View Full Version : Undercover difficulty since patching

Phoenician
08-15-2009, 12:41 PM
When I first installed Undercover a few days ago, I noticed there was a major patch that said it would fix frame rate issues. I installed it and appear to have made a huge mistake. I've been doing fine until as a lot of other people has noticed, the difficulty skyrocketed. On one occasion at wheelman level 8, I started with my Skyline only to discover the opponent next to me on the grid was a Zonda! The were also two Lamborghini's as well. Suffice to say I found it impossible to beat these AIs, especially since every time I got well ahead, the AI yo-yoed to within a a couple of seconds the swept past me, even going round corners at full speed.

Having read through this forum, it appears that this is a result of the patch that "fixed" the supposedly easy difficulty. I am currently seriously considering uninstalling the game so that I can start with the unpatched version instead. Is the frame rate bad without the patch or is there a way to alter the difficulty through file editing? I have really enjoyed the game so far and I am finding it extremely frustrating that I am unable to continue.

Apologies if this sounds like a rant, I'm getting very frustrated and need some sensible advice on what to do!

Sinister
08-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Game difficulties are there to make the game more enjoyable for those who the game is too easy for, quit playing or remove the patch by reinstalling the game.

Double Mac
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
There is an easy solution, actually. I use the original (DVD) executable for tougher pursuits (because the two patches released so far apparently dumbed down the cop AI), and the exe from the 1.0.1.17 patch for general racing purposes & smoother framerate. I have discovered, however, that I can't use the 1.0.1.18 (challenge series) patch along with the original exe, so I'm sticking to the first couple of choices.

Phoenician
08-15-2009, 04:47 PM
I've made some progress (and calmed down a lot) but I'm still finding it very hard to make any real progress. I'll probably give it another couple of days and then reinstall if I'm still having problems. I finally managed to afford a tier 2 car only to witness another bizarre incident, a 911 Turbo being overtaken by an Audi TT at around 170mph. Suffice to say I caught up with it then sent it flying into some traffic for good measure!

I would agree that the cop was dumbed down significantly. I've had some amusing instances where police cars have deliberately driven into traffic or each other even if they're not pursuing me. Even during a pursuit I've never had difficulty in escaping even on heat 4/5 with helicopters chasing me.

I really do understand the need for an increased difficulty for more experienced gamers but couldn't they have just had different settings rather than one as with other NFS titles?

How do you use the original exe on the dvd? Do you just run it off the disk or do you copy into the directory as well? I do have the challenge series but I thought I got it off the 1.0.1.17 patch...

Double Mac
08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I would agree that the cop was dumbed down significantly. I've had some amusing instances where police cars have deliberately driven into traffic or each other even if they're not pursuing me. Even during a pursuit I've never had difficulty in escaping even on heat 4/5 with helicopters chasing me.

Me, I've had some annoying instances (courtesy of the 1.0.1.17 patch) where cop cars would simply refuse to chase me, which resulted in me being unable to complete some pursuit-based events while I was redoing the career mode a few months ago. The only solution proved to be resorting to the original exe.

I really do understand the need for an increased difficulty for more experienced gamers but couldn't they have just had different settings rather than one as with other NFS titles?

Couldn't they have implemented the replay feature, the day/night cycle & the good ol' tournaments? I'm sure they had the technology - they just decided to release another simplified, feature-stripped street-racing title.

How do you use the original exe on the dvd? Do you just run it off the disk or do you copy into the directory as well? I do have the challenge series but I thought I got it off the 1.0.1.17 patch...

The way I did it was archive the original exe (from my UC installation dir) by renaming it to sth meaningful s/a 'NFSUC Original'. I subsequently installed the first patch (1.0.1.17) and found out I was able to use the two exes interchangeably. You might try the same technique with the 1.0.1.18 (challenge series) update, but that - I speculate - would involve archiving all / most of the original files replaced by that very patch and resorting to them whenever you felt like playing the unpatched version.

jeffareid
08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
I redid all of the career mode with the ...18 patch. The earlier events were more difficult, but by the time I won a tier 2 car, there wasn't much difference. The AI speed goes by the car you drive, not by the cars they drive, so you can still beat an AI in a Zonda (tier 1) while you're driving a Skyline (tier 3). I didn't buy any cars until I unlocked the Tier 1 cars, where I then bought a Zonda, which is good for career mode.

Using speedbreaker (slows time down) can help. Undercover has magic nitrous that increases downforce, so use nitrous in turns and when going over jumps (or use speedbreaker).

Pay attention to the level of the events you are running. As you wheelman level increases, some of the lower level races will no longer show up on the GPS Map. After selecting the GPS Map, change the mode to "available" and look for the lower level races. Do the lower level events first, as you'll have a higher wheelman level or a better car for the higher level events later. I made a list of the events:

http://jeffareid.net/nfsuc/nucevent.txt

and a list of the pink slip cars you win:

http://jeffareid.net/nfsuc/nucps.txt

For the pink slip cars I recommend:

tier 4 - Lotus Elise
tier 3 - Audi TT
tier 2 - Porche GT2 or Lamborghini Gallardo

Phoenician
08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Sorted!

The tuning setup was way off. After spending a lot of time messing with the tuning options I now have the perfect setup for what I'm using at the moment. It's still a challenge catching a Zonda but I'm really enjoying it now I've sorted out the car's setup.