View Full Version : controls way out of wack?

a mysterious man
04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I've played through Most Wanted a few times, and played through Carbon with each car type, so I decided to pick up Undercover for more high speed, illegal street racing. I skipped Pro Street because it didn't follow the traditional NFS formula.

The most jarring thing I've discovered about Undercover is the awkward controls. I play on PC with the keyboard (laptop gamer), and that worked amazingly well for my previous two titles. But when I started up Undercover, the controls fell absolutely jerkish.

The two GLARING examples are:

1. Simple Turns - In MW and Carbon, turning (outside of sharp, and hairpin curves) meant holding down the throttle while turning, and when I finished the turn and let up the turn key (A or D) the car would 'ease' back into a straight line. NOW, in Undercover, the car jerks back and forth using this method.

2. On sharp and Hairpin turns - does it seem to anyone else that using the handbreak to drift on turns very unrealistic and fast compared to previous titles? I mean you just whip around 180 like the car has no weight. Not sure if I'm explaining this one very well.

Is there anyway to more closely emulate the feel of MW and Carbon, or am I going to have to learn these new controls and freak out whenever I go back to older titles?

MclarenX
04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Wait a sec

- None of the games after HP2 followed the traditional NFS formula. You seem to have only played the more recent "rice" titles of NFS

- Turning while throttling is quite unrealistic; People brake at turns most of the time. Jerking back and forth is actually more possible in the real world after turns (I think), cars rarely ease back into a straight line by themselves (again, this is just as far as I know).

- I don't get: don't people always use the handbrake to drift. Well, whatever, the reason why it's like so is because Undercover is notorious for having weightless cars. That also sorta answers your no. 1 question: the weightless cars make the turns way too sharp and hard to recover from.

- There isn't a way to change the handling characteristics significantly as of now.

Welcome to NFSCars!

a mysterious man
04-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Haha! Rice titles. I like it. :laugh4:

Well, you're right. Those are the only two NFS games I've played, beside the first NFS, but that was so long ago and I never really got into it, hehe. What's the traditional formula? I thought it was usually about street racing, no?

As for throttling while turning, I'm not talking about making right/left hand turns, so much as just turning the car to change lanes, wide curves like on the highway, missing obstacles, etc. The handling just seems so awkward and well....jerky.

As for the handbreaking, I've always used it for the rather sharp turns that usually leads to a drift or slide or whatever it would be called. I was never good at drifting, actually. I could never finish ONE of the drift races in Carbon...not one.

CLR-AMG
04-02-2009, 06:24 AM
It's about chosing a nonmodified sportscar, pick a color or select top up or top down, chose a nice location and race without nitrous and with cops, not having to keep thinking about stupid storylines.

MclarenX
04-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Haha! Rice titles. I like it. :laugh4:

Well, you're right. Those are the only two NFS games I've played, beside the first NFS, but that was so long ago and I never really got into it, hehe. What's the traditional formula? I thought it was usually about street racing, no?

As for throttling while turning, I'm not talking about making right/left hand turns, so much as just turning the car to change lanes, wide curves like on the highway, missing obstacles, etc. The handling just seems so awkward and well....jerky.

As for the handbreaking, I've always used it for the rather sharp turns that usually leads to a drift or slide or whatever it would be called. I was never good at drifting, actually. I could never finish ONE of the drift races in Carbon...not one.

1. Yeah, CLR, the original NFS was about just racing the car of your dreams. No overblown customization and stories that seem to try too hard.

2. Again, that's how the game is: the steering was overdone.

3. That's because of Carbon's arcade nature, the car's handling is made so that you wouldn't have to use the handbrake. Its not drifting technically, it's slide-steering.