View Full Version : 2001 VW Jetta GL

Kracka
10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
The GTO 'replacement' has arrived.

Picked the car up for $1500, since it needs body work and has an exhaust leak.

Engine: 2.0L I4
Trans: ...auto :(
Mileage: 102,500
Mods: Magnaflow catback

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/1.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/2.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/3.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/4.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/5.jpg

I'll post the pics of the progress as I get out of debt and pick some stuff up for it :)

Speed911
10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Gay.

/thread

3ni_2nr
10-08-2009, 04:37 PM
The GTO 'replacement' has arrived.

where?

fgsfds

nfslover101
10-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Well allow me to be one of the first to say, it looks like a ok car. It seems like a good car to fix up, may I ask why though you are getting a replacement for the GTO? I would assume the VW is going to be a winter car?

Zpectre
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Cream interior = win.

Sadly I think these didn't come with stronger engines in the US.

Kracka
10-08-2009, 07:58 PM
The only reason this is the GTO replacement is because this in the end is a "free" car for me.

I sold the GTO because I am in debt and need to pay my bills, I am about 5-6 months behind and it is destroying my credit, something I hold dear in these times.

Even though I work part-time at Best Buy, I was barely able to afford the $420 a month car payment, as well as the $260 month insurance payment while trying to live and be young. It was the first of many steps to get me back on the right track.

After a few things get worked down, the next vehicle will be either an 05 CTS-V, 08/09 G8GT, or an 06 GTO....so all hope is not lost ;)

GTR
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
The only reason this is the GTO replacement is because this in the end is a "free" car for me.

I sold the GTO because I am in debt and need to pay my bills, I am about 5-6 months behind and it is destroying my credit, something I hold dear in these times.

Even though I work part-time at Best Buy, I was barely able to afford the $420 a month car payment, as well as the $260 month insurance payment while trying to live and be young. It was the first of many steps to get me back on the right track.

Sorry to hear that. I liked that car.

Lesson learned: never finance a car.

Save up like 10 grand and you can get one used in ok condition. And, you really need to switch from that insurance, 250 a month is just nuts. Or did you get a huge ticket or something?

Anyways, I wish you had gone with a Golf, the diesel ones are especially perfect for someone who's not doing very well financially (40mpg ftw) but Jetta is a decent car and with some TLC it'll look good.

3ni_2nr
10-08-2009, 08:42 PM
apologies for trolling earlier but i understand the situation, also just observed 'inverted commas' on 'replacement'.

it sucks that you had to let her go though.

last pic is so emotional...

Zpectre
10-08-2009, 09:07 PM
No worries, MkIV Golf/Bora wasn't made for performance. They're all too heavy and underpowered except for the VR6 and the R32. But, despite having a crap engine, this IS a good car. I should know since my sister owns a Golf 2.0. This was probably the best Golf model in terms of build quality, so the Bora shouldn't disappoint you during your short time with it.

And I call it Bora (not Jetta as in the American market) because it's a BORA not Jetta. Americans always find a way to screw up. :rolleyes:

Shake
10-09-2009, 02:58 PM
2.slow ftl

for 1500 I'd rock it though, to stop putting miles on the rado. Im looking for a new daily myself since the van is a paperweight now.

EVO9MR
10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
i actually do like it
whats the engine though?

AgentRoo
10-10-2009, 01:09 AM
It's a 2.0 I4 (see top). I'm guessing thats the old MPI unit that developed 115hp.

That has effectively been replaced twice now, firstly by the 1.6L FSI (also 115hp), and more recently by the 1.4 TSI (120-125hp).

Kracka
10-10-2009, 03:17 AM
It's a 2.0 I4 (see top). I'm guessing thats the old MPI unit that developed 115hp.

That has effectively been replaced twice now, firstly by the 1.6L FSI (also 115hp), and more recently by the 1.4 TSI (120-125hp).

That would be it...8 Valves of Fury.

Shame we don't get those engine choices, it'd be pretty cool.

EVO9MR
10-10-2009, 11:04 AM
ok thanks weird how i missed that :D

Kracka
10-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Alright, so I did a few things to it over the past day or two.. no pics though.

Had to get a new hood latch, as the previous one failed on the last owner, causing the hood to fly up in the air and ruin it.

No junkyard had one in the area, atleast thats what they were telling me...which doesn't make sense, as it was a junkyard that specializes in VWs..so I had to go to the nearest VW Dealer and somehow they had the part I needed in stock. Too bad it cost me $115. There goes a good chunk of the money I had to fix the rest of the car.

While on the way to the dealer, I stopped and got new front rotors and brake pads for the jetta...the previous owner never did those, so it was metal on metal, and I think the front wheels are now ruined because of the materials. Those were a nightmare...

Started at 430pm, got the front wheel off on the drivers side...everything going smoothly so far, just had to use a Torx T40 bit instead of the 7mm Allen/Hex key bit on the calipers. Got the caliper off after about 30 minutes of cussing, and prying. Swaped the pads..good to go I though, so I moved onto the rotors.

THERES A GOD DAMN SET SCREW ON THEM! (It prevents the rotors from moving, as to keep the holes for the lug bolts to go right in without a hitch) The only problem is it is bonded to the hub. After calling countless people about this, I figured the best way would be to drill it out..it's starting to get dark now as it is about 630 or 7PM. I find out the drill doesn't even have enough juice in the battery to break loose the bit that was in there.

There goes ANOTHER hour so I can charge the thing....FINALLY the time has come, I just drill it out, and bam...works like a charm. put the new rotor on, slap the caliper on, which isn't easy as it didn't want to go on smoothly, it took a beating and some more cussing to get it on. Throw the wheel back on and I am good to go...shit...I forgot to put the caps back on to prevent anything from getting inside of the caliper bolts...oh well.

Move onto the passenger side, thinking man this will be easy since I know what I need to do now!

...NOT. Get the wheel off, drill out the screw for the rotor...then I go to take the caliper off, remember when I said I had used a torx bit instead of the proper allen/hex key? Yeah...well I rounded off the torx bit, meaning the ****ing brakes are stuck on the car until I get the right tool...so I call a few people and finally get ahold of someone to help me out with this. I get the caliper off after a few frustrating hours of nothing. Now the rotor doesnt budge, mean while its now about 10pm so it's getting fairly late and here I am about to beat the thing off with a sledge hammer...metal on metal = LOUD noises. Just my luck.

Finally after a few swings, I decided it would be best to just kick the thing a few times and then BAM ***** fell right off.

Job done...sweet...alright time to throw the wheel back on and call it a night.

Total time doing brakes: 7 hours.
Total time that SHOULD have taken: 30 minutes

Sorry for the essay...new pictures are gonna be coming shortly, need to figure out what I am doing with the hood/front bumper. The front end doesnt look bad at all now that I have a good latch on the car.

Geoff

3ni_2nr
10-12-2009, 08:56 AM
LOL. the cussing is necessary if the job is to make any progress. :D

but at least you know the job was done right!!!

reminded me of "Oil changes done by men and women" thread.

Dr.DooM
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
To be fair, i loved the GTO and all, but a jetta/bora, for me is a much better car, not in performance sense but economy and practicality. Plus,with some tasteful modification can have good credibility. Obviously i do feel slightly saddened by your loss of the GTO but i think you have deffinately chosen a good car to replace it.
EDIT: Oh and i dunno if you guys have noticed but i do have a strong liking for these cars, so i cannot wait to see what you do with it :P

Kracka
10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
To be fair, i loved the GTO and all, but a jetta/bora, for me is a much better car, not in performance sense but economy and practicality. Plus,with some tasteful modification can have good credibility. Obviously i do feel slightly saddened by your loss of the GTO but i think you have deffinately chosen a good car to replace it.
EDIT: Oh and i dunno if you guys have noticed but i do have a strong liking for these cars, so i cannot wait to see what you do with it :P

The GTO was plenty economical, and for my age it was practical. 29-30mpg on the highway, and 18 around town. I just wanted something different and got out of the huge payments :)

I'll miss the car, I already do and it's still out front. Ah well.

Cmon now, I am a VW guy so don't you worry about what will be done ;)

Well the other day I decided to try and fix the exhaust leak the car had, so after we tried welding the exhaust manifold (I found a massive crack in it) together, we found out it didn't work. My friend at NGP (New German Performance) sent me a picture message with a spare exhaust manifold that they had lying around the shop. For $40 I figured I couldn't go wrong since it was suposed to fix my exhaust leak.

Just 2 nights ago we spent a few hours dicking around with the car, one of my friends was wrenching away on it for me, while myself and another friend of mine were working on a little out of the blue project for his MK1 Golf/Rabbit Diesel. Had to fab up a bracket for a vacuum toggle switch to activate a turbo wastegate once he goes Full throttle :)

So we were messing around with both cars for probably 7 hours before we were finished, replaced the spark plugs since I had new ones in the back seat. Go to start the car up, being amped thinking that was my issue........welp. Not really. It didn't fix anything. The leak was still there.

Turns out a majority of the leak was caused by the flexpipe being broken. The guy with the rabbit told me he just so happened to have a section of piping that would work perfect for my car. Same flange for the exhaust manifold and everything....I was stoked. He just GAVE the part to me, and didn't want anything for working on it the other night.

Today I went over to his house to work on my car, we cut my stock section off and then thats when we found the actual cause of the leak..

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/flexpipe1.jpg

That should be about 2-3 inches longer than the 6" extension placed right next to the flex section. So we cut a little bit of the flex weave to see the pipe itself and found this:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/flexpipe2.jpg

Who ever worked on the exhaust previously didn't measure things correctly, as it was pushing the tubing up against each other, and while the engine was torquing, just ripped the metal after a few thousand miles I guess it was.

Got back under the car and made a few measurements, cut the section of downpipe he had laying around for me, and then did a few more measurements.

Got everything correct and then welded the parts together. Car sounds pretty decent, just not what I am used to. :D

Sorry for the long writing, just figured I'd start a mini build thread.

AgentRoo
10-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Shame we don't get those engine choices, it'd be pretty cool.

Bit too young for the car (2004ish for FSI, 2008ish for 1.4TSI), but maybe they could be swapped in at a later date?

Or, of course, a 1.8T or 2.0T :D

Dimensions should be similar, as I know a couple of VAG models changed engines without any obvious change to the model.

Dr.DooM
10-17-2009, 05:01 AM
you can put pretty much any VAG engine into any VAG lol. i know a bloke what swapped his 1.4 for a 2.8 VR6
theres a guy in manchester that has put a VR into a lupo......

TheCarTester
10-17-2009, 06:51 AM
the vw looks good:P
sorry to hear about the GTO though,good luck with the car;)

Kracka
10-17-2009, 09:22 AM
you can put pretty much any VAG engine into any VAG lol. i know a bloke what swapped his 1.4 for a 2.8 VR6
theres a guy in manchester that has put a VR into a lupo......

That's gotta be the same feeling as putting a VR into a MK2, or a 2.0L 16v into a MK1. :o

If I decide on doing something different, it would be cheaper for me to sell this car outright and then pick up the car with what ever it is that I am looking for.

Zpectre
10-17-2009, 11:00 AM
You can put any VAG engine into any VAG, but then you'll have to upgrade everything else, so it's better to just buy the higher-spec car.

Dr.DooM
10-17-2009, 11:26 AM
sometimes its not as simple as that though, you might not have the money to do it another way, or you may well have blown up your previous engine. Also, when your putting the larger engines from the golfs and such into things like lupos, you get an interesting result.
http://www.lupoclub.de/galerie/data/media/1/page45.jpg

Zpectre
10-17-2009, 02:35 PM
sometimes its not as simple as that though, you might not have the money to do it another way, or you may well have blown up your previous engine. Also, when your putting the larger engines from the golfs and such into things like lupos, you get an interesting result.

Of course there are some nice results! But in Brazil for example, the difference in price between a used Golf 2.0 and a Golf GTI 1.8T is lower than the price of the GTI's engine, and the lower model doesn't come with several other upgrades and safety goodies.

A swap only makes sense when talking about different cars IMO (or when you blow the engine as you said).

Dr.DooM
10-18-2009, 07:21 AM
yeah i know that! it would be silly to buy a 1.9TDI 110 then swap it for a 2.0L petrol cos the petrol base car is cheaper anyway lol thats the sort of things that you come across.

KV12supercharged
10-21-2009, 01:25 AM
It looks like there's some work to be done. I know it will look good when you are done with it. :)

Tubaman
10-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Looks like a good project car. Good luck with it:)

Sir Tristan
10-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Euro versions well the best!

2.0 pumps out about 150bhp normally aspirated these days.

What's wrong with automatic though? Don't tell me about "driving experience" crap because this car isn't made for it.

Overall, awesome ride :)

Zpectre
10-21-2009, 09:40 AM

What's wrong with automatic though? Don't tell me about "driving experience" crap because this car isn't made for it.

But the new Euro is FSI engine and an evolution of the old N/A 1.8 20V, while the 2.0 in Kracka's Bora is a really crappy SOHC block.

Kracka
10-22-2009, 02:24 PM

This is the SOHC 8 Valve 2.0l, not the TSI/FSI engine. The automatic is horrible, they are the weakest transmissions ever that VW has produced, and yes, the driving experience is extremely boring, especially when all of my past cars except for a few, have been manual.

Tubaman
10-23-2009, 07:09 AM
This is the SOHC 8 Valve 2.0l, not the TSI/FSI engine. The automatic is horrible, they are the weakest transmissions ever that VW has produced, and yes, the driving experience is extremely boring, especially when all of my past cars except for a few, have been manual.

You could always swap it for a VR6 and a 5 speed. i know a guy selling a Vr for $500 if your intersected.

Sir Tristan
10-23-2009, 07:14 AM

That's bad then. Don't you get 1.8Ts or N/A 1.6SR (sounds small in america but has 100BHP plus the lower weight) in the states?

Dr.DooM
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
for a daily driver its not worth the effort of swapping the engines out, perhaps maybe just making it nice and reliable will be a better option and spending money on something much more worth while would be a better plan.

Zpectre
10-23-2009, 11:16 AM
That's bad then. Don't you get 1.8Ts or N/A 1.6SR (sounds small in america but has 100BHP plus the lower weight) in the states?

No. Please. Just no. The Golfs equipped with 1.6 engines are horribly slow.

If you want a fast MkIV you have to settle for a VR6 or GLI 1.8T.

Sir Tristan
10-23-2009, 11:43 AM
No. Please. Just no. The Golfs equipped with 1.6 engines are horribly slow.

If you want a fast MkIV you have to settle for a VR6 or GLI 1.8T.

Didn't exactly say fast, but I just want to point out that the 1.6 has enough poke to shift the car around (100 horses is enough) and is quite economical.

Actually, my grandad has a very grandaddy 1.4 75HP version of 2000 mk4 Golf, and even sounds pretty neat.

Is 1.9 TDI (90bhp), 1.9 TDI (110bhp), 1.9 TDI (130bhp) or 1.9 GTTDI (150bhp) avalilable in US?

Because all of them diesels especially the hot 150hp are brilliant.

Dr.DooM
10-23-2009, 12:50 PM
the names are
TDI 90
TDI 110
TDI 130
TDI 150 the latter can be remapped to madness, the torque figure is what is intresting.

ive seen figures around 340 lb/ft of torque with a remap and stage two intercooler
EDIT:
Actually, my grandad has a very grandaddy 1.4 75HP version of 2000 mk4 Golf, and even sounds pretty neat.
my 1.25 zetec fiesta has 85 stock lol and it sounds like a 2 stroke strimmer, thats before you take into account i have had a 15bhp~ chip , the injectors from a 1.6 zetec and a K&N filter
so i reckon its maybe pushing about 90 - 95 bhp and it still sound stock. :D

Kracka
10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
I know on the MK4 platform the only Diesel we got was the 1.9, not sure what version it had though. I think it was just the 130hp

I was thinking about dropping this thing and throwing some decent wheels on it, but I got my eyes on a MK1 GLI to do a few things to, but only if I can get this job. Oterwise it's gonna take a while to get the cash together.

Zpectre
10-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Didn't exactly say fast, but I just want to point out that the 1.6 has enough poke to shift the car around (100 horses is enough) and is quite economical.

Is 1.9 TDI (90bhp), 1.9 TDI (110bhp), 1.9 TDI (130bhp) or 1.9 GTTDI (150bhp) avalilable in US?

Because all of them diesels especially the hot 150hp are brilliant.

Smaller engines are not always more economical. :) It could be an economical engine if it was powering a lighter car like the Polo, but the Golf (particularly the MkIV) is too heavy for it. It's best to get a 2.0, you don't have to accelerate as much because you have more torque and you end up having good mileage with it. Not to mention the car simply dies when you turn A/C on.

And yes if you just want an economical car then diesel is the way to go, no contest.

AgentRoo
10-24-2009, 01:38 AM
It's not as bad as you think.

My last car was a 2003 Skoda Octavia Mk1 1.6MPI - more or less a rebadged Bora/Jetta, and it turned in quite reasonable fuel economy, somewhere around 30-35mpg [imperial] (8.1-9.4L per 100km) sustained for mostly urban driving over a 5 mile distance. I did push it up to over 40mpg [imperial] (7.1L per 100km) on the computer on night trips (perfect runs, no waiting at traffic lights or give ways), but I never checked how accurate the computer was.

Kracka
12-29-2009, 06:01 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/springs4.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/springs2.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/springs.jpg

Did some work to it since I last took pictures, and I installed my new suspension. :)

H&R Race Springs with KYB Adjustable dampening Shocks/Struts. Also did new strut mounts while I was under there as they were beyond shot.

As you can see, I fixed the hood latch, replaced the flexpipe(section between the cat and exhaust mani) and exhaust manifold so I do not have any exhaust leaks now. Rewired the factory wiring for the radio as the previous install was a hack job. Installed a K&N panel filter and hacked my stock airbox.

Waiting for my FK smoked tail lights to show up...got them off VWVortex for $40 boyyyyy.

Oh, and replaced the spark plugs and plug wires (they were original!!) had to get a new ignition coil as there was a rain storm that killed that. Swapped out a few vacuum lines as they were cracked/frayed.

Other than that I've just been driving the hell out of the car. Currently has 107k miles

Kracka
01-02-2010, 12:56 AM
The smoked tail lights came in the other day and were installed this afternoon.

I ordered some Smoked E-Code headlights and picked up a shaved trunklid...gonna remove the body line thats on the back of it that goes across. The lights will have a much more concentrated beam pattern than the DOT lights, and the output is so much better as well because it uses an H4 bulb instead of the 9007.

Heres a shot of the lights:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/4214578489_000ac3c1df_b.jpg

Should look sorta like this once I get a new hood/bumper:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs047.snc1/2841_1160323969021_1255464037_30419888_5106611_n.j pg

TwinTurboGTR
01-02-2010, 01:53 AM
Very nice. Not bad for $40 bucks!

EVO9MR
01-02-2010, 10:51 AM
this is turning less and less like a beater :) haha
cars going to look sweet I must say!

GTR
01-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Good deal man...a set of head lights for my Impala ran a good 70 bucks or so from ebay, lol.

Kracka
01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Well the tail lights that I got were 40 bucks, the headlights were $150 shipped.

Tubaman
01-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Well the tail lights that I got were 40 bucks, the headlights were $150 shipped.

Thats a good deal, wish junk was that cheap for my b3

Dr.DooM
01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
i always knew kracka had style, i like the sound of your modifications already.
i always dreamed of buy a bora and doing it up like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FQCBrZjx2Y

GTR
01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
i always knew kracka had style, i like the sound of your modifications already.
i always dreamed of buy a bora and doing it up like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FQCBrZjx2Y

Rims, bagged, and some head lights. Maybe tint and polish too. A treatment which any run of the mill Lumina or Taurus would get in a ghetto. All show, no go, nothing special then.

Dream big man.

Kracka
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Ugh that MK4 was clean as hell. I wish I could get the euro tub for the spare trunklid, but its all one piece. FTL. The videography of that guy is amazing. I've been a fan of his videos for years.

GTR: Plenty of the cars that have that done are packing quite a bit of power. BBS' aren't just some ghetto wheels...he probably has 3k wrapped up in them.

GTR
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Ugh that MK4 was clean as hell. I wish I could get the euro tub for the spare trunklid, but its all one piece. FTL. The videography of that guy is amazing. I've been a fan of his videos for years.

GTR: Plenty of the cars that have that done are packing quite a bit of power. BBS' aren't just some ghetto wheels...he probably has 3k wrapped up in them.

I appreciate the guy's taste en all but, I wanna see some smoke, some 0-60s, maybe a 1/4 ET...at least an engine shot. The videography is cool too but it's way over kill for the way its subject looks.

Dunno about you but the way I see it, a car that's all show and no go is a joke.

Dr.DooM
01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Rims, bagged, and some head lights. Maybe tint and polish too. A treatment which any run of the mill Lumina or Taurus would get in a ghetto. All show, no go, nothing special then.

Dream big man.
you love trying to piss on peoples fires
yes i want a car that i can pose in, since you can't really go anything above 70MPH in the uk with out getting your license taken off you.
when i have more money i will buy something thats a bit of a toy.
screw you and grow up and think a bit more practically, not all of us can afford to run an uneconomical V8 pick-up-truck or sports car. Especially in the uk.

you need to stop letting your head swell when you get infront of your computer.

on topic,
that particular car is probably worth a lot more than your impala. and for all you know he could have swapped a vr6 into it...
any how its not all about being fast when your into volkswagens, sometimes people are just looking to make something that looks truly wonderful in their own eyes, just for their own pleasure. sometimes people think the car looks good too.

i hope that kracka can achieve his idea of what his car should look like because i know he has good taste.

Primus
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM
IMO, the whole DUB scene is mostly focused on riding in style rather then performance and I respect it for that.

Having a car with gobs of horsepower and no room to gallop is an even bigger joke to me. It's like shooting a fly with a bazooka. **** that...

Dr.DooM
01-04-2010, 12:01 PM
thats a better way of putting my argument, thanks primus.

Kracka
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
The difference between these cars and Impala/Taurus' is the fact that its a Cult Following, and there is a WORLDWIDE community for these vehicles. People put their hearts into this brand and the models.....you don't get that with Impala/Tauruses in the ghetto.

Go to a VW show in your area this year and your opinion will change. It did to me...originally I bought a rabbit just to learn stick and ended up spending thousands of dollars on other cars just because of how fun it was.

Kracka
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Just bought:

New Hood
New Front Bumper

TOTAL: $110 (10 is for tolls/gas for the seller meeting halfway) ...I love low balling.

My headlights came in today and they are practically BRAND NEW. Parts are all going on tonight, so I can't really do in progress shots, but I will have "finished" product pictures. The hood/bumper are red for right now. Also eventually going to put my shaved trunk lid on, but I have to figure out what else I am going to do before I get the car re-sprayed.

Meastro444
01-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Have you picked a color yet?

I am really anxious to see how the bora will look :)

Kracka
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Have you picked a color yet?

I am really anxious to see how the bora will look :)

I was originally thinking of just respraying the color of the car now (Baltic Green) but after I put the hood on last night I got the idea of giving it a Harlequin-esque paint scheme.

Also, I have some older corvette wheels that may end up going pretty decently with that idea. (like 1989 styled wheels) IDK yet though, as they're only 16s I think.

Ideas for the trunk lid are as follows, Eurotub for the license plate, with a shaved body line (the thing going from the top of the tail lights and across the trunk) or completely shave the license plate frame and leave just a notched area with two bolt holes for the license plate.

We're not sure what to do just yet...

In the middle of putting everything on:

(Hood was put on at my house...wouldnt fit in the Jettas interior)
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/newfrontmiddle.jpg

And here is the finished product
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/newfront.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/3rdgenfan/jetta/newfront2.jpg

Kracka
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Also going to be buying shortly:

Euro rubstrip for the front bumper(or shave that??? idk...) Bora 4-Motion front lip, and Bora Badgeless grille.

Sir Tristan
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Don't put on 'Vette rims, man. Porsche replica ones would be so cool on this Jetta. So Euro Cultstyle.

Isn't a full respray very expensive? Would be convenient to just paint the red parts as your current colour.

Driv3r
01-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Ahh, gotta love the VeeDub scene. Even if your car is beat up, its still somehow fits in lol.

I saw a Harlequin Golf the other day, I think that's a great idea for this!

Shake
01-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I disagree, leave the harlequins to their original mk3 golf. Just looks weird on mk4's IMO.

The car would look killer on some polished porsche 7 slots though, or go with the new craze and put some MB wheels on there.

Kracka
01-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Probably picking up an 84 Jetta Diesel in a few days/weeks. HOLLA.

Sir Tristan
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I disagree, leave the harlequins to their original mk3 golf. Just looks weird on mk4's IMO.

The car would look killer on some polished porsche 7 slots though, or go with the new craze and put some MB wheels on there.

Porsche rims on VW = epic WIN.

Merc rims on VW... well, not quite.
http://nicharalambous.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vw_fail.jpg

In my book this is guilty of an Automobile Abomination, because Mercedes has nothing to do with Volkswagen. :P

Tubaman
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Probably picking up an 84 Jetta Diesel in a few days/weeks. HOLLA.

Coupe or 4 door? Hoping a Coupe! Dirty diesel FTW!!!

Sir Tristan
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Coupe or 4 door? Hoping a Coupe! Dirty diesel FTW!!!

The new ones are cleaner than hybrids but this will be a proper soot-smoker.

Kracka
01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
I wish it were a coupe. It's a four door.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/kylesmoker/IMG_9394.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj1/kylesmoker/IMG_9397.jpg

Sir Tristan
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Ah man! It's a US version. Replace the fascia and that for a Euro set ;)

Tubaman
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Ah man! It's a US version. Replace the fascia and that for a Euro set ;)

yea that, Slam it and put some BBS's on it, and its pron:D

GTR
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
you love trying to piss on peoples fires
yes i want a car that i can pose in, since you can't really go anything above 70MPH in the uk with out getting your license taken off you.
when i have more money i will buy something thats a bit of a toy.
screw you and grow up and think a bit more practically, not all of us can afford to run an uneconomical V8 pick-up-truck or sports car. Especially in the uk.

you need to stop letting your head swell when you get infront of your computer.

See that's the thing, how can you pose in something that is just as slow as any other normal car on the road? I don't get that. And don't gimme that 70mph bullshit. How fast do you think we can go in the US? 80mph tops. You're supposed to enjoy the acceleration not the speed.

IMO, the whole DUB scene is mostly focused on riding in style rather then performance and I respect it for that.

Having a car with gobs of horsepower and no room to gallop is an even bigger joke to me. It's like shooting a fly with a bazooka. **** that...

I like the way they look, but style...I dunno. They all look pretty much the same with minor mods.

The bazooka thing would make sense if you're talking 500hp+. But when you say 150hp I imagine a Corolla. That kinda power even for a mildly sporty car is a joke.

The difference between these cars and Impala/Taurus' is the fact that its a Cult Following, and there is a WORLDWIDE community for these vehicles. People put their hearts into this brand and the models.....you don't get that with Impala/Tauruses in the ghetto.

Go to a VW show in your area this year and your opinion will change. It did to me...originally I bought a rabbit just to learn stick and ended up spending thousands of dollars on other cars just because of how fun it was.
I haven't been but seen them online. They're pretty sick no doubt. But since when VW means leave it stock? Wasn't the 911 based on the Beetle? Aren't there enough sickass VWs with a shitload of power? Isn't VW pushing the idea that efficiency doesn't have to be boring with their latest Jetta TDI?

And I guarantee you, there's a lot of passion about those Impalas in the pimpmobile community as well. Shitloads of songs about em, and they also have that worldwide community. And even them don't mind some grunt on the hood.

Anyways, congrats on the hood and the bumper. What are your plans for the hood paint? Green like the rest or you gonna black it out?

Sir Tristan
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
@GTR - there are plenty of fast VWs, including loads of twin-turbo'd R32s pumpin' 600bhp+, baby!

There was also a racing Jetta with a 1.4 TSI engine (that is 1400cc) which got 200horses, man.

Sir Tristan
01-13-2010, 03:27 PM
yea that, Slam it and put some BBS's on it, and its pron:D

Yeah, it'd be the BUSINESS, man! :P

Maybe even rust the body properly (rat job).

Why do Euro cars in the US have to have some differences in panels etc? For example when there are completely silvery/dark lights, in US they make them white and turn signals orange.

Kracka
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Actually if I do indeed get it, I will be replacing the cupkit suspension thats on it now (60mm/40mm drop) with a coilover set, and probably getting either Ronal Turbo wheels, or ATS Classics. And then just leaving it alone since its a diesel.

GTR
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
And then just leaving it alone since its a diesel.

Diesel wut

AgentRoo
01-15-2010, 03:56 AM
That the A1 model?

Not upgrading to a fun diesel (1.9 or 2.0 PD/CR)? More expensive and going to be a bit of a pain I know, but with V8 levels of torque on offer :D

Dr.DooM
01-17-2010, 05:21 AM
Kracka's got taste.....! i hope you get it, it would look sick rat style!
glad to see you got a new hood and bumper. when you get badgeless are you goin to weld the semi circular hole that it leaves in the bonnet? since it will need a spray anyway (unless your goin to turn it into a harlequin?)
awesome.

Kracka
01-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Kracka's got taste.....! i hope you get it, it would look sick rat style!
glad to see you got a new hood and bumper. when you get badgeless are you goin to weld the semi circular hole that it leaves in the bonnet? since it will need a spray anyway (unless your goin to turn it into a harlequin?)
awesome.

Originally yes, I was thinking about putting a very small but noticable boser effect on it, but wasn't 100% sure what to do.

Unfortunately I think today is going to be my last day with this Bora. I put it up for sale on VWVortex and craigslist, and got an offer thru SMS yesterday. Someone wants it.

Good news though, is.........I got the MK1 Diesel :)

Dr.DooM
01-17-2010, 02:26 PM
aahh shame, but also not a shame.
a mk1 diesel in the us, that must be rare!

Kracka
02-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Car is GONE! :(

ahhh well. Sold it, paid off my credit cards. Still got the 84, though :)

Shweng
03-02-2010, 06:46 AM
No worries, MkIV Golf/Bora wasn't made for performance. They're all too heavy and underpowered except for the VR6 and the R32. But, despite having a crap engine, this IS a good car. I should know since my sister owns a Golf 2.0. This was probably the best Golf model in terms of build quality, so the Bora shouldn't disappoint you during your short time with it.

And I call it Bora (not Jetta as in the American market) because it's a BORA not Jetta. Americans always find a way to screw up. :rolleyes:

Yo, this is G*man*mike - My first 3 cars were JETTAs - they have always been called that - in Germany where they originate - "Bora" is a rather new name for the same crap - basically. My first two were 70-horse-nafta (1.8) - first edition - while the third one was a diesel with only 54 horsies - perfect to learn driving! Not fast (about 100mph/160kmh) but incredibly easy to handle!

Great cars really - a Golf (or rabbit) with a trunk on it.

And again: I call Žem Jetta because that was the name they first gave that box in Wolfsburg! (home of VW)

Schaefft
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
The Jetta has like 3 different names here in Germany: Vento, Bora, Jetta, depending on the generation, How stupid is that.

About the whole ubercool look-no power thing, you can find my oppinion about that somewhere here in the car section. The author of this thread wont like it at all ;)

I just noticed you owned the GTO before. Why did you buy a Jetta after you sold it?

Id take the regal in the background :D

Kracka
03-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I bought the Jetta because I am a VW enthusiast, and got a hell of a deal on it (paid $1500 for it).

The Jetta was also sort of part of the deal with the buyer, as well.

You don't want that particular Regal, my sister owned it and never took care of it....and then was replaced with a 2010 Ford Focus thanks to my dad...must be nice to be my sister.