View Full Version : NFSW is now up for download and install

SubyRS
07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
But...the servers are down for maintenance.

Maybe sometime tonight it will be up and running again.

The official forum says they are in a 3 hour maintenance window......

So tonight for sure unless they get overloaded from all us freebee users.

FOX
07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
The said maintenance is supposed to end within one hour, or so it seems.

SubyRS
07-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I'll try again in three hours.

FTR: People have been asking for a long time if there is any single player racing in World, without racing any "real" people online. The answer according to the official guides is "yes, there is". I would hate to see any racing game dependant on the maturety level of the crowd online at any given moment.

RuubW
07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
FTR: People have been asking for a long time if there is any single player racing in World, without racing any "real" people online. The answer according to the official guides is "yes, there is". I would hate to see any racing game dependant on the maturety level of the crowd online at any given moment.

Well, this has been known for months. About 5 months ago, the betas started. Sinister offered every member here to send him a message with their EA account name. He then sent all of these messages to EA, giving everyone on this acknowledged NFS fansite a bigger chance of getting into the betas. Plus, the open betas were also, well, open to everyone. And the game has been up for players who pre-ordered the Starter Pack for a week already.

What you have posted is old news.
The maintenance came at a very unoppurtune time: I was trying to get another level up to get a pursuit skill maxed and to get another 50k cash needed for a tier3 car (most of those cost 600k by the way). Then I was thrown out. Darnit.
The thing about the head start is: it still said "beta" on launcher, and the game was exactly the same as the open beta. Areas of the map were still locked, custom performance packaes were still a combination of performance + bodykit + rims, and there was still no sign of the promised Porsche 959 (the modeling contest that was started around the beginning of the betas). I really do hope that the official release today (Tuesday) will bring a lot of new content and changes - because the game in its current state would be a big disappointment to a lot of players.

SubyRS
07-26-2010, 09:49 PM
It's not old news. People have been asking the question. No one has offered any answer other than the sarcastic "what part of online only don't you understand?", or the equivalent thereof. It may have been known to a few insiders, and people that played the beta. But the questions I have seen posted on this forum on the subject have never gotten a straight answer.

Now that the servers are up, sure enough, they are over loaded.

'tallica
07-26-2010, 11:19 PM
how big is the actual release version of the game?

RM23V1
07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
mmm, and the servers are still overloaded

SubyRS
07-27-2010, 07:34 AM
About 12 hours later and still overloaded LOL! But it is what I expected for a free new game.

FOX
07-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Not overloaded on EU servers :)

SubyRS
07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Fox, did you buy the starter pack or are you a freebbee user like most of us? I'm just curious if the $20 gets you to the front of the line for getting connected somehow. The official EA forum is full of dissgruntled people complaining they can't play a free game.

SubyRS
07-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't want to double post but evidently the game is now online in the USA. General info on the official 'server status' forum says the reason we were getting the 'servers overloaded' message was because the official release time in the USA was 10:00am today. Currently many are posting that log ins are starting to happen and the main download is about 700mb.

RuubW
07-27-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm just curious if the $20 gets you to the front of the line for getting connected somehow..
I heard a friend of mine say that this is the case. Makes sense, actually. Although EA messed up big here, disappointing a lot of players before they could even play.
I'm VERY disappointed in the official release. Players who participated in the betas and head start expected EA to "fix" a lot of the game's shortcoming in this official release. Some of those problems are some areas of the map still being locked, performance packages still consisting of performance+bodykit+rims, the rediculous level 10 cap for free play, how quickly the game gets boring (this would've meant perhaps adding a storyline although I don't care much for that, and adding more types of races like drag and drift), and there's also no sign of the promised Porsche 959 (community contest).

EA also failed to remove known bugs, like for example the bug where the game often crashes in or near the Stadium during a pursuit.
I can't wait for the disappointment and complaints. I've been in the entire beta process and I can't believe that Black Box came up with this piece of junk and took so long to make it. Thousands of players have supplied EA with suggestions and feedback, only to find it being ignored. Yes, they have listened to some suggestions, but they have ignored the majority. EA and Black Box think they know best. Well, we'll see how people like this. In its current state, the game will be deserted within months. This is a game to play until level 10 then drop in every once in a while, or play full out with a Starter Pack to reach level 50 and then be bored. I'm level 39 now and find the game extremely boring.

comthere
07-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Personally, I don't like that idea of SpeedBoost. They could at least have you earn some somehow. I tell you, I will NOT buy the Starter Pack. I was very disappointed to find out about SpeedBoost only to payers. Me?, I only do the races to get more levels to make my car look better. Other than that, I join just to skid around and drive around. It gets boring after a while. :(

3ni_2nr
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
It doesn't let me get past the window to pick a username :/

EDIT:

Nevermind, browserfail.

SubyRS
07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I gave the game a try a for two minutes but the first thing I find out is there is very little game controller support, so it is keyboard controls only. No thanks. I'll wait until I hear they've added more controllers to the list.

I have the MS X360 wireless adapter for Windows, but the game only will recognize the wired controller which I don't have. I have a Logitech PC/PS3 Rumblepad, but not the Rumblepad it recognizes.

I'll pass on this one if they don't add more supported devices. I don't play racing games with keyboard and I don't need to buy another controller to add to my stock pile.

What's really funny to think about is how many people spent $20 to play a week early only to find out they did not have a game controller that was supported. Then they ran out quickly to buy a $40 + game controller that is supported. So they spent $60 or more to play a free game. LOL. You know this has happened.

Sinister
07-27-2010, 11:43 PM
The first thing I did was use up all three of my driver profiles claiming my user names before they were taken.

3ni_2nr
07-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Tried it out. I was disappointed by the lack of manual transmission and Carbon physics and the powerups are so Mario Kart. Not fond of it in any NFS or any racing games with real cars for that matter.

I also encountered the compulsory Black Box game crash.

On the good side, erm, I caught up with FOX, yeah and, well, the game is free! Yeah so, all in all, [insert constructive critique here]...

ElvenAvenger
07-28-2010, 06:12 AM
World.needforspeed.com is freaking out on me, it takes ages to load and "News" don't show at all.

That aside, after reading all those happy headstarters, i didn't buy World. I will wait, and either they will fix those stupid bugs, add more cars along with the promised 959, or World will die.

Now, who would have thought a cars engine gets more and more silent the faster you drive?
That is what happens to me in World.

Not to mention Evo 9 having engine sounds of a 350Z.

And M3? ugliest engine sound i've ever heard. I dearly hope its not the same in real life, though that should be obvious.
Until they get the game to atleast MW/Carbon level, i'll pass. Maybe ill get on for some free S15 freeroaming but thats it.

RuubW
07-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Right, now they did it.

They decreased rep rewards again. By about 60%.
Let's recap: we got a 60% boost in the head start. So in the official release, we got about 60% less rep, and now again 60% less. Do the maths and you'll see that's 36% of what we first got. And that's a positive number: I measured we now get 26-30% of what we first got (Where I would've gotten 21k rep in the head start, now I get 5,5k rep). Remember: this is not me bugging about the decrease after the head start, they told us about the rep boost from the beginning.

A couple things:
- This is like giving a kid a lollipop and then taking it away again.
- How on EARTH do they think that making a boring game even more boring will make it successful?! I've seen a lot of stupid moves throughout the betas, but this is stupidest of all.
- I don't find the game worthy to be played right now. I've seen the game destroyed in the past five months of betas, the official release was already a disgrace, but now it's just not worth playing any more. Except for dropping in every once in a while, of course.
- Y'all are going to find me stupid when I say this, but I'm going to find out if people can get a refund on their Starter Pack or have their remaining SpeedBoost refunded.

By talking to others a bit I have seen that most people don't care. Why? Makes sense really: they're at level 10, aren't buying the Starter Pack because the game is not worth it, and plan to drop in a couple of times a week. Conclusion: today EA has ruined any chance they might have had left of making this game successful. No, this game will die either a quick death or a slow silent death.
Guess that now the real waiting for Star Wars: the Old Republic and Half-Life 2 Episode Three commences.

SubyRS
07-29-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't know if EA intended World to be successfull. I mean what do they have to gain from a free game? Obviously they are getting some kind of usefull info from us that they can exploit in future endeavors. But to me it seems more of an excercise of some sort because the new Hot Pursuit game will be out shortly at which point World will get dropped like a hot potato. IMO.

Personally I (will) like the game. Because if they add more support for game controllers I will enjoy playing the Carbon and MW maps again with better graphics and especially Carbon in the (mostly) daylight.

OscarDaGrouch
08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
this game seems like one of those games you play on a flash website for free..think someone had an idea and then just left it there,EA picked it up applying no changes and try to make some money

SubyRS
08-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Since my last reply I've had time to get to tier 5 using an X360 controller. And since then I no longer refer to NSFW as a free to play game, because it is not. It is full retail digital downloadable game that you must PAY to play for anything past the demos first ten tiers.

The demo gives you one car. You must pay real money to unlock garage spaces to own more than the one car you start the demo with. So you can't change your car because you have no garage space, even though you have plenty of in-game cash to buy one. And you can't sell your only car and buy a new one. If you want to try all five available cars in the 10 tier demo, you must start all over with a new name profile.

Getting my X360 controller to work in the demo has made playing fun and made my 100% win ratio in single and multiplayer ranking possible. Without the game pad I was at 28% under my first profile name. I started the new profile once the controller was working.

Right now I am just working on a killer paint/vinyl job to cruise the streets with and show off. Ultimately I will end up spending more time with this paint job than playing the complete demo, just like Pro Street.

maggit
08-04-2010, 02:10 PM
One correction. You can own 2 cars 'for free'.

3ni_2nr
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
how exactly?

RM23V1
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
how exactly?

you have two open spots in the safehouse

3ni_2nr
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
not before level 10...

RM23V1
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
I do, & if you use all 3 profiles you can have 6 cars
it will take till level 4 or 5 before you have enough $ in the game

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MUZFm5vCUlA/SnB9AsfMiJI/AAAAAAAABPo/iFwQ_zgMnIc/s400/double-facepalm.jpg

SubyRS
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
My bad. It looks like I can buy a second car.

The 1/1 counter in the top right corner and the note on the lower left that says you can buy a garage space with boost to add a car is very missleading. That and the fact that when you scroll through the 6 available cars in Tier 1 catagory, it goes by default to the special edition car you cannot buy at all. Both me and my son did not figure that out. You have to click the bottom "style" type ( I think ) selector to see a car you can purchase. Dumb way to do it EA.:rolleyes5

3ni_2nr
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
now aint that some shit...

Thanks Subymenz

SubyRS
08-07-2010, 11:06 AM
I allmost forgot. LET'S PAR-TAY EVERYONE! NFSW a 2 car demo!
Like allmost every other racing demo out there really. Every demo is free to play.
Just don't believe the EA marketing lie that it is a free game.

maggit
08-08-2010, 05:04 AM
True. And it's a demo of a pretty mediocre game if you ask me.