View Full Version : Demo impressions

NFSHSforever
10-26-2010, 04:10 PM
So I played the demo a few times on the 360. Overall impression... not good. Granted the demo is way to small to get a good sense of how well the entire game will be but not liking what I've seen so far.

Pros:

-Cop Chases
-Play as cop
-Car models look good

Cons:

-Hopefully the demo does not represent the final graphics but the environment is absolutely terrible. Jaggies galore, low poly props, low res textures. This would be remedied somewhat on a powerful PC but I already have a year's worth of Xbox live I would waste if I got the PC version

-Handling... feels like and on/off switch for drifting first there is massive understeer than.. snap.. oversteer.

-Takes downs are crap, has anyone managed to stop a racer but just pitting/blocking them in? I've tried and failed they just plow right through you.

-No dashboard view

-Autolog, I don't want this crap, it has already pissed me off because it said I need another friend online to play the racer event

-But the absolute worst point is that the game just doesn't feel like Hot Pursuit. I hate to say the obvious but this is Burnout on steroids. A fine game I'm sure of it, but not hot pursuit material. Hopefully my opinion will change once I play the full game.

Trusty old High Stakes will remain on my PC for years to come :Facepalm:

Zpectre
10-26-2010, 07:47 PM
-But the absolute worst point is that the game just doesn't feel like Hot Pursuit. I hate to say the obvious but this is Burnout on steroids. A fine game I'm sure of it, but not hot pursuit material. Hopefully my opinion will change once I play the full game.

Did you hear that, Criterion? DID YOU HEAR THAT???

Nice to see confirmation for my thoughts based on the gameplay videos.

Sinister
10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Its fun at least, maybe more so when there's more to do..

It took me two tries to get to the top of the speed wall in the pursuit challenge, and only once on the Racer side. Of course that's only against the friends on my list.

KF72
10-26-2010, 08:27 PM
-But the absolute worst point is that the game just doesn't feel like Hot Pursuit. I hate to say the obvious but this is Burnout on steroids. A fine game I'm sure of it, but not hot pursuit material. Hopefully my opinion will change once I play the full game.:

Now, I find this fun. Screw ya'll.

Plus, I can't download it because the damn PS store updated late. Damn Red Dead.

maggit
10-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Sounds like this game has a lot of wasted potential. Thanks Criterion for making a 'true comeback' which is simply another mediocre NFS with shiny graphics. Mediocre especially in the physics department.

nfslover101
10-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Its fun at least, maybe more so when there's more to do..

I agree. I am looking forward to receiving my pre-order. I was a tad nervous before playing because of people complaining, but it reminds me a lot of the old NFS's, minus the drifting and the nitrous. But the Crown Victoria and calling in road-blocks and using spikes reminded me of Hot Pursuit 2. I enjoy the demo, but it does get a tad old doing the same 2 races over and over, but I keep finding myself going back.

EDIT: This is just my opinion. Play the demo if you get the chance. Don't judge it by other people's opinions. You can't judge a book by its cover (or a game in this case).

Allure
10-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Eh, expectable.

Sounds like this game has a lot of wasted potential. Thanks Criterion for making a 'true comeback' which is simply another mediocre NFS with shiny graphics. Mediocre especially in the physics department.

Seconded.

Sinister
10-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Everyone has their opinions, like it was stated, it is best to try the demo yourself, don't rely on opinions from either side of the fence.

Allure
10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Everyone has their opinions, like it was stated, it is best to try the demo yourself, don't rely on opinions from either side of the fence.

Like I've said before, I will give this game a shot, but the demo feedback, not only from this site, has been mostly negative.

Sinister
10-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Oh I know, but a very large portion of the complaints I've read come from the "make another underground" fans.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement, but the game does have alot of the core values related to the original six. Games need to be pushed differently since the current generation of gamers have some form of A.D.D.

Games of the old don't entertain this generation compared to how high stakes gave us enjoyment. Kids now want more, faster, action packed games. Criterion had tried to do that while keeping some of the original history alive.

nfslover101
10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Like I've said before, I will give this game a shot, but the demo feedback, not only from this site, has been mostly negative.

You also have to understand that its only a demo and its not going to show the true finish of the game. Although the basics are there.

Sir Tristan
10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
I am so sick of hardcore purists. If you don't like it - do the same thing you've been doing for the past 7 years. That's whining and moaning, and then playing anyway.

This looks like a fun title, and you can still play HS, no? If you truly want classic, play ****ing classic! Funny how you want the old when you can just play it now.

I think the game has a great vibe and is like a mashup of my good memories plucked from everywhere in NFS and beyond. Yes I think more strategic cop work would be nice, yes I think more realistic gameplay would be nice. But Burnout is fun too. I can't believe we're honestly having those conversations.

Allure
10-27-2010, 11:27 AM
It's not a purist's thing, Tristan. This thing is messing up the true quality a game should deliver. It has ****ing weapons. If I'd want to play Burnout, I'd play Burnout. I want Need for Speed, not a Grand Sport deploying a spike strip.

Zpectre
10-27-2010, 06:07 PM
But the Crown Victoria and calling in road-blocks and using spikes reminded me of Hot Pursuit 2.

This is exactly my issue with what has been shown to us so far. They picked the wrong NFS to model their game after. Helicopters dropping spike strips remind me of the ridiculous bomb-dropping helicopter in HP2, which was (at least on PC) the worst of the classic NFS games and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other classic games.

Linkin
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
I thought the demo felt pretty legit, physics seem nice and tight and the sense of speed is high. The takedowns were a little lame as the cars feel glued to the road, but they are nice looking.

appollo four fourty
10-28-2010, 01:10 AM
+ Ford PI
- Physics (kinda? :rolleyes5)

This is not "Taking NFS back to its roots" It's not shabby, but by all means this is nowhere close.

Sir Tristan
10-28-2010, 03:06 AM
My impressions from the demo:

Abandoned, gutted, forgotten.

PC is THE platform that needs damn demos to see if it even works on your spec! Consoles guarantee it'll at least work at a framerate, never mind the quality of the game itself.

3ni_2nr
10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Played NFS3 and HS last night. Played the demo @ the Game store today, played BP just now.

Classic NFS? **** no. You could at least try to brainwash me by giving me an in car/dashboard view. Maybe I'd be too impressed with that to notice the lacking NFS substance in other areas.

Actually, its a fun game. My opinion is similar to that of Pro Street. Its a lot more fun when you don't think of it as a Need For Speed Title.

Hawk
10-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I found the demo to be highly enjoyable, even with only 2 races, 1 pursuit - 1 racer.

However I found a lot of nostalgia playing this game and a lot of attention was paid to the series roots:
- Lights are able to be turned on and off at will
- Same goes for sirens / lights of the police cars
- When viewing a car before starting a race, it'll give you a breakdown of the car (see NFS1 - PU) before you head in
- The 'feel' is there, even if you find similarities with Criterion's previous "Burnout Paradise" in there (I don't think they can help that)
- Dynamic lighting. Not quite selectable Day / Night and Weather combos we've seen. But progression of time is a nice touch as we've seen with this developer and Burnout Paradise.

The lack of dashboard is disappointing, yes - but at least a hood cam. Criterion has only made Burnout games, none of them have had dashboards. So I don't mind them not including it.

I am very excited to own a good NFS game on PC again. I think if you look hard at the series and what it's been about, this is the best thing we've seen since Most Wanted. And probably better including the cops as a playable force.

The games of yesterday can't be remade today, but this is pretty darn close. I think they've done good this time and EA will get my money on this one.

Sir Tristan
10-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Actually, its a fun game. My opinion is similar to that of Pro Street. Its a lot more fun when you don't think of it as a Need For Speed Title.

Funny, 'cause that's how I play Most Wanted and Underground.

This one WILL brainwash me with solid eyecandy. It will use its weapons on me, and they will work. I'll be spellbound by this thing, because...

- The 'feel' is there, even if you find similarities with Criterion's previous "Burnout Paradise" in there (I don't think they can help that)

Exactly. Never played Burnout before (except for Paradise, 5 minutes somewhere), so I won't have experienced it. For me, it's win-win.

Mr. Sting Ray
10-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Funny, 'cause that's how I play Most Wanted and Underground.

This one WILL brainwash me with solid eyecandy. It will use its weapons on me, and they will work. I'll be spellbound by this thing, because...

Exactly. Never played Burnout before (except for Paradise, 5 minutes somewhere), so I won't have experienced it. For me, it's win-win.

Burnout Revenge on Xbox was the shit.

_BLAHHEAD_
10-28-2010, 08:48 PM
-Hopefully the demo does not represent the final graphics but the environment is absolutely terrible. Jaggies galore, low poly props, low res textures. This would be remedied somewhat on a powerful PC but I already have a year's worth of Xbox live I would waste if I got the PC version

I think that's only on the 360, because on the PS3 the graphics are rather superb. The props are kinda low poly, but the textures aren't blurry(unless being motion blurred) and everything is rather smooth on this side.

For the game, the cars feel like heavier versions of Burnout Paradise's cars, which is not what everyone wants. It's fine by me though, just takes a bit of time to get used to (One or two races?). Autolog is also a great feature, assuming you have friends that also play the game. Kept me replaying the races over and over again to try and take first on my wall.

Sinister
10-28-2010, 09:32 PM
It seems that the concept of the autolog is doing exactly as it intended.

GreedyTurbo529
10-29-2010, 08:50 PM
-Handling... feels like and on/off switch for drifting first there is massive understeer than.. snap.. oversteer.

I think your referring to the body roll.

Ive played the demo a few times now. Its pretty sweet. Cant wait to race with some good cars.

Nuts4Ford
10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Im loving it but Im getting more and MORE frustrated that taking down cars as the cop is RIDICULOUS. The only way damage the cars are hitting them from the rear quarter panels and back, MAYBE pinning them, and the spike strip. Hell the roadblock doesn't work UNLESS you happen to hit the car IF they stop.

They need to fix the pursuit mode:
- You're a cop, PIT should be in effect, so spinning out a car should also count towards damage.
- Hitting the car ANYWHERE will cause damage, even if it's brake checking him
- Roadblocks should cause damage (if they do, it's not enough to notice)
- If your not going to give Roadblocks damage, maybe you should go into a short "slowed vision" mode so you can see where the f*** the stopped/slowed car is.
- The leaderboards SHOULDN'T be time based as its mostly set by LUCK and should rather be judge based on type of takedown (so score based)

Thats how I would fix pursuit mode.

Also it seems Autolog has been having some issues tonight, it said I drove the 370z pursuit when I've only driven the Crown Vic.

GreedyTurbo529
10-29-2010, 11:00 PM
- You're a cop, PIT should be in effect, so spinning out a car should also count towards damage.
- The leaderboards SHOULDN'T be time based as its mostly set by LUCK and should rather be judge based on type of takedown (so score based)

I agree with all this. Some of us like to play with our prey before eat it.

- If your not going to give Roadblocks damage, maybe you should go into a short "slowed vision" mode so you can see where the f*** the stopped/slowed car is.

Except for the second half this one. I want my camera to stay with me. Ive always hated it when games put you car on autopilot and give you an action camera showing you a car wreck. It sucks. I cant to a "Double kill" cause of that damn thing. And it keeps messing me up. I know the car wrecked, I hit the damn thing. plus I got a rear view mirror.

Also it seems Autolog has been having some issues tonight, it said I drove the 370z pursuit when I've only driven the Crown Vic.

It told me that you drove the crown vic, earlier.

Sir Tristan
10-30-2010, 02:51 AM

I agree with everything, but I don't think they'll be able to fix it now.

T0MMY
10-30-2010, 05:19 AM
is the car controls like burnout? or you can actually dont need to drift in corners

GreedyTurbo529
10-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Its practically burnout in almost every way. You get boost faster if you drive more crazy and all that. You can drift corners but it slows you down.

Hawk
10-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree Greedy, but it's better than NO² just recharging - just because

KF72
10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I thought the demo was pretty good, just one complaint.

It may just be the police cars being RWD, but I just can't throw the back end out as much as I would like. I want a little more drift, but I haven't tried the roadster event.

Nuts4Ford
10-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I thought the demo was pretty good, just one complaint.

It may just be the police cars being RWD, but I just can't throw the back end out as much as I would like. I want a little more drift, but I haven't tried the roadster event.

just tap x to initiate a drift and use the steering to control. The longer you press x the more the back end comes around.

SubyRS
10-30-2010, 02:21 PM
The only thing I read here that I agree with is that this new NFS is geared toward the A.D.D. afflicted action packed crowd.

I don't see, or more importantly, feel any connection to a past NFS game. People are saying the driving is "tight", but I think they must have an abstract understanding of that racing term. I don't feel connected to the car. Am I in control or is the game controlling the car for me? The controls are very vague, which is the exact opposite of "tight".

This demo seems more like the Split Second demo, but with inferior control. I don't feel any connection to past Burnout games either. I get the feeling in the HP demo that if I were to put the controller down, my car and the game would just go on without me. It's a new control system that does not compare to any racer out there now. Like it or leave it. I'm not sure now.

The graphics are what I expect of a console game, although other companies (Forza 3 for example) seem to be able to pull off some amazing graphics with the same dated console hardware. I'm sure a current generation $3000 PC with all high graphic settings will look allot better than this grainy console stuff.

This is a one race demo. EA is requiring me to find someone else to download this demo, play it, and then join my friends list to unlock the second race of the demo. So they are going to dangle a carrot in front of me and require that I become a PR representative of their product to play another demo race? Now they've pissed me off. This is not how you attract customers.

I hate to think that this is the third NFS title in a row that I didn't buy. There is no hurry to buy this game now.

Hawk
10-30-2010, 02:53 PM
just tap x to initiate a drift and use the steering to control. The longer you press x the more the back end comes around.

Tap X? I just tap the regular brake to initiate a drift...

RedTwentyFour
10-30-2010, 03:05 PM
dunno what your problem is. i LOVE THIS GAME!! ...

Sir Tristan
10-30-2010, 03:36 PM

Is it possible to brake in a straight line a bit, then turn, then hit apex, and then exit the curve?

Or do you have to drift all the time? Is it possible to win a race without Nitro?

Nuts4Ford
10-30-2010, 03:46 PM

If you tap x u can keep the throttle down. Honestly on these two tracks, you don't even kIneed to touch the brake

Speed911
10-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Is it possible to brake in a straight line a bit, then turn, then hit apex, and then exit the curve?

Or do you have to drift all the time? Is it possible to win a race without Nitro?

Or do like old school NFS and take the turn as fast as you ****ing can... not drift the whole god damn time. I wanna drive it like a normal car.

FreelancerMar
10-30-2010, 05:03 PM
hrmmm. So this is an NFS badged Burnout eh???

Guess I won't be buying this one.

OZ
10-30-2010, 05:44 PM

X = brakes
not something hard to figure out :Facepalm:

anyway, loving the game also. Imo, driving is nothing like burnout. Specially since its easy to snap out of a drift once it's started. Also, cars weight is very noticeable when taking turns.

KF72
10-30-2010, 09:16 PM

I know, but I like to throw out the back end a little more without the handbrake, like in Shift. I don't want to have the acceleration locked up when I drift.

Xetrem190
10-30-2010, 10:43 PM
This game from Criterion does not impress me. I just do not like it, prorbably because I am more into the concept of the old school NFS. Say thank you to EA Canada for starting it all, if they still were in control of the NFS Franchise.

Nuts4Ford
10-31-2010, 06:04 AM
i just don't understand some of your complaints guys? You say that you want the old NFS back and that jazz, but here it is, right in front of our faces. This is as close as they will EVER get back to NFS's roots. They aren't going to make a carbon copy of NFS:HS with prettier graphics, ever, because they know it wont have the mass appeal. We have high powered Exotics, Twisty Country Roads, COPS, and multi-player cop chases. THIS IS NFS AS WE ONCE KNEW IT. Criterion brought us our baby back and you guys are STILL butthurt over it?

If you're complaining about the physics, well II, III:HP, and HP2 were nothing to write home about. They all were very arcadey compared to other racers at the time, JUST as Criterion HP is today. The only real thing that's different is that you can definitely feel the weight difference in the cars, easy drift (its an arcade staple now), and a little floatier feel at high speeds.

The only thing that i can think of is that some of you (and others on some other boards) are actually referring to the Underground series as "Classic/Original" NFS and if your thinking from that incorrect standpoint, then yes I can see how one could be disappointed.

Sir Tristan
10-31-2010, 06:42 AM
i just don't understand some of your complaints guys? You say that you want the old NFS back and that jazz, but here it is, right in front of our faces. This is as close as they will EVER get back to NFS's roots. They aren't going to make a carbon copy of NFS:HS with prettier graphics, ever, because they know it wont have the mass appeal. We have high powered Exotics, Twisty Country Roads, COPS, and multi-player cop chases. THIS IS NFS AS WE ONCE KNEW IT. Criterion brought us our baby back and you guys are STILL butthurt over it?

If you're complaining about the physics, well II, III:HP, and HP2 were nothing to write home about. They all were very arcadey compared to other racers at the time, JUST as Criterion HP is today. The only real thing that's different is that you can definitely feel the weight difference in the cars, easy drift (its an arcade staple now), and a little floatier feel at high speeds.

The only thing that i can think of is that some of you (and others on some other boards) are actually referring to the Underground series as "Classic/Original" NFS and if your thinking from that incorrect standpoint, then yes I can see how one could be disappointed.

Seconded on all grounds. Every word is the truth.

GreedyTurbo529
10-31-2010, 07:35 AM

The prophet has spoken.

Dont understand the complaints? Ill sum it up for you: People always have to be *****ing about something. You go left, they say go right. You go right, they call you stupid and say go left. EA could make a 'carbon copy of NFS:HS with prettier graphics' but people would ***** about that too. Same thing if they made Underground 3. All things considered, most people are flat out annoying little pricks that have to complain about everything, no matter what it is. Probably because it makes them feel 'better' than others. Like they could have made a better NFS or something. Kids these days...

Im not one to get into these useless online debates with retards, and no doubt some one will quote a sentence and bash me about my spelling or something else ridiculous. This is the last Ill speak of it.

Sir Tristan
10-31-2010, 07:48 AM
When people have little to ***** about, they get too creative. Just enjoy it.

Sinister
10-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Doesn't matter what game is created, it will always be complained about by one crowd or another.

There is never pleasing everyone.

Hawk
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
X = brakes
not something hard to figure out :Facepalm:

anyway, loving the game also. Imo, driving is nothing like burnout. Specially since its easy to snap out of a drift once it's started. Also, cars weight is very noticeable when taking turns.

Well when I need to initiate the drift, I was using LT (Left Trigger) to do so. So, save your facepalm for somebody else. I know how to play a videogame or two.

... We have high powered Exotics, Twisty Country Roads, COPS, and multi-player cop chases. THIS IS NFS AS WE ONCE KNEW IT. Criterion brought us our baby back and you guys are STILL butthurt over it?

He's right, this is the the best effort we have seen from EA regarding Need for Speed in a LONG TIME (Most Wanted for me). This is the NFS we have been waiting for, and Criterion behind has done a lot to recapture the NFSIII and High Stakes. So buy it, and enjoy it. Or don't, it's your money.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I am happy with what this game offers as a demo and will buy the full game. It has hit all the right notes for me.

Double Mac
10-31-2010, 11:02 AM
This game from Criterion does not impress me. I just do not like it, prorbably because I am more into the concept of the old school NFS.

I think I know exactly what you mean! :D

i just don't understand some of your complaints guys? You say that you want the old NFS back and that jazz, but here it is, right in front of our faces.

It is? All I see is a title which might boast a selection of exotic cars, an exclusively rural environment and the ability to play as a cop on the surface but whose gameplay seems to revolve around earning boost UG2 / BP-style while encouraging opponent annihilation and power-up usage without much room left for the more technical and traditionally competitive racing of old. To help you understand my disappointment a little more thoroughly though, I’ll gladly offer some specific complaints:

1. Where are the circuit races? Why ditch such a traditional and desirable format altogether?
2. All the classic NFS games featured tournaments (PU & HP2 even offered cup editors). Why force the player to suffer from the limitation of having to win every single event much like the Black Box titles did?
3. If I (indeed) lose an event, will I at least find some consolation in watching a replay of my performance? How about saving it for later viewing?
4. Whatever happened to quick race mode? Let’s say I want to challenge 5 higher-class opponents in a lower-class car with no traffic and no boost. In the rain, if possible. Will I be able to do it?
5. How advanced is performance-tuning (a feature present in most of the classic titles) in this game? Can I play with the gear ratios, for example, in order to adapt my car to one of those ‘twisty country roads’ you mentioned? Oh, wait… it looks like…
6. … the roads aren’t even that twisty! I can now safely say that I’ve seen a good 80% of what the environment has to offer and those few (disappointingly stretched-out and wide) turns can’t possibly compare to something like Mystic Peaks (or even North Country), Country Woods or, ironically enough, UG2’s Jackson Heights (which is an area that does require strictly technical driving – something that Seacrest County seemingly won’t have at all).
7. Speaking of the environment, the game was made by the team responsible for BP and it apparently offers no air-catching potential whatsoever?! Outback, Mediterraneo, Rocky Pass / Summit, Country Woods, Celtic Ruins, Kindiak Park, Normandie, Zone Industrielle all had a fair share of bumps, didn’t they? The elevation changes on the whole don’t seem to be particularly drastic either (which, especially given the ‘mountainous’ region, feels like yet another wasted opportunity). (Think of the wild descent down Summit’s tunnel for reference or, again, Mediterraneo.)
8. Why pretend that classic NFS was all about rural areas? Ever heard of the segmented City track in the very first game? How about Transtropolis, Outback, Pacific Spirit, Atlantica / Aquatica, Empire City and the Palm City Island courses? Why not put something akin to Rosewood (a small picturesque town with a satisfyingly complex network of roads and backstreets) smack in the middle of the map to make the free-roam (however laughably implemented it might be), well, make sense?
9. Starting from HP1 I could choose one of the preset factory colors for my car but I also had the freedom to pick a custom option. Will I have that freedom now? On top of that, I don’t think that ditching visual customization altogether is such a brilliant idea. Even PU allowed you to use custom parts (rims, spoilers, tops) for certain models. What if I hate big rims, for instance (which I do)? Why can’t I have them in a more palatable 14” flavor? (On top of that, this particular decision will alienate a number of players who are used to the freedom of making their in-game cars a tad more ‘personal’ but that’s not exactly my problem.)
10. No interior cam? Especially after its reintroduction in Shift? (And I don’t care that we’re talking 2 different developers here – NFS fans entertained certain expectations after Shift and those expectations have now been messed with.) Really, this feels less and less like a serious racing game. Heck, even the forthcoming Driver: SF (which doesn’t even advertize itself as a racing title to begin with) will offer that feature!
11. No manual transmission? ‘Because you don’t wanna think about grinding gears while trying to shake off the cops’ or something like that? That’s why all the pursuit-oriented Black Box titles didn’t have that option either, right?
12. Will I be able to bust racers by executing a PIT maneuver and blocking them? Or do I have to play Carmageddon with them?
13. Will I have the option of disabling any in-game cutscenes (‘roadblock detected’, crashes) and prompts (press ‘f*** you’ for middle finger activation, ‘666 miles to the finish’) as all they do is spoil my enjoyment of a given event or is it gonna be as hopelessly frustrating as BP was? How about the silly race position icons hovering over opponents’ cars?
14. Will I be able to disable any Autolog / Speedwall prompts altogether as I’m not interested in this sort of ‘forced motivation’ leading to a vicious circle of pointless time-beating (I mean, c’mon, no-one’s gonna beat our resident CHAMP anyway – an average person’s time: 3 minutes; Oliver’s time: 25 seconds) in order to at least fool myself into believing I’m playing a good ol’ offline single player racing game?

That’s about it. I hope you’re less confused now.

This is as close as they will EVER get back to NFS's roots.

On the basis of the points I’ve enumerated above I’d say it’s not close at all. If you think otherwise, that simply seems to imply that EA and their current developers of choice are not even trying.

They aren't going to make a carbon copy of NFS:HS with prettier graphics, ever, because they know it wont have the mass appeal.

I’m not opposed to change. I love free-roam and I love vehicle customization (Carbon offered amazing options for classic muscle cars, for instance). But the former should be thoughtfully implemented (think UG2 with its fantastic outrun feature and MW / Carbon with their intense pursuits; a combination of both would be perfect) and the amount of the latter should be ‘censored’ by the player (which could be easily attained via an opponent selection & customization menu with a handy ‘reset to stock’ button and a ‘save setup for later use’ option).

If it really is so damn vital to have ‘boost’ and, uhm, aggressive driving in a modern-day racing game, there should at least be options to customize the gameplay in a variety of ways in order to attract more ‘classically-minded’ players. You should be able to define whether you want to be penalized or rewarded for smashing into your opponents for example. You should also have the option to be penalized for using ‘boost’ in the first place. The same goes for shortcuts – I mean, why be rewarded for ‘discovering’ them when what you do amounts to cheating or chickening out? There could be a simple switch alternating between single-shot and rechargeable nitrous. More interestingly, you could set certain parameters for a given race which would result in a failed event if, for example, you exceeded the self-imposed drift / powerslide points limit (forcing you to take corners in a traditional fashion) and hit the track boundaries one too many times (forcing you to race clean).

But all that (which, I imagine, shouldn’t be terribly hard to implement) has apparently never occurred to Criterion.

Oh yeah… and Seacrest County must be one of the least inspiring and most free-roam-hostile environments in recent memory. :) It might be visually appealing but complex it is not. And that’s always a minus for any game with open-world pretensions.

We have high powered Exotics, Twisty Country Roads, COPS, and multi-player cop chases. THIS IS NFS AS WE ONCE KNEW IT. Criterion brought us our baby back and you guys are STILL butthurt over it?

Again, exotic cars and exclusively rural environments do not define something like HS for me. Even if I use classic muscle cars and urban tracks in that title, the gameplay stays the same. Which is pleasantly flexible. And the cop events are pretty incidental – I can do them if I’m so inclined but they feel reassuringly optional.

Funny. Because, according to Matt Webster, ‘we all loved the original because it was such an important game in the grand scheme of things, but I think our real favorite was Most Wanted.’ (Source (http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/216431/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/).) Well, given that MW is practically and Underground title with cop derby, exotics, the most idiotic N2O-recharging system ever, more limited customization, no replays and a focus on single race events, this makes a lot sense to me, as the new HP, in turn, seems like MW with fewer cops to play derby with, more exotics, UG2-style N2O recharging system, no customization, no replays and a focus on single race events (with more than just a touch of Facebook to boot).

CVPI19
10-31-2010, 12:10 PM
This is exactly my issue with what has been shown to us so far. They picked the wrong NFS to model their game after. Helicopters dropping spike strips remind me of the ridiculous bomb-dropping helicopter in HP2, which was (at least on PC) the worst of the classic NFS games and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other classic games.

Helicopters dropped spike belts in the Playstation 2 version of Hot Pursuit 2 in barrels after they hit the road and plus the car deploying spike belts reminds me of the PC version of High Stakes.

Sir Tristan
10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
@Double Mac. It seems we have a very different impression of what classic NFS is.

For me, it's either breakneck action and 'obscure' cars as seen in NFS3 (the breakneck adrenaline was also in NFSU, but that's obviously not classic), or covering ground in beautiful cars with a cheeky twist and occasional tense moments - á la HP2.
For you, it's replays, tournaments, gameplay flexibility.
In other words, for me it's what I see, for you is what you feel. That is fine.

But please accept (or forgive me for) the notion of me liking the atmosphere specifically, and finding gameplay nuances entirely forgettable.

Now don't get me wrong. If you ever seen any of my Dream NFS posts, they would certainly suit you if they were made. I do want a couple freeroam environments. I do want switchable arcade, chaotic carnage/realistic, detailed action. I do want interior. I do want tournaments, and changing everything. I also want a thing you do, that was not in any NFS before. Customizing the race grid of course. I want to choose and customize all cars personally. This will not happen.

3ni_2nr
10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
@ DM, although you recognized my attempts to defend Criterion's efforts, I do so in a manner of planning to enjoy Burnout Paradise 2, being released Nov. 16th, which features licensed cars.

Your post is exactly the abstract thoughts floating around in my mind about what I enjoyed in NFS3, HS and HP2. A lot of these core elements are not present in our new NFS because it is not a new NFS. It's what Burnout should have been all along which is why I will enjoy it so much.

I maintain my opinion that if you take away the cosmetic surgery, dress up player shit from TDU, its what a new NFS should be. If necessary, I can clarify on this opinion some more.

340SixPack
10-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Burnout Paradise 2, being released Nov. 16th, which features licensed cars.

Haha, that's pretty much what it is.

NFSHSforever
11-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I think I know exactly what you mean! :D

It is? All I see is a title which might boast a selection of exotic cars, an exclusively rural environment and the ability to play as a cop on the surface but whose gameplay seems to revolve around earning boost UG2 / BP-style while encouraging opponent annihilation and power-up usage without much room left for the more technical and traditionally competitive racing of old. To help you understand my disappointment a little more thoroughly though, I’ll gladly offer some specific complaints:

1. Where are the circuit races? Why ditch such a traditional and desirable format altogether?
2. All the classic NFS games featured tournaments (PU & HP2 even offered cup editors). Why force the player to suffer from the limitation of having to win every single event much like the Black Box titles did?
3. If I (indeed) lose an event, will I at least find some consolation in watching a replay of my performance? How about saving it for later viewing?
4. Whatever happened to quick race mode? Let’s say I want to challenge 5 higher-class opponents in a lower-class car with no traffic and no boost. In the rain, if possible. Will I be able to do it?
5. How advanced is performance-tuning (a feature present in most of the classic titles) in this game? Can I play with the gear ratios, for example, in order to adapt my car to one of those ‘twisty country roads’ you mentioned? Oh, wait… it looks like…
6. … the roads aren’t even that twisty! I can now safely say that I’ve seen a good 80% of what the environment has to offer and those few (disappointingly stretched-out and wide) turns can’t possibly compare to something like Mystic Peaks (or even North Country), Country Woods or, ironically enough, UG2’s Jackson Heights (which is an area that does require strictly technical driving – something that Seacrest County seemingly won’t have at all).
7. Speaking of the environment, the game was made by the team responsible for BP and it apparently offers no air-catching potential whatsoever?! Outback, Mediterraneo, Rocky Pass / Summit, Country Woods, Celtic Ruins, Kindiak Park, Normandie, Zone Industrielle all had a fair share of bumps, didn’t they? The elevation changes on the whole don’t seem to be particularly drastic either (which, especially given the ‘mountainous’ region, feels like yet another wasted opportunity). (Think of the wild descent down Summit’s tunnel for reference or, again, Mediterraneo.)
8. Why pretend that classic NFS was all about rural areas? Ever heard of the segmented City track in the very first game? How about Transtropolis, Outback, Pacific Spirit, Atlantica / Aquatica, Empire City and the Palm City Island courses? Why not put something akin to Rosewood (a small picturesque town with a satisfyingly complex network of roads and backstreets) smack in the middle of the map to make the free-roam (however laughably implemented it might be), well, make sense?
9. Starting from HP1 I could choose one of the preset factory colors for my car but I also had the freedom to pick a custom option. Will I have that freedom now? On top of that, I don’t think that ditching visual customization altogether is such a brilliant idea. Even PU allowed you to use custom parts (rims, spoilers, tops) for certain models. What if I hate big rims, for instance (which I do)? Why can’t I have them in a more palatable 14” flavor? (On top of that, this particular decision will alienate a number of players who are used to the freedom of making their in-game cars a tad more ‘personal’ but that’s not exactly my problem.)
10. No interior cam? Especially after its reintroduction in Shift? (And I don’t care that we’re talking 2 different developers here – NFS fans entertained certain expectations after Shift and those expectations have now been messed with.) Really, this feels less and less like a serious racing game. Heck, even the forthcoming Driver: SF (which doesn’t even advertize itself as a racing title to begin with) will offer that feature!
11. No manual transmission? ‘Because you don’t wanna think about grinding gears while trying to shake off the cops’ or something like that? That’s why all the pursuit-oriented Black Box titles didn’t have that option either, right?
12. Will I be able to bust racers by executing a PIT maneuver and blocking them? Or do I have to play Carmageddon with them?
13. Will I have the option of disabling any in-game cutscenes (‘roadblock detected’, crashes) and prompts (press ‘f*** you’ for middle finger activation, ‘666 miles to the finish’) as all they do is spoil my enjoyment of a given event or is it gonna be as hopelessly frustrating as BP was? How about the silly race position icons hovering over opponents’ cars?
14. Will I be able to disable any Autolog / Speedwall prompts altogether as I’m not interested in this sort of ‘forced motivation’ leading to a vicious circle of pointless time-beating (I mean, c’mon, no-one’s gonna beat our resident CHAMP anyway – an average person’s time: 3 minutes; Oliver’s time: 25 seconds) in order to at least fool myself into believing I’m playing a good ol’ offline single player racing game?

That’s about it. I hope you’re less confused now.

On the basis of the points I’ve enumerated above I’d say it’s not close at all. If you think otherwise, that simply seems to imply that EA and their current developers of choice are not even trying.

I’m not opposed to change. I love free-roam and I love vehicle customization (Carbon offered amazing options for classic muscle cars, for instance). But the former should be thoughtfully implemented (think UG2 with its fantastic outrun feature and MW / Carbon with their intense pursuits; a combination of both would be perfect) and the amount of the latter should be ‘censored’ by the player (which could be easily attained via an opponent selection & customization menu with a handy ‘reset to stock’ button and a ‘save setup for later use’ option).

If it really is so damn vital to have ‘boost’ and, uhm, aggressive driving in a modern-day racing game, there should at least be options to customize the gameplay in a variety of ways in order to attract more ‘classically-minded’ players. You should be able to define whether you want to be penalized or rewarded for smashing into your opponents for example. You should also have the option to be penalized for using ‘boost’ in the first place. The same goes for shortcuts – I mean, why be rewarded for ‘discovering’ them when what you do amounts to cheating or chickening out? There could be a simple switch alternating between single-shot and rechargeable nitrous. More interestingly, you could set certain parameters for a given race which would result in a failed event if, for example, you exceeded the self-imposed drift / powerslide points limit (forcing you to take corners in a traditional fashion) and hit the track boundaries one too many times (forcing you to race clean).

But all that (which, I imagine, shouldn’t be terribly hard to implement) has apparently never occurred to Criterion.

Oh yeah… and Seacrest County must be one of the least inspiring and most free-roam-hostile environments in recent memory. :) It might be visually appealing but complex it is not. And that’s always a minus for any game with open-world pretensions.

Again, exotic cars and exclusively rural environments do not define something like HS for me. Even if I use classic muscle cars and urban tracks in that title, the gameplay stays the same. Which is pleasantly flexible. And the cop events are pretty incidental – I can do them if I’m so inclined but they feel reassuringly optional.

Funny. Because, according to Matt Webster, ‘we all loved the original because it was such an important game in the grand scheme of things, but I think our real favorite was Most Wanted.’ (Source (http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/216431/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit/).) Well, given that MW is practically and Underground title with cop derby, exotics, the most idiotic N2O-recharging system ever, more limited customization, no replays and a focus on single race events, this makes a lot sense to me, as the new HP, in turn, seems like MW with fewer cops to play derby with, more exotics, UG2-style N2O recharging system, no customization, no replays and a focus on single race events (with more than just a touch of Facebook to boot).

Couldn't have said it better myself! Like someone said, they picked the wrong NFS to model this game to. This new game is a mash-up of Most Wanted and HP2.. HP2 was the worst of the classics (no interior, no day/night, no weather) and MW was just brainless action with BOOST and hipster characters

Nuts4Ford
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
@Double Mac

wow, nitpicky much? NFS is an arcade racer will be always be one at heart. What your asking for is a Forza/Gran Turismo/Hot Pursuit Hybrid.

When you get down to it, NFS was about fast cars, non-race track courses (is that a better term for you? even though we've only gotten to play 2 tracks which I've been told are from very early on in the game so who's to say that there are courses with MUCH tighter cornering as the game progresses? Oh you thats right), and cops. Thats it, thats the formula you need right there to create a classic NFS game. Everything else you mentioned is just is just being straight up nitpicky.

Maybe one day someone will create your dream Forza/GT/HP hybrid game but until then, the rest of us who grew up playing TNFS and up will enjoy our Need For Speed back to what it should have been all along.

Sir Tristan
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
@Double Mac

wow, nitpicky much? NFS is an arcade racer will be always be one at heart. What your asking for is a Forza/Gran Turismo/Hot Pursuit Hybrid.

When you get down to it, NFS was about fast cars, non-race track courses (is that a better term for you? even though we've only gotten to play 2 tracks which I've been told are from very early on in the game so who's to say that there are courses with MUCH tighter cornering as the game progresses? Oh you thats right), and cops. Thats it, thats the formula you need right there to create a classic NFS game. Everything else you mentioned is just is just being straight up nitpicky.

Maybe one day someone will create your dream Forza/GT/HP hybrid game but until then, the rest of us who grew up playing TNFS and up will enjoy our Need For Speed back to what it should have been all along.

My ****ing hero.

Allure
11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
ROFL.

Double Mac is probably one of the few select persons in this site that knows what classic NFS means, and that's nowhere the Forza/GT/HP hybrid bizarre hypothesis N4F is bringing up. The new HP has turned into smash the cop/racer instead of the basic concept of winning races, viewing your spectacular car in every angle take down other cars in tight chicanes, rainy weather - the jizz-in-my-pants effect of driving a Countach LP400 versus 5 superior cars in that slippery track, taking them down with a more inferior machine etcetera, etcetera - as I don't want to repeat DM.

However, the skewed view on what back-to-the-roots means that some (fortunately just a few) NFS fans have, is OK with me.

GreedyTurbo529
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
If someone types a post that requires people to hit their scroll button 5 times, that person needs a life, and to STFU.

... not that Im referring to anyone here or anything...

@Double Mac

This man speaks truth.

Nuts4Ford
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
ROFL.

Double Mac is probably one of the few select persons in this site that knows what classic NFS means...

really? you're serious about that? You pretty much just put down a good portion of the NFS fansites right there, especially the veterans...

viewing your spectacular car in every angle take down other cars in tight chicanes, rainy weather - the jizz-in-my-pants effect of driving a Countach LP400 versus 5 superior cars in that slippery track, taking them down with a more inferior machine etcetera, etcetera

Project Gotham Racing would like to have a word with you.

Kracka
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
So you're telling me, that someone that joined the NFS Community in 2008 knows more about the classic NFS games than those of us who have been around since 98-99?

AJ_Lethal
11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
DM thinks that classic NFS is a bunch of features.

Dude, NFS is more than the sum of its parts.

3ni_2nr
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Nope, not really AJ. Need for Speed has just rotted to a mere brand. Its just slapped on random products now to get them to sell. Like Ferrari. >_>

KF72
11-01-2010, 09:45 PM
I think HP is more NFS2 that HS or HP. More open road and more elusive cars. Obviously though, the inclusion of cops.

Nuts4Ford
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Nope, not really AJ. Need for Speed has just rotted to a mere brand. Its just slapped on random products now to get them to sell. Like Ferrari. >_>

It's been a brand since the first sequel...

Zpectre
11-01-2010, 10:42 PM
So you're telling me, that someone that joined the NFS Community in 2008 knows more about the classic NFS games than those of us who have been around since 98-99?

I play NFS since the days of NFS2SE and I fully agree with DM.

nfslover101
11-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Anyone know of any more updates as of recent? I don't really think there is much more to cover on the game, seeing just about all the cars have been revealed (except maybe 1 or 2). Really hoping to get it before my birthday, should be here by then I hope.

EDIT: I think people will always have what they think a "true" NFS is, and it will always vary by person, your either going to like what you get, or your going to hate it...and if you hate it, move on to something else, and if you like it, enjoy it.

Sinister
11-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Not really an update, but last night I had finally succeeded in topping my autolog speedwall with a pursuit time of 1:00.83. Again, Criterion did well utilizing the system to create competition between friends.

Allure
11-02-2010, 05:55 AM
really? you're serious about that? You pretty much just put down a good portion of the NFS fansites right there, especially the veterans...

Quite serious in fact. Also, you should read more carefully. I said, DM, is one of the few select persons in this site, not of all NFS sites.

Project Gotham Racing would like to have a word with you.

PGR can go shove a shovel up its ***. I'm talking exclusively about Need for Speed. It can be made the way it was with today's gaming technology. PGR has no relation whatsoever with what DM and I are talking about or to what the Need for Speed concept is and represents.

Sinister
11-02-2010, 07:06 AM
If NFS2 was remade exactly as a clone with the newest technology, I think it would be just as fun. However the ADD generation would hate the game because it's not "Underground 3", with no cops and no customization.

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Quite serious in fact. Also, you should read more carefully. I said, DM, is one of the few select persons in this site, not of all NFS sites.
Thing is a lot of the people you are trashing here, are also frequent visitors of various other NFS sites so by putting them down here, you are essentially saying so as a whole. And I read just fine thank you :)

PGR can go shove a shovel up its ***. I'm talking exclusively about Need for Speed. It can be made the way it was with today's gaming technology. PGR has no relation whatsoever with what DM and I are talking about or to what the Need for Speed concept is and represents.

Funny, cause it's exactly what you wanted with exactly what you stated...

Not really an update, but last night I had finally succeeded in topping my autolog speedwall with a pursuit time of 1:00.83. Again, Criterion did well utilizing the system to create competition between friends.

I'd say so. It's working perfectly. Now go beat my roadster time ;P

Allure
11-02-2010, 07:15 AM
If NFS2 was remade exactly as a clone with the newest technology, I think it would be just as fun. However the ADD generation would hate the game because it's not "Underground 3", with no cops and no customization.

As far as I know, Black Box is still active as It has a title which will blow off the doors of the category, of which is the action-paced underground-themed games. I'm glad they are working in categories, trying to please everyone, just like Shift 2 is the upcoming simulation-themed title for simulation racing fans.

They can bring back the old style with new technology without having to force It to every genre of the NFS fanship.

Thing is a lot of the people you are trashing here, are also frequent visitors of various other NFS sites so by putting them down here, you are essentially saying so as a whole. And I read just fine thank you :)

I'm trashing none, on the contrary, I'm just saying that pseudo-back-to-the-roots fans from the real ones should be differentiated, at least. :)

Funny, cause it's exactly what you wanted with exactly what you stated...

Dunno, last time I saw that, was in a NFS title back then when PGR didn't exist. :)

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm trashing none, on the contrary, I'm just saying that pseudo-back-to-the-roots fans from the real ones should be differentiated, at least. :)
so your saying that your "psuedo back to the roots" wishes should be differentiated from our real old school NFS? Fine by me :)

Dunno, last time I saw that, was in a NFS title back then when PGR didn't exist. :)

hmm...

viewing your spectacular car in every angle take down other cars in tight chicanes, rainy weather - the jizz-in-my-pants effect of driving a Countach LP400 versus 5 superior cars in that slippery track, taking them down with a more inferior machine etcetera, etcetera

Sounds a LOT like PGR 4...

Allure
11-02-2010, 07:23 AM
so your saying that your "psuedo back to the roots" wishes should be differentiated from our real old school NFS? Fine by me :)

Your wishes are not even close to what the real NFS was.

Sounds a LOT like PGR 4...

I've never even played that game in my life. What do you say about that? :)

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 08:16 AM
lol, and yours are? bull and you know it. Again, you guys are being so damn nitpicky. There are games out there that satisfy your needs, you just refuse to play them because they don't have NFS in the title. Way to go champs.

I've never even played that game in my life. What do you say about that? :)
then you obviously do not know what you want lol

Allure
11-02-2010, 08:36 AM
lol, and yours are? bull and you know it. Again, you guys are being so damn nitpicky. There are games out there that satisfy your needs, you just refuse to play them because they don't have NFS in the title. Way to go champs.

There are indeed games out there that satisfy our needs (GT5/TDU2). Where on earth It was stated that we refuse to like games sans the NFS title?

then you obviously do not know what you want lol

How not playing a game ever affects what I want and If I know what I want? On which logic you operate from?

I know exactly what I want. Don't persuade me to like something I will never accept as a Need for Speed, and that has been openly shown as something vulgar - a BP title with a NFS title slapped on It.

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 08:39 AM
well you keep complaining about this game being a NFS back to it's roots so it's obvious. They give us old school, then you try and change the deffinition after we get what was asked for for many years. So either you just like complaining or you don't know what you want.

Allure
11-02-2010, 08:46 AM
How can a NFS without circuits, with cars having weapons, with a generic and shallow map, laughable physics be something called back-to-the-roots?

maggit
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
True that. The 'back to the roots' slogan was just a PR move. The game has VERY little in common with oldschool NFS. I'd say its 'oldschoolness' is very shallow, being about exotic cars and pursuits. Oh, and scenery. Nothing else.

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 11:01 AM
How can a NFS without circuits, with cars having weapons, with a generic and shallow map, laughable physics be something called back-to-the-roots?
- Most of the tracks in TNFS were segmented. Actually I think the original 3DO version was ONLY segmented...
- Cops with Weapons? Hot Pursuit III had Spike Strips and Road Blocks
- The open world map comes from the later NFS games so it is something that was expected to be implemented
- Physics? Again, arcade racer, not simulation. All but TNFS and PU have had arcade physics and this one is no different.

So it sounds like they pulled from classic (and not so classic) NFS games and I'll state again that Cops, Twisty Roads, and Exotic cars are ALL they needed to bring the feel of the old school back.

PCG-UB
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
EDIT: I think people will always have what they think a "true" NFS is, and it will always vary by person, your either going to like what you get, or your going to hate it...and if you hate it, move on to something else, and if you like it, enjoy it.

Funny - I was thinking the exact same thing. If you have 10 different people who want NFS back-to-the-roots, you will have 10 different ideas of what that means.

Not to mention the lack of all things that help a racer win in spite of crashing horrendously every 10 seconds (nitrous, power-ups etc.). How many people in this generation would ragequit if they were to play such a game?

KF72
11-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I haven't played the racer section, can you change the car color?

That is all the customization I need.

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 11:25 AM
yes you can, and they look like the factory colors for each model

Sir Tristan
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
It would be nice if you could change interior colour too - and maybe the wheels (TDU-style; optional).

Think about it, the new 911s have SO much options of interior colours, it's just a waste to have it in bleak old black.

KF72
11-02-2010, 11:48 AM
yes you can, and they look like the factory colors for each model

Is there the option of custom colors, like HP and HS?

R3DN3CK AsSaSs1N
11-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Is there the option of custom colors, like HP and HS?

*Peek*

Not that I see so far in the demo. Heaven knows what they have in the completed version.

GreedyTurbo529
11-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Now go beat my roadster time ;P

I just did

and I got more to give if you want to try and beat my time :P Im just getting warmed up.

Allure
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
- Cops with Weapons? Hot Pursuit III had Spike Strips and Road Blocks

Cops with weapons is nothing new. Racers with weapons is nothing back-to-the-roots.

- The open world map comes from the later NFS games so it is something that was expected to be implemented

It is badly executed. Twisty roads, so few.

- Physics? Again, arcade racer, not simulation. All but TNFS and PU have had arcade physics and this one is no different.

These ones are quite degraded.

So it sounds like they pulled from classic (and not so classic) NFS games and I'll state again that Cops, Twisty Roads, and Exotic cars are ALL they needed to bring the feel of the old school back.

Not at all.

Nuts4Ford
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I just did

and I got more to give if you want to try and beat my time :P Im just getting warmed up.

lol im going to have to check what your time was cause I left a little bit on the table but not much haha

Hawk
11-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Can anyone admit that this is just the best NFS to come in a LONG time (outside of Shift because it's different in many ways)? I think it's going to be better than Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, and Carbon easily. Even though UG1 and 2 had different mechanics and wasn't about the cops aspect.

A good NFS has been wanted for a long time, and we will have it.

GreedyTurbo529
11-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Ill drink to that, except for the Shift part.

nfslover101
11-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Ill drink to that, except for the Shift part.

Cheers! Should be a grand time!

Zpectre
11-02-2010, 10:59 PM
It would be nice if you could change interior colour too - and maybe the wheels (TDU-style; optional).

We had that back in ****ing HS, but new devs (except for Atari/Eden) don't like paying much attention to detail.

Can anyone admit that this is just the best NFS to come in a LONG time (outside of Shift because it's different in many ways)? I think it's going to be better than Underground, Underground 2, Most Wanted, and Carbon easily. Even though UG1 and 2 had different mechanics and wasn't about the cops aspect.

A good NFS has been wanted for a long time, and we will have it.

I'll only admit it when I play it. Even then, it may turn out to be a fun game, but branding it as an NFS feels wrong IMO. It's as distant from the classics as Underground or Most Wanted.

BTW, ricing aside, Underground 2 and Most Wanted were both very good games.

Sir Tristan
11-03-2010, 08:16 AM

I think, Ricing aside, Underground 1 was the best NFS until Shift.

Allure
11-03-2010, 09:05 AM

Indeed.

rafal345
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I've liked this demo since first minutes of playing. It's got great, stunning physics and nice graphics. I like it.

Japanfanatic
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
This is the best Need for Speed Game since NFS: Porsche Unleashed. Period.

Only thing I'm really missing is Splitscreen.

Sir Tristan
11-05-2010, 09:44 AM
This is the best Need for Speed Game since NFS: Porsche Unleashed. Period.

Only thing I'm really missing is Splitscreen.

Lies.

It's the best NFS since, well... Shift. That's last year, and that was the best NFS since Porsche 2000.

Now I guess it's the best 'renegade-focused' NFS since HP2.

Japanfanatic
11-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Lies.

It's the best NFS since, well... Shift. That's last year, and that was the best NFS since Porsche 2000.

Now I guess it's the best 'renegade-focused' NFS since HP2.

Didn't I say "period"?

I did.

Best NFS since Porsche. Period.

Allure
11-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Didn't I say "period"?

I did.

Best Burnout. Period.

This man speaks the truth.

3ni_2nr
11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
lolcwutudiddere.

Nuts4Ford
11-05-2010, 03:29 PM
This man speaks the truth.

Just can't let it go that people actually like the old school :rolleyes:

Allure
11-05-2010, 04:14 PM

You just can't get that you have a distorted idea of what old school means. Just die or something.

Nuts4Ford
11-05-2010, 06:12 PM
You're the one that keeps bringing it up. We were all doing fine until you brought your negative view of old school back. Why not just go troll some of the other forums and complain about people actually having fun playing games online or something?

GreedyTurbo529
11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
You could just, you know, ignore him like everyone else is doing.

Zpectre
11-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Old school what? Burnout?

GreedyTurbo529
11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Dont do it Nuts...

Moby45
11-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Demo seemed fine to me. Its changed since HP2 but it still has the same feel in a way.

I like the open world idea with HP easter eggs in there.

I don't like that everything gets weapons...just the cops should have the "weapons" and that's it.

Handling is the same as old NFS titles with a bit of burnout physics added into the mix. No manual gears kind of sucks but its tolerable.

I don't really care that there are no cockpit views as no game in the history of gaming has ever gotten the peripheral vision view correctly without having to use more than 1 monitor.(and we didn't have cockpit views in HP and HP2)

So far games looks good. Hopefully it is good and not a waste of moneys.

appollo four fourty
11-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Either way I look at it, this is THE cops and robbers game that I wanted to play with my buddies online. Period.