View Full Version : Need For Speed World Goes Free to Play

Mike343
09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Source: http://www.needforspeed.com/post/need-speed-world-goes-free-play

The Need for Speed World team has announced they are removing the Level 10 cap starting today and making the game completely Free to Play.

The Need for Speed World team is pleased to announce we are removing the Level 10 cap starting today and making the game completely Free to Play.

We've listened to the comments from our community and we've decided to make a change. Previously, gamers who didn't buy the Starter Pack were unable to progress past Level 10. Beginning today, anyone will be able to race all the way through to Level 50 and will have full access to the entire World, all Events and Game Modes, both present and future.

In the next weeks and months we have some great new features coming including new cars, deep performance customization, a new world region and a co-op pursuit mode. With such cool content we wanted to make sure everyone has the chance to experience the complete game from Level 1 to Level 50. For more info about these new features click here.

Our VIP gamers who bought the Starter Pack before today (Sept 8th) will soon be receiving a little present from us in the form of three free 7-day car rental vouchers for the BMW M3 GTR, the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 and the Audi R8 4.2 FSI Quattro.

We wanted a way to say "Thank you" to our most ardent fans and cool, fast cars seemed to be the best way. We'll be emailing codes to all the qualified gamers shortly. Thank you again for all your support and passion.

http://www.nfscars.net/media/world/audi.jpg http://www.nfscars.net/media/world/bmw.jpg http://www.nfscars.net/media/world/lamborghini.jpg

You can read the orignal article here. (http://www.needforspeed.com/post/need-speed-world-goes-free-play)

LiveToPorsche
09-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Absolutely wicked.

Thanks for the good news Mike, and thanks to the NFS team for making it free to play.

Zpectre
09-09-2010, 12:58 AM
LOL the people who have already bought the Starter Pack are going to be soooooo pissed off... :D

It might make me go back to this game. With the other changes they're planning, it may be worthwhile. But there's no mention of that SpeedBoost crap being removed... I wish they made the power-ups buyable with in-game money, either that or at least some of the lower-level ones. I've already used quite a lot of nitrous in my account.

LiveToPorsche
09-09-2010, 06:10 AM
LOL the people who have already bought the Starter Pack are going to be soooooo pissed off... :D

It might make me go back to this game. With the other changes they're planning, it may be worthwhile. But there's no mention of that SpeedBoost crap being removed... I wish they made the power-ups buyable with in-game money, either that or at least some of the lower-level ones. I've already used quite a lot of nitrous in my account.

Yeah, I noticed that when I was online today.
Ah well, can't have everything in life.

Mike343
09-09-2010, 11:18 AM

You get powerups a lot of the times when you win races.

OscarDaGrouch
09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
sometimes waiting pays off

Schaefft
09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Lol, this so reminds me of EAs Battleforge which was released a years or so ago. I got the chance to talk to an Ex-employee and trust me, for the developers this isnt good news at all;)

AJ_Lethal
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Proof there's a God.

Now we're awaiting RuubW's suicide.

rcgldr
09-09-2010, 01:58 PM
The removal of the level cap is not the issue. The stater pack players are mostly upset that they are getting 7 day tier 3 rentals instead something more useful for the $20 they paid for the game. EA may change what the starter pack players will get. A duplicate of the post I made in the free to play thread at ea forums:

- - - a summary of this thread so far - - -

The number one complaint is being compensated with tier 3 rentals which aren't very useful to most starter pack players.

The number one request here is for more car slots.

- - - is speed boost going away? - - -

With the recent change in drop rates, players now get powerups at a rate that seems to eliminate the need to ever buy speed boost unless EA creates some new content and/or feature that is exclusive to speed boost (which would upset players once again).

- - - regarding more car slots - - -

I want more car slots for all players, both free to play and starter pack players. This may already be in the works based on the ask mark videos.

- - - regarding starter pack rewards - - -

Permanent rep and cash amplifiers.

More skill points (not more levels), perhaps 10 or 20 more skill points. The current 49 skill points a player gets by reaching level 50 already is enough to maximize all performance related skills, so these extra skill points would not result in an unfair advantage in races, but could be used for amplifiers or explore skills. However many players are asking for the ability to redistribute skill points (a skill undo/unlearn feature), and if this is done, more skill points would still be useful, but a bit less so.

luchadolittle
09-10-2010, 07:23 AM
i just bought starter pack few days ago so.... i got ****ed by them....

3ni_2nr
09-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Now we're awaiting RuubW's suicide.
+1. Inb4walloftext.

Honestly I feel sorry for the starter pack players. They get 3 RENTAL cars. LMFAO!
Why not make the 3 models available for free for the SP players?

ur doin it wrong EA...

T0MMY
09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
i'm thinking that maybe some of the new cars coming will be starter pack user exclusive. If they do so it'll be more fair for them.

Sir Tristan
09-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeha.

Great. I waited for this, and now it's here. Thanks EA.

@Starter Pack buyers: too bad for you guys.

Actually, I never planned to pay for 2 old games mashed together and now I don't have to :)

Instead of 3 rental cars they should get sth awesome like all mods & cars feh freez.

SubyRS
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Dang! I never saw this comming. But the participation online has been very low it seems whenever I am on. Gotta love all those two player online races lately.

As far as those that paid I feel sorry and not sorry for. Sorry EA desided to give away something they said you have to pay for. Not sorry because you should have known better. Never buy a game that the company can pull the plug on at any time they want. On the other hand, you did get to access all the features of the full game one month earlier than the rest of us, so don't complain.

This may actually hint that NFSW is a flop and they are contemplating unplugging the game in the near future. I can't really see it having any real appeal after HP3 comes out. Anyway, I'm going to log in and see what the full game offers now, LOL.

RedCarDriver
09-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I bought the Starter Pack, and I'm actually not upset about this. This is for a couple of reasons:

1. I actually conserved my SpeedBoost and spent it wisely; the fact that the Starter Pack came with $20 worth of SpeedBoost alone makes it worth it.
2. The extra week that "VIP" players had were the only reason I'm at the level I am at now, because of the increased XP during that week.
3. Additional players at levels above 10 = more competition on courses other than Construction Route = more XP and cash, and more fun.

SubyRS
09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Does anyone know why EA unlocked the full game for everyone? I was thinking maybe there was some sort of legal challenge involved. I mean I am gratefull for sure, but before this the EA claim that it was a free to play game was just simply not true. I wonder if some eager lawyer that plays NFS challenged that "free" claim and won.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to unlock more cars and vinyls now. I hear that the third garage space does not unlock until tier 12??

AJ_Lethal
09-11-2010, 02:06 PM
On September 8, 2010 World had passes 1 million registrations. To celebrate that, the game was made free-to-play and the level cap was removed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFS_World

SubyRS
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
An interesting and plausable answer, but hearsay none the less. A "wiki" is not an authoritative answer.
It gives no scource of information other than the link (4) to the EA announcement which says nothing about the real reason for unlocking the full game other than they "listened to their fans". Nothing about reaching the 1M mark.

EA is going to give those that paid to play some exclusive (notice I did not say free) cars to rent.