View Full Version : Yer Top 3 (JUST THREE!!!) Missing Features

Double Mac
11-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Alright, since I’m tired of polluting numerous other threads with my [CENSORED reference to the censor’s own, hmm, very considerate expression] and what not, I decided I might as well grab the Miura by them horn-shaped doors and provide those precious objections with a cozily sheltering garage of a dedicated thread.

The main question is: what are your top missing features in this year’s NFS?

To make the whole deal a bit more comprehensive (and consequently more meaningful, I think), I decided to use the multiple-choice format. Please, vote for no more than 3 options (if the damn thing works, that is).

Another (vaguely interesting, I hope) question is: what were your realistic expectations as soon as you learned that Criterion was going to reinvent the franchise (or whatever the move was advertized as this particular year).

Personally, I was expecting a custom race menu (not necessarily including all of the features I listed below), a greater (much greater) map complexity/size ratio, something to do in free-roam (say, an equivalent of BP’s Road Rage thingy or MW-style pursuits), a more comprehensive & realistic physics model (in comparison with BP), and… nothing else, really. I knew a perfected version of BP’s time-of-day & weather system would be implemented. I was also certain that there would be no storyline, and I applaud this choice but… that’s practically giving Criterion credit for something they did not do. Again.

A brief (but more or less optional) explanation of the contenders included for reference:

1. Custom race menu / Tournament editor
2. Controller settings / Performance-tuning
3. More event types
4. Free-roam gameplay
5. Visual customization
6. Manual transmission
7. Dashboard view
8. Map complexity & diversity
9. Replays & skippable cinematics
10. Diverse physics model & mechanical damage

1. Custom race menu / Tournament editor: The big one, if you ask me, so I want you to go over the following options carefully, pause for a while, and think of the potential hidden in the possible configurations. Features: AI opponent / class selection, opponent number, AI difficulty, catch-up, toggleable boost, toggleable power-ups, traffic density, track direction / number of laps (if applicable), time-of-day / weather settings. Optional: toggleable damage, toggleable cops (ie HP mode selector). A tournament editor (with an optional knockout mode) would automatically incorporate all of the above, HP2-style, so you might simply consider it “the ultimate option” (with the obvious advantage coming from the lack of pressure to place first in every event).

2. Controller settings / Performance-tuning: Lumped together because, in the absence of the global luxury afforded by controller sensitivity settings, individual performance-tuning would probably be the next best thing.

3. More event types: These would primarily include the inexplicably missing circuit races but feel free to imagine how cool it would be to do drag or highway battle-style outruns along all these shiny straights. And while, given the layout, I don’t know how much fun you might have with dedicated drift events, the addition of something like the speedtrap / checkpoint / other (?) formats wouldn’t hurt either. (That’s one thing we can probably expect to be addressed in an update, by the way.)

4. Free-roam gameplay: Even simpler. “Give us something to do in this so-called open-world game!” Improvised pursuits, outruns, a combination of both, BP-style road rules, additional hidden events with optional rewards… I’m sure you can think of something a little more worthwhile than simply driving around looking at the scenery and taking pictures of your car. (If that isn’t addressed in an update, I’ll be very surprised.)

5. Visual customization: Anything more liberating than a humble selection of factory colors (unless you’re happy with your car sharing its appearance with the rides of about 10000 other people). Personally – the key term here – I’m a sucker for small rims, metallic or iridescent paintjobs, and customizable 2-tone (or even 3-tone) patterns. To cut it short though, if there’s something you’d like to change about the looks of your in-game car and you can’t make your dream come true, that simply means that the Criterion guys have shortchanged you. Because “they wanted to keep things pure in this hardcore back-to-the-roots adventure” or something. (Don’t make me laugh.) Or “they didn’t have the necessary experience”. (Don’t waste my time.)

6. Manual transmission: Uhm, next, please.

7. Dashboard view: Complete with a “look around” (or at least the good ol’ “look left / right” functionality). Add to that adjustable angle & distance settings for the 3rd person camera if you want. (GT Legends, for instance, has it – I can’t see why an NFS game shouldn’t have something as useful either.) And, finally, toggleable (if that’s a word) HUD / HUD elements. Just like in those classic titles, y’know.

8. Map complexity & diversity: This would include anything that might make the experience somewhat less dreary… in that perfectly old-fashioned arcade spirit of classic NFS, of course: ramps, bumps, narrow roads, technical segments, (sub)urban areas or a smaller but more complex and varied map. If you miss catching air (Lost Canyons), zigzagged corners (Country Woods), close encounters in tight spots (Aquatica), tricky shortcuts (Rocky Pass), demanding switchbacks (Autumn Crossing), pronounced elevation changes (Palm City Island) and the thrill of a quest for that perfect line between lamp-posts (Summit), support pillars (Empire City), rock formations (Redrock Ridge) & tunnel walls (Atlantica)… or even a slightly more diverse and compact, free-roam-worthy environment, you might want to stop here.

9. Replays & skippable cinematics: First of all, I find it unacceptable that not only can you not disable the intelligence-insulting cutscenes during races (as attractive as they might initially appear) – they also tend to jeopardize your chances of winning by “depositing” you in front of an obstacle (however occasionally so). In addition to that, they’re a lame substitute for the classic replay feature. So, if you’re not at all interested in watching your car from a variety of angles after doing something particularly cool and have no problem with being continuously force-fed those annoying crumbs of someone’s Hollywood-fuelled nightmare, skip this one. Just don’t forget how cool it is to be given a choice to do just that.

(Since this section is somewhat related to the way your car is displayed in the game, I would safely add the option to disable those unavoidable, screenshot-spoiling race position icons here.)

10. Diverse physics model & mechanical damage: I decided to include this aspect in light of some early fan reviews criticizing the, hmm, generic handling. You can treat the second component as a physics-related bonus. “Wall-sliding” – which is a phenomenon introduced to the series after the last indisputably (I hope) classic NFS title, Porsche Unleashed / 2000, and “perfected” in the subsequent Black Box releases – would probably fall into this category as well, if it applies to Criterion’s game, that is. (You tell me.)

Finishing touches:

I decided to ignore the “no storyline” aspect (even though, believe it or not, it tends to get a mention here and there, including a review or two) because, seriously, it’s (supposed to be) a racing game first and foremost, and it’s already pretty damn far from being a complete package. Even for what you’d call an arcade NFS title.

The (admittedly popular) split-screen multiplayer complaint didn’t make it onto the list either because… well, there already is plenty wrong with (the somewhat underwhelming) single player, isn’t there? Feel free to mention it if it’s important to you though. Trust me, it will make you feel better. :)

Naturally, the above, uhm, compilation is a terrible simplification in that it would be rather cute to have all those features but this will have to do, I’m afraid.

Anything I may have missed? (Except for the “nothing – the game is perfect” option, that is?) Other comments?

Drift King of Tokyo
11-17-2010, 05:46 AM
I agree with everything except visual customization.

Myojinoir
11-17-2010, 05:54 AM
* What i was hoping for was actually something more similar to NFS HS career mode with all it`s difficulties of advancing(tis` what makes me love the game(HS)). Here, there is no money to make in this game, you unlock cars by collecting bounty points and can use the unlocked cars straight away without any concequences(by that i mean, you don`t have to pay for them whatsoever), it`s just so simple that it makes me puke. You also don`t have to repair your car after it`s been damaged in the race. Every NFS starting HP2(included), without the only exception PS, fails in this department. I for one, didn`t experience any ties to my cars at all, like i did in HS, PU, heck even U, U2, MW, PS and Shift - Blackbox can do it, so why can`t you? I don`t mean you should be able to win the game by using only one car - that`s ludicrous. But make events that force you to use a certain series of cars, a certain model, a certain brand, like PU had. If there`s no difference what car you choose per event, what`s the point in having so many of them? Online experience? - Screw you.

* I loved the replays in Shift, it`s the one thing that makes me still play the game, from time to time, but here - again - we don`t have them, well why not? Then there`s the cinematics, i consider them to be a huge waste of time before every race, you Can skip them, but not as soon as the race starts, you have to wait... why? As soon as the race starts i want to skip the cinematics. Like DM said, they pop up during the race, why do that? At least add an option to disable them, like HP2 had, when you were flying down a mountain road.

That`s all i have to say really, DM said everything else.

Voted for:
Custom race menu / Tournament editor
Replays & skippable cinematics
Diverse physics model & mechanical damage

Double Mac
11-17-2010, 05:57 AM

Oh, I don’t necessarily mean anything extensive. A custom color editor like the one included in the rea… sorry, in the original HP would be just fine. But it’s 2010 so it wouldn’t be completely out of place to ask for something as basic as your gloss / metallic / whatever paint roster.

You can (in fact, you’re encouraged to) vote for 3 options, by the way. I believe we’ll get a more comprehensive idea of players’ expectations that way.

Allure
11-17-2010, 05:58 AM
The main question is: what is your number 1 missing feature in this year’s NFS?

Just one?! Phew, we need a list here, sir. :)

Another (vaguely interesting, I hope) question is: what were your realistic expectations as soon as you learned that Criterion was going to reinvent the franchise (or whatever the move was advertized as this particular year).

Was a hoping a true comeback of the series' roots with innovations regarding, well, regarding racing nad the surrounding atmosphere and landscape, instead of a pseudo retro-inspired game.

Personally, I was expecting a custom race menu (not necessarily including all of the features I listed below), a greater (much greater) map complexity/size ratio, something to do in free-roam (say, an equivalent of BP’s Road Rage thingy or MW-style pursuits), a more comprehensive & realistic physics model (in comparison with BP), and… nothing else, really. I knew a perfected version of BP’s time-of-day & weather system would be implemented. I was also certain that there would be no storyline, and I applaud this choice but… that’s practically giving Criterion credit for something they did not do. Again.

Seconded.

If free-roam would've had improvised pursuits/outruns and quick race would've been introduced, I'd say I could've played the game but having in mind It wouldn't have been still a comeback to the roots, never.

1. Custom race menu / Tournament editor: The big one, if you ask me, so I want you to go over the following options carefully, pause for a while, and think of the potential hidden in the possible configurations. Features: AI opponent / class selection, opponent number, AI difficulty, catch-up, toggleable boost, toggleable power-ups, traffic density, track direction / number of laps (if applicable), time-of-day / weather settings. Optional: toggleable damage, toggleable cops (ie HP mode selector). A tournament editor (with an optional knockout mode) would automatically incorporate all of the above, HP2-style, so you might simply consider it “the ultimate option” (with the obvious advantage coming from the lack of pressure to place first in every event).

My dear God, how much this is needed, the replayability values augmented beyond imagination.

2. Controller settings / Performance-tuning: Lumped together because, in the absence of the global luxury afforded by controller sensitivity settings, individual performance-tuning would probably be the next best thing.

What can you expect?

3. More event types: These would primarily include the inexplicably missing circuit races but feel free to imagine how cool it would be to do drag or highway battle-style outruns along all these shiny straights. And while, given the layout, I don’t know how much fun you might have with dedicated drift events, the addition of something like the speedtrap / checkpoint / other (?) formats wouldn’t hurt either. (That’s one thing we can probably expect to be addressed in an update, by the way.)

Or, putting the Challenge Series on their own instead of mixing It with career itself.

4. Free-roam gameplay: Even simpler. “Give us something to do in this so-called open-world game!” Improvised pursuits, outruns, a combination of both, BP-style road rules, additional hidden events with optional rewards… I’m sure you can think of something a little more worthwhile than simply driving around looking at the scenery and taking pictures of your car. (If that isn’t addressed in an update, I’ll be very surprised.)

This is so much needed.

5. Visual customization: Anything more liberating than a humble selection of factory colors (unless you’re happy with your car sharing its appearance with the rides of about 10000 other people). Personally – the key term here – I’m a sucker for small rims, metallic or iridescent paintjobs, and customizable 2-tone (or even 3-tone) patterns. To cut it short though, if there’s something you’d like to change about the looks of your in-game car and you can’t make your dream come true, that simply means that the Criterion guys have shortchanged you. Because “they wanted to keep things pure in this hardcore back-to-the-roots adventure” or something. (Don’t make me laugh.) Or “they didn’t have the necessary experience”. (Don’t waste my time.)

Types of paint, all color palettes, customizable x-tone patterns, factory selection of rims and in-depth customizing of them, aftermarket rims too.

6. Manual transmission: Uhm, next, please.

Where the hell It is?

7. Dashboard view: Complete with a “look around” (or at least the good ol’ “look left / right” functionality). Add to that adjustable angle & distance settings for the 3rd person camera if you want. GT Legends has it – I can’t see why an NFS game shouldn’t have something as useful either.

Lazy as ****?

8. Map complexity & diversity: This would include anything that might make the experience less dreary… in the perfectly old-fashioned arcade spirit of classic NFS, of course: ramps, bumps, narrow roads, technical segments, (sub)urban areas or a smaller but more complex and varied map. If you miss catching air (Lost Canyons), zigzagged corners (Country Woods), close encounters in tight spots (Aquatica), tricky shortcuts (Rocky Pass), demanding switchbacks (Autumn Crossing), pronounced elevation changes (Palm City Island) and the thrill of a quest for that perfect line between lamp-posts (Summit), support pillars (Empire City), rock formations (Redrock Ridge) & tunnel walls (Atlantica)… or even a slightly more diverse and compact, free-roam-worthy environment, you might want to stop here.

Damn, DM, my mouth is watering from those memories. :D

9. Replays & skippable cinematics: First of all, I find it unacceptable that not only can you not disable the intelligence-insulting cutscenes during races (as attractive as they might initially appear) – they also tend to jeopardize your chances of winning by “depositing” you in front of an obstacle (however occasionally so). In addition to that, they’re a lame excuse for the classic replay feature. So, if you’re not not interested in watching your car from a variety of angles after doing something particularly cool and have no problem with being continuously force-fed those annoying crumbs of someone’s Hollywood-fuelled nightmare, skip this one. Just don’t forget how cool it is to be given a choice to do just that.

(Since this section is somewhat related to the way your car is displayed in the game, I would safely add the option to disable those unavoidable, screenshot-spoiling race position icons here.)

+1.

10. Diverse physics model & mechanical damage: I decided to include this aspect in light of some early fan reviews criticizing the, hmm, generic handling. You can treat the second component as a physics-related bonus. “Wall-sliding” – which is a phenomenon introduced to the series after the last indisputably (I hope) classic NFS title, Porsche Unleashed / 2000, and “perfected” in the subsequent Black Box releases – would probably fall into this category as well, if it applies to Criterion’s game, that is. (You tell me.)

There's so much missing in this title you'd literally write books about It, best-sellers too.

Finishing touches:

I decided to ignore the “no storyline” aspect (even though, believe it or not, it tends to get a mention here and there, including a review or two) because, seriously, it’s (supposed to be) a racing game first and foremost, and it’s already pretty damn far from being a complete package. Even for what you’d call an arcade NFS title.

The (admittedly popular) split-screen multiplayer complaint didn’t make it onto the list either because… well, there already is plenty wrong with (the somewhat underwhelming) single player, isn’t there? Feel free to mention it if it’s important to you though. Trust me, it will make you feel better. :)

Naturally, the above, uhm, compilation is a terrible simplification in that it would be rather cute to have all those features but this will have to do, I’m afraid.

Anything I may have missed? (Except for the “nothing – the game is perfect” option, that is?) Other comments?

You didn't miss anything at all. :)

Drift King of Tokyo
11-17-2010, 06:05 AM
Oh, I don’t necessarily mean anything extensive. A custom color editor like the one included in the rea… sorry, in the original HP would be just fine. But it’s 2010 so it wouldn’t be completely out of place to ask for something as basic as your gloss / metallic / whatever paint roster.

You can (in fact, you’re encouraged to) vote for 3 options, by the way. I believe we’ll get a more comprehensive idea of players’ expectations that way.

Ah alright gotcha. I agree with everything then.

Voted For:
Diverse physics model & mechanical damage
Dashboard view
Manual transmission

RedTwentyFour
11-17-2010, 06:18 AM
funny. none of the above is missing for my gaming experiance.

Allure
11-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Well, DM, you know about my concept and you know very well all of these aforementioned by you are included in It and a lot more.

Although, I'd like to add a more diverse career type which blends street racing, be-the-cop and track simulation with the benefit of using the goods obtained in each of them for your messing around pleasure. :D

Robin'7t4
11-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Actually i'm not sure if i'm able to vote, because i don't have this game, i've only read few reviews.
This is what i think on the basis of those reviews:

It would be nice if available.

Actually i don't care about this, i rarely use it in games.

3. More event types

No single race mode ?!!! :Facepalm:
btw, my favotire event type is 'Sprint' (from one location to another), i don't like Circuits (Laps)

4. Free-roam gameplay
No, i hate that shit, this is not Grand Theft Auto, it's a racing game.

5. Visual customization
Only a few factory colors to choose from ? That's it ? :\

6. Manual transmission

No, thanks. I don't have a steering wheel.

7. Dashboard view

I don't like it, i prefer "third person view"

I don't know the scenery

Replays - i always liked them. I wish i could see replays-style like it was in game: Colin McRae Rallye 2 - the best arranged replays ever made in game, those who played it, know what i'm talking about.

Skippable cinematics - really annoying if you can't skip it.

I always hated those “Wall-sliding”, it's ridiculous.
Try it in Race Driver GRID game and you'll hear : "Race over kid"

And the answer on the main question

The main question is: what are your top missing features in this year’s NFS?

I'll be missing this year's NFS tittle, because i'm not going to buy it. I don't want to be disappointed again. When NFS ProStreet (first nfs tittle which i didn't completed) came out i was explaining to myself "It happens", next Undercover came out - "What the hell are they doing?", Shift - onother disappointment, World - :Facepalm:

furai47
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Can probably implemented simply like this: in freeroam, you press escape/start, there is quick race option, select it, select car color(just text since there are no custom options), select number of opponents, maybe(just maybe) select each car, maybe some weather/time options, then press ok. Map comes on, select point A and B, press race, race.

Yeah that is needed badly. Unless you have a program that lets you configure this outside of the game. Like me.

3. More event types

Nah, I'm good.

4. Free-roam gameplay

It's there, if you meant with more features, then yes.

5. Visual customization

Custom color and maybe rim color. Anything else you **** off with.

6. Manual transmission

Could be useful.

7. Dashboard view

All roadster cars have an interior so its only a question of camera positioning, coupes I don't know.

More is better. However I think with the driving model provided complex hairpin turns would prove to be way more of a challenge than they should be.

Doesn't bother me that much to be honest.

Physics model I would agree, but then you lose the online competition fairness. Mechanical damage, eh, I don't know what to think of it. I like it in realistic games, but I don't feel it would feel welcome here.

AJ_Lethal
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I just miss a custom color option (i want mah r35 in orange) and a neuralizer to forget about some version

Allure
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I'll be missing this year's NFS tittle, because i'm not going to buy it. I don't want to be disappointed again. When NFS ProStreet (first nfs tittle which i didn't completed) came out i was explaining to myself "It happens", next Undercover came out - "What the hell are they doing?", Shift - onother disappointment, World - :Facepalm:

So true.

The inclusion of online-oriented ideology has ruined what made most of us love playing NFS.

Sir Tristan
11-17-2010, 10:33 AM
All the features you listed would be nice. But you treat them as necessary.

And I honestly am struggling to express how little I care, how not arsed I am. To all points, I could not possibly care less. All I care about is beautiful cars, nice scenery on, world off. Including some whining purists. OFF.

And it's not even that I don't like those features you listed. I would like them had they been there. But they are surely not necessary. I repeat: I LIKE them, but they're luxuries, not necessities.

As proof of how biased you are, you didn't even include an option of 'none of the above'. I did select Interior View, but surely if there was a Not Arsed button, you could count on me pressing it. It's funny how from agreeing with each other very expressively we went to flame wars but you now have Allure to voice his enormous admiration and approval for you.

EA is supplying us with great games for 3 years, I think - Shift, Hot Pursuit, then Shift again. Too bad you didn't even bother to PLAY Shift. You never even played it... it's a good game, mind.

Double Mac
11-17-2010, 10:57 AM
To all:

Your entries are now being processed by Basement Dwellers Inc. (a subsidiary of e-Peen Enlargement Industries). We will get back to you individually as soon as DM is allowed to leave the basement where he is currently, er, grounded.

Thank you for your cooperation and Useful Player Feedback.

As proof of how biased you are, you didn't even include an option of 'none of the above'. I did select Interior View, but surely if there was a Not Arsed button, you could count on me pressing it.

Oh, I anticipated that alright. Scroll down to the “Finishing Touches” section near the end of that initial post.

You can (and should) choose 2 more. (Go ahead, you know you want to!) Just don’t go all maggit on me who, as kind as it was of him to participate, ticked about 8, for f***’s sake! :D Now, that’s gonna mess the stats up big time. Thankfully, I anticipated that as well by making the results public. So be warned, folks. :)

EA is supplying us with great games for 3 years, I think - Shift, Hot Pursuit, then Shift again.

I, uh… I dunno what to say to this. :)

TruePro
11-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't care about custimization. It's more fun driving it stock. And wut no manual? Even mm2 and the need for speeds from the 1990s had manual transmition. And no dash view, no classic nfs fun. Also, I never played it, but it is so obvious how ugly the physics are and how lame the damage model is.

BTW one thing I would add to your list, DM, is the ticket system and the busted scenes. That would've been #1 for me.

All these threads just make me hate Criterion even more.

Hawk
11-17-2010, 01:11 PM
I voted.

But your list is meaningless and I hope you know this. EA and Criterion are not going to review it, and go "PULL IT OFF THE SHELVES!". No, they probably had all of these discussions and nixed them. You are not their boss, the game designer or anyone who has influence. They did listen to the Community for a lot of what people wanted, I guess they didn't talk to you.

Time to get over it, the game is out. And none of that stuff will be patched in. Move on sir.

Sir Tristan
11-17-2010, 01:42 PM
I voted.

But your list is meaningless and I hope you know this. EA and Criterion are not going to review it, and go "PULL IT OFF THE SHELVES!". No, they probably had all of these discussions and nixed them. You are not their boss, the game designer or anyone who has influence. They did listen to the Community for a lot of what people wanted, I guess they didn't talk to you.

Time to get over it, the game is out. And none of that stuff will be patched in. Move on sir.

Amen to all points. Especially that you're NOT anyone who has real influence or a game designer at all. They are also businessmen. If you do not like the product, do not buy it. Very simply.

_BLAHHEAD_
11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Meh, chose Custom race menu / Tournament editor, More event types and Replays & skippable cinematics. However, I could do without, because all I really want from the game is fun-factor. And this game got it for me.

Zpectre
11-17-2010, 06:36 PM
All the features you listed would be nice. But you treat them as necessary.

And I honestly am struggling to express how little I care, how not arsed I am. To all points, I could not possibly care less.

Tristan, I know the perfect game for you. Check this out!

LPkUvfL8T1I

Since you don't really care about features, right? :P

For the record, Shift wasn't that great. GRID thrashes it. Codemasters knows where it's at.

Back on topic, the top three features missing from HP2010 are IMO manual transmission, a better free roam mode and a more complex environment, with honourable mention to dashboards. If the cars handle as bad as some people are saying, then better physics as well.

Hawk
11-17-2010, 06:49 PM
If you're bothered, sir, you can reach the 100% completion milestone for both of your Hot Pursuit versions.

I plan on it, and will. I have no reservations or concerns on doing so. This game has met my expectations and has exceeded Carbon, ProStreet, and Undercover's shortfalls.

Here's a simple question for you: Have you played the final, retail version of the game? Yes or No. There is no in-between.

Allure
11-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Here's a simple question for you: Have you played the final, retail version of the game? Yes or No. There is no in-between.

No. And I don't intend in playing It.

The videos suffice my demands.

Enjoy the game.

3ni_2nr
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
For the record, Shift wasn't that great. GRID thrashes it. Codemasters knows where it's at.

This...

/Clarkson

For the record, voted for manual transmission, dash view and sumthin else

NAMETYR
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
funny. none of the above is missing for my gaming experiance.

hi, wheres the quote in your sig? :(

Voted for free roam gameplay, which I think could be expanded, map complexity and diversity (see original post) and dashboard view because I don't care about others. :)

_BLAHHEAD_
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
No. And I don't intend in playing It.

The videos suffice my demands.

Enjoy the game.

Haters gonna hate. Then again, most of the haters here also hasn't played the game yet :\ Which brings me to the question: Which one of you who say HP is a horrible piece of shit has actually played it? Because I want a player opinion, not a bunch of theorists.

Primus
11-17-2010, 10:49 PM
What the heck was wrong with Shift? Yeah, it had some bugs and controller issues, but it captured everything the big sim games didn't: an actual driving experience. Plus, the PC version produced some sweet mods.

maggit
11-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Haters gonna hate. Then again, most of the haters here also hasn't played the game yet :\

Not my fault EA hasn't released a demo for the PC. Furthermore I hate the absurdity of racer powerups,
the map layout and from what I've seen, the driving model is crap. Since racer power-ups are NOT a missing feature I'd say that my third top option would be free roam gameplay.

Honestly, the majority of features DM gave in the poll are things that should be taken for granted and no racing game should be missing those. So, dashboard, manual transmission (it's not GTA ffs), controller settings (puh-lease, do I even need to explain why this should be in a game?), custom races (single race option would be enough but tournaments would be great as well).

As for SHIFT, while I haven't played it I didn't the whole concept. It seemed to me like a GRID rip-off. The gameplay videos weren't that bad but my friend told me the physics are godawful and the damage model is lacking in many aspects compared to GRID, so I sticked to a better game.

ColdCop
11-18-2010, 05:19 AM
I wish there was a hardcore mode with realistic physics.

LiveToPorsche
11-18-2010, 06:10 AM
What the heck was wrong with Shift? Yeah, it had some bugs and controller issues, but it captured everything the big sim games didn't: an actual driving experience. Plus, the PC version produced some sweet mods.

I wasn't able to get the Ferrari pack or the Exotic pack for my PC before they closed them down. :(

As for picking the top three features, it was actually kind of hard, because I had to think of it as first what features to make it HP, and then features to make it BP, and finally features to make it a current game. I went for controller settings, diverse map, and realistic physics.
The settings because the handling could be done a lot better. The map because by today's standards, that map is tiny. And the realistic physics and damage because it's been the norm for years and physics has always been something to make games stand out, especially racing games.

Primus
11-18-2010, 08:20 AM
WTF? There's no AA in this game? I've tried forcing it through all means possible and nothing. This is unheard of. There's even ways to enable AA in game where the engine is designed NOT to have AA (Unreal 3 Engine, Crysis, etc.)

What kinda gay-*** port is this?

Double Mac
11-18-2010, 08:35 AM
WTF? There's no AA in this game? I've tried forcing it through all means possible and nothing. This is unheard of. There's even ways to enable AA in game where the engine is designed NOT to have AA (Unreal 3 Engine, Crysis, etc.)

A gay-*** port. Period.

Yeah, I've read about it on the EA Forums (a lot of, uhm, very interesting customer feedback coming in, by the way, which is something I'll gladly address later) and it would appear that there indeed is no workaround.

Keep on voting and complaining, guys. You're doing a great job. This is your thread now. :)

Allure
11-18-2010, 08:41 AM

That's amazing. :Facepalm:

junior6at
11-18-2010, 08:15 PM
This game is in dire need of some kind of single player custom race mode. Career mode is completely rigid and I find myself regarding it like a check list that I need to do. 10 years from now, when nobody's playing this online anymore, I don't want to have to go through the damn fixed events. This is completely stupid to leave this "obsolete" feature out, the game feels incomplete without it!

Elle
11-19-2010, 01:25 AM
* What i was hoping for was actually something more similar to NFS HS career mode with all it`s difficulties of advancing(tis` what makes me love the game(HS)).

Look at the name! :Facepalm:
The games is called NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and not NFS High Stakes 2010 ..... :Facepalm:

And the funny thing is that you listed so many points, the other games didn't have as well. But also you're saying it's not like the older games. That's kinda paradox, lol.

Some things are really unnecessary like eg. this one: 'Diverse physics model & mechanical damage'
Who the hell wants mechanical damage in an arcade game?! Sorry, but do you want to quit the game after some crashes 'cause your car is too damaged? I don't think so...

Free-roam gameplay.... It's not TDU, lol. :Facepalm:

Visual customization: are you a ricer fan or sth? I really like the idea of keeping the cars as they are and not mutating them, lol...

Map complexity & diversity: What the heck are you complaining about? oO

I could continue that but I have to leave to college soon, so that was my opinion. No asking for trouble!

maggit
11-19-2010, 05:22 AM
Oh right, so just because the name is Hot Pursuit we can have a half-a**ed career mode just like in Hot Pursuit 2? Please.

Which ones? Last time I checked even TDU had replays (not savable though).
An arcade game can have a good physics model but this one is absolute rubbish, especially the handbrake and drift mechanics. I welcome the fact that you can total your car, though.

Well, the free roam has nothing to offer right now so I don't even know why they bothered putting it in.

Map complexity? Well, the layout of the road is pretty disappointing, a whole lot of stretches a handful of corners and very wide ones at that and absolutely no (around 20?) intersections, or anything like that. The shortcuts are pretty diverse but in overall the so called 'open world' of HP 2010 is a series of oldschool tracks which happen to be interconnected with each other. Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing though it simply cries out for more technical and narrower roads as well.

Zpectre
11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Look at the name! :Facepalm:
The games is called NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 and not NFS High Stakes 2010 ..... :Facepalm:

But the game is inspired by the classics and HS is a classic.

And the funny thing is that you listed so many points, the other games didn't have as well. But also you're saying it's not like the older games. That's kinda paradox, lol.

The point isn't to recreate the old game, but to build upon the classic base and improve it, which Criterion didn't seem to understand. They just went with "exotic cars in exotic tracks" and built their own game without much reference to the classics.

Some things are really unnecessary like eg. this one: 'Diverse physics model & mechanical damage'
Who the hell wants mechanical damage in an arcade game?! Sorry, but do you want to quit the game after some crashes 'cause your car is too damaged? I don't think so...

Burnout Paradise had a relatively diverse physics model. The cars didn't handle all that differently, but there were some obvious differences.

HS has mechanical damage. It doesn't need to be race-ending damage. In PU you could wreck your car, which made it really hard to drive, but you could still race with it. I remember I once damaged my Porsche 996 Turbo to the point at which it barely looked like a car and still won a race with it.

But free roam gameplay has been a staple of the series since NFSU2... Only absent in Prostreet and Shift.

Visual customization: are you a ricer fan or sth? I really like the idea of keeping the cars as they are and not mutating them, lol...

Visual customisation could be kept at a minimum like custom colours and even vinyls. I mean, some people like to stand out from the crowd.

maggit already covered this in his post.

I could continue that but I have to leave to college soon, so that was my opinion. No asking for trouble!

No trouble given. ;)

AJ_Lethal
11-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, but what's the point of having 100+ miles of roadway and don't cruise em at will?

Funny from someone who has a customized Camaro on her sig.

Too many straights and relatively easy corners would be boring at the long run.

Nah.

Alexc12fr
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I miss only "Replays & skippable cinematics", no more. Apart from this, the game is f***ing awesome.

RedTwentyFour
11-19-2010, 03:40 PM
i dont see what everyone of you got to complain about the free roam mode, i seen it, and i like it.
and elle is right, there should be no refernce given to HS - and apart from that its called 2010 because its a series restart, not an incarnation or sequel in that way.

KF72
11-19-2010, 10:29 PM
You missed one: split-screen.

HazewinDog
11-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Someone told me the game doesnt have AA (PC version) - Can that be confirmed? Thats also a feature id really like to have :/

Double Mac
11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Someone told me the game doesnt have AA (PC version) - Can that be confirmed? Thats also a feature id really like to have :/

It doesn’t. Apparently, it can be forced via a control panel (if I remember correctly) at least for (some?) ATI cards (though I’ve seen someone claim, albeit w/out pics, to have been able to do the same for an NVIDIA card as well).

A link (http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/3837057.page) to the relevant thread at the EA Forums is all I can offer at the moment.

For all I know, VSync is absent as well.

I haven’t taken gfx-related options into consideration because 1) see below, and 2) as maggit aptly pointed it out, one tends to take things like that for granted. Alright… make that “tended”.

@ KF72: I explained my decision to omit the split-screen thing in the initial post. In short, this here list is primarily about gameplay customizability & flexibility in, first and foremost, single-player mode.

Naturally, feel free to mention MP-related, uhm, disappointments as well, s/a the (apparently) missing chat option and no free-roam-based gameplay??? Is that correct? Whatever happened to that 1-on-1, cop-vs-racer Interceptor mode that, according to Mr. Sullivan, was supposed to be “completely open-world”? Anyone?

Sir Tristan
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Damn it... they better fix that AA fast. And the Interceptor. Patch will surely do that.

3ni_2nr
11-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Why can't everyone see that's its just another 'milk the franchise dry' title.

Saying "back to the roots" sells and that's where the concept stops.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9632vsKRX1qzep78o1_500.jpg

cnrez
11-21-2010, 08:47 PM
I think "Display Aspect Ratio" option in display setting is a MUST !
for people who played the game in low resolution (800x600 , 1024x768) and have Widescreen monitor.
so the car didn't looked like had been PRESSED down !

i see this option in DiRT2, and it's very good.

Double Mac
11-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Some info shedding a bit of light on the available gfx-related options for the PC – including the controversial AA issue – from a DigitalFoundry piece I’ve already referenced (albeit with regard to their controller latency test) in Suby’s “out now” thread:

A noticeable issue with many console titles ported over to PC is the fact that the core art assets are fundamentally designed with 720p resolution in mind. While running in a higher native resolution on PC produces cleaner visuals, there's often a sense that the texture detail just isn't there to warrant the higher pixel-count. Thankfully Criterion recognises this, and within the display options is the ability to switch in higher-detail artwork. Other tweakables allow you to boost soft-shadow quality over the console versions, plus you can enable and disable motion blur.

There are some disadvantages to image quality on PC, however. The console versions operate with 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing, but the PC version omits it entirely and it appears that delving into the GPU control panel and using driver-level anti-aliasing implementations doesn't work for the most part, regardless of your hardware vendor. An edge detect/blur mode setup for StarCraft appears to help a little bit, while others report that Radeon's edge detect AA implementations also help. The recently revealed AMD MLAA post-process also works, but doesn't look particularly good on a game like this, where fine detail in the distance gets blurred, looking worse than the game running untouched.

This, however, doesn’t stop the author(s) from concluding that:

From a technical perspective, [the PC version of] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit stands apart from the console versions, even factoring in the lack of anti-aliasing. The improved resolution options help you to better appreciate the game world and has tangible advantages to gameplay, while the ability to run at 60FPS at max settings with fairly low-level graphics hardware is an obvious boon.

(Source (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nfs-hot-pursuit-face-off?page=3).)

Looks like I was wrong about the 1-on-1 Interceptor mode not making it into the final product. I’m including a couple of links to (barely captivating) gameplay videos: one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WWx5L7TOY) (preceded by an ad) and two (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBIG_dhkQ1A).

For all I know, that feature is online-only. Can someone clarify that, please?

maggit
11-23-2010, 09:11 AM
As far as I know there are events which let you chase a speeder throughout the whole map.

LiveToPorsche
11-24-2010, 02:35 AM
For all I know, that feature is online-only. Can someone clarify that, please?

I haven't gotten very far into the SCPD side of the game, but from the few "races" I've done, there was a 1v1 Interceptor mode.

Double Mac
11-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Too bad you didn't even bother to PLAY Shift. You never even played it... it's a good game, mind.

Hmm, I’m not sure I understand, Tristan. You’ve already tried to “sell” the game to me once. Here, take a look:

Shift is nothing like the old games - they could have went oldschool but NO they had to copy GRID, why, WHY did they waste such an opportunity?!
Dammit!

Shift is a WASTE of opportunity to make something TRULY oldschool (WHY not do it?! WHY?!)

But it gets even better:

Shift is nothing new.
Looking around the cabin, interior camera, realism, damage affecting driving, all this shit has been in Porsche Unleashed!!! I still play it and it's the best along with NFS3 and 4 - EA shall NEVER match these 3 mind-bendingly cool games, never - the new NFS fans grew up so they like a good SHIfT - but never played 1-6.

I can’t help but deal with the above by summoning my most trusted forum friend, Mr. Green: :mrgreen: As a matter of fact… there’s no reason his (somewhat more popular) yellow brother shouldn’t accompany him here for some added emphasis: :D

Allure
11-29-2010, 07:47 AM
^ Ouch. Pwned. :D

Sir Tristan
11-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I can’t help but deal with the above by summoning my most trusted forum friend, Mr. Green: :mrgreen: As a matter of fact… there’s no reason his (somewhat more popular) yellow brother shouldn’t accompany him here for some added emphasis: :D

Brilliant.

Mind you that was before I actually played the game. You should try and see how mind-turning it is.

Oliver Oresic
11-29-2010, 10:19 AM

Same here

Sir Tristan
11-29-2010, 10:24 AM
I have an idea... get Gemballa MIG-U1 into the game.

Piss Ferrari off, because it's not a Ferrari, do the Gran Turismo/TDU-style duck from Porsche... brilliant.

HazewinDog
11-29-2010, 10:42 AM
^Ha! Thats a good one :)

Blues
12-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Very nice topic!
I would like to suggest this: allow AI cop cars in hot pursuit mode (single player/career mode), well explained on this topic:
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29688

DKBrigzs
12-16-2010, 05:11 AM
IMO play first before you complain, iv'e played it and the game physic is a big no no, and why there is turbo? there is nitro right? and why almost all the cars has 7 speed trany? i thought subaru has 5 speed trany, and i think the emp is for the cops only, and jammers for the racers, and spike strips? cops only please, back to turbo i think it would be nice if they replace it with nitro a limited nitro for every race,

and about the dashboard i don't like much

the drift is ok with me, i control the cars better when drifting.

Martin the hedgehog
12-16-2010, 07:46 AM
"Free-roam gameplay"
:Facepalm:
IT'S ALREADY EXISTS IN THIS GAME!!!
WHY THE **** IT'S 2ND PLACE IN THIS VOTE!?!?!?

Sorry for emotions, I had a really bad day today... and I know that this is not the reason to write with CapsLk button...

maggit
12-16-2010, 11:48 AM
"Free-roam gameplay"
:Facepalm:
The thing they call free-roam gameplay in the new HP is only worth a :Facepalm:.

Valentine Rouge
12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
The thing they call free-roam gameplay in the new HP is only worth a :Facepalm:.

^ This.

Sir Tristan
12-16-2010, 01:39 PM

What puzzles me is why you need free roam.

People use it to make beauty shots of the cars. It's a nice feature to put in, and optional.

Remember NFS3, 4, and 6 with their tracks that shared segments? Think of this free roam as just taking off the boundaries for a while.

maggit
12-16-2010, 03:02 PM
If you want to implement something make it work like a fully developed feature, not like a half-a**ed one.
Free-roam just for taking photo shoots? They should have gone either for tracks or full free roam. Everything in-between is just asking for trouble.

Sir Tristan
12-16-2010, 03:06 PM
They should have gone either for tracks or full free roam.

Why?

Everything in-between is just asking for trouble.

How?

maggit
12-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Why?
How?

Because it FEELS unfinished and underdeveloped. There is nothing to do there.
You can't even go for a ride with your friend, let alone wreak havoc and get the
cops on your tail (ergo what this game is supposed to be about). There is virtually
NOTHING to do there except for making photos no one cares about.

They went for a free roam environment and yet decided to close it in the form of
sprint tracks. They didn't even bother to make any intersections not only to make
the free roam world a bit more complex but also enable the possibility of making
circuit races.

Valentine Rouge
12-16-2010, 04:03 PM
If you want to implement something make it work like a fully developed feature, not like a half-a**ed one.
Free-roam just for taking photo shoots? They should have gone either for tracks or full free roam. Everything in-between is just asking for trouble.

...which is what exactly puzzles me as well. The in-between, half-assed options included don't make sense at all. I'm quite surprised a lot of people are playing the game, but then again, such a genre doesn't generate vital bottlenecking issues like other much interesting genres produce during their lifespan.

This however doesn't exclude the low-standard gamers have fallen these days. Eh...