View Full Version : Free Roam confirmed - The Free Ride Mode

OZ
11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/free-drive-need-for/707282

Seems that we indeed have a open world structure. Unfortunately the video doesn't show anything as menu specifics or online methods (if they are) available. Either way, this is trully awesome (IMO)

Post your opinions.

NAMETYR
11-09-2010, 05:27 PM
This is really awesome indeed. I always liked free roam and the new Seacrest County only makes me want it even more.

FOX
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Seeing as there's a lot of Burnout Paradise mechanics and unrestricted free roam, 16th Nov will be a very busy day...

mortpenguin
11-10-2010, 03:41 AM
Free roam has already been confirmed some time ago, but what the GT review failed to mention was you will not be able to take part in any events or pursuits. Free roam is meant for your own leisurely driving pleasure, so you can take a few photos of your ride.

Japanfanatic
11-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Seacrest County looks so freakin nice...I'd like to spend my holidays there, doing some mtb'iking and stuff :-P Who wants to join me?:D

Too bad the track layout is so unchallenging...

Allure
11-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Free roam has already been confirmed some time ago, but what the GT review failed to mention was you will not be able to take part in any events or pursuits. Free roam is meant for your own leisurely driving pleasure, so you can take a few photos of your ride.

Bhahaha...

If that's the case, It's full of fail.

maggit
11-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Indeed.

CLR-AMG
11-10-2010, 05:17 AM
That's fail indeed, TDU has just one mode which is free-roam with all challenges available. You also actually had something to do with all those challenges. But if this is just free-roam as a very seperate thing (bit of time-trial, without the timer and without one specific route), that could get rather boring quickly.

Nuts4Ford
11-10-2010, 05:21 AM
yup game is full of fail and all those little things matter because the review scores have been so low because of them.
sarcasm obviously, but the reviews I've read have said that the flow of the game is much better that you dont have to traverse the whole world to get to a race or pursuit.

RedTwentyFour
11-10-2010, 05:24 AM
might be just me but i remember they said NO about this, i am happy that it comes true :)

2-Edge
11-10-2010, 05:46 AM
That's good news since IMO free roam is the only reason why I would buy arcade racing games.

Freak-DS
11-10-2010, 06:08 AM
might be just me but i remember they said NO about this, i am happy that it comes true :)

That's correct. Free roam is a nice thing, and remembering HP/HS, you could make single races without opponents but with traffic etc, which was more like a joyride on some specific track, so this free roam mode without events is one of the very few things that HP 2010 actually does better than HP from 1998.

APBOYZ
11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! it looks a bit like tdu 2 when it starts the car:P

SLZ Roadstar
11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Great thing that Free roam's there. But I would like to ask where is greenery? Except a few parts in the video, rest is desert like area. It seems like a mix of UG, C, UC, Roadrash & Burnout Paradise track locations.

nfslover101
11-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Theres actually quite a bit of greenery throughout the game, they must of shot the video in the desert/coastal areas. If I recall correctly, they said the free roam is for photos only, and your car won't take damage so you can take pictures. I would of enjoyed it if the above was true, but at least toss some cops here and there too.

HWBURNR
11-10-2010, 09:55 AM
this will be one of the coolest nfs ever

CVPI19
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
The airfield in the video reminds me of the airfield from the Outback track in the Playstation 2 version of Hot Pursuit 2 in fact parts of Sea Crest County reminds me of Dolphin Cove from High Stakes and Outback from Hot Pursuit 2 for the Playstation 2. Plus Hot Pursuit 2 had a challenge mode that was similar to NFS III and High Stakes' single race without opponents but you can add cops or not have them.

AJ_Lethal
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
cool...

sigh... i only have a wii.

Alexc12fr
11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Awesome.
Free roam is meant for your own leisurely driving pleasure, so you can take a few photos of your ride.
I hope not only that.

TruePro
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I would've enjoyed freeroam mode with a dash view much better.

Sir Tristan
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
That's correct. Free roam is a nice thing, and remembering HP/HS, you could make single races without opponents but with traffic etc, which was more like a joyride on some specific track, so this free roam mode without events is one of the very few things that HP 2010 actually does better than HP from 1998.

^Exactly. Absolutely true.

And Allure, on which planet is driving to a location classic NFS?

Double Mac
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
(…) On which planet is driving to a location classic NFS?

Where is ES saying that free-roam has anything to do with classic NFS? The issue here is that there’s seemingly f***-all to do in the so-called ‘open-world’ section of the game. No outruns, no spontaneous pursuits (much less both at the same time) and no need to practice your lines or, uhm, shortcut usage because the layout is so laughably straightforward (and that’s an understatement).

Apparently there’s the ‘interceptor’ mode where it’s just one racer vs one cop (who, I imagine, will be determined to EMP the hell out of you, as opposed to trying to outrun you in the hope of executing a block, for example) but 1) I haven’t even seen this mode confirmed for online use and 2) that doesn’t exactly justify Sullivan’s initial claim that the game is ‘completely open-world’ given how little there is to do.

BP, on the other hand, did completely revolve around its complex open-world environment in that, whatever you were doing, you were always in charge of the path you were about to take and that’s what free-roaming is all about and what justifies offering that aspect in a driving / racing game in the first place.

Sir Tristan
11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Where is ES saying that free-roam has anything to do with classic NFS?

ALLURE constantly alludes to this NFS' non-strictly-classic features to undermine its position. As do you. So, as a classic NFS, it shouldn't really have free roam.

It's a classic layout, only joined. All I ever wanted was for the tracks which shared segments to connect one day and have a blast through them. Why would I go through the pain in the *** of driving up to somewhere?

If you truly want this, find out where a race starts, then go to map, then start race. Then enjoy the feeling of 'yes, I drove there'.

Free roam is the only crash&burn-free mode here, the only serene drive you'll get, the only way you can appreciate those cars in their beauty like advertisements. Not so in races.

Remko
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Nice to see that you can go absolutely everywhere, it's as if they're inviting you to go looking for easter eggs... wouldn't surprise me if they'd put a few references in to the old games (like a sign that says "Redrock Rodge - 20 miles) :)
I also like it how you can move the camera around your car, hopefully you'll have as much control over this as in the Photo mode from the last few games.

It'll remain to be seen how much lasting appeal this game will have (if, like me, you hardly play online), but so far my impression is that of a game which is very exciting the first few hours/days that you play it, largely thanks to the spectacular scenery. After seeing this and the Welcome to Seacrest County video, the visuals certainly do impress, it looks even better than I expected when the game was announced some six months ago.

Allure
11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
ALLURE constantly alludes to this NFS' non-strictly-classic features to undermine its position. As do you. So, as a classic NFS, it shouldn't really have free roam.

What in the Ferdinand Porsche are you talking about? Do you need a guide, a map, are you lost?

The fallacy of this game being advertised as in 'back-to-the-roots' is all the problem. Of course, they need to revive Need for Speed and attract more fans from the losses of them with the ridiculously laughable titles from Black Box.

There's nothing strict. As a matter of fact, I want the back-to-the-roots feel with innovative, original ideas in an amalgamation which would benefit veteran and novice fans of the series alike. The current mash-up is only aesthetically attractive but lacks essence in all of its entirety. The features are shallow and the heavy focus they devoted to Autolog reflects that clearly.

Free roam is probably what missed in the past NFS titles, pre-Underground era dated, that could have delivered the best driving experience available. That's why, despite being built on a heavy MMO influence, TDU2 is the winner compared to this and a spiritual successor to what NFS really is.

It's a classic layout, only joined. All I ever wanted was for the tracks which shared segments to connect one day and have a blast through them. Why would I go through the pain in the *** of driving up to somewhere?

If you truly want this, find out where a race starts, then go to map, then start race. Then enjoy the feeling of 'yes, I drove there'.

Because driving up to somewhere makes It more fun and more realistic. While we're at It, let's make some challenges hidden throughout the map and let the player explore the map so he can get his lazy *** around the map, explore its beauty in great panoramic views but also give value to the fact you're driving to somewhere in the map and hoping that in the way there, you'll have the chance to encounter a group of people gathered in secrecy just to seek your chance in racing. It's an arcade game, yes, but that doesn't mean we should implement cartoon-like physics or notions.

This is the feeling of 'Yes, I drove there!'.

Free roam is the only crash&burn-free mode here, the only serene drive you'll get, the only way you can appreciate those cars in their beauty like advertisements. Not so in races.

You can do that on TDU2. Only that you just don't drive like an idiot in advertisements and take shots of your car, you also play challenges. Not to mention the redundancy you'll obtain after driving cars doing nothing, that in this NFS, of course.

_BLAHHEAD_
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
You can do that on TDU2. Only that you just don't drive like an idiot in advertisements and take shots of your car, you also play challenges. Not to mention the redundancy you'll obtain after driving cars doing nothing, that in this NFS, of course.

It seems you're forgetting that if you think free roam is boring, you can just quit and do a race. Nobody is forcing you to go and enjoy the scenery.

Zpectre
11-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Being able to free roam without caring for cops (biggest nuisance in MW, Carbon and Undercover) will be nice, but it'll get boring fast because there's no reason to roam around. You can't even simulate a cruise like in TDU because there's no dash view and you aren't driving online with your friends. They should've done it like the free roam in Burnout Paradise, except we should be able to select and enter events on the map (which wasn't possible in BP).

Then why don't you go play WR2 instead of annoying us with your daydreams whenever you get the chance? It has exactly that.

Nuts4Ford
11-10-2010, 08:17 PM
"I hate this game because it doesn't have all these miniscule features I believe make an NFS classic"
+
"I hate this game because there isn't a feature that is non-classic NFS"
=
doesn't know what they're talking about.

Can we get an option to ignore posts/threads from users or is there already a built in feature to the boards that I don't know about?

Allure
11-11-2010, 05:31 AM
It seems you're forgetting that if you think free roam is boring, you can just quit and do a race. Nobody is forcing you to go and enjoy the scenery.

With your logic, you can quit everything optional that gets redundant quite soon, and do something which gets redundant much later. If you implement such a feature, make It at least complete or make some options regarding free roam such as 'Photo Mode', in which you can damage the car but reset it upon hitting a certain button, has cop cars around in the map which means pursuits can be activated but can also be reseted just like the pursuit never happened. This mode would guarantee the best available angles and zooming options, even force the movement of the standstill ready-to-be-photographed scene with a few frames for the player's delight in capturing as many various screenshots from the loop.

The current free roam Criterion & Co are offering is incomplete. That's the whole issue.

Nuts4Ford
11-11-2010, 07:09 AM
no, thats just called EXTRA FEATURES.
Incomplete free roam would be cut off portions of the track that can't be accessed till DLC.

Allure
11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
What's the point in cruising around a huge straights-oriented map when you can't do nothing but just take shots. That's why I'm saying It's incomplete. It looks more like a free roam free of everything - no challenges, no outruns, no pursuits.

A complete free roam would have all those features included, WITH EXTRAS.

Nuts4Ford
11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
no, theres a reason it's called EXTRA. Complete free roam is exactly what it says FREE ROAM. You have freedom to roam around the city/town/tracks/whatever. Anything else is an extra.

I have a Turkey Sandwich. It's Bread and Turkey, just as the name says it is.

According to you, it's not a complete turkey sandwich until you put mustard, pickles, basil, beef broth cubes, rocks, spark plugs, a term paper, twigs, batteries, underpants, etc... (you get the point) and shouldn't even be considered as such.

No, it's still a complete GOD DAMN TURKEY SANDWICH.

Allure
11-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover - all of their career modes sported a free roam mode. It didn't say "free roam mode with extras", just free roam. Needless to mention what their free roam was composed of, as I assume you've played the games.

Nuts4Ford
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Career based free roam sounds an awful lot like deluxe turkey sandwich. All your extras added in. As for free roam, it's just that, free roaming just as a turkey sandwich is just a turkey sandwich.

Allure
11-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Career based free roam sounds an awful lot like deluxe turkey sandwich. All your extras added in. As for free roam, it's just that, free roaming just as a turkey sandwich is just a turkey sandwich.

Blah blah blah, turkey sandwich, more blah blah blah. It's not enough. Give us a complete free roam. This one is pure of fail. Period.

Sir Tristan
11-11-2010, 09:13 AM
"I hate this game because it doesn't have all these miniscule features I believe make an NFS classic"
+
=

Can we get an option to ignore posts/threads from users or is there already a built in feature to the boards that I don't know about?

Someone give this guy some damn awards. I couldn't have put it better. This post should have been the END of the 'argument'.

Then why don't you go play WR2 instead of annoying us with your daydreams whenever you get the chance? It has exactly that.

Worst hypocrisy in the world mate. Why don't you go play MW and HS interchangeably? Why not?

Also, I can't believe people are complaining about this game. Freeroam is an extra here, not a fundamental part of gameplay. Just a fun thing they did because they could. I think they should put in masses of easter eggs (dunno if that will happen).

Nuts4Ford
11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
easter eggs would be cool to find although if they do they aren't tied to achievements. the achievement list was released today.

and Allure, no NOT period because your skewed view of things is not right. I don't know how more clear i can make it but i guess when you cloud your mind and block any and all reason, we just can't help you.

Allure
11-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Not going to continue futile argumentations around people who buy shit so easily. Enjoy the game. I can obtain a copy for almost free of any game, so I will get a copy of this and try It at home. So far though, It has been a letdown. The way they're camouflaging the game's flaws with something they call 'back-to-the-roots' may be enough to buy some people, I need more and I mean quality instead of quantity.

Primus
11-11-2010, 10:37 AM

I wish, then I could just ignore your faggoty posts. All I've heard form you is, "FAP* omg nfs FAP* omg back to the roots FAP* FAP *FAP." We get it: you're in love with Hot Pursuit. When you're done, however, wishing for NFS-induced fellatio, try to see that there are other people on this planet with different tastes than you. Stop bashing people because their opinion of a great game differs from yours.

no, thats just called EXTRA FEATURES.
Incomplete free roam would be cut off portions of the track that can't be accessed till DLC.

What moronic logic. If a game dubbed itself a fighting game, but featured only the main character punching a turkey, would you call actual gameplay 'extra features' then? No one wants to roam around in a big-*** map and do nothing; it's going to get old really fast. You might as well punch a turkey.

Remember how awesome Undercover's Free Roam was? Hell, at least you could get into police chases...

and Allure, no NOT period because your skewed view of things is not right. I don't know how more clear i can make it but i guess when you cloud your mind and block any and all reason, we just can't help you.

Yeah, he's the one with the skewed view. When you're done jerking-off to NFS, come to your senses.

Nuts4Ford
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
-FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP Loving NFS! YAY!

-It's a fighting game is it not? One of the main characters punching a Turkey would be fighting YES!

-Yup, he's the one with the skewed view. I'm glad you can see it :)

nfslover101
11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover - all of their career modes sported a free roam mode. It didn't say "free roam mode with extras", just free roam. Needless to mention what their free roam was composed of, as I assume you've played the games.

None of these were even close to what I would call a classic NFS.

The way I look at it this is the closest were going to get. Much like the old NFS (Highstakes and the like), you weren't given a option to drive to a race, but you choose the race you wanted to (like how its set-up in 2010), cars are not customizable, but do have factory paint jobs. And the race environments do have some nostalgic value of reminding you of some of the old tracks. As for the photo-mode free-roam, its merely for pictures, and frankly, I am looking forward to taking pictures.

Hawk
11-11-2010, 01:58 PM
All I can say is, if you cant' actually play the old NFS games. Go back and look at "NEED FOR SPEED SE" and "NEED FOR SPEED 2 SE" on YouTube.

I think you'll find winks and nods at the old game, while updating it for 2010. Because sadly, it is not 1995 anymore.

OZ
11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
All I can say is, if you cant' actually play the old NFS games. Go back and look at "NEED FOR SPEED SE" and "NEED FOR SPEED 2 SE" on YouTube.

I think you'll find winks and nods at the old game, while updating it for 2010. Because sadly, it is not 1995 anymore.

this is what seems to me that people doesn't get it. Criterion went after the very first nfses, with the hot pursuit added to the mix. For those who had the chance to play nfs1 on 3DO, nfshp2010 is nearly the exact game feeling.

Nuts4Ford
11-11-2010, 03:54 PM
agreed. I played The Need For Speed but never had a 3do (played at a friend's house) I DID get the PC version the first day it came out at a Price Club. I remember begging my mom so hard for it lol

Hawk
11-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I do understand the complaints of Free Roam, but I'm happy with what it is. I won't mind taking a police Ford GT around and messing with pedestrian cars. But it is what it is, and we can't change it. You can either accept it or not play that mode and just focus on the careers. There isn't much to say on the topic...

nfslover101
11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I do understand the complaints of Free Roam, but I'm happy with what it is. I won't mind taking a police Ford GT around and messing with pedestrian cars. But it is what it is, and we can't change it. You can either accept it or not play that mode and just focus on the careers. There isn't much to say on the topic...

I don't think players will be able to use the police cars in free roam. I think its just a racer option, I could be wrong though.

OZ
11-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't think players will be able to use the police cars in free roam. I think its just a racer option, I could be wrong though.

you can use police cars in free roam, watch the video i posted.

junior6at
11-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Nobody enjoys cruising anymore? I mean the career events should give us more than enough cop action as far as I know, why should it carry over to cruise mode?

Yes, having free-roam online would be great, but it's still fun to drive solo, soaking up the scenery, taking in every little detail without interruption.

To me cruise mode is reminiscent to PU, that game was about capturing the joys of going for a scenic drive out in the countryside. NFS wasn't always about racing and chases, so I'm glad Criterion remembered that.

Double Mac
11-11-2010, 11:25 PM
+
=

Really, you two deserve each other. :D So you think that dismissing Criterion’s effort (which I neither “hate” nor am I on a quest to undermine the position of) as a non-classic NFS (a Burnout with licensed cars, if you will) automatically deprives me of the right to expect and request any other worthwhile, be it more modern, features that the title might offer (which it apparently does not) instead? Well, you’re wrong.

Since we’ve already established that the game merely resembles classic NFS on the surface while playing more like a Burnout (or even, frighteningly enough, an OutRun) title (which most of the reviews – and how surprisingly so – seem to confirm), I am now asking the simple question: if it’s not like classic NFS, what else is there to justify a purchase?

MW, despite its intelligence-insulting SP races, instantly won me over with that sympathetic and fairly complex environment allowing for hours of fun due to the improvisation-friendly, intense pursuits. Carbon, although admittedly weaker, offered more of the same plus the official introduction of classic muscle cars complete with rather jaw-dropping customization options for those. UG2 gave me spontaneous outrun challenges, a pleasantly smooth and surprisingly versatile physics model (which could be further tweaked thanks to all those in-depth performance-tuning options) and some unbelievably tough racing over diverse (in terms of layout) and numerous sprint & circuit courses once I realized that the installation of an N2O kit was completely optional in that game. Oh yeah, and I was certainly pleased to find that replay feature, too.

So… since I am now desperately looking for a reason to buy this mediocre-looking (in terms of the feature roster, of course) excuse for a racing game; since I won’t be able to do custom duels, challenge a bunch of higher-class opponents in the hope of catching up somewhere around the 7th lap, tweak the performance of my car, struggle with the gearbox, enjoy the luxury of an interior view, fly through the air, learn to master difficult sections of a given track (s/a the Atlantica / Aquatica tunnels & S-curves, the tricky pueblo & divided highway segments of Lost Canyons or the 90-degree mayhem of Country Woods), skip the annoying cinematics (which, sadly, the reviews confirm) opting for the infinitely more desirable and useful replay format instead, or even free-roam with a bunch of furious cops on my tail… can you, Nuts4Ford (assuming I haven’t made it onto your ignore list yet), at least tell me if it’s even possible to win the Roadsters Reborn race without so much as touching the boost button?

I imagine that, since you’re all about old-school and stuff, you never even thought of trying to beat your friends’ times with the help of something as unacceptably Black Box as that. Or did you? :D

yup game is full of fail and all those little things matter because the review scores have been so low because of them.

The scores are (unsurprisingly) high because those reviews are aimed at the casual gamer – y’know, the kind of people who frequently leave comments in the vein of “since GT isn’t out yet, I’m getting this instead”. To them, one racing game is as good as another. As long as it’s polished, visually attractive and fun – which Criterion’s baby apparently is. Personally, I’ll wait for reviews from actual hardcore NFS fans s/a Zpectre or Remko, for instance. Folks who remember what classic NFS was about and who wouldn’t dream of comparing that particular title to a state-of-the-art sim racer.

That being said, most reviewers seem to praise the game on the “strength” of its similarity to the Burnout series so it looks like you’re becoming increasingly alienated in your “back-to-the-roots” theory, I’m afraid:

Let’s get it out of the way right now – Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit feels and plays like a Burnout title in almost everything but its name. Hot Pursuit tries to straddle a thin line between realistic car handling and accessible arcade racing, and while it definitely nails it, it’s unquestionably closer to the latter. (…) As the police, these events feel a lot like Burnout’s “Road Rage,” only you’re attempting to take out a finite number of racers before they reach their goal.

While Hot Pursuit isn't simply Burnout Paradise with licensed vehicles, it feels far closer to that series than it does the likes of Undercover, Most Wanted and Underground. (…) Despite feeling like a fusion of Need for Speed and Burnout, Hot Pursuit is still the most exciting title the franchise has seen in a long time.

Pros: Perfect blend of Need for Speed and Burnout
Cons: Has a bit of an identity crisis

sarcasm obviously, but the reviews I've read have said that the flow of the game is much better that you dont have to traverse the whole world to get to a race or pursuit.

Why would I go through the pain in the *** of driving up to somewhere?

Doesn’t have to be like that. MW & Carbon kept everyone happy with their universal solution.

(…) Remembering HP/HS, you could make single races without opponents but with traffic etc (…).

You could make single races with or without traffic & cops, turn the damage on/off, and you could select the number, class and skill level of your opponents, too. Pretty flexible, eh?

(…) Parts of Sea Crest County reminds me of Dolphin Cove from High Stakes (…).

Except Dolphin Cove offered a decidedly technical section running through the forest, a somewhat tricky shortcut, and a “wall squeeze” near the lighthouse. Things that Seacrest simply won’t have.

That’s what I suggested when people complained about that feature being absent from UC. The problem is, while free-roam is UC’s “default mode”, this game’s natural “environment” seems to be a menu (with “free ride” being an option you need to enter “manually” as opposed to being thrown back into it after each event) which isn’t quite the same thing. Especially if you compare it to BP’s admirably seamless (well, nearly) integration of the open-world aspect. You could, for example, activate the crash mode (which, by the way, was little more than an excuse to showcase the game’s fantastic damage modeling) from within a race, automatically cancelling that event without any fuss.

It'll remain to be seen how much lasting appeal this game will have (if, like me, you hardly play online), but so far my impression is that of a game which is very exciting the first few hours/days that you play it, largely thanks to the spectacular scenery.

My thought exactly. Lasting appeal? Hmm, I don’t know, Remko… Let’s see, no custom race menu (ie forget about challenging that Veyron bully in an F1 without any traffic to distract you, for example, unless the devs composed such a configuration for you, albeit on a predetermined course), no circuits, no tournaments, no replays, no performance-tuning, no spontaneous pursuits or outruns… What can you do then? Well… you can indefinitely repeat a given event trying to beat your friend’s time, for example. Personally, I’m bored already. You can also go online and enjoy getting fried with EMP blasts. Not interested? How about perfecting those drifts (which is what exotic cars are famous for, after all) in order to earn enough boost to be able to win a race? Because, skills-wise, that’s probably the greatest challenge you can count on in this, completely devoid of technical courses, game. That and a well-thought-out weapons usage strategy.

Free roam is probably what missed in the past NFS titles, pre-Underground era dated, that could have delivered the best driving experience available.

Absolutely. Hands up whoever wasn’t sad that Autobahn, Alps or Auvergne had to end at some point? :) The absence of free-roam in those titles was a limitation rather than a selling point, if you ask me. Same for the preset factory colors in 2SE – an issue that was thankfully addressed in the original (or, let’s face it, “proper”) HP.

You mean, do the exact same race (no custom settings, remember?) over and over again? Since I’m not the sort of person who amuses himself with a piece of paper with “turn me over” written on it, I’ll have to say “no, thanks”.

Underground 2, Most Wanted, Carbon, Undercover - all of their career modes sported a free roam mode.

And UG2 even had a separate “quick race” free-roam mode where you could take any stock or modified car for a spin or a series of outruns.

Actually, the entire game feels like your turkey sandwich. There’s bread (the setting) and turkey (the cars) and little else, really. Let’s face it, this is not a serious racing game in the sense that the original HP was. The G4tv review (http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63969/Need-for-Speed-Hot-Pursuit/review/) even mentions rubberbanding:

While the rubberbanding isn’t as prevalent as in other games, there is a certain degree of forgiveness afforded to computer-controlled cars that is not afforded to you. Ramming into an enemy car will almost assuredly cause you to lose some bit of control, as well it should, however the computer rarely, as long as it’s not a takedown collision, exhibits any signs of being hit. Yet when the computer hits you, not only do they remain in total control, it will take everything in your power to keep your car on the road.

(…) I can't believe people are complaining about this game. Freeroam is an extra here, not a fundamental part of gameplay.

In case you haven’t noticed, that’s kind of the issue here. If (like MW or BP, for instance) the open-world offered anything remotely involving, anything to keep me from the tedium of redoing the same event in order to beat someone’s time or practicing drifts in a McLaren F1, I might be tempted to give the game a try.

I think they should put in masses of easter eggs (dunno if that will happen).

Why should they? The game is perfect as it is.

None of these were even close to what I would call a classic NFS.

He’s talking about the free-roam-related options those titles offered.

Much like the old NFS (Highstakes and the like), you weren't given a option to drive to a race, but you choose the race you wanted to (like how its set-up in 2010) (…).

Except those old titles gave you the freedom of choosing your opponent / opponent class & number and disabling / enabling traffic. Which might seem like a “minuscule” feature to some but, to me, that tiny little thing resulted in a massive replay value boost.

(…) Cars are not customizable, but do have factory paint jobs.

Too bad. I always go for custom colors in HP & HS. Always.

And the race environments do have some nostalgic value of reminding you of some of the old tracks.

And (apparently) no technical segments whatsoever. (Beats me why there are no drag races or highway battles with all those ludicrously looong straights.) And no bumps (nor even significant elevation changes), ramps or genuinely tricky shortcuts (think North Country, for instance) either.

No need. I just did a knockout tournament in 2SE about 2 hours ago. Messed it up flipping my car on North Country so I tried my luck in a quick one-on-one, challenging an XJ220 on a traffic-free Mystic Peaks in an Esprit V8 “enhanced” with some, uhm, personalized downforce settings. I missed a couple of gears and eventually lost but the replay was pretty cool. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to doing something similar in the forthcoming “back-to-the-roots” game by Criterion. :D

this is what seems to me that people doesn't get it. Criterion went after the very first nfses, with the hot pursuit added to the mix. For those who had the chance to play nfs1 on 3DO, nfshp2010 is nearly the exact game feeling.

You earn boost by drifting while ramming & EMP-ing the hell outta your opponents? Cool!

Nobody enjoys cruising anymore? I mean the career events should give us more than enough cop action as far as I know, why should it carry over to cruise mode?

Because driving along a closed course with cops on your tail is a bit of a limitation. (And that’s what it felt like in the original HP to me.) While it does present a certain unique challenge (because you have to stick to that predetermined route), it’s (at least) equally exciting (and definitely more natural) to be able to choose your own path in a frantic attempt to shake off the cops.

NFS wasn't always about racing and chases, so I'm glad Criterion remembered that.

Too bad they happened to forget about a “few” other, uhm, non-essential features, s/a manual transmission, interior cam, performance-tuning, custom race menu with opponent selection, circuits with selectable # of laps, KO mode, r*****s, t*********s (expressly censored with Tristan’s mental health in mind – he doesn’t need to see “this shit again”, y’know) or even an option to skip the damn cutscenes and disable the oh-so-classic boost for those of us who remember that the NFS of old was a tiny bit more of a serious racing game than Criterion would have you believe.

OZ
11-11-2010, 11:53 PM
You earn boost by drifting while ramming & EMP-ing the hell outta your opponents? Cool!

you know, usually this would be enough to tick me off into explaining what i said... but since its you, and and by knowing how much you like to literally write essays that are so long and or tedious to get to the point that i always end loosing interest before finish reading, making a discussion btw us 2 impossible, i wont' bother giving an explanation of what i said...

meanwhile, this "casual" player as most of you seems to consider for liking this game the way it is, will be enjoying it and having revivals of the first time he met with nfs. ;)

CVPI19
11-12-2010, 12:21 AM
Except Dolphin Cove offered a decidedly technical section running through the forest, a somewhat tricky shortcut, and a “wall squeeze” near the lighthouse. Things that Seacrest simply won’t have.

The part of Seacrest that made me think of Dolphin Cove from High Stakes was the lighthouse seen in the videos made me think of Dolphin Cove while the abandoned airfield in the desert reminded me of the abandoned airfield from the outback track in the Playstation 2 version of Hot Pursuit 2.

Double Mac
11-12-2010, 01:30 AM
@ OZ: Sure, I understand.

1. Are you tired of having to scroll through Double Mac’s posts?
2. Does it piss you off that some smartass beats the crap out of you in an online race thanks to skillful performance-tuning and adept use of manual transmission?
3. Wouldn’t you like to ram that jerkwad out of the way or, better yet, blast his *** with an EMP gun rather than go through the pain of racing him like a man?
4. Do you hate circuit races because you tend to lose interest and invariably fall asleep on the 2nd lap?
5. Or is it because some jerk always embarrasses you by overtaking your sorry *** by the end of the 3rd lap?
6. Doesn’t it suck when you stupidly hit a wall due to your poor driving skills and there’s no boost to correct the mistake and get you back in the lead where you belong?
7. Wouldn’t it be cool if you could somehow replenish the boost supply during a race?
8. Do you feel that something like the Bugatti Veyron needs a “turbo” power-up because its stock incarnation is just so damn slow you need to be awoken to be reminded of the fact you’re actually halfway through a race?
9. Do you hate corners because your driving skills just plain suck?
10. Do you get dizzy when you look at custom race menu options in proper racing games?
11. Wouldn’t it be cooler if the game made all the choices for you?
12. Do you hate tournaments because you can never remember your standing?
13. Is it too much hassle to enquire about your friends’ record times (provided you actually give a flying f*** about those) on a forum, in an email or via other media readily available to the Connected Generation™?
14. Do you have a tendency to get confused in an open-world driving game which offers too many interesting options (s/a unmarked events or hidden items) to consider?
15. Do you need cutscenes during a race to help you understand what the f*** has just happened?
16. How about race position icons over the opponents’ cars because, for the life of you, you can’t figure out who’s in the lead and who’s behind you?

If you answered ‘yes’ to at least 8 of the above questions, congratulations – you have ADD!

Fortunately, EA and their developers Criterion have just the thing for you (and in time for Christmas too)!

BURNOUT:FACEBOOK™. BECAUSE WE CARE ABOUT THE ADD GENERATION!!!

_BLAHHEAD_
11-12-2010, 02:34 AM
I'll answer those anyways, just cause:

1. No, they're rather interesting to read.
2. Not really, if they have skills, I'm fine with losing.
3. See two. And on a sidenote, you can't EMP other racers.
4. No, considering I enjoy my however many laps endurance races in Gran Turismo 2.
5. Just annoys me to screw up on the last corner of the last lap, which happens at times.
6. Yes. To the first part anyways.
7. Doesn't matter, nitrous/boost is usually a last resort for me in most NFS games
8. lolwut.
9. No.
10. No.
11. Depends, if I want a quick race, I don't want to go through the dozens upon dozens of options. But generally, no.
12. No.
13. No, but having it in front of you streamlines things nicely.
14. No.
15. If you're talking about some deep RPG with an actual story, yes. Otherwise, no.
16. Again, lolwut.

Yet I still like this Hot Pursuit, regardless of my (lack of) ADD status. So if you want real "back to the roots" NFS game, go "back to the roots" and play those instead. No one said you had to play this game.

Nuts4Ford
11-12-2010, 05:29 AM
btw Reviews from the Hardcore NFS fans are looking good. All the old school guys who played NFS since it's induction are psyched up for this game. Community leaders from various sites are pumped. But yet because some punk who thinks he's been around the block says this game isn't old school/back to its roots/whatever, we're supposed to believe him? AND the game isn't even out yet? I'll take into account the views of the veterans and true hardcore NFS guys, not you guys :)
Oh and far from your "casual" racer btw, if you knew me you would know that lol

Oh saying reviews are skewed towards the casuals? Someone sounds like they are your typical basement dwelling PC elitist who love to complain and try to "correct" others to make their E-PP larger.

Allure
11-12-2010, 05:37 AM
DM, you don't mind me answering those questions, at least by my part, would you? :)

1. Apart from the usual characterizing eloquence, you always link your long essay-like posts to valuable and new information with useful, valid arguments. No, I'm not tired at all.

2. If he's a smartass and adept at using his skills, no. However, the ever present lag favors in some sequences, enough to ruin the balances of the race.

3. I'd like to do a clean race, even If the opponent tends to use ramming to get himself in the lead. The EMP... Are we still talking about Need for Speed, DM? :D

4. Not at all. I loved the 7-lap circuits in UG1 and the URL races in UG2.

5. It just motivates me more to get that son of a ***** by the last turn of the last lap, enough to speed my way to the finish line.

6. Not at all. The lack of useless N20/Boost options is a plus for me. Makes me want to perfect my driving skills even more to not hit a stupid wall anymore, at least that would come from lack of concentration. :D

7. No. If there'd be any kind of Boost anyway.

8. The stock Bugatti Veyron has 4 turbochargers with the W16 engine, making together 1001 PS, accelerating from a standstill in less than 2.46 seconds and has the fastest 0-100, 0-200, 0-300 and 0-400 times for production vehicles.

9. A race without corners is a drag race.

10. I love them.

11. No, I like to customize every bit of my driving experience.

12. Tournaments are one of the best features that add more to the driving experience and the game's replayability values.

13. I don't play online and I don't give one flying **** about those.

14. I have a tendency to get major orgasms just by the thought that I will find secret events which preserve great surprises and bonuses If beating them.

15. **** no.

16. **** no, part two.

Sinister
11-12-2010, 06:46 AM
In a week, everyone will start submitting their own reviews, but unless you play it for yourself, reviews are only half good. Tastes of everyone are so different that even if they like everything about the game, you may only like a portion of it.

mortpenguin
11-12-2010, 07:09 AM
The best solution to the growing anarchy here? --> Everyone just shut the %$^& up till the game releases then we can play it proper and give what I would call an opinion.

We're like commenting how a pizza tastes just by looking at it or having a bite on a small 1cm X 1cm piece with lots of toppings and tomato sauce missing. Chill guys, and we'll find out the answer in 3 days time!

Hawk
11-12-2010, 09:18 AM
At least I'll be playing on PC where the game belongs.

I'm curious whether Allure or Double Mac have concerns with the "console people"

Sir Tristan
11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Exquisite eloquence evokes an elitist appeal of your responses, DM. They are 'streets that follow like a tedious argument' and 'dissolve the floors of [my] memory'. A bit of T.S Eliot is never inappropriate.

1. Anyway, it's not possible to say generally. Some are brilliant responses, some are elephant excrements with expensive Furniture Polish poured all over them. You do cover everything and have big support for you arguments, often from people of contrary opinion to you as you find out. Thing is, not always do I bother actually checking through, nor am I at all arsed if it's supported or not.

It's not history, art or literature, there's no importance or significance. It's a ****ing series of games, get over it.

OZ
11-12-2010, 10:10 AM

2. Does it piss you off that some smartass beats the crap out of you in an online race thanks to skillful performance-tuning and adept use of manual transmission?
3. Wouldn’t you like to ram that jerkwad out of the way or, better yet, blast his *** with an EMP gun rather than go through the pain of racing him like a man?
4. Do you hate circuit races because you tend to lose interest and invariably fall asleep on the 2nd lap?
5. Or is it because some jerk always embarrasses you by overtaking your sorry *** by the end of the 3rd lap?
6. Doesn’t it suck when you stupidly hit a wall due to your poor driving skills and there’s no boost to correct the mistake and get you back in the lead where you belong?
7. Wouldn’t it be cool if you could somehow replenish the boost supply during a race?
8. Do you feel that something like the Bugatti Veyron needs a “turbo” power-up because its stock incarnation is just so damn slow you need to be awoken to be reminded of the fact you’re actually halfway through a race?
10. Do you get dizzy when you look at custom race menu options in proper racing games?
13. Is it too much hassle to enquire about your friends’ record times (provided you actually give a flying f*** about those) on a forum, in an email or via other media readily available to the Connected Generation™?
14. Do you have a tendency to get confused in an open-world driving game which offers too many interesting options (s/a unmarked events or hidden items) to consider?
15. Do you need cutscenes during a race to help you understand what the f*** has just happened?
16. How about race position icons over the opponents’ cars because, for the life of you, you can’t figure out who’s in the lead and who’s behind you?

If you answered ‘yes’ to at least 8 of the above questions, congratulations – you have ADD!

Fortunately, EA and their developers Criterion have just the thing for you (and in time for Christmas too)!

:Facepalm:
ok, lets "play"

1- people who make themselves understood through less words make their message go through first. so yes.
2- some of my fav racing games are GTR, GT, GT-Legends and Racer, go figure. Either way, if you can't stand losing, you shouldn't be playing games to begin with.
3- if the game gives me the option, way not? Its all about having fun. Also, as often happens among my friends, we discuss the terms of the race, so even if the game give weapons as options, we don't use it.
4- so far i clocked 103:23.12s of racetime on Nürburgring Nordschleif on several games that have it. Seems that i do like corners.
5- read above
6- if it happens, it happens, you go ahead and use anything you can t make up your loss of time. Be nitro or blocking an overtake till you get your racing rhythm back. If it's allowed, you use it.
7- could care less
8- could care less also
9- see answers 4 and 5... again -___-.
10- define a proper game, actually don't, since all you will be able to do is define a proper game "as you see it". BTW, if you don't know, I'm one of the forum members who advocate the large usage of tuning options in racing games, and yet, unlike most of the gamer who just "want", i take sides with the developer, balancing things rather than just giving.
11- depends on the game, and depends on what is being chosen. When given things like "setup your race server", or "find a quick online race", i rather take the game to make the choices according to my rig rather than doing it myself. Less time tinkering with menus, more time having fun with friends.
12- i could care less for tournaments if they aren't the main focus of the game. Besides, if a game doesn't have tournaments, what impedes you to organize one with a pencil and paper? At least, that is what i used to do when my friends came over to play snes with me.
13- no, its not, yet having a tool that is able to keep track of them, giving updates, even when we are not racing each other is rather pleasing. As well other advantage it has.
14- :Facepalm: this is getting bordeline retarded. Quick answer, GTA is my *****. Does it ring any bells?
15- no, but i like when they are well made and introduced properly, making the part of the game dynamic.
16- how about having a grid full of car of the same color, and not knowing who you're going to talk over the mic to make fun with? Either way, i played so many FPS and other online games to actually give a S**T about how the game displays other player.

are we done flogging this horse? BTW, since you like to be so literate about your knowledge, go educate yourself about Attention Deficit Disorder a bit, as your attempt to link the answers of your said test to the real disease were ridiculous (with some of the questions displaying that the developer of the test could have add, as they revolved over and over onto the same subject) if not offensive to anyone who knows what the true disease is like.

Sir Tristan
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM
are we done flogging this horse? BTW, since you like to be so literate about your knowledge, go educate yourself about Attention Deficit Disorder a bit, as your attempt to link the answers of your said test to the real disease were ridiculous (with some of the questions displaying that the developer of the test could have add, as they revolved over and over onto the same subject) if not offensive to anyone who knows what the true disease is like.

Last blow IMO. Any other argument is now invalid. Complete wipe out, at least on this one.

AJ_Lethal
11-12-2010, 12:26 PM

1-Yes, honestly (24kinglong)
2-No. Cause i'm manly nuff to admit being defeated by someone who's more skillful.
3-Nope. Cause neck-to-neck competition is always good (unless it's burnout)
4-I dont like them cause they're tedious. Not im going to kill myself, but...
5-Gotta try other tactics as well.
6-Depends, if there's n20, no. if its not there... well... I'M SUCH A ***** AT DRIVING!
7-Yup. It's an arcade game, fgs.
8-Why not? Insane speed is insane.
9-No, I LOVE corners.
10-I'll kill for em
11-Only when i'm in a hurry.
12-Hell, no!
13-Nope. Autolog should be focused more to cooperative gameplay, IMO.
14-Nope. I like to roam aimlessly.
15-Yes, just because they're cool. Otherwise it will look plain and dull. Like NFSW, i.e.
16-Maybe. But leaderboards and maps does the job fine.

And i thought i was a ***** by complaining about the wii version.

Zpectre
11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
@DM: Well put.

btw Reviews from the Hardcore NFS fans are looking good. All the old school guys who played NFS since it's induction are psyched up for this game. Community leaders from various sites are pumped. But yet because some punk who thinks he's been around the block says this game isn't old school/back to its roots/whatever, we're supposed to believe him? AND the game isn't even out yet? I'll take into account the views of the veterans and true hardcore NFS guys, not you guys :)
Oh and far from your "casual" racer btw, if you knew me you would know that lol

Oh saying reviews are skewed towards the casuals? Someone sounds like they are your typical basement dwelling PC elitist who love to complain and try to "correct" others to make their E-PP larger.

Where are those reviews? I don't see them anywhere here, and this site is where most of the so-called "hardcore fans" (a group I must be included in, since I've played almost all NFS games to death after all) congregate.

Nuts4Ford
11-12-2010, 11:12 PM

1. NO I LOVE YOU!
2. YES I HATE HIM
3. SHOOT IN FACE KTHNXBAI
4. I LIVE A 1/4 MILE AT A TIME
5. CAN'T OVERTAKE IF HOLE IS IN GAS TANK
6. THERE SHOULD BE NO WALLS
7. INFINITE BOOST
8. WHATS A VEYRON?!
9. CORNERS ARE FOR SLOW DRIVERS
10. ME ONLY WANT GO RACE
11. DUUUURRRRR
12. I ALWAYS WIN ANYWAY
13. I <3 FB + Myspace. ^_^
14. I LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO TOO!
15. I WANNA STORY LIKE BIKER BOYZ
16. I DON'T CAUSE IM ALWAYS WINNER

a serious reply for a serious set of questions :)

Zpectre
11-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Too bad they happened to forget about a “few” other, uhm, non-essential features, s/a manual transmission, interior cam, performance-tuning, custom race menu with opponent selection, circuits with selectable # of laps, KO mode, r*****s, t*********s (expressly censored with Tristan’s mental health in mind – he doesn’t need to see “this shit again”, y’know) or even an option to skip the damn cutscenes and disable the oh-so-classic boost for those of us who remember that the NFS of old was a tiny bit more of a serious racing game than Criterion would have you believe.

Actually there will be manual transmission, but they've only put it in there after hearing lots of complaints from fans. It would've been a sacrilege for the game not to feature it. I mean, the excuse by the Criterion rep that there's too much going on at the same time and you can't be arsed to switch gears was weak. Most Wanted has similarly complicated controls and allows you to choose manual transmission.

1. NO I LOVE YOU!
2. YES I HATE HIM
3. SHOOT IN FACE KTHNXBAI
4. I LIVE A 1/4 MILE AT A TIME
5. CAN'T OVERTAKE IF HOLE IS IN GAS TANK
6. THERE SHOULD BE NO WALLS
7. INFINITE BOOST
8. WHATS A VEYRON?!
9. CORNERS ARE FOR SLOW DRIVERS
10. ME ONLY WANT GO RACE
11. DUUUURRRRR
12. I ALWAYS WIN ANYWAY
13. I <3 FB + Myspace. ^_^
14. I LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO TOO!
15. I WANNA STORY LIKE BIKER BOYZ
16. I DON'T CAUSE IM ALWAYS WINNER

a serious reply for a serious set of questions :)

Like others before me, I'm already sick of your shit. You know, being an old timer doesn't give you an excuse for acting like an ***.

nfslover101
11-13-2010, 03:10 AM
you can use police cars in free roam, watch the video i posted.

Ah thank you, I missed it.

Nuts4Ford
11-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Like others before me, I'm already sick of your shit. You know, being an old timer doesn't give you an excuse for acting like an ***.

*hugs*
I sawry

Sir Tristan
11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Actually there will be manual transmission, but they've only put it in there after hearing lots of complaints from fans. It would've been a sacrilege for the game not to feature it. I mean, the excuse by the Criterion rep that there's too much going on at the same time and you can't be arsed to switch gears was weak. Most Wanted has similarly complicated controls and allows you to choose manual transmission.

He didn't act like an arse at all. If you were hurt by it, it's nobody's fault. It's ok.

furai47
11-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Alright, let's do this!

1. I am generally tired of scrolling through posts that have a high bullshit/interesting ratio. Yours are not the case. Yet.

2. No, because I wouldn't know he is using them, unless it was a sim I was playing, in which case I'd do the same.

3. You can't blast other racers with EMPs, and as long as he doesn't ragequit before I beat him by driving tidily, I honestly don't give a damn.

4. Actually, I prefer long sprint races. Circuit races me no hate, but 10 laps of the same thing over and over again is, well let's be kind, let's say repetetive. Add capable opposition though...

5. That is a motivation to kick his arse in the next race.

6. It's an arcade racer.

7. This is basically a regenerative health vs. medkit question. I'd take the medkit.

8. Clarkson: Activating turbo boost. 3-2-1-POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!:D Answer #6.

9. Rocky Pass and Summit are my favourite tracks in any NFS I've played so no.

10. While I like the amount of options in NFS3:HP and NFS4:HS, I don't like the amount of options in, say, GTR2, because I spent more time in menus than on the track.

11. Well, some choices like graphics settings to optimise performace, yes. Race options, not all of them, and see answer #10.

12. Yes, because standing is more physically demanding than sitting. Dude, it's a fact. Ok, I get it, no, I don't, but a paper and pencil do the work.

13. This is just stupid. If there is a way of making it simpler, DON'T ****ING MAKE IT MORE BLOODY COMPLICATED YOU IDIOT!!!:furious3: They focused a bit too much on it, so what? If there are ways to improve on making fire with rocks, why not explore and find better alternatives?

14. GTA. San Andreas no less. I welcome them. Doesn't mean I'll go search for them though.

15. No, I need them because a moving picture of a car rolling and getting smashed to bits makes for a better sense of accomplishment than TAKEDOWN written on the screen. When I want to do speed runs, I turn them off.

16. I'd like to see names of drivers on the plates. However, names/positions over cars don't matter much, because I tend to turn everything but the essential (dials and occasionally the map) off. And if I don't, I'm only interested in my stan...sitting during a race, so why care about the other idiots?

I like what Criterion did with this year's NFS. They brought it back-to-the-roots. Yeah, I did it. It's not the pre-Underground era NFS, but what's essential is there. If you feel disappointed, it's your fault for getting hyped up/being a snob.

And if you have a problem with the game having similarity to Burnout:
1. It's Criterion, you bloody moron:Facepalm:
2. It's a great series of games, you bloody moron:Facepalm:

If you refuse to look at it as a NFS, look at it as a step towards the real old school NFS. However I have the feeling you'll disappointed how that one will/won't have (insert x; x is something not to your liking that can however be easily adressed).

And if anyone tells me I can't express my opinion by being an arse, you're a bloody moron.

SubyRS
11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Seeing as there's a lot of Burnout Paradise mechanics and unrestricted free roam, 16th Nov will be a very busy day...

How about November 12th instead? The game is already out at certain stores.

Nuts4Ford
11-13-2010, 05:08 PM
16th is the release date. Mom and pop stores sometimes put games out once they get them rather than hold them till release day.

SubyRS
11-13-2010, 05:35 PM
BTW on topic, Free Drive mode is a mixed bag it "seems". You have the option to enter free drive at the game map as a racer or a cop. But all you can do is drive around in cars that are unlocked and roads that are opened up by game progress. It's not like you can drive to the different events as in NFS's of past. You just drive.....and pass slow passenger vehicles....and look around.....maybe take pictures if you want.

It seems rather boring (free drive) as it is now, but it may take on a new life when the online part of the game is started up (whenever that is). Maybe you can play cops and racers online with friends..I don't know.

nfslover101
11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
16th is the release date. Mom and pop stores sometimes put games out once they get them rather than hold them till release day.

SubyRS has it, I am jealous, I have to wait until it ships on the 16th, then wait for it to get shipped here...

SubyRS
11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Those mom and pop stores get my business. Especially when Game Stop and EB Games (both owned by same coagulation) open two stores within 1000 feet of mom and pop to put them out of business. Freakin cut throat sharks like Homo Depot! But it didn't work so EB Games closed and Game Stop moved one whole mile down the street. Mom and pop reward their loyal customers with early access to new games. I get all the new console racers before the rest of the country usually. Now PC version....that's another story. But I do want to get the PC version some day to try it with a good steering wheel.

Nuts4Ford
11-13-2010, 07:31 PM
The issue though is that if a publisher finds out the mom and pop shop sold a critical game early, they run the risk of getting the next big titles from that publisher late or not at all.

SubyRS
11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
That's why I say shhhhhh and don't hand out the stores name. Because GameStop is right down the street.

NAMETYR
11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Those mom and pop stores get my business. Especially when Game Stop and EB Games (both owned by same coagulation) open two stores within 1000 feet of mom and pop to put them out of business. Freakin cut throat sharks like Homo Depot! But it didn't work so EB Games closed and Game Stop moved one whole mile down the street. Mom and pop reward their loyal customers with early access to new games. I get all the new console racers before the rest of the country usually. Now PC version....that's another story. But I do want to get the PC version some day to try it with a good steering wheel.

And that's exactly what I expected ;) Thanks.

Double Mac
11-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Brief & to the point this time (thank Gawd, eh?):

You can't blast other racers with EMPs (…).

(…) On a sidenote, you can't EMP other racers.

No? Can anyone tell me what happens in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Z70vrMQJs) (which is pretty cool, by the way, but then, so is Craig Sullivan’s hairdo, at least to some people) then?

And here’s another one (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/extraits-videos-jeux/0003/00032001/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-playstation-3-ps3-fuyard-00007206-hd.htm) I’ve already linked to elsewhere; the action you’re looking for starts at about 04:48.

(That being said, while I don’t know whether this applies to online MP, where would the fun be if it didn’t, eh?)

Enjoy!

Oh yeah, and the obligatory… YOU SEE?! YOU SEE?! I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Punks! :D

OZ
11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/organiczero/thegreydesert/images/mehro56811.jpg?t=1289866812

This thread resumes to this now...

Allure
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
^ Didn't know that providing arguments was deemed like that. Oh well, time zone needs to be redefined.

OZ
11-15-2010, 05:27 PM
^ Didn't know that providing arguments was deemed like that. Oh well, time zone needs to be redefined.

when you get a situation where you have one side liking the final product, while other not liking it, the whole argumentation will resume to that exactly picture.

Allure
11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
when you get a situation where you have one side liking the final product, while other not liking it, the whole argumentation will resume to that exactly picture.

Yep, sounds like just an everyday forum day - insults, people getting banned. Fascinating.

KrazyBoy
11-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Yep, sounds like just an everyday forum day - insults, people getting banned. Fascinating.
Caused by lack of caring and education. The younger people are getting worse and worse till a young boy could do crimes.
________Back on topic___________
I don't think Criterion Games mentioned or wanted the old game modes.
And also, bring back to its roots doesn't mean it has to be classic. It may has a little but modern cars were like makin' it modern. :P Bad sentence.
We can just perhaps it has a lot of things that we don't know.

_BLAHHEAD_
11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Brief & to the point this time (thank Gawd, eh?):

No? Can anyone tell me what happens in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Z70vrMQJs) (which is pretty cool, by the way, but then, so is Craig Sullivan’s hairdo, at least to some people) then?

And here’s another one (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/extraits-videos-jeux/0003/00032001/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-playstation-3-ps3-fuyard-00007206-hd.htm) I’ve already linked to elsewhere; the action you’re looking for starts at about 04:48.

(That being said, while I don’t know whether this applies to online MP, where would the fun be if it didn’t, eh?)

Enjoy!

Well, I stand corrected. Still supporting this game though, considering EMP is still no blueshell.

Oh yeah, and the obligatory… YOU SEE?! YOU SEE?! I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Punks! :D

Yeah, good job! Now should I give you the trophy for being right on the internet? Or would you prefer a cookie?

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I wonder how many of you would be blindly supporting this game if Criterion didn't advertise it as a "return to the roots"...

OZ
11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
I wonder how many of you would be blindly complaining about this game if Criterion didn't advertise it as a "return to the roots"...

fixed for ya, 2 can play this game :P

_BLAHHEAD_
11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I wonder how many of you would be blindly supporting this game if Criterion didn't advertise it as a "return to the roots"...

I don't care if it's back to the roots or not, it's a goddamn video game, that just needs to be FUN.

I wonder how many of you would be blindly complaining about this game if Criterion didn't advertise it as a "return to the roots"...

+1

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
fixed for ya, 2 can play this game :P

Then why don't you try to tell me how exactly have people been "blindly complaining" about the game? Whereas, among the supporters, all I see are Nuts4Ford and Tristan's senseless posts. I, Allure, Double Mac and Primus all have made valid points. I sincerely can't see a game heavily inspired by NFSHP2 (if you disagree with me, take a look at HP2's career and cop modes) being fun at all. Maybe for a short while, since it'll at least won't be a piece of crap like HP2 was.

I'll gladly take my words back if it turns out to be a good game, but from what I've seen until now, I don't have much reason to be excited.

OZ
11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Then why don't you try to tell me how exactly have people been "blindly complaining" about the game? Whereas, among the supporters, all I see are Nuts4Ford and Tristan's senseless posts. I, Allure, Double Mac and Primus all have made valid points. I sincerely can't see a game heavily inspired by NFSHP2 (if you disagree with me, take a look at HP2's career and cop modes) being fun at all. Maybe for a short while, since it'll at least won't be a piece of crap like HP2 was.

I'll gladly take my words back if it turns out to be a good game, but from what I've seen until now, I don't have much reason to be excited.

You still failed to get both the picture i posted, and the small convo I had with allure right after it. How hard could it be.

right now, this how the discussion of this game sits, one group likes it, other don't, and both will never agree.

I'll try to make this simple, you, don't like it, i do like it. Therefore, the same points you consider "valid" holds no ground for me. You complain about missing features, i could care less about them. You don't see the "back to the roots" feeling, i do. And so on and so on...

Do you see a pattern now? or should i go deeper? Seriously, you are smarter than this...

3ni_2nr
11-15-2010, 08:01 PM
I would've enjoyed freeroam mode with a dash view much better.

Over 9000 internets to you.

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
You still failed to get both the picture i posted, and the small convo I had with allure right after it. How hard could it be.

right now, this how the discussion of this game sits, one group likes it, other don't, and both will never agree.

I'll try to make this simple, you, don't like it, i do like it. Therefore, the same points you consider "valid" holds no ground for me. You complain about missing features, i could care less about them. You don't see the "back to the roots" feeling, i do. And so on and so on...

Do you see a pattern now? or should i go deeper? Seriously, you are smarter than this...

I think you should go deeper, please. This is so homo.

Anyway, if you had gotten the picture you wouldn't have replied to my first post. ;)

OZ
11-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I think you should go deeper, please. (this is so homo, I shouldn't have said this)

Anyway, if you had gotten the picture you wouldn't have replied to my first post. ;)

after such response, i can clearly see that I'm wasting my time with you... again... congrats kid, made a fool of myself thinking you were smarter.:P

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 08:26 PM
after such response, i can clearly see that I'm wasting my time with you... again... congrats kid, made a fool of myself thinking you were smarter.:P

Come on, you can't take a small joke like that? I thought better of you, OZ.

Anyway, I won't fell butthurt by your post. Let's just hope our next interaction is in better terms.

Double Mac
11-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Some food for thought regarding this “someone always has to complain” attitude:

That which is voiced can be heard, so when it is brought to the attention of the right audience, actions soon follow.

Like you said, sometimes it may take years for an action to be implemented, but it does eventually happen.

(That was a reply to one of my early posts, by the way.)

Right between the eyes, eh?

Of course, if we choose to “STFU” (credits for the recommendation go to GreedyTurbo529 & Co. – don’t worry, we know who the rest of you are) and take it up the glory hole from EA on an annual basis, going:

I do want a couple freeroam environments. I do want switchable arcade, chaotic carnage/realistic, detailed action. I do want interior. I do want tournaments, and changing everything. I also want a thing you do, that was not in any NFS before. Customizing the race grid of course. I want to choose and customize all cars personally. This will not happen.

And if we, despite all our cherished wishlists and a variety of “dream NFS” concepts, also rush to let the developers know that they’re heading in the “right direction” because “the atmosphere feels so right” (while not merely criticizing but insulting someone who had the cheek to inquire about something, one would think, as substantial as a custom race mode), we will surely increase our chances of getting the kind of product we’d much rather have instead of this [CENSORED], won’t we?

Me, I’ll gladly continue to “moan” & “*****” (very convenient terms… if you happen to be on the other side of the fence, that is) or, hell, even simply “complain” which, let’s face it, has sooo very little in common with offering useful player feedback, doesn’t it?

So, unless (like, say, _BLAHHEAD_ or furai47 here who, I agree, do have both a point and a rather healthy attitude) you’re not fully convinced that this new NFS leaves absolutely no room for improvement in any department whatsoever… well, reach into your pockets, show us some more of that wide-eyed ecstasy which will undoubtedly make all the credit card-waving a tad more bearable; most importantly though, don’t forget to bend over ‘cos it looks like someone’s just dropped the soap, sugar! :D

Now should I give you the trophy for being right on the internet? Or would you prefer a cookie?

Uhm, isn’t that why we bother posting here after all? To make intentional mistakes so that someone can correct us and we can feel stupid and beat ourselves up about it afterwards?

That being said, I’ll have that trophy, please. They last longer than cookies and I’m all about Lasting Appeal, you see.

Nuts4Ford
11-15-2010, 11:36 PM
oh what a trainwreck, this is just too fun to watch. Watching double mac try to: defend his position, act all high and mighty putting himself on some sort of pedestal, and trying to insult people all at the same time. Best part is he just keeps making himself look worse and worse.

good times :)

Allure
11-16-2010, 03:59 AM
oh what a trainwreck, this is just too fun to watch. Watching double mac try to: defend his position, act all high and mighty putting himself on some sort of pedestal, and trying to insult people all at the same time. Best part is he just keeps making himself look worse and worse.

good times :)

It's always better watching Double Mac own people in his way than watch your pathetic spamfest with useless bullshit without providing any particular argument to sustain yourself a valid participator of the discussion.

@All the others who can't stand having dirt thrown at EA's constant fail in making a decent Need for Speed.

No, we will not, I shall not myself keep my mouth shut as Criterion thinks It has done back-to-the-roots advertising to sustain the game at a higher level than It should belong.

maggit
11-16-2010, 04:35 AM
Now, now. I think it's going to be a decent game. The problem is that it's going to lack features like a dashboard, manual transition, quick race(sic!).

It also has design flaws such as an open world devoid of a complex layout confined by barriers like in the previous 'open world' Need for Speeds (it's comforting to see that you can at least fly through them if you crash), nonsensical power-ups for racers and a free ride mode you have absolutely nothing to do in.

Now, if the driving model is at least a bit believable I could probably live with that, seeing how enjoyable the sole experience of driving in TDU is despite its lacking physics engine.

The problem is that EA makes something (or makes a team do something) that's the absolute minimum for other developers and advertises it as revolutionary, 'one-and-only-type-thing' which it usually isn't. EA games are most frequently solid titles though lacking in certain aspects, something some may call the divine spark, or simply any sing of devotion on behalf of the team.

Nuts4Ford
11-16-2010, 05:16 AM
It's always better watching Double Mac own people in his way than watch your pathetic spamfest with useless bullshit without providing any particular argument to sustain yourself a valid participator of the discussion.

@All the others who can't stand having dirt thrown at EA's constant fail in making a decent Need for Speed.

No, we will not, I shall not myself keep my mouth shut as Criterion thinks It has done back-to-the-roots advertising to sustain the game at a higher level than It should belong.

Owning, Awww that's cute :) I'm sure Double Mac would approve. There's no sense in arguing with either of you as OZ has already pointed out. So you can go ahead and stick your fingers back in your ears and start screaming and whining again. We'll just move on and have fun enjoying our back-to-roots NFS game.

BAH HUMBUG right?

Allure
11-16-2010, 05:52 AM
Have fun playing Burnout Paradise 2 with licensed cars. :)

Zpectre
11-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Have fun playing Burnout Paradise 2 with licensed cars. :)

As a matter of fact, I think Burnout Paradise will spank this game.

Actually, after looking at Burnout Paradise, I can't help but feel Criterion could've done a better job with the game. They cut some vital features.

Primus
11-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Owning, Awww that's cute :) I'm sure Double Mac would approve. There's no sense in arguing with either of you as OZ has already pointed out. So you can go ahead and stick your fingers back in your ears and start screaming and whining again. We'll just move on and have fun enjoying our back-to-roots NFS game.

BAH HUMBUG right?

You're about as useful as a sperm donor with no testicles. And when I say useful, I mean you're good to piss on but not much else.

I'm curious, and I think I've stumbled on to something...

Talking excessively without making sense: Check.

Becoming overly emotional: Check.

Failing to think rationally: Check.

Arguing over nothing: Check.

Refusing to apologise when wrong: Check.

Yep, my assumptions are correct: you're a ****ing woman.

furai47
11-16-2010, 09:01 AM
Hello again.

First, DM, thanks for that video, it taught me that in order to have realistic competition online, I can only play with people I explicitly make a deal with not to use the emp. Unless, you can turn it off... oh wait, no custom races. It seems what Criterion simplified with autolog they completely ****ed up in this department.
Your bullshit/interesting ratio has reached an all time low here, I thank you again. Internetz respect +1. Also, will you at all try it out? You seem an interesting person to argue with and might even be an interesting adversary as well.

Second, I don't think this game cannot be improved. Quite the opposite, but modding might be harder because, for the life of me, I cannot think of one community made mod for Burnout Paradise. Was the code complicated, was there a lack of interest, I don't know. DLC I'm worried will be overpriced, and not interesting enough. But consider this, Criterion implemented a reset function after its absence was discovered to be ultimately bollocks.

Thirdly, I will enjoy Burnout Paradise 2: Licensed Cars Edition because I enjoyed the first one. And I still play it from time to time.

I hope I've clered some things up.

Nuts4Ford
11-16-2010, 09:29 AM
You're about as useful as a sperm donor with no testicles. And when I say useful, I mean you're good to piss on but not much else.

I'm curious, and I think I've stumbled on to something...

Talking excessively without making sense: Check.

Becoming overly emotional: Check.

Failing to think rationally: Check.

Arguing over nothing: Check.

Refusing to apologise when wrong: Dutch.

Yep, my assumptions are correct: you're a ****ing woman.

Yup a woman with itty bitty titties and a flappy vajayjay. Oh btw, all those describe dm and allure as well.

furai47
11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Yup a woman with itty bitty titties and a flappy vajayjay. Oh btw, all those describe dm and allure as well.

Yes, yes, and while you're at it, describe them as tossers as well, they might go cry in corner from all the filthy language here on the internet. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

If this was trolling, well done, you win.
If not, shut your mouth, you're the reason almost every even numbered post is OMG NO U!!!one1.

AJ_Lethal
11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Everybody is getting tr-

Never mind

Double Mac
11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
(…) Thanks for that video (…).

No problem. It was meant to be informative above anything else. The smartass “I TOLD YOU SO” comment was just thrown in as a bonus reference to something Hawk had said in Suby’s thread.

If you liked the first video, I recommend keeping an eye on this guy’s channel (until you get your hands on the game, that is) – he’s got some other quality HP footage. I have now practically seen everything I needed to see (environment-wise, at least) thanks to his contributions. To be honest, I think I’ll be better off watching those vids than playing the actual game (!) since I’m really disappointed (and, sadly, already bored) with Seacrest’s uncomplicated layout. Despite those stunning visuals, something as charming as Oakmont Valley seems like a terribly wasted opportunity. On the other hand, the NW sections of the map feel rather repetitive, and Eagle Crest Road – as amazing as it looks – has absolutely nothing on something like Summit or Snowy Ridge in terms of elevation changes, environmental / architectural variety and, well, technical segments.

My point is, if I can get bored with the environment by merely following gameplay videos, this doesn’t bode well for the actual hands-on experience. By comparison, I can’t say the same thing in relation to GTA IV which – just like those numerous NFS “community leaders” & other assorted “hardcore NFS fans” NutsyBoy mentioned with regard to that amusing vehicular combat game – I’m all “psyched up” and “pumped” for (no, really, I’m jacked, man! I wanna hit the weights!) due to tons of videos.

(…) I don't think this game cannot be improved. Quite the opposite (…).

Yeah, that’s what I said. It’s just that the stupidly convoluted sentence I came up with was probably more ambiguous than necessary! I kept rereading it before I finally decided that – even though it might not be readily apparent – it was, in fact, semantically correct. Er, I think. :D

Your bullshit/interesting ratio has reached an all time low here, I thank you again.

Now, that initially seemed like a pretty ambiguous sentence as well but I think I got it. You’re welcome. :)

(…) Will you at all try it out? You seem an interesting person to argue with and might even be an interesting adversary as well.

Huh huh, thanks. I like arguing. Arguing is my business! :D Will I try the game out? I’ll probably wait for the Ultimate Box edition. Depending on the features it offers, of course.

(…) For the life of me, I cannot think of one community made mod for Burnout Paradise. Was the code complicated, was there a lack of interest, I don't know.

I was gonna ask Dawid (nfsu360) about it when I inquired about other games he might be interested in cracking (frankly, I was trying to talk him into doing something about DRIV3R which is a title he admittedly liked a lot) but he replied that they had all been cracked already. At the time I had no idea that this didn’t apply to BP. Gotta dust off the subject, I guess.

DLC I'm worried will be overpriced, and not interesting enough.

And some of it will inevitably be console-specific. Like the Big Surf Island addition (which no PC user cares about anyway, after all).

But consider this, Criterion implemented a reset function after its absence was discovered to be ultimately bollocks.

And the entire time-of-day cycle in an update, if I’m not mistaken? That’s why I’m crossing my fingers for a quick race menu which, as you suggested, shouldn’t be too hard to implement. The question is whether this is what EA decides lies in their best interest (or something), and how many fans will, well, moan, *****, complain and, erm, nitpick about this “minuscule” feature not being included in the first place.

AJ_Lethal
11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I agree with DM that the racer weapons are a bit of overkill. Instead of EMP, why not put run-flat tires? Or instead of spikestrip, put a juggernaut to smash those roadblocks?

Sir Tristan
11-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Double Mac, you never played Shift. I think you might like it, but you dismissed it like a proper *******. You never tried its pretty good customized quick race..

All I'd add to it would be lessening the car-falling-apart-sound on corners, some open-road tracks, stock out the cars, get all of them in cop versions and make a mode where you dry-hump the racer to a stop.

furai47
11-16-2010, 10:56 AM
I agree with DM that the racer weapons are a bit of overkill. Instead of EMP, why not put run-flat tires? Or instead of spikestrip, put a juggernaut to smash those roadblocks?

The Iphone version has an Oil Slick for racers instead of a Spike Strip. Racer EMP can be exchanged for a weapon that basically confuses cops, like that bait at E3, but a tweaked a bit so it can be used in between intersections. Or maybe a flash bomb. That causes double vision, like the cop sees 2 of you for 10s. And makes it impossible to hear things for 5s. And is called Doppelganger. No, no, Doppelgänger.

AJ_Lethal
11-16-2010, 11:00 AM
^bwahahahaha.

Hawk
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
...was just thrown in as a bonus reference to something Hawk had said in Suby’s thread.

Dragging me back in the mud huh? Alright, well have fun with that.

If you've noticed I've been neutral about all of this. I am excited, but I'm not throwing it in your face. The game is a personal experience for everyone. The reviewers love it, SOME of the Veterans of NFS like or love it, and yeah some outright hate it. That's what happens when people make games. It's nothing new.

So it's out today, I'll be downloading my copy and playing tonight after work.

Again, I'm sorry you're not impressed/don't like it/not interested. It's a shame, but that's your decision and you can just watch YouTube to satisfy those needs.

yesman
11-16-2010, 07:59 PM
instead of spikestrip, put a juggernaut to smash those roadblocks?

+1

I'm just going to put my 2 cents here and say the free drive looks very nice, but the way the cars handle is absolute rubbish and ruins it. I've played the demo and I gotta say, the steering made me want to kick a baby off a cliff while wearing a football player outfit and jump off the cliff right after kicking the baby, while relaxing all my muscles thus causing me to fall like a ragdoll like in GTA 4.

Although Burnout-

Hot Pursuits graphics, style, is amazing, some properties just ruin it. I dont feel like- screw it: Quoted from the NFSForums:

to reply to pretty much everyone here, even though I'll start a war, I'll tell you anyways..

yes, the game is fun, the graphics (INSERT:for the graphics geeks) are amazing, car list is nice, scenery is beautiful (though I'll miss the old cityscapes of Rockport and Palmont, wait, I got world, NVM..) cop mode is meh at best, and the game has a lot of Burnout influence(more than I'd really like to be honest)..

It just doesn't feel the same. When I play the first Hot Pursuit and then I play the new one, It feels like Im still playing a completely different game. The old NFS is dead and its not coming back, and I think thats another factor that is making people change their minds.

Its not the F U N, its not the GRAPHICS, meh cop mode, autolog, or even the fact that its called Hot Pursuit, its just not the same...

sure, its got the old style coastal, forest, and I guess desert scenery, but it doesnt feel the same. I remember in HP1, I actually enjoyed getting my car flipped and slightly catching on fire, but I didnt mind because I didnt have to wait 5 seconds with a screen that says CRASHED and instead I got an enjoyable real time wreck instead of some automated one

I remember you had to actually HOLD someone at a wall for 4 seconds to get a proper bust and you could still see his car everytime you drove by and you'd think "he he, poor sucker" instead of utterly trashing someones car with a meter above it and flying past it and just forgetting about it.

Steering/drifting, Burnout feel, meh cop mode, lame crash screen, and flying by Busted(wrecked) cars is the main stuff that bothers me..