View Full Version : PC version DRM

dchalfont
10-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Sorry for yet another PC thread....but I don't believe this question has been asked and I can;t find the answer to it anywhere. I have seen the official specs but had to wonder whether the DRM requirement was purposely omitted until the last second as so often happens...

So can anyone confirm or deny, preferably with some kind of link, that the game does or does not have DRM so I can pre-order this sexy looking game.

P.S

By DRM I mean any online requirement to play the game, including steam integration into the retail game.

Mr. Sting Ray
10-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Why would you not want Steam?

paytonlow
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I would say you may need to activate the game online with EA account, like they did with NFS: Shift.
EA this time is heavily pushing the online content of the game, you might miss out some gameplay content if only play offline.

dchalfont
10-28-2010, 09:37 PM
@paytonlow

I see, will have to wait post launch to find out then, don't want to be limited to the campaign only if they are shoehorning all the stand alone game modes into online only play.

@Mr. Sting Ray

Because I have 512k variable speed wireless with a 6gig/month cap...and because auto-updates suck, and because you have to register the game online, which is no better than any other DRM method...and because I have yet to find a single example of a game being cheaper on stead than I can get the physical copy ordered online.

HSVrules
10-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Why would you not want Steam?

Theres no problem with steam. But im opposed to games that specifically require to be played on Steam when they arnt made by valve. games like FEAR 2 or Saints Row 2. They're 3rd party games. Its fair enough to sell them through the platform. But to MAKE us have to use it just to play those games. Thats not exactly fair.

means we gotta be online to play even offline games.

FOX
10-29-2010, 02:42 AM
I still find Steam a lesser evil [if it can be called such] than dealing with goddamn securom activation every time you want to re/un/install the game. Already used 4 activations and want to install a game on a brand new desktop you just bought? Haha no. Sorry but you need to give them a call for you to be able to play a game that you paid for.
The above leads to piracy [somewhat], and piracy leads to PCs being left out on most game stuff like DLC etc.
We love to oppose great corporations and they love to spite us but we're not the ones who lose the most...

Mr. Sting Ray
10-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Theres no problem with steam. But im opposed to games that specifically require to be played on Steam when they arnt made by valve. games like FEAR 2 or Saints Row 2. They're 3rd party games. Its fair enough to sell them through the platform. But to MAKE us have to use it just to play those games. Thats not exactly fair.

means we gotta be online to play even offline games.

You do know that you can play your games in Steam, whilst having it in offline mode?