replay- The game's off on the replay value. Without ta solid challenge series, the career is pretty much the entire game. This, to me, is the game's weakest point. The thing that drew me back to Prostreet was the great car tuning (but I barely do this anymore since I became broke. I wish they had "My Cars), but with Undercover's slightly more limited choices, I can't find much to do but play online anymore (and I have crappy internet).

Soundtrack- I was disappointed in this, some songs didn't seem to fit the game, and the removal of EA Trax was of no help whatsoever.

Overall- A great game for and NFS fan who's patient. A lot has changed since the past NFSs and the Most Wanted player will have to be forced to set those experiences aside. Once you get into it, it's a prett good game 8.7/10

Allure
12-08-2008, 07:53 AM
^ *Claps*

8.7/10?!

I can only imagine what rating you have for Carbon and Most Wanted...:o

MclarenX
12-08-2008, 07:58 AM
And that only proves the point in my previous post...

Look in THIS (http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23039) thread if you really want to know.

Allure
12-08-2008, 08:03 AM
JESUS CHRIST!

NFS Carbon?! 7.9?! :o

MclarenX
12-08-2008, 08:06 AM
And there you go again...

That is MY opinion. If you don't agree, we may argue, but downright bashing an opinion ain't right.

Allure
12-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Of course It's your opinion, duh....:|

MclarenX
12-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I just hate how you seem to completely go against some people's opinions without voicing out a reason to go against it. You don't seem to respect them and end up talking shit about what they said.

Now I'd appreciate if we took this argument somewhere else. I'm thinking this is spam now.

Allure
12-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I've put my reasons out there and I personally don't care If you or someone else likes Undercover.

And yes, can we just stop this. It's pointless.

Apocalypse
12-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Ugh, just borrowed the game from a "Enthusiast gamer" friend who owns a HD4870. Anyways, the gameplay is VERY polished indeed compared to prostreet but the optimization is F'd up!!!!!!
Overall the variety of car is very nice, on basis of performance only though.
I wont say i love the game. But its a decent one.
I cant the play even at low-mid at 1280*720:((even though i could play easily at PS at this setting)
Mine Rating? 3.6/5

Double Mac
12-09-2008, 08:20 AM
You seriously put to doubt Most Wanted as the best of the series?!

And I'm not talking only about classics of Need for Speed...(NFSII:SE, NFSIV:HS)

OK, let's suppose - for argument's sake - that I've just finished playing UG2 and got into MW. Here are some comments I might be tempted to offer:

0) What? NO REPLAYS?!!!
1) What? No advanced customization? No separate body parts? No vinyl layers?
2) What? No drift (despite the drift-friendly physics)? Not even organic drift? And while we're at it, no dedicated drag tracks (s/a the trainyards & the airport environment)? No Street X (however trivial it was in UG2)? No 'serious' racing via the URL events (& no tournaments - however vestigial - either)? No outrun (even though you encounter opponents in free-roam)?
3) What's that daylight racing environment & what's that obsession with rural areas? I want that sexy neon-studded city back! And why is everything so 'brownish' & 'stretched'?
4) No dyno tuning & 'test' tracks?
5) Why does every car feel more or less the same?
6) Why do my opponents always seem to beat me to the finish line just in time when I've just left them spinning around in the dust?
7) Nitrous rechargeable by speed? Where's the challenge in that?
8) Slowing down time in a game called 'Need For Speed'? What's next? Flying? Teleporters?
9) No style points? I don't even get 'N2O-penalized' for traffic collisions (which are disappointingly unspectacular anyway)?
10) I like the intensity of the pursuits but... why do I have to smash my car against those cops? Can't I just outrun them?
11) And where the f*** is my Skyline?!!!

I hope you see where this is going. :-) Don't get me wrong - I love MW (it's my definite favorite among the pursuit-centered free-roam-based trinity) - but it's by no means a 'perfect', classic NFS title. It introduces so many unambiguously arcade elements that it's rather difficult to take it seriously as a racing game.

EDIT: Just for the record:

12) What? No difficulty level selection in career mode events?

GTR
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Come on now, the game is relatively fun, its just a few things here and there that spoils it.

Double Mac
12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
MW? It's a lot of fun. But:
1) Are the points I've come up with as the fictional UG2 freak character totally devoid of any sense?
2) Have you tried using a stock (no N2O) exotic (say, a 911 Turbo) in single race against hard skill opposition? (Even w/ catch-up off?) Try it and post your comments. :-)

One more thing, GTR (though it's bound to p*ss you off) - I could honestly apply that 'relatively fun w/ a few faults here & there' comment of yours to UC - on the basis of its performance on my system with the controller I'm using (a good ol' PC keyboard).

GTR
12-09-2008, 09:08 AM
actually I meant UC haha

MW has faults too but they're not enough to spoil it. :P

Double Mac
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
WHAT?!!! Have you been drinking, has a patch been released or... have you simply changed your mind? In any case, I'm SHOCKED!

Apocalypse
12-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Must be drinking :P

Anyways, i must say, the more im playing the game the more im liking it.
Altough, i hate the pursuit system. I cant do more than 3 mins on a pursuit at heat 5(currently).
And, the game is very slow on my computer:(:(

FOX
12-09-2008, 09:38 AM
And, the game is very slow on my computer:(:(
I thought that UC will be a piece of cake if you can run Assassin's Creed on your comp :o

Anyway... MW > Carbon > UC

basty
12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
my rating: 8/10(don't ask, you won't understand, if you think it's too big)

Apocalypse
12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
I thought that UC will be a piece of cake if you can run Assassin's Creed on your comp :o

Anyway... MW > Carbon > UC

Not, if you consider 15 fps fast:D

So, i tried a texture mod from nfs planet and here are the results, im quite impressed:
ORIGINAL
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4994/porbj3.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=porbj3.jpg)

MODED
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7615/por1kf6.th.jpg (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=por1kf6.jpg)

*I dont bother about AA.

Zpectre
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I've put my reasons out there and I personally don't care If you or someone else likes Undercover.

And yes, can we just stop this. It's pointless.

Double Mac is a lawyer in making, you'd lose evey argument. :D

Double Mac
12-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Uhm, thanks, Zpectre. :-) But 1) it isn't that difficult to defend UC once you get it to work on your system; 2) it helps being objective - praising the useful additions / revisions while not pretending that the game is absolutely flawless. I wonder why ES has grown so quiet though... Maybe (despite his contempt for UC's 'walk in the park' pursuits) he finally got busted?

More to the point, I think that EA should have refrained from advertising the 'heroic driving engine' to such an obsessive extent. The thing is, it seems so seamlessly integrated into the gameplay that you hardly even notice. By making such a fuss about it and referring to it by another 'fancy' moniker they've predictably opened themselves up to criticism.

Can anyone elaborate on the 'magnets for wheels' phenomenon? Ecstasic Seraphim stated that - with the Veyron - you can take sharp turns at 340 km/h. Perhaps he was speaking figuratively with regards to the oversteering of some cars, because I've just taken the (stock) Bugatti for a wee drive, and whenever I try taking a 90 degree turn at 200 km/h - I hit a wall. I've also tried this with my fully upgraded classic muscles (the 'Cuda & the Chevelle), and - while they do corner in a, hmm, user-friendly fashion - 180 km/h is probably the 'safe' speed limit recommended for taking a (moderately) sharp turn. (Again, I'm using a PC keyboard - if that makes any difference.)

Apocalypse
12-10-2008, 03:32 AM
And one specific R8 can run upto 600Km'h. Some speed test R8. It is in the Save editor but i can't tell if its 100% correct.

Double Mac
12-10-2008, 03:49 AM
You mean it's in the stats but you haven't tested it yourself?

Apocalypse
12-10-2008, 03:56 AM
You mean it's in the stats but you haven't tested it yourself?

No, i have heard on a forum, not on NFSCars, but havent tested myself.

Double Mac
12-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Well, at least it's not that hard to find areas within UC's environment that would facilitate attaining such speeds with considerable ease. I wonder whether the cops would keep up though - I'd hate the prospect of outrunning them. It would be sooo against the whole post-HP2 pursuit concept.

Anyway... people throw around a lot of statements, and you simply can't be sure until you try sth out yourself. 'When you li'l scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle.'

(...) Altough, i hate the pursuit system. I cant do more than 3 mins on a pursuit at heat 5(currently). (...)

If you avoid using pursuit breakers altogether & try to keep the cops on your tail (rather than run away from them) your average pursuit length will be 10-15 minutes. After around 15 minutes there will be no more roadblocks, which effectively means - no reinforcements. 18 minutes is quite a 'decent' achievement (although you'll end up with a single cop car 'escorting' you until it either gets wasted or 'gives up on you'). A little over 26 is my personal record, and I still don't know how I managed to keep the cops interested for that long.

Apocalypse
12-10-2008, 06:20 AM
If you avoid using pursuit breakers altogether & try to keep the cops on your tail (rather than run away from them) your average pursuit length will be 10-15 minutes. After around 15 minutes there will be no more roadblocks, which effectively means - no reinforcements. 18 minutes is quite a 'decent' achievement (although you'll end up with a single cop car 'escorting' you until it either gets wasted or 'gives up on you'). A little over 26" is my personal record, and I still don't know how I managed to keep the cops interested for that long.

Yes. You are right. I have been following this technique for some time and it atually works. My best was a little under 20 mins using this technique. Otherwise, it does not exceed even 3 minutes.

Well, at least it's not that hard to find areas within UC's environment that would facilitate attaining such speeds with considerable ease. I wonder whether the cops would keep up though - I'd hate the prospect of outrunning them. It would be sooo against the whole post-HP2 pursuit concept.

Anyway... people throw around a lot of statements, and you simply can't be sure until you try sth out yourself. 'When you li'l scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle.'
Its not about the area, its about the car. There is a special R8 called SpeedTest r8 or something. Ill try this in 10 minutes and tell you:)

BTW, has anyone tried Texture MOD?

Apocalypse
12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Dont ask me for double post. I posted the above 3 hours ago.

Anyways, i tried the Speedtest R8 and it IS very fast. I reached 330mph at the max before being hit by the traffic. And it reaches 230-250mph on a normal road.
You can get this R8 using save editor.
Follow these steps:
CAUTION: BACKUP YOUR SAVES.
1. Open the save editor (NfsNation)
2. Open your save.
3. Select the Career tab.
4. Select any car and duplicate it.
5. Now select the duplicate car and in the vehicles drop menu on the left, change the car to audir8stk_speedtest or something like that. Click Remove customizations.
6. Click Update.
7. Fix checksums.
8. PLAY!!

Double Mac
12-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks, it comes handy when your objective is to dominate some more challenging checkpoint events. My McLaren kept bumping into walls because of the 'dynamic loading' thing - seems to me that EA have redefined the BSOD phenomenon... with temporary coma instead of 'death'.