View Full Version : Digital downloads -vs- Retail packages?

oshaylinux
01-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't understand why digital downloads of new games costs just as much as the retail packaged versions. OEMs are the cheaper versions of the product because it does not have all the packaging, so how is it that these software distributors manage to get away with this?

Who would and why would you spend as much for the digital version as you would the retail version?

theo
01-09-2009, 09:38 PM
1. they do it because they can. most consumers don't question it, such as you are doing so here. props.

2. It's easier. you stay in home.
I don't do it, but I understand why some do.

-theo

internet3
01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
i will always get my stuff on the counter, i get something for actually paying (hard media in this case, the DVD or CD and case) because from where i see it, digital distribution makes ppl lose jobs in stores that can sell this type of media (music, software, videos, ect.) not to mention it's a cheap shot to see if ppl stop pirating them as well

as far as it goes for me:
hard copy > direct download

vette
01-10-2009, 02:09 AM
I never really had it turn out good buying a game online, like internet3, i like to get my disk for my money.

Bl0cks
01-10-2009, 03:30 AM
I do feel the same. I feel safe having a hard copy (of a game I purchased) in my hand. It would be nice to see some sort of, buy a hard copy, be able to download it from our servers. I was rather displeased when my BF2 disc 1 was ruined. The next problem is replacement cd's/dvd's cost what, $15?

On another note, I am the type of person who reformats their hard drive every so often. Having a digital copy is easy for me because it just requires a internet connection and includes the games updates.

Sinister
01-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Having a hard copy is worth the few extra dollars it costs - however you can burn your own hardcopy from the digital downloaded version. - as you legally paid for it, you get teh copy.

but if you're paying the same amount, why not take an official hard copy, the box that comes with it, and the manual that was printed.

vette
01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm waiting for the day games come on flash drives, no more scratches. :D Not sure if possible but sounds nice.

Sinister
01-10-2009, 05:17 PM
it would be so much easier..

even SDCards and such - work with TVs dvds, etc, only problem with them currently is copy protection.

The day it happens, DVDs, BRs, Cds will be gone like 8tracks.

internet3
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I do feel the same. I feel safe having a hard copy (of a game I purchased) in my hand. It would be nice to see some sort of, buy a hard copy, be able to download it from our servers. I was rather displeased when my BF2 disc 1 was ruined. The next problem is replacement cd's/dvd's cost what, $15?

On another note, I am the type of person who reformats their hard drive every so often. Having a digital copy is easy for me because it just requires a internet connection and includes the games updates.

i placed in bold that part because if you're like me that has a crappy 512K connection that took 8 hours to download the GRID demo (800MB) then it's a chore to get the download (not to mention time that could be used to do something else, browse here for ex. ;) ) while if i send a OS to hell i can just pop in the disk and have it installed in 15 minutes, but this is IMO.