View Full Version : HP3 console version control DOA

SubyRS
11-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, I'll make the call at this point in the game allready. The controls in HP3 literally suck.
I start this thread on the slim chance the console game may be patched and corrected if enough people complain. I am going to write EA tonight.

Sorry for the about face, because the concept of the game is really good. But I've been holding off final judgement until I got further into it. But now that I have succesfully won a mere 9 races, I can't progress any further because of the horrible control physics. The steering lag completely destroys this game and makes it unplayable anywhere beyond the first few "newbie" races. Forget the demo. That was a childs toy because those two races were as easy as it gets.

Seriously. As the game advances, you are required to go faster, make no misstakes whatsoever, use all available generated NOS, and use all available shortcuts.....all with the same no response control system the game starts you out with. There is no difference in the cars the way they control. From a Porsche to what may as well be a Hummer, they all control the same sluggish way. Only top speeds are different.

This is a catastrophy. I can't believe EA let this go out like this. SHAME ON YOU!

Here's how rediculous it gets:
At high speeds, you see a needed shortcut comming up on the map, but you can't see it comming up on the actual road yet. By the time you can first make out the faintest glimpse of the shortcut on the road ahead of you, the car cannot react fast enough to make the dirrectional change to take it! Missed shortcut after missed shortcut, even after trying the same race over many times, puts a halt to any game progress. What makes it even worse is that the shortcuts are filled with huge obsticles like trains to hit!

Even worse: Opposing traffic appearing over a modest rise in the road or slight curve cannot be avoided because your car will not move it's sluggish arse over in time to avoid a head-on. Controller input delay coupled with non-linear sluggish physics has killed this game before it reaches the official store shelves.

Buyer beware folks. I'm trying to save you $60. In fact, if anyone lives near Long Beach, CA and wants the PS3 game right now, I'll sell you my copy for half price cash, you come pick it up. PM me if interested. People better hope the PC version has little in common with this console cr@p. If no one wants it I'm taking it back to the store for a big but not total loss tomorrow after work.

Double Mac
11-14-2010, 06:12 PM
That’s sad to hear, Suby, but thanks for all the feedback just the same. Someone suggested controller-specific issues in your other thread. Do you think this might have any relevance to your experiences?

One other thing before you get rid of the game: can you tell us if it’s possible to disable the race position icons over AI cars? (They mess up screenshots, that’s why I keep obsessing about this matter.) In fact, are there any interesting gameplay-related options (s/a, hmm, track direction, for instance, or HUD customizability) to play with at all?

Again, thanks for sharing your impressions.

SubyRS
11-14-2010, 06:28 PM
There are none of the on-screen options you mention in the game. It's very hard coded in the options department. Just trying to get rid of the game asap. I tried my Logitech Cordless Precision PS3 gam pad with no difference. The game also does not save my custom button maps so that has to be done upon every gaming session.

I'll check out that other thread too though. Thanks...

KF72
11-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Well, I'll make the call at this point in the game allready. The controls in HP3 literally suck.
I start this thread on the slim chance the console game may be patched and corrected if enough people complain. I am going to write EA tonight.

Sorry for the about face, because the concept of the game is really good. But I've been holding off final judgement until I got further into it. But now that I have succesfully won a mere 9 races, I can't progress any further because of the horrible control physics. The steering lag completely destroys this game and makes it unplayable anywhere beyond the first few "newbie" races. Forget the demo. That was a childs toy because those two races were as easy as it gets.

Seriously. As the game advances, you are required to go faster, make no misstakes whatsoever, use all available generated NOS, and use all available shortcuts.....all with the same no response control system the game starts you out with. There is no difference in the cars the way they control. From a Porsche to what may as well be a Hummer, they all control the same sluggish way. Only top speeds are different.

This is a catastrophy. I can't believe EA let this go out like this. SHAME ON YOU!

Here's how rediculous it gets:
At high speeds, you see a needed shortcut comming up on the map, but you can't see it comming up on the actual road yet. By the time you can first make out the faintest glimpse of the shortcut on the road ahead of you, the car cannot react fast enough to make the dirrectional change to take it! Missed shortcut after missed shortcut, even after trying the same race over many times, puts a halt to any game progress. What makes it even worse is that the shortcuts are filled with huge obsticles like trains to hit!

Even worse: Opposing traffic appearing over a modest rise in the road or slight curve cannot be avoided because your car will not move it's sluggish arse over in time to avoid a head-on. Controller input delay coupled with non-linear sluggish physics has killed this game before it reaches the official store shelves.

Buyer beware folks. I'm trying to save you $60. In fact, if anyone lives near Long Beach, CA and wants the PS3 game right now, I'll sell you my copy for half price cash, you come pick it up. PM me if interested. People better hope the PC version has little in common with this console cr@p. If no one wants it I'm taking it back to the store for a big but not total loss tomorrow after work.

I'll mail you the cash and pay for shipping.

gigiosantos
11-14-2010, 08:08 PM
You know you're supposed to drift at hard turns, don't you?

junior6at
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Your review is very disheartening to hear. I'm gonna be getting it in about a day, but man...

Primus
11-14-2010, 09:30 PM
You know you're supposed to drift at hard turns, don't you?

No, you're really not. This is a racing game, not FnF. Drifting might look 'cool', but it's nowhere near the fastest line around a corner.

Stop being a new-gen, Bieber-kid.

I could tell from the gameplay vidoes that the physics were shite. The cars seem like they have zero grip and can drift at will, and the addition of NOS is moronic.

CAN
11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
as i said nfs died long time ago lol

Double Mac
11-14-2010, 10:08 PM
No, you're really not. This is a racing game, not FnF. Drifting might look 'cool', but it's nowhere near the fastest line around a corner.

True. But he might be suggesting the most effective strategy for this particular game, for all I know. So, while drifting will definitely slow you down, chances are you’ll earn more than enough boost to make up for the “setback” in spades. Naturally, it still sucks that you’re supposed to even think of employing something as idiotic in an NFS game. By default.

That being said, since I’ve just borrowed a used mentality from Mr. Nuts4B00st, judging by this poster’s forum registration date and post count, we can safely say that we’re dealing with a mere “punk who thinks he’s been around the block” and who, consequently, “doesn’t know what he’s talking about”. Personally, I feel much better already.

(…) The addition of NOS is moronic.

Not at all! It’s one of the selling points of this game! Imagine how interesting and meaningful that Autolog thing will become with the introduction of “infinite boost” & “perfect handling” trainer cheats to the mix! I’m already wetting my panties in anticipation of an in-game prompt from a certain Oliver saying he beat my time by 135 seconds.

Seriously though, this is gonna be the first “NFS” game without an option to 1) disable boost altogether and 2) win races without it. Even the Black Box titles give you the flexibility of not installing that shit in the first place and still remaining competitive. In fact, both UG2 and MW only gain (in terms of the good ol’ feeling of competitive excitement) if you do just that. The speedtrap events take on a whole new dimension without the predictability of N2O boosts and the more technical of the Jackson Heights races become damn near impossible to beat in something as clumsy as a stock GTO, for example.

Nuts4Ford
11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Mr. Nuts4B00st

Actually it's Nuts4B00Bs but I applaud your effort.
*pats Double Mac on his wittle head*

Hawk
11-15-2010, 01:13 AM
... become damn near impossible to beat in something as clumsy as a stock GTO, for example.

Stock GTO's aren't clumsy, for your information. Far from perfect, but clumsy is a bit harsh.

I think there is some sort of hardware, software issue at hand with the PS3 version. Having played ONLY the demo on the Xbox 360, I did not experience any lag. And the code for the demo build is old (so i've heard), so I wouldn't understand how input lag would be present in the final game. I think it may be an [unfortunate] isolated incident at this point.

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Stock GTO's aren't clumsy, for your information. Far from perfect, but clumsy is a bit harsh.

In NFSU2, for your information, the GTO has the handling of a transatlantic cruise ship.

KF72
11-15-2010, 01:52 AM

I think there is some sort of hardware, software issue at hand with the PS3 version. Having played ONLY the demo on the Xbox 360, I did not experience any lag. And the code for the demo build is old (so i've heard), so I wouldn't understand how input lag would be present in the final game. I think it may be an [unfortunate] isolated incident at this point.

I played the PS3 demo and there was no lag, so stop being fanboyish and come to accept that CLEARLY, there is something wrong with the final build.

Hawk
11-15-2010, 01:55 AM
In NFSU2, for your information, the GTO has the handling of a transatlantic cruise ship.

That may be, but not so in real life. More what I was referring to.

gigiosantos
11-15-2010, 03:13 AM

Stop being a new-gen, Bieber-kid.

I could tell from the gameplay vidoes that the physics were shite. The cars seem like they have zero grip and can drift at will, and the addition of NOS is moronic.

You see, this game is made by Criterion. And it's using Burnout Paradise's engine.
Drift and boost is Criterion's bread and butter. That's why roads are made of soap in Burnout, therefore making drifting faster than turning on them.
Now on NOS: Imagine that you are driving the hardest track on the whole game. You crash at the beginning. Wat do? Nitrous is there for online purposes. And, as mentioned before, drift and boost is Criterion's bread and butter.
It might not be what you were expecting, but then you were expecting something they would obviously not make.
Plus, even if this is the case, the game will still be awesome. Just play it as if it were Burnout and you'll be fine, k?

Not at all! It’s one of the selling points of this game! Imagine how interesting and meaningful that Autolog thing will become with the introduction of “infinite boost” & “perfect handling” trainer cheats to the mix! I’m already wetting my panties in anticipation of an in-game prompt from a certain Oliver saying he beat my time by 135 seconds.

Seriously though, this is gonna be the first “NFS” game without an option to 1) disable boost altogether and 2) win races without it. Even the Black Box titles give you the flexibility of not installing that shit in the first place and still remaining competitive. In fact, both UG2 and MW only gain (in terms of the good ol’ feeling of competitive excitement) if you do just that. The speedtrap events take on a whole new dimension without the predictability of N2O boosts and the more technical of the Jackson Heights races become damn near impossible to beat in something as clumsy as a stock GTO, for example.

You trust PC leaderboards still?
Hell, even some console leaderboards sre being hacked.

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 03:21 AM
Just play it as if it were Burnout and you'll be fine, k?

I might as well play the real deal, then?

(fires up Burnout Paradise)

gigiosantos
11-15-2010, 03:22 AM
I might as well play the real deal, then?

(dusts off Burnout Paradise)

Burnout Paradise doesn't have F1s.

Zpectre
11-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Burnout Paradise doesn't have F1s.

Unless you're referring to the McLaren F1, it does have an F1 car, the Krieger WTR, right?

gigiosantos
11-15-2010, 03:59 AM
Unless you're referring to the McLaren F1, it does have an F1 car, the Krieger WTR, right?

The McLaren F1.

SubyRS
11-16-2010, 01:42 PM
I played the PS3 demo and there was no lag, so stop being fanboyish and come to accept that CLEARLY, there is something wrong with the final build.

No, there is massive steering lag with the PS3 demo (as well as the full game). Some people see it. Some people don't even get it because they don't know what to look for. Don't worry we don't fault you for that. We just don't pay much attention to your opinion. Duhhhhh...what steering lag? LOL

Someone else said nobody was complaining about this same issue with the X360 version, and that it is a PS3 issue only. BS!

Look at this first topic I just pulled up at X360 forum: read it on down if your attention can hold that long.

http://forums.xbox.com/34764166/ShowPost.aspx

Some people see it, some people just don't get it.