View Full Version : Discuss your favourite MECH game here!

OZ
02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Do anyone here plays it? Any game of the series. Which is the one you like most If you do, how do your best AC look like?

I play AC 3, for PS2, my lastest AC was a mixture of mixture of a close combat fighter with sniper abilities, good for arena matches... I'm making some mods for it to fit the latest missions (I'm close to finish the game, it's too hard :crazy: )

For those who doesn't know, mech stands for mechanized armor robot...

Tritoch
02-13-2003, 09:26 PM
I personally love Mechwarrior. Any and all releases. Though I must admit, I prefer the often ridiculed Mechwarrior 3. I've played the xbox version of mechwarrior (Mechassault), but I don't think it has a real feel of what the mech series is. It's more of a look-alike arcade version. Another good one is (for PC) Heavy gear 1 and 2 . dang i wish they'd have made a third.

OZ
02-13-2003, 09:59 PM
I've never played mechwarrior on videogames, only as a board game, which was you mech? I normaly played with Mad Cat with an extra round of missle packs, or by second option, a Mad Dog, from a extension board pack, wich was realy cool...

Tritoch
02-13-2003, 11:49 PM
I only ever played the rpg once and didn't really find it exciting. However, in the PC games mechwarrior 2 and mercenaries my favorite mech was the Mad Dog. In 3 and 4 the Cauldron Born. Next when I get Mechwarrior 5, we'll see if the cauldron born holds up its end of the deal. :D

Beowulf
02-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Well, I've played mech warrior 1 through 3, need to play 4, and i like the Timberwolf and Mad dog. Best mechs! Plus LRM20's and pulse lasers :twisted:

Tritoch
02-14-2003, 06:13 PM
Well, I went and priced Mechwarrior 5 (the new mercenaries title), can you believe its $54.99USD? Microsoft is really getting every penny out of the series I guess. But, I gotta have it. But first I have to get a new AGP card. something with more than 16 MB of memory.

Pulse lasers used to mean something (they were my weapon of choice: two large and two meds could wittle an assault mech down to scrap in seconds). In the Mech 4 and 5 releases, they have lost considerable power. Yea, they fire really fast, but It's like firing a pellet gun at an M1 Abrahms. As a matter of fact, most of the weapons have been toned down by Microsoft, even the vaunted Arrow missiles.

Beowulf
02-14-2003, 06:28 PM
Well, here;s what I do in MW3, I load a MadCat with 2 large and 2 medium pluse lasers, the large on the arms, the medus in the centre torso, an AMS in te head, and an LRM20 on each side torso with 2 to 3 blocks of amo each. then i max out armour, add ALOT of heat syncs, and max out speed... it works well. I can get max armour, enough heat syncs to give me constant fire with everything on a desert planet safely, and a top speed of 75 to 80 kph. And my tactics are simple. attack them from a distance with a barage of LRM20's, somethime I use a NARC to. If they get too close... the pluse lasers take affect. And if I loose my arms, I still have 2 medium pluse lasers.

But try this in MW3, put on the 3 code, heat managment, invincibility and infinite amo, and load a stripped down Daishi with as many machine guns as it will take (32 no matter what) walk up to any mech at all, and give it a split second burst from the machine guns all at the same time.... they won't survive. Machine guns are the best :twisted:

OZ
02-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Machine Guns rocks on every mech game, even on AC3, I used to build up an Ac with quad legs for fast mobility and great stability, the, change it arms for burst 60' machine guns and use as left back unity a rapid fire pulse canon and as right back unity a heavy chain gun. Inside options was napalm missles. My favourite tactics was quite simple, but it depended on the scenario the battle was helding on... First sripe down the enemy ammo, taking advantage of the quad legs for dodging his attacks, then attack him with everthing I got once he was empty, specially with air raids, but for that I used a large boost system for jumps...

Amored Core is a quite good game, specially for the arena versions, you can have something like 8 ACs units fighting on the same place at the same time

Tritoch
02-14-2003, 11:03 PM
For Mechwarrior3 when I'm not using a cauldron born w/dual uac20's (makes it easy to take the legs out from under anything), I like using a stripped vulture with 4 lrm20's and as much ammo as possible. Tho sometimes in the campaign mode, I don't get enough ammo from salvage to support that config pnm a consistent basis, so I end up piloting a shadow cat (easy to come by, easy to load out, and very fast). I never have been a fan of PPC's as they are just too slow. Not that I have trouble hitting targets, but they take forever to reload, and the damage to reload value is just too small.

I've never tried AC, but it sounds interesting. Maybe I'll rent it and see how it is.

OZ
02-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Is there any Gundan game for PS1/PS2 besides that fighting one? I got tired of playing in "Street Fighter" style and I wanna chop down some buildings :twisted:

And 2 Renders from Armored Core 3

Tritoch
02-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Those are some mean looking machines! If the game looks half as cool, maybe I should get it. Does it have online capability (like socom, or xbox mechassault)?

OZ
02-18-2003, 09:23 PM
I think the arena mode is up to online games, but I've never tried, my friend and I usually do some battles against AI oponents, the game supports to 6 robots in battle. To bad noones realy knows this game :(