View Full Version : 2002 Oldsmobile Alero SL1

Robbie Hanson
05-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'll get to the proof pic when I have time. School and work have been keeping me crazy for a while now.

In the meantime though...

2002 Alero
122xxx miles
Ecotec I-4(2.2L, 140hp)
All stock, so I don't suppose there's anything else to say; unless ceramic brake pads matter?

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/054/7/0/Car_by_k27463.jpg

GTR
05-25-2010, 03:13 AM
UCN had one of these...how come you didn't get the 3.4?

Robbie Hanson
05-25-2010, 09:21 AM
The 3.4 only has 30 more horsepower at the cost of several hundred pounds to the front end and about $3000 new(my dad bought this new in '02). Stock, this is nearly as fast, and handles better due to the weight.

Tubaman
05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Nice, they are not built for tall people tho...

Robbie Hanson
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Nice, they are not built for tall people tho...

Dunno 'bout that, I'm 6'2" and I fit just fine in it. It's actually got a really comfy seating position, arms fairly straight. Sorta like Stirling Moss back in the '50s :P

nissan_370Z
05-25-2010, 05:43 PM
like it already. the reason why, is that my dad had a 2001 intrigue gl (i think) then in 05 he sold it to a dealership.

Bl0cks
05-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Looking forward to some more pics. Any plans for it?

Zpectre
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
It's one of the last Oldsmobile, right? Looks mint.

GTR
05-25-2010, 11:35 PM
The 3.4 only has 30 more horsepower at the cost of several hundred pounds to the front end and about $3000 new(my dad bought this new in '02). Stock, this is nearly as fast, and handles better due to the weight.
It's not that heavy...But it's not like you had a choice here. The 3.4 is more of a torque oriented engine, and on a car as light as this, it doesn't make that much sense anyways.

Looks pretty neat. Have you looked into the mods that're available for it?

Tubaman
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Dunno 'bout that, I'm 6'2" and I fit just fine in it. It's actually got a really comfy seating position, arms fairly straight. Sorta like Stirling Moss back in the '50s :P

I just remember driving my g-ma's and had to push the sun visor off to the side, as it was in the way. It also had a sun roof...not sure if yours does.

Robbie Hanson
05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Looking forward to some more pics. Any plans for it?

Not at the moment. I've got a 25 mile commute to college every day and what I need most right now is a reliable car that gets me where I need to go with decent gas mileage.

I'll get more pics when I manage to keep it clean for a few days. We've been having on and off rain here for the past month and every time I wash it, it gets messed up the next day. I park outside, too, so it's become a sort of bird resting place, with all the assorted, er, stuff...

It's one of the last Oldsmobile, right? Looks mint.

The Alero was indeed the last Oldsmobile manufactured at the end of production in '04. My family bought this right after the announcement of Oldsmobile's demise due to a fat rebate check after our (just before the announcement) purchase of a 2000 Silhouette...which we still have :P

It's not that heavy...But it's not like you had a choice here. The 3.4 is more of a torque oriented engine, and on a car as light as this, it doesn't make that much sense anyways.

Looks pretty neat. Have you looked into the mods that're available for it?

I'm handling obsessive, and even with the 2.2, this has more understeer than I'd like--I honestly believe my Grand Marquis had more balanced suspension tuning. Seriously.

And nope, not really looked into any mods; it has the Sport Touring package or whatever, so it has BFGoodrich Touring T/A tires [225-R17?] (if that means anything?), the four-wheel discs, and ABS. I don't see much point to engine mods on something that I need maximum economy out of, so if anything I'd do suspension tuning; and this is already more than good enough.

I just remember driving my g-ma's and had to push the sun visor off to the side, as it was in the way. It also had a sun roof...not sure if yours does.

That'd do it--no sunroof. The sunroof, actually, did prevent me or my dad from getting in--weird.