View Full Version : Undercover wasn't half bad...

3ni_2nr
06-19-2010, 12:47 PM
So after all the hype about how bad this game was, I was reluctant to buy it and eventually I opted not to. Seeing that it sells for $5 at my game store I figures what the hell...

Firstly, I immediately observed Pro Street's engine with a few minor touch-ups. I happy about the Pro Street style customization and engine audio. I like the fact they tried to bring Most Wanted on the Pro Street engine even though they really didn't do a good job of doing so. As usual the are some cool music tracks in the jukebox that suit my liking. The physics just made me go hmm. Not as stiff as Pro Street, not as loose as Most Wanted. The handling feels all 'digital' and leaves you feeling disconnected from the car. The pursuits are meh. Thy story is shite, so I ignore it.

The map is huge with plenty of highways to go all out. The roads are wide, all of them and a lot of MW's map is recycled throughout.

Going deeper down into the technical aspects, The game requires too much resources to show some freaking shadows. The bloom/over-bright is annoying and I opted to disable them altogether. The smoke is volumetric like Pro Street which is kool.

All in all its not as horrible as I interpreted it to be.

NAMETYR
06-20-2010, 07:41 PM
As usual the are some cool music tracks in the jukebox that suit my liking.

Undercover soundtrack is the best in the Underground style NFS IMO.

The pursuits are meh. Thy story is shite, so I ignore it.

Indeed.

The map is huge with plenty of highways to go all out. The roads are wide, all of them and a lot of MW's map is recycled throughout.

I actually really like the different atmospheres when you go from a place to another. I couldn't agree more.

Going deeper down into the technical aspects, The game requires too much resources to show some freaking shadows. The bloom/over-bright is annoying and I opted to disable them altogether. The smoke is volumetric like Pro Street which is kool.

Didn't notice the first aspect. As for the overbright thing, I think I'm the only one that can appreciate it, it doesn't annoy me at all. But as everyone seem to say like you, I guess it's true :\

All in all its not as horrible as I interpreted it to be.

Same goes for me. We bashed Undercover, but it can still show some good points. You also forgot the car list which is pretty good in my opinion.

Sir Tristan
06-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Same goes for me. We bashed Undercover, but it can still show some good points. You also forgot the car list which is pretty good in my opinion.

Man I totally agree.

In some, *some* ways, on *some* tracks it resembled *cough*, classic NFS.

And nobody seemed to notice, the opponents were hand-tuned. This, I find, is quite cool, not randomized.
Some not-nice jobs were on there, but most were decent, looked like real-life. Almost.
Hand tuned opponents which stay the same always, I guess, mean that you can hex-edit them in any way you want, no? So one could technically, hex-edit them into stock cars/minor updates. Or make a mod for it so that opponents are different/stock?

Heavier pursuit cars gain my approval, makes player's car look less tank-like.

Takedown modes, unless played by morons, look quite ok, if you try and make it look more realistic for yourself and not hit traffic. Damage model looks nice and flashy.

One question guys: does the difficulty level increase with the Patch?

NAMETYR
06-25-2010, 12:06 PM
One question guys: does the difficulty level increase with the Patch?

I didn't notice any difficulty level change, but the patch only got my game lagging even more, so I decided to reinstall it completely without the patch.

HazewinDog
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I have Undercover. I know everyone says its bad, but as a NFS fan i want to have played all NFS'. Ive completed the game (and every race) and really enjoyed playing it. I cant understand why people talk so negative about it. Also i cant remember noticing any bugs.

My fav 5 NFS' are 2, U, U2, MW and UC :)

3ni_2nr
06-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I have progressed further in the game and I realize how fubar the physics really are.

Tier 2 cars can do 180 degree turns at 200 km/h with an average radius of 10 ft. ffffffffffff

HazewinDog
06-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah.. ok, thats something i didnt like either :) So just dont use it :P

Superamerica
11-10-2010, 02:57 AM
How about Carbon then?What's your opinion about that?

rcgldr
11-10-2010, 05:00 AM
One question guys: does the difficulty level increase with the Patch?Yes, but unless you start another career you won't notice. The AI are faster, but don't seem to compensate for the increasing performance you get with driver skills. Early career mode is more difficult, but once you get around half way through career mode, they aren't an issue anymore.

performanceThe patch reduced the blue screen pauses in the game, but didn't fix the issue where the protection scheme renders one cpu core useless unless you do the "affinity trick" as a work around. To do the "affinity trick", once you start the game, ctl alt delete to shell out get into Task Manager, right click on the game in the application window and select go to process. Then right click on the process and click on affinity. Turn off the cpu's to just one, switch to another cpu, then turn them all back on. This will improve game performance quite a bit. On a dual core system, you would select CPU 0 only, then CPU 1 only, then both.

Aussiepride2011
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
yo im with u

EvilSonic151
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
The psyhics in the game are way too ''fubar'' and the AI cars are retarded :| i managed to win a race against tier 3 cars using a tier 1 car....

rcgldr
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
1a. I could not stand how the A.I. reacts within the world.I don't recall an issue with AI or traffic, other than traffic was an annoyance. The traffic cars do randomly swerve. The AI cars seem to drive and take the best line as if your car wasn't there, rather than trying to block you. In the challenge series (you get this when you update to 1.0.1.18 ), in some of the highway battles, the AI car is faster than your car, so the only way to dominate or win is for the AI car to crash early due to luck.

Blue screen slowdowns.The patches should have fixed this. Scroll down to the middle of this web page and get the 1.0.1.18 update labeled as "Challenge Mode":

http://www.needforspeed.com/downloads

Also after starting Undercover, you may want to go to task manager, then click on "undercover", "go to process", "affinity", and turn off cpu 0 and turn it back on. This was mostly a work around to improve performance on a two core system. With 4 or 6 cores, you shouldn't need to do this. You can also try using reg edit to change this parameter, usually a zero to a two:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Need for Speed Undercover]
"g_PerformanceLevel"=dword:00000002

Overall graphics looked good to me (yellow bloom ... Go to options and turn down visual effects. It seems that shadows from AI cars are missing even if you have shadows at max setting.

Warping cops.Spawning of cops or the helicopter seems to be time based and also if you're car is within "sight" of any nearby cops. It's easiest way to lose the helicopter by getting onto the main highway at high speed. Usually the helicopter will go well ahead of your car. Once it's far enough ahead, and there's a gap to cross over to the other side, use speedbreaker (slows down time), hit the brakes, uturn, and get back up to speed. Once the heli is gone, and if there are no moving cops, you can try to stop and cooldown. Even if there's a road block, if it's far enough away, the cops won't "see" your car (the cooldown meter will keep going).

I can plow into another car and barely budge him, yet when I get hit, I will usually grind into a guardrail or spin 180 degrees or both.The AI cars physics appear to have them much heavier than the player's car. Usually if the player's car is fast enough along with the driver skills, it's not too difficult to get past the AI, except for the challenge series where the player uses a car with fixed performance.

I didn't mind the story.You can't expect much from a storyline based on a racing game.

If you want to do a quick redo of career mode, here is a description and a link to a zip of a save where everything (challenge series, all events) but the jobs are done. You can also redo any of the events and will find they are a lot easier with the faster cars.

save with just jobs to do for career mode
only palm harbor rally is initially unlocked
all challenge series events dominated and times reset to 15 minutes
all career non-job events dominated
driver level 18, $10,000,000 cash
maxed out cars in garage:
Lotus Elise, Nissan GTR, Lamborghini Gallardo, Koenigsegg CCX
3 special edition cars from Challenge Series, RX7, Z06, GT2

http://rcgldr.net/nfsuc/nucjob.zip

There's also a walkthrough for someone wanting to redo career mode, mostly about which cars to use (assuming you don't use the challenge series cars if you do challenge series first).

http://rcgldr.net/nfsuc/nfsucwt.txt

rcgldr
02-20-2013, 03:01 AM
I do have the challenge mode and will give it a bit of of a shot now (I've already done a few of the events and find that I'm better using the Zonda in the highway wars event than I am at using the earlier cars now).The issue with the challenge series highway battles is you don't get to choose the car you drive. This is a video of the street silver highway battle (probably the most difficult one in terms of how many retries it takes until you dominate by sheer luck):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXtsrd8YyXU&hd=1

Looking at the files I've already downloaded, it looks like I am already running 1.0.1.18. I can try the affinity trick you've mentioned, but that registry edit is new to me. I edited that and will fire it up in a few minutes. Does that do much on its own or do I still need to do the affinity trick?From what I recall, the copy protection messes up affinity on one of the cpus. For an old 2 core system without hyperthreading, the affinity trick should have more effect than it does on a 4 or 6 core system. The registry edit should be enough, but you can try affinity afterwards to see if that make any difference on your system.

jobs, but I have no clue how to dominate them as the game gives you no info for it).There are only 5 jobs that you can dominate. I mention this in the walkthrough, but here is the list:

Palm Harbor Rally - sprint
Road Rage - highway battle
Rush Hour - highway battle
The Game - outrun
Tri City Tournament - circuit

You mentioned the CCX and I really wanted to use that but have found no way of unlocking/buying it.You can't unlock it from within the game. You need a save editor that changes a car. You buy an extra car, then use the save editor to change that car to a CCX. Most of the online players are/were using the CCX in career mode (it gets ultimate parts), and 100% driver skills (instead of 25%). For career mode, the next fastest overall car is the Zonda (the driver skills you normally earn in career mode give the Zonda good acceleration and top speed, and it has a lot of grip and downforce). Some other cars have more acceleration or top speed, but not enough grip and not enough downforce, and it's difficult to turn a car when it's airborne all the time.

This save editor can be used to change a car, you'll need to install it:

http://rcgldr.net/nfsuc/nfsnationucsaveeditor-beta09.zip

This save editor can be used to set driver skills to 100%, you can just extract the files to a folder and run it, it doesn't need to be "installed":

http://rcgldr.net/nfsuc/nfsucsaveeditorv1.2.zip

In Undercover nitrous increases downforce, even if at partial throttle or under braking, so use it to avoid going airborne over bumps, and also for more grip in corners. Steering is affected by the view you use, steering is more sensitive in hood cam view than bumper cam. I don't recall which chase view (near or far) is more sensitive.

The top cars in Undercover are absurdly fast, example videos:

Zonda at River Expressway off road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQuRfJMgsms&hd=1

CCX at South Blvd & Bank. I get a blue screen near the end of the first lap, but it's because I was using fraps to record. Normally, without fraps, I don't get a blue screen. On the second lap I take that turn a bit slower to avoid the blue screen. This was recorded on an older slower system than what I or most other players would have now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfVaU3OPK8&hd=1

rcgldr
02-20-2013, 09:26 AM
I will respond to the rest of your post when I wake up later on, but I wanted to ask as well... I managed to dominate the rest of what was missing except for 2 tracks, yet the count on the stats shows that I am missing 3. I've scoured the screen and can't find where this missing race is. Is this a common error?There may be an event that you completely missed, since the map (press G to display the map) will stop showing events than unlocked 4 or more levels before your current wheelman level if you're viewing the map in its default "current" mode. For example, once at wheelman level 18, and since the highest level events are level 14, you won't see any events other than jobs unless you switch the map mode to "available". I think that the free roam tab key option also does not display any event 4 or more levels below the current level. The work around is to change the map option from "current" to "available", which will show all non-completed events as yellow icons on the map even if 4 or more levels below the current driver level. It will also display all of the shops that are currently unlocked. For your situation, I'm guessing that switching to "available" will end up showing one yellow icon somewhere on the map. If not, then there's one completed but not dominated event on your map. You'll need to toggle the map display to "completed". I listed the 5 jobs above that can be dominated, so you'll be otherwise looking for any green icons without the dashed circles (those are jobs). The events with swirling circles are special events and those also need to be white instead of green if they are dominated.

That walkthrough that I linked to includes a link to a list of all events in order, making it a bit easier to avoid missing events (you can print or edit this long list, and check off the ones you've run when re-doing a career run), although you still need to change the map option from "current" to "available" to see all events. Link to the list of events:

http://rcgldr.net/nfsuc/nucevent.txt

and a link to all of the pink slip cars:

http://rcgldr.net/nfsuc/nucps.txt

The walkthrough includes which cars are recommended to use. However, if you do the challenge series first, which few players did because the challenge series was added by patch 1.0.1.18, you end up with 3 special edition tier 1 cars you can use from the very start of career mode (and also online), while the AI cars will progress as normal, tier 4, tier 3, ..., making most of career mode very easy.

Another bit of trivia, you can run Undercover without using the DVD. I think the "no DVD required" to run Undercover occurs when you install patch 1.0.1.18, but I'm not sure.

rcgldr
02-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Maybe one day, as I go through the rest in order, I might see you online in one of these?I don't think there are many players online with Undercover these days, at least not in my time zone (GMT -8:00, west coast USA). I sometimes play Shift 1 online, but again there aren't many players online anymore.

For those last 2 dominante events, you might want to try the Zonda, which has the best downforce and grip of the top cars (except for the CCX). River Expressway is one of the more difficult events, but unlike my video, it's a lot easier if you use speedbreaker. Try to avoid hitting the sides of a track so that the zone multiplier gets to 2x. Once at 2x, you get a lot of speed breaker. Note that hitting traffic cars will not lower the zone multiplier, only hitting the sides of a track.

rcgldr
02-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I did use the Zonda and turned the steering up to 10 for both settings and left my engine settings at 3 ... That walkthrough has recommended settings for all the cars mentioned in the walkthrough. From that walkthrough:

Suspension +10, tire +10, and nitrous -10 for all cars
Zonda: eng -10, dvt 0

I didn't know that having the zone multiplier also affects how much speedbreaker you haveit also affects the amount of nitrous. For Undercover, you mostly use nitrous in turns and over bumps, or to recover from a wall hit.

My next target is Shift 1! Oh, and I'm on the East Coast, so lining up a race in the future may be a little tricky.There is a small group of players for shift 1 from the east coast, but I'm not sure how long this will last. When you start playing it, create a thread, and I'll add some links to a walkthrough and some comments.

rcgldr
03-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Once I am done with challenge series (30% done so far), my next target is Shift 1!It's been a week now, have you made any progress on the challenge series?