View Full Version : Will NFS World Be Playable Offline?

TenPoundBurrito
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm starting this thread for those few of us who don't have internet access at our home. I, for instance, do my internet work through the local library and community college, as I am today.

My question is this - will Need for Speed: World be playable offline or will it be online only?

What I'm hoping for is that it will be online focused, but still playable offline, in the same manner as Test Drive Unlimited and Burnout Paradise. It would be even better if they added LAN support like in Need for Speed: Most Wanted and the Battlefield games. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II made a mistake by making the Special Forces Co-op mode only work over the internet, through Steam, rather than on an LAN. Hopefully, they'll release a patch for it to fix this, but I'm not really holding my breath.

I'm really liking the idea of World being like Most Wanted, in that it offers daytime driving, weather effects, multiple cities, and a whole lot of new cars (World is said to have a great many more cars than any previous unmodified Need for Speed game, and possibly might include the return of Ferrari to the series. If not, we'll always have Arushan). I even like how, in the screenshots, they're using real police cars again, unlike the generic ones they've had since Most Wanted. I haven't seen those since Hot Pursuit II. Maybe they'll even reintroduce police chases from the cops' point of view, like in Need for Speeds 3-6. I still remember the black and white Ford Mustang Interceptor police car in the original Need for Speed back in 1993.

I would appreciate it if anyone, including myself, posts further updates as news comes out as to whether this Need for Speed will be online only or with an offline mode.

GRIMEYtheFATMAN
03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I'd like to know if there will be race replays, or will the PC/console Shift remain the only title with that feature since Underground 2...

Sinister
03-09-2010, 06:35 PM
World Online is just that, Online.
Replays doubtful.

GRIMEYtheFATMAN
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Replays doubtful.

I don't get why not; Project Torque has replays(of course you have to buy tapes in-game in order to record and view 'em, but still...)...

nissan_370Z
03-10-2010, 12:16 AM
there would be no point in having a game called NFS world ONLINE if there was no online part of the game. I emphasized the online part because that is what the game is meant for. playing online against other players from around the world

speedracer523
03-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Replays doubtful.
why?
i known already
the o with two circles is this :O
What the hell I can use other font and colour!!!
sorry admin ijust want to point out

TenPoundBurrito
03-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I've found the current answer to my own question in the NFS World Online Beta Testing forums. Apparently, at least with the Beta version, you must be connected to the internet to play. Here's the quote:

"I’ve installed NFS World, am able to sign in and open the Launcher but I get an error when I try to open the game from the Launcher. What do I do?
There are a few reasons why you would receive an error while trying to open the game from the Launcher:
1. The NFS World servers are not running and therefore the game is unable to connect.
Solution: Wait until the servers are up and running. You can find the latest NFS World server status in the Service Status forum.
2. You are not connected to the internet.
Solution: Need for Speed World is a fully online game. You will not be able to open World without being connected to the internet."

And here's the link to the full article:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/375731.page.

I'm disappointed, as from the description of the game, it sounded pretty good compared with some of the recent Need for Speed games. Also, based on the in-game pictures and the requirements, I think my old computer would be able to run it quite easily, plus the fact that it's online-based and thus will put less strain on the computer to maximize efficiency online.

RuubW
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm really liking the idea of World being like Most Wanted, in that it offers daytime driving, weather effects, multiple cities, and a whole lot of new cars (World is said to have a great many more cars than any previous unmodified Need for Speed game, and possibly might include the return of Ferrari to the series. If not, we'll always have Arushan and nfsu360).

Corrected that sentence for you.

And yeah, the game will be online. You need an internet connection to log onto the server, so without one you're out of luck.

Just out of curiousity: why don't you have an internet connection at home? Do you live in the dark ages or something? :P

Allure
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Just out of curiousity: why don't you have an internet connection at home? Do you live in the dark ages or something? :P

For a billion reasons?

GRIMEYtheFATMAN
03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
^ I don't have an internet connection at home, but my neighbors do... hehe...

Allure
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
^ I don't have an internet connection at home, but my neighbors do... hehe...

That's what neighbors are for...

TenPoundBurrito
03-29-2010, 03:45 PM
@RuubW - I don't have an internet connection at my house for a couple reasons. First off, it's expensive to have good internet (about $50 a month where I'm at for cable internet, and the satellite internet which my friends have is a little cheaper but cuts out every time a cloud or fat bird goes by overhead and the speed isn't much faster than dialup).

The second, more accurate, reason is that my computer was wiped by a supervirus about a year and a half ago. This virus didn't install itself in Windows, on the hard drive, or in the memory, but went beyond all that and installed itself in the BIOS chip inside the computer somehow. I spent a week trying to fix it followed by many hours on the phone with Dell support trying to find out how to get rid of it. Eventually, the guy from Dell support had me go into the Setup in the BIOS and type in a key combination to reset the computer to it's original factory specifications. This in effect reset the BIOS to before the virus was on it, but I still lost a lot of time and data. It's a good thing most of my stuff had been on an external hard drive, or I would've really been done for. If I ever get another computer, my oldest one will go on the internet, but it's not strong enough to run the newer games that need internet anyway. Blasted viruses.

That's why I was hoping this new Need for Speed online game would be like some online-oriented games like Test Drive Unlimited and be playable offline as well. I just want to customize my car and cruise around the countryside, occasionally evading police cars and racing with friends over an LAN like I do with Need for Speed High Stakes and Most Wanted.

GRIMEYtheFATMAN
03-29-2010, 04:18 PM
^ Thanks for reminding me to update Malwarebytes...

RuubW
03-29-2010, 04:28 PM
^ Thanks for reminding me to update Malwarebytes...

Word. Updating now lol.

And wow, $50? What a rip off.

Kaerar
03-31-2010, 11:58 PM
LOL you should see what I pay! Currently it's $139.95 for my internet here in Australia :(
However I pay that much as I am a heavy user and will use the 100GiB monthly download limit pretty easily. Was on 55GiB but I can hit that in two days way too easily!

Zpectre
04-01-2010, 01:07 AM
I pay a lot for a measly 2MB connection. Stupid Third World country... :(

nissan_370Z
04-01-2010, 01:26 AM
i get my internet as part of the a Shaw package which includes home phone, cable and internet. the price is 142.90 in Canadian dollars per month. it isn't that bad considering you save money on getting a package.

RuubW
04-01-2010, 06:42 AM
What the heck guys...

Wireless ADSL - about €20,- a month, and that's about the standard price here.

HSVrules
04-01-2010, 07:26 AM
LOL you should see what I pay! Currently it's $139.95 for my internet here in Australia :(
However I pay that much as I am a heavy user and will use the 100GiB monthly download limit pretty easily. Was on 55GiB but I can hit that in two days way too easily!

What the hell kind of net are you running :S

I've never seen net cost that much.

GRIMEYtheFATMAN
04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
^ I've heard that these providers are eventually all going to go with that model, where your price is determined by your download limit/allowance, in order to shift the cost of operation and maintenance to the heaviest users.
I, personally, would like to see some kind of rollover system implemented, where your unused allowance rolls over to the next month...

SubyRS
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
WAY back on topic.......

I'm disappointed, as from the description of the game, it sounded pretty good compared with some of the recent Need for Speed games. Also, based on the in-game pictures and the requirements, I think my old computer would be able to run it quite easily, plus the fact that it's online-based and thus will put less strain on the computer to maximize efficiency online.

When you consider they are forcing an unpopular mandate for play to a game that has already seen more than it's share of recent failures, NFS may roll over and die this time. I'll call it Motor City Online 2......... "Here at EA, we don't believe in learing from our past failures. And we enjoy giving players the shaft when we decide we no longer feel like keeping servers running to going our software."