View Full Version : (Not so) Strangely, Hot Pursuit 2010 disappointed me...

Zpectre
11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes, guys, I've played it. And I don't have good things to say at all.

After one hour I've had enough. Nitrous is mandatory (ironically, the game keeps prompting you to push the nitrous button by displaying a small message at the bottom of the screen whenever you're not in first place) and most of the time you can't even reach the other racers with the speed boost. It's almost like you didn't use nitrous. One word: catch-up. Note that it was already this hard in the very first race. Imagine in the later ones? I'm not asking for an easy game, just one that rewards you for playing skillfully, which this game doesn't because if it did, the AI cars wouldn't be able to keep up with me if I spammed nitrous like I had to do in a few races. Also, you can't lose your opponents in corners since there are no hard corners in HP2010's world and the car's handling is crappy.

As it is, it seems one of the most frequent ways to win a race in this game is to wait for the AI to make a stupid mistake. And it indeed happens. For no apparent reason other than to gift you the lead, the AI drivers will crash into oncoming traffic from time to time.

Entering the subject of car handling, I must say I'm pretty underwhelmed. Yeah, all of them handle like bricks (like SubyRS antecipated), even the Boxster Spyder that's unlocked at the beginning, which is supposed to be a very nimble car. The steering is too heavy (even when driving with an analog device - my Xbox 360 controller) and the cars understeer too much, then start drifting when you lift off the throttle, which makes you lose valuable speed. I don't know how keyboarders are going to play this. BTW, all of the cars (at least the ones I tried, which weren't few) handle very similarly except for acceleration and top speed. Zero difference between Dodge Charger and Boxster Spyder.

I wasn't too impressed with the presentation other than them using the slogans for the cars and the girl voice over talking about the cars. The rest seemed pretty basic to me. There was a very annoying thing, however. Before you start a race, you have to go through several screens. After the loading screen, you press A, then you're taken to another screen, have to wait a few seconds before you can press A again to start the race. After this, you're taken to an unskippable short cinematic which shows your car doing a burnout (probably a reference to Burnout?) and you have to wait a few more seconds before you are given control of your vehicle. If you want to restart the race, you'll have to go through all of that again. Yes, again! Now what if you need to restart the race many times because you're stuck in a given event? Right, it'll be a huge annoyance. I don't know how Criterion, a company which has stated in the past that they hate loading screens, allowed this to happen. There's only one thing more irritating than this, which would be the Burnout-esque "Crashed" cinematics that take place after a hard crash. This was the one thing I hated the most in Burnout Paradise, and it's back in HP2010 to bite me in the ***.

Police mode is demolition derby. You can disable the cops like you did in Most Wanted, they just take a few more hits to destroy. Very much like Burnout's takedown mode.

Graphics are shitty. Lack of antialiasing support means PC users got shafted. Horrible jaggedness. Seriously, Shift had better graphics, because it had the damn AA.

Regarding the sounds, I've never heard so shitty car sounds in my life. The car sounds are so muted you can barely hear them, and I've got a kickass speaker setup and a very good sound card (it's integrated, but it's one of those Intel motherboards, I bought it last year). Car sounds are of absolute importance to me, and if they're bad, chances are I won't enjoy playing the game. TDU was the (rare) exception.

The most important thing is that I didn't feel like I was playing a Need for Speed game. There was something wrong with the whole atmosphere. The graphics, the controls, the music... Maybe it's because I knew it wasn't made by the usual people (Black Box) and the game uses the Burnout engine. Either way, I probably won't be playing through this game, because I know a faulty product when I see it, and this title simply isn't worth my time like the past ones were. I haven't played enough to unlock a few features like the weapons, but I won't bother to. I don't want to play a Need for Speed game with weapons, that's just too silly.

Primus
11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
The one thing that pisses me off about HP2010, and recent games in general, is how silly they all are. Seriously, this is basically Mario Kart with cops, supercars, and scenic roads. It's pathetic. I mean, since when did games become so ****ing silly? What happened to some idea of realism being included in the development of the games? It doesn't have to be a simulation, but health bars, power-ups, and drifting? Pathetic.

This is why I liked Shift so much. It was a nice break from the kiddie-styled NFS games that EA churned out. And lack of AA in a 2010 game? Lawl. Nice port, guys.

P.S. TDU 2 will destroy this game.

Bl0cks
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice write-up, took me a sec to realize you were talking about the PC version.

Freak-DS
11-22-2010, 12:49 AM
I've been playing the XBox demo a few weeks ago, and I was like wtf is that handling, it gave me hard times to throw the worlds best handling car, the Boxster Spider, around corners. When playing the PC version with a Saitek Gamepad, I had no problems with it. The Boxster Spider handles excellent, cars giving me a very hard time were the Veyron (weird) and the Corvette (understeer). Still, I was able to notice significant differences in cars handlings.

KrazyBoy
11-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Veyron has speed but not much with handling. And the Corvette has huge horsepower on it's rear, which cause it happen.

Allure
11-22-2010, 04:32 AM
After undergoing the same procedure as Zpec at a friend's PC as he had gotten the game, I played It and I must say I'm impressed I was right after seeing plenty of videos and the feedback of Suby. Remembering how hyped I was in the beginning from watching the trailer and how I feel now about the game are diametrical opposites.

Destroy you say? It will render It obsolete.

Double Mac
11-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Remembering how hyped I was in the beginning from watching the trailer and how I feel now about the game is like a huge contrast.

I should say it is:

[CENSORED quote illustrating how hyped-up ES had indeed been before he, uhm, came to his senses and saw the game for what it is.]

[CENSORED, hmm, verbosity, by any chance?] I just want to quick-thank Zpectre for taking the time to share his valuable impressions with us.

[CENSORED reference to Zpectre’s Shift review thread.]

m3gtrtopdriver
11-22-2010, 05:35 AM
I am playing HP2010 using my keyboard and I have to say that the handling is possibly the worst I have ever experienced. The graphics are nothing special, and at times the game decides to make the track disappear or freeze your car which is very irritating. As a result of the vanishing road the car falls into a hole and is then reset to its last position which places you last in the race. It is worth mentioning that even though there is a huge difference between the acceleration and top speed of a Aston Martin One-77 and the BMW M3, both cars drift through the corners which does not bring out the unique handling characteristics of each car. Another thing is the impossibility of skipping the frequent cutscenes which in some cases proves very helpful as it can take your car through a roadblock OR smash it into a wall at very high speed.
Therefore I totaly agree with you Zpectre.

Zpectre
11-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I am playing HP2010 using my keyboard and I have to say that the handling is possibly the worst I have ever experienced. The graphics are nothing special, and at times the game decides to make the track disappear or freeze your car which is very irritating. As a result of the vanishing road the car falls into a hole and is then reset to its last position which places you last in the race. It is worth mentioning that even though there is a huge difference between the acceleration and top speed of a Aston Martin One-77 and the BMW M3, both cars drift through the corners which does not bring out the unique handling characteristics of each car. Another thing is the impossibility of skipping the frequent cutscenes which in some cases proves very helpful as it can take your car through a roadblock OR smash it into a wall at very high speed.
Therefore I totaly agree with you Zpectre.

The bad handling with the keyboard is probably due to the fact that this game was designed first for the consoles then ported to the PC, so keyboard players weren't really taken into consideration. I'm really sorry for those who have to put up with this shit without an analog device, because the cars handle like boats (very much like in NFSHP2, in fact, which I believe was Criterion's main source of inspiration).

GTA_Converter
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
The handling sucks too much.
I stopped for once to see the envoirenments, I just steered left and the car goes nuts.
Music sounds are too muted too.
And Duel races are a pain in the ***, they dont even use Nitro and they will be like 1 or more miles away.
Im a bit disapointed about this game to be honest.
And the worst thing ever, interior details goes from highquality to low quality shit levels.
They still uses the same old previous before Shift lowpoly meshes.

EA knows how to disapoint us.

And now this game has followed GTA4's path: No AA.
Game looks ugly and shitty with these jaggies in distance.

Hawk
11-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Not in the least. After playing the beta I went from interested to not buying. Nothing is different but the location. They didn't even try. I do appreciate they are bringing Oahu over from TDU1, but no thanks.

Hot Pursuit (2010) is not difficult. I am getting Golds in every event as a Racer and a Cop. The only exceptions are the Racer time trials.

I am playing the PC and 360 version simultaneously. More the 360 version first. The game does feel it's best online with real people, but the career events are varied in a way they seem interesting.

I do think the game needs Checkpoint or Lap races at least.

Myojinoir
11-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Let`s just rename this game to Blur (http://www.blurgame.com/home) 2, it makes sense.
Like i said in a previous thread, the game is fun, but it is not NFS.

m3gtrtopdriver
11-22-2010, 11:01 AM
The bad handling with the keyboard is probably due to the fact that this game was designed first for the consoles then ported to the PC, so keyboard players weren't really taken into consideration. I'm really sorry for those who have to put up with this shit without an analog device, because the cars handle like boats (very much like in NFSHP2, in fact, which I believe was Criterion's main source of inspiration).

Well to me, keyboard handling is better than analog handling as far as NFS games are concerned. The main reason to this is that even though I have played NFS Carbon, MW, U2 and Prostreet on my PS2 I find the keyboard to be sharper than the analog controller. I feel more comfortable with the keyboard because I've had much experience. On the PC I've played every NFS game, Juiced 2, TDU (and others) which in my opinion are far better than HP2010. When playing Gran Turismo 4 the analog controller is brilliant! So the keyboard isn't much of an issue to me. I do know some people who cannot put up with the keyboard and sort refuge to XBOX 360 controllers instead.

m3gtrtopdriver
11-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Zpectre have you noticed a bug in HP2010? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6wulZCPbng
The uploader said that it occured whilst recording at low settings. The same thing happens to me despite the fact that I'm playing at the highest settings. Criterion needs to fix many issues with this game. What were they thinking? What they've done was to make this NFS title very non NFS-ish since nothing reminds me of High Stakes or Porsche Unleashed.
Thanks Criterion, much appreciated.

POMELO
11-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Porewups? What the ****!? REALLY?

m3gtrtopdriver
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Porewups? What the ****!? REALLY?

No power ups but the game is constantly prompting you to use your nitrous, which requires zero skill. This game does not reward players who are actually skilled or very skilled.

Zpectre
11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Well to me, keyboard handling is better than analog handling as far as NFS games are concerned. The main reason to this is that even though I have played NFS Carbon, MW, U2 and Prostreet on my PS2 I find the keyboard to be sharper than the analog controller. I feel more comfortable with the keyboard because I've had much experience. On the PC I've played every NFS game, Juiced 2, TDU (and others) which in my opinion are far better than HP2010. When playing Gran Turismo 4 the analog controller is brilliant! So the keyboard isn't much of an issue to me. I do know some people who cannot put up with the keyboard and sort refuge to XBOX 360 controllers instead.

I used to play with keyboard until Prostreet. When Prostreet was released I couldn't adapt to its physics with a keyboard, so I just switched to a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad instead. I used that until I bought my Xbox 360 controller last year. I still got my Rumblepad but I no longer use it since it requires batteries, though I do miss it because I had a good config for TDU which had the clutch easily accessible. And yes, it was a digital clutch. :P

Playing with a keyboard in MW and Carbon doesn't leave you at a disavantage. I also heard it's the fastest peripheral in Undercover.

Hawk
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
No power ups but the game is constantly prompting you to use your nitrous, which requires zero skill. This game does not reward players who are actually skilled or very skilled.

Welcome to NFS Underground to NFS Undercover...nothing new there

Double Mac
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM

The Black Box games at least present you with an option not to install N2O in the first place and win races regardless.

Zpectre's, Myojinoir's & Suby's accounts seem to suggest a strikingly different approach in this case.

Zpectre
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM

You can win without nitrous in those games. Unlike in HP2010.

POMELO
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I still prefering the classic Hot Pursuit.

Hawk
11-22-2010, 02:14 PM

It's very difficult in career mode. But I have found myself winning races online without using nitrous at all.

NJ (XJ220)
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm surprised to see people needed to first play this game rather than watch one or two review-videos to see how 'different' it is. Yes, the physics are absolutely arcade, unrealistic and just very very slightly 'characteristic' for some types of cars. Graphics need FSAA, no doubt, with some cars more than with others. Racer AI is okay, nothing special. And some people experience technical difficulties - I personally have to reconfigure my controller (KEYBOARD!) setup every time I restart the game.

Does this make me regret my pre-ordered purchase? Not at all.

I didn't expect a different gameplay simply because it's exactly the way it looked like in every preview video I watched. It's unrealistic, but not that much different compared to NFS6:HP2 - you even had helicopters there dropping exploding barrels. HP2010 is very dynamic, with an adapting 'rubberband' AI (which is a feature I normally absolutely despise but find rather necessary here), nice effects and a great multiplayer mode - especially interceptor mode kicks *** if you're playing with a friend who puts up a nice fight.

That having said I wonder how there can be people who bought the game and now complain about its content - why did you buy it without informing yourself about it?

m3gtrtopdriver
11-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Bloody right mate!

Sir Tristan
11-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh no, I am not liking this... There is plenty wrong with this game.

...still buying it anyway. Looks sexy as ****.

If it disappoints my childhood memories then I'll be pissed. If HP2 soundtrack doesn't work, I'll seriously be pissed.
I can understand what they tried to do with the Nitrous and its different uses etc... but seriously, they SHOULD have considered no-powerups race options, like a different racemode - 'NFS Classic'. The only cop powerup being the Roadblock and tactically bringing a vehicle to a stop getting you more points than destroying it (kinda like APB's non-lethal shit etc).

Hawk
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM

If it disappoints my childhood memories then I'll be pissed. If HP2 soundtrack doesn't work, I'll seriously be pissed.
I can understand what they tried to do with the Nitrous and its different uses etc... but seriously, they SHOULD have considered no-powerups race options, like a different racemode - 'NFS Classic'. The only cop powerup being the Roadblock and tactically bringing a vehicle to a stop getting you more points than destroying it (kinda like APB's non-lethal shit etc).

There are events in CAREER where as a Cop and as a Racer you are stripped of weapons. It's rare, but they do exist.

As far as ONLINE goes, only Races exist without the weapons. But Hot Pursuit and Interceptor races have weapons, (as far as i know) no options to turn them off or disable them.

Sir Tristan
11-22-2010, 02:53 PM
As far as ONLINE goes, only Races exist without the weapons. But Hot Pursuit and Interceptor races have weapons, (as far as i know) no options to turn them off or disable them.

In theory, then, one could have a gentleman's agreement not to use Nitrous. Correct?

Myojinoir
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
And so, after long days of meditating and gathering the thoughts about NFS HP together, it`s time to blow.

By power-ups we`re not referring to Nos, we`re referring to EMPs, to freaking deployable spikestrips, to Turbo and all that junk. Whats wrong with recycling old game mechanics instead of coming up with some weird mumbo-jumbo? 5 deployable spikestrips, each weighs about... hmm, 30kg`s, imagine a mass of 150kg`s in the back of a Veyron, next to the engine... rubbish. Even if it`s an arcade, you can`t just go berserk, it`s not cool and kids hate uncool stuff.

I`d actually prefer if some of the racer-available cars, go figure which, and cops had a Nos !upgrade!, like the racers did in NFSU(which has the best kind of Nitro in games EVER and yet), which you could either install or not.
Jammer upgrade has been rotting in my mind for a very long time now and i wished for somebody to actually use it, i was looking forward to it in NFSHP, but they failed to meet my expectations(if there was a video somewhere out there showing how the jammer works in NFSHP, before the game came out, i missed it). My idea about how the jammer should work, comes from an old SNes game, called "Lamborghini", go check it out and play through it if you can get a copy of this retro shit, it actually has a lot that the next NFS game, after Shift2, could learn from imo.

As for the police, sure in HP2, the flaming barrels were rubbish, but at least it wasn`t emp`s and deployable freaking spikestrips(i tend to say that a lot), there were good looking roadblocks and spikestrips set up to slow you down and/or to stop you completely + there was a way to get away from the cops, but in this game they keep at you no matter what you do till death parts you.
Also there`s no consequence if you run over that spikestrip, so it slows you down for a second, so what? You charge with Nos and turbo to 400+ km/h and act as if you never hit that spikestrip. Ohohoh, you bad, bad cop boys, that felt like a bump there, too bad my tires are made of titanium, 1o1.
With that said, I dislike how the game feels childish and immature, kids don`t like that stuff anymore, kids like gore and blood splattering everywhere, so give them that... oh wait, wrong game. Make a serious game for once and cut that sci-fi approach, teaching our kids rubbish like you could survive an EMP charge without dire consequences...

Hawk
11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
In theory, then, one could have a gentleman's agreement not to use Nitrous. Correct?

In theory. Same goes with Interceptors because those are One on One matches: 1 Racer, 1 Cop. Can agree not to use weapons against each other.

Hawk
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
And so, after long days of meditating and gathering the thoughts about NFS HP together, it`s time to blow.

By power-ups we`re not referring to Nos, we`re referring to EMPs, to freaking deployable spikestrips, to Turbo and all that junk. Whats wrong with recycling old game mechanics instead of coming up with some weird mumbo-jumbo? 5 deployable spikestrips, each weighs about... hmm, 30kg`s, imagine a mass of 150kg`s in the back of a Veyron, next to the engine... rubbish. Even if it`s an arcade, you can`t just go berserk, it`s not cool and kids hate uncool stuff...

...As for the police, sure in HP2, the flaming barrels were rubbish, but at least it wasn`t emp`s and deployable freaking spikestrips(i tend to say that a lot), there were good looking roadblocks and spikestrips set up to slow you down and/or to stop you completely + there was a way to get away from the cops, but in this game they keep at you no matter what you do till death parts you.
Also there`s no consequence if you run over that spikestrip, so it slows you down for a second, so what? You charge with Nos and turbo to 400+ km/h and act as if you never hit that spikestrip. Ohohoh, you bad, bad cop boys, that felt like a bump there, too bad my tires are made of titanium, 1o1.
With that said, I dislike how the game feels childish and immature, kids don`t like that stuff anymore, kids like gore and blood splattering everywhere, so give them that... oh wait, wrong game. Make a serious game for once and cut that sci-fi approach, teaching our kids rubbish like you could survive an EMP charge without dire consequences...

Need I remind you that in Need For Speed 3 the cops had REGENERATING Spike Strips? True, the racers had no such option. But infinite, regenerating spike strips is a weapon the cops have had.

Myojinoir
11-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah and then that other one screws you over by actually using it, Oh sorry buddy, i accidentally pushed that spikestrip button, didn`t mean to, right.
Also, i`m not saying the cops should have limited amounts of spikestrips to CALL for, that need to be deployed to a near location, not deployable from the car.

Hawk
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah and then that other one screws you over by actually using it, Oh sorry buddy, i accidentally pushed that spikestrip button, didn`t mean to, right.
Also, i`m not saying the cops should have limited amounts of spikestrips to CALL for, that need to be deployed to a near location, not deployable from the car.

Well in HP (2010) they are limited depending on the event. In NFSIII:HP they were unlimited, regenerating, and deployable from the car as well.

Myojinoir
11-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Well in HP (2010) they are limited depending on the event. In NFSIII:HP they were unlimited, regenerating, and deployable from the car as well.

Really? Truly, that sucks then. Quite disapointing.

CVPI19
11-22-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey there were also limited in Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 as well just like in other versions Hot Pursuit (2010) not including the Wii version.

Myojinoir
11-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Wait a second, it seems Hawk got me wrong there, what i meant by deployable in this case was that the car you drive, itself, drops the spikestrips onto the road. That couldn`t have been in the old HP.

LiveToPorsche
11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Wait a second, it seems Hawk got me wrong there, what i meant by deployable in this case was that the car you drive, itself, drops the spikestrips onto the road. That couldn`t have been in the old HP.

Oh but it was.
Dropped out right behind you, so you had to position it carefully, and then whizz your car over to fill the rest of the gap in the road so they had to go through the spike strip.

NFSHSforever
11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I was one of the first here to play the demo and what did I say about the handling lol

Zpectre
11-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Before I forget, my review (which isn't really a review since I haven't completed the game) doesn't cover the online aspect of the game. I don't like playing online.

If you can, buy it for console, because on PC it looks disgraceful due to the lack of AA support. And I own a GTX 260, which is no slouch.

Need I remind you that in Need For Speed 3 the cops had REGENERATING Spike Strips? True, the racers had no such option. But infinite, regenerating spike strips is a weapon the cops have had.

In NFS3 it was also you vs. 6 racers so the regenerating spike strips were quite necessary.

The old games were infinitely better, heck HS had a cop system that HP2010 can't even dream of having. NFS3, as old as it is, had better physics, accurate car performance, more challenging tracks, photorealistic dash view, difference between manual and automatic transmission (go play with the Corvette to see what I mean), a damn single race mode, way better music, better menus... The new game is a disgrace to the "Hot Pursuit" name. This is why I always refer to the new game as HP2010, to emphasise it's not the old HP.

In NFS3 there were no fancy helicopters dropping spike strips for you, so that kinda evens it out.

_BLAHHEAD_
11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
I tried it on a PC, and my opinion has quite a few differences from yours. But let's start off with the similarities. You definitely need to use boost/ nitro/ whatever it is. However, that's mostly in time attacks if you don't bother going on shortcuts. The blatant catch-up is there, but compared to the two other arcade racers I play, it's nothing. The random burnout at the beginning of a race are pointless and the menu/loading screens are way too abundant. Now to the differences.

Hard? Not at all, besides this one race where you had to use the 200mph tugboat known as the Continental GT SS. Pretty much every race, by the half way point, I stay first, and that's occasionally with no nitro used from that point. The cars handling like a sloppy brick? Not exactly, many are in fact quite nice to drive around, like the Lamborghinis, the SLR Stirling Moss and the Mclaren F1 to name a few. The steering is a bit heavier than other games, but I much prefer it to the over-sensitive handling of TDU.

Graphics, I'll note that I wasn't playing on the most graphically powerful PC out there right now. They are simply put, great. AA? Oh wait, that computer was optimized for gaming, so the overclocking tool got that covered. The reflections and lighting is superb, and the scenery is detailed. There is a few low quality textures, but they are outside the track where you won't see unless you crash out.

Police chases, since I'm a gold medal hunter, I tend to use just go burnout on them and use whatever equipment I have. But in the interceptor mode, the only police equipment I use is the roadblock, and since they give you so much time, I stop the racer rather than bashing the hell out of them.

Sounds, I've seen a few complaints about this, but the only major problem I found was that the rain/ splashing sound is too loud. Ever went through a tunnel? It's just beautiful.

As I had said before, this game is different, which to some is considered a terrible thing. The game is not bad by any means, and is probably one of the best racers I've played. BTW, I agree with one more thing: this doesn't feel like regular, or old NFS, it feels like a NFS-Burnout hybrid.

junh1024
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
I played this game for a bit at a friend's house, and I was a bit disappointed that there isn't a speedbreaker (MW, UC, etc) or a way to reverse time (Evo GT, GRID, DiRT 2, etc). It would've been very helpful at times.

Hawk
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
In NFS3 it was also you vs. 6 racers so the regenerating spike strips were quite necessary.

The old games were infinitely better, heck HS had a cop system that HP2010 can't even dream of having. NFS3, as old as it is, had better physics, accurate car performance, more challenging tracks, photorealistic dash view, difference between manual and automatic transmission (go play with the Corvette to see what I mean), a damn single race mode, way better music, better menus... The new game is a disgrace to the "Hot Pursuit" name. This is why I always refer to the new game as HP2010, to emphasise it's not the old HP.

In NFS3 there were no fancy helicopters dropping spike strips for you, so that kinda evens it out.

I'm not saying that at all. I love the original Hot Pursuit and High Stakes. Those two games alone I've spent so much time on as a teen.

However, I would not go as far to say as better physics. Not in the least. All the rest you mentioned is better and more traditional PC gaming and setup.

I think this new Hot Pursuit is intense and provides something we don't see in games today and is better than the garbage that was Underground.

Double Mac
11-23-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm not saying that at all.

No? Then where the heck did this come from:

(…) Guys, I've been playing NFS III lately and it honestly isn't that great. I think Criterion has done the best they can to capture the feeling of the old Hot Pursuit.

Had a recent change of heart or something?

Regarding that second sentence… when your relationship with an employer is about to be severed and you’re bracing yourself to take a glance at your references, be on the lookout for the phrase “performed his duties to the best of his ability”. Because it’s merely a cunning way of saying that, while your actual abilities may have been far from impressive, you had, uhm, good intentions or, well, tried “the best you could”.

ORIGINAL CONCLUSION: If those Criterion jokers lack the qualifications (or, indeed, the ability) to offer a half-decent arcade racing game worthy of the NFS tag, they should just stick to Burnout.

CENSORED CONCLUSION: Criterion should just stick to Burnout.

m3gtrtopdriver
11-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Criterion should just stick to Burnout.

Correct.

NJ (XJ220)
11-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Not only that, but they are also 'intelligent' meaning they'll only hit racers, the police can race right through them without even noticing. That's different in HP2010 where they affect both speeders and cops. Moreover in the latter, they damage your car (which suits the system pretty well, IMO), in HP and HS they instantly take the car that hits them out. At least in HP2 (which I really hate apart from its graphics), they work in quite a realistic way since your tires run flat and your car is slowed down severely.

Hawk
11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
No? Then where the heck did this come from:

Had a recent change of heart or something?

Regarding that second sentence… when your relationship with an employer is about to be severed and you’re bracing yourself to take a glance at your references, be on the lookout for the phrase “performed his duties to the best of his ability”. Because it’s merely a cunning way of saying that, while your actual abilities may have been far from impressive, you had, uhm, good intentions or, well, tried “the best you could”.

Criterion should just stick to Burnout.

Not that great =/= bad

I think the game still holds up (for the most part) and is entertaining. But gaming has evolved and parts of it doesn't hold up well. ESPECIALLY the physics. The cars DO NOT TOUCH THE GROUND. But it's a classic and was a huge part of my PC gaming in the late 90s.

And for someone who's NEVER played the final version, you have a lot to say on every matter regarding Hot Pursuit (2010). That's called being PREJUDICE. Not as extreme as to human beings, but that is what you are. Don't say you've seen videos that tell you everything you need to do. Because if that's the case you should never need to play any video game for yourself. Just watch it on YouTube.

AJ_Lethal
11-23-2010, 03:31 PM
And for someone who's NEVER played the final version, you have a lot to say on every matter regarding Hot Pursuit (2010). That's called being PREJUDICE. Not as extreme as to human beings, but that is what you are. Don't say you've seen videos that tell you everything you need to do. Because if that's the case you should never need to play any video game for yourself. Just watch it on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tUt_vB0aU

Exception to the rule. Some times shit is so smelly that you can smell it 1 mile and you dont need to be a dog.

Hawk
11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tUt_vB0aU

Exception to the rule. Some times shit is so smelly that you can smell it 1 mile and you dont need to be a dog.

Well okay. The Wii version LOOKS terrible, but all I'll say. My ONLY experience is with the PC and 360 versions.

Zpectre
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Not that great =/= bad

I think the game still holds up (for the most part) and is entertaining. But gaming has evolved and parts of it doesn't hold up well. ESPECIALLY the physics. The cars DO NOT TOUCH THE GROUND. But it's a classic and was a huge part of my PC gaming in the late 90s.

Physics are still better than HP2010's, which are a horrible mix of HP2 with Burnout Paradise.

Videos, while not telling the whole story, give enough information that you can tell sometimes whether a game is good or bad, or just suits your needs. Also, have you considered that he may not have access to the console demos and may not want to spend money on this turd of a game just to try it and shelve it 10 minutes later?

NJ (XJ220)
11-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Physics are still better than HP2010's, which are a horrible mix of HP2 with Burnout Paradise.[...]
What's your definition of "better"? If I recall correctly, in HP your car felt like a rock attached to the track, heavily understeering and absolutely zero possibility of oversteering (except when using the handbrake, of course). And when you crashed into traffic cars or police cruisers, no matter what your speed was, they wouldn't move an inch. I wouldn't call HP2010's physics that much more realistic, but that doesn't make them inferior to those of HP for me. Moreover, at least at the moment, I'd call them much more entertaining. I even prefer the physics of NFS2(SE), simply because you can lose control of your car there - something you don't see in HP or HS (not sure about PU).

AJ_Lethal
11-25-2010, 11:17 AM
^Now i remember: physics looks like NFSIISE while playing in arcade/wild mode (even the lolhuge drifts and crashes with trucks)

Zpectre
11-25-2010, 02:12 PM
What's your definition of "better"? If I recall correctly, in HP your car felt like a rock attached to the track, heavily understeering and absolutely zero possibility of oversteering (except when using the handbrake, of course). And when you crashed into traffic cars or police cruisers, no matter what your speed was, they wouldn't move an inch. I wouldn't call HP2010's physics that much more realistic, but that doesn't make them inferior to those of HP for me. Moreover, at least at the moment, I'd call them much more entertaining. I even prefer the physics of NFS2(SE), simply because you can lose control of your car there - something you don't see in HP or HS (not sure about PU).

Better as in more pleasant to drive (not necessarily more realistic).

In PU you could lose your car, try driving a fully upgraded 964 Turbo. ;)

rcgldr
11-25-2010, 03:49 PM
On the PC version, how much of the bad handling is due to the large deadzone for analog controllers. Someone posted a workaround here; what is the handling like with the workaround?

Sir Tristan
11-26-2010, 09:03 AM

Lose my car? I did drive a 964 turbo fully upgraded.

And it kept in check.

PU's handling was weird, even with a 928 or 944 turbo I couldn't get the back end to slide even a slight bit without the handbrake...

SubyRS
11-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I was one of the first here to play the demo and what did I say about the handling lol

I was the first one just about everywhere to play the full retail game and what did I say about the handling and controls? LOL. I one-up'd you there!

Anyway, in the past it has always been fun for me to get new racing games early and answer peoples eager questions and post pics, as long as it was not spoiling it for others. That always worked because the games were good, and everyone was happy and looking forward to the release day.

But with a game like this it was no fun to get the game early. I really tried to like it. But I knew in two minutes gameplay that I had just scruued myself out of $65. So I concentrated on the games presentation, thinking the controls were bound to improve with better cars. But relaying the game experience to others that did not have it yet was tedious, because in most cases, I was relaying what they did not want to hear.

More and more marketing from EA is outright lies. Like the totally 'free' game NFS World originally. And now this game that goes back to the NFS franchise roots? Other than the car showcases and some stolen courses fromm HP2, I don't see it.

NJ (XJ220)
11-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Better as in more pleasant to drive (not necessarily more realistic).
This just proves again that tastes do differ. At least nowadays, I prefer what HP2010 offers even though I loved HP back in the day (probably much more than HP2010).
I don't think I ever drove a 964 (don't like its front-end *hides from Freak-DS*) - but the GT1 shouldn't be easier to control and I don't remember ever losing control over it. Just like Sir Tristan said, cars were very stable there (like in HP and HS).

Zpectre
11-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think I ever drove a 964 (don't like its front-end *hides from Freak-DS*) - but the GT1 shouldn't be easier to control and I don't remember ever losing control over it. Just like Sir Tristan said, cars were very stable there (like in HP and HS).

Nils, the GT1 was one of the easiest cars to drive in the game! ;) Ok, maybe not as easy as the AWD 996 variants, but still easy.

The GT1 is way more planted than a 964. The reason is downforce. The 964 Turbo had problems with traction off the line and was very dangerous in corners if you didn't know how to drive the car. The only car comparable in difficulty was the 930 Turbo.

Sir Tristan
11-27-2010, 01:43 AM
The 964 Turbo had problems with traction off the line and was very dangerous in corners if you didn't know how to drive the car. The only car comparable in difficulty was the 930 Turbo.

See what I missed in Porsche 2000 was that feeling. 'Shit I'll spin out any second' etc. In Porsche's interior view there was no emotion virtually, 996s vere as quiet as S-classes inside. 'Hardness of steering' was conveyed by enormous amounts of understeer, in every car that's 'hard' to drive...

They did that in Shift, but in excess. The interior noises of cornering, cages and general rally build squeaks, even in a SL65 at a leisurely stroll 6th gear, 130km/h (where the car should be as relaxed as a hybernating bear on valium), annoyed me. Interior deafening didn't differ from super interior upgrade packages. That annoyed me also.

It's appropriate in race-prep cars on the limit, not stock ones.

In a new NFS I'd like to see

appollo four fourty
11-28-2010, 09:53 PM
HP 2010 on ps3 the shit. Is it going back to the classics...no. Can I give a **** after playing this massive cops vs robbers insanity. No. So there, its no HS but its dam good.

MDH
11-29-2010, 01:21 AM
I am honestly disgusted at the rubber-band AI. It seems as though rubber-band sets up a scenario which will play out no matter how well you race. For instance, there will always be one "rival car" who will catch up to you.

When I am risking myself driving in the wrong lane on purpose on a busy highway nearly crashing into hundreds of cars in order to maintain boost and top speed, and the AI is on the right hand side with two police cars chasing him, I do not expect him to be able to magically catch up to and surpass me.

NFSHSforever
11-29-2010, 02:40 PM
I am honestly disgusted at the rubber-band AI. It seems as though rubber-band sets up a scenario which will play out no matter how well you race. For instance, there will always be one "rival car" who will catch up to you.

When I am risking myself driving in the wrong lane on purpose on a busy highway nearly crashing into hundreds of cars in order to maintain boost and top speed, and the AI is on the right hand side with two police cars chasing him, I do not expect him to be able to magically catch up to and surpass me.

Another thing I noticed when you are the cop it's nearly impossible to catch up to the first racer before busting the ones before him, once you bust the one in the back suddenly the one in front slows down enough for you to catch up

luchadolittle
11-30-2010, 03:29 AM
I tried it on a PC, and my opinion has quite a few differences from yours. But let's start off with the similarities. You definitely need to use boost/ nitro/ whatever it is. However, that's mostly in time attacks if you don't bother going on shortcuts. The blatant catch-up is there, but compared to the two other arcade racers I play, it's nothing. The random burnout at the beginning of a race are pointless and the menu/loading screens are way too abundant. Now to the differences.

Hard? Not at all, besides this one race where you had to use the 200mph tugboat known as the Continental GT SS. Pretty much every race, by the half way point, I stay first, and that's occasionally with no nitro used from that point. The cars handling like a sloppy brick? Not exactly, many are in fact quite nice to drive around, like the Lamborghinis, the SLR Stirling Moss and the Mclaren F1 to name a few. The steering is a bit heavier than other games, but I much prefer it to the over-sensitive handling of TDU.

Graphics, I'll note that I wasn't playing on the most graphically powerful PC out there right now. They are simply put, great. AA? Oh wait, that computer was optimized for gaming, so the overclocking tool got that covered. The reflections and lighting is superb, and the scenery is detailed. There is a few low quality textures, but they are outside the track where you won't see unless you crash out.

Police chases, since I'm a gold medal hunter, I tend to use just go burnout on them and use whatever equipment I have. But in the interceptor mode, the only police equipment I use is the roadblock, and since they give you so much time, I stop the racer rather than bashing the hell out of them.

Sounds, I've seen a few complaints about this, but the only major problem I found was that the rain/ splashing sound is too loud. Ever went through a tunnel? It's just beautiful.

As I had said before, this game is different, which to some is considered a terrible thing. The game is not bad by any means, and is probably one of the best racers I've played. BTW, I agree with one more thing: this doesn't feel like regular, or old NFS, it feels like a NFS-Burnout hybrid.
completely agree with u, this is acturally 1 of the best game ive played for this gen graphics, only thing i hate is the car tire sound when starting

Meastro444
11-30-2010, 07:09 AM
it 930 was a ***** to control (at least for me) with the high speed gearbox mounted on it. With the low speed gearbox (thus better acceleration) it was easy.

DKBrigzs
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I played this game for a bit at a friend's house, and I was a bit disappointed that there isn't a speedbreaker (MW, UC, etc) or a way to reverse time (Evo GT, GRID, DiRT 2, etc). It would've been very helpful at times.

yes speedbreakers are out, nitros are so easy to fill, and what the hell,
why there are so many trees coming in my screen,

hp2010 is very disappointing they say it is realistic, but not, the drift is like carbon to me well its ok
but why drifting makes you slow at corners? just put UG2's handling on it! and the drift cars
R34, rx7, AE86, and other cars, this is a waste of money and time playing this,

NJ (XJ220)
12-02-2010, 07:35 AM
[...]hp2010 is very disappointing they say it is realistic, but not[...]
Who calls this game realistic?

Sir Tristan
12-02-2010, 09:28 AM
If you can, buy it for console, because on PC it looks disgraceful due to the lack of AA support. And I own a GTX 260, which is no slouch.

Shit dude, I'm only getting PS3 in February...

I'll buy it for PC on Christmas, and if its performance on my laptop (top games caught up to it by now and overtook it) is unsatisfactory, I'll hopefully return it to the shop and get a PS3 ASAP.

GT5
12-02-2010, 01:39 PM
I picked up the game yesterday before I read this. I agree 100% with Zpectre. I don't need to retype everything. The AA part of the is quite stupid, how dumb can you be? The graphics are a nice jump because of the realism, but just the little shit ****s it up. And one of my first races was a major, wow, what kind of Reventon has suspension so soft? Eh, this game makes no sense. Why can't these guys use Project Gotham as an example of what they should be doing? Add cops, who cares, just don't **** up to the point to where the game is shitty....er

MDH
12-03-2010, 02:51 AM
One other thing that is bothering me is that random traffic cars will "swerve" in a random direction as you pass them to avoid you. In time trials, this will mean a random traffic car you are passing will suddenly decide to drive into you right as you go by and cause a spectacular crash at 200mph. I know traffic has done this in other Need for Speeds, but it was usually "away" from you:Facepalm:.

I've restarted the Bugatti time trials ten times now because of it.

DKBrigzs
12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
i will not be surprise if this game will be crack to make it even more better, just upgrade UG2 with cops and mountains, more traffic with exotics and japs car, it would be better if all cars in the world are there, to the oldies to new ones. and the best part will be the tuning,

Sir Tristan
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I know this thread is old, but I felt this it would be good to put this in:
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/3ccce7b8-a7a8-467d-8194-56e775123117.jpg

AJ_Lethal
01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
^
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5998/empblastupyoass.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/i/empblastupyoass.jpg/)