View Full Version : Isn't ea going into loss with this?

MR.JS
03-20-2011, 06:19 AM
they let people download a full version game for free,the people can play it forever without paying a single penny.aren't they going into a loss with world?

Competizione
03-20-2011, 06:27 AM
There still are microtransactions like buying speedboost for real life cash. Things like that still make it profitable. No starterpack = more players, more players = more microtransactions, you figure it out: more money.

Spyke
03-20-2011, 06:37 AM
they let people download a full version game for free,the people can play it forever without paying a single penny.aren't they going into a loss with world?

i think no. EA have already think this over and over and i think they have some reasons why they let it. If we were just a business man thinker then we will figure out the logic why they let it free.

LoLZeR
03-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Actually, who was going to loss was Black Box, if wasnt these microtransations

Sinister
03-20-2011, 08:22 AM
In-game advertisements.

Competizione
03-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Oh, you mean like the T-Mobile and car adds on billboards in the game world?

Sinister
03-20-2011, 03:24 PM
That's correct, everyone who's logged in sees at least one billboard, so think of how many people are in the game, and how many billboards are seen per person.

FOX
03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
It's obvious that EA have been around long enough to know how to rake in the cash.

Schaefft
03-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Well, its the current trend. EA earns money through micro transactions, pretty much exactly the same way like zynga earns money with farmville and all the other millions of social- and browsergames. People pay small amounts of money to get ingame services or items or things that save them time. Im not sure if NFS-World generates enought revenue right now, but atleast it was planned like that. Believe it or not, games like farmville or cartown are way!!! more profitable than the best console titles. The more people play them (they are free for a reason), the more profit. I heard pretty interesting stuff from someone working in a company like zynga.

Spyke
03-21-2011, 03:49 AM
In-game advertisements.

i agree with you. they also make money with the advertisements seen on the game.

RedTwentyFour
03-21-2011, 06:36 AM
its about 9 cent per visible advertisement, a standard user sees like 30 in one game session (your estimated typical time that you spend ingame without ending or restarting it) - theres around 20.000 + people playing at once all the time, its a good money making machine.

thats an estimation only, could be more too, depending on the day, time, and location.

Spyke
03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Just what i have thought. EA already over think this. Its pure business.

U813
09-10-2011, 01:20 PM

The whole game there was hardly any money spent on it. The game itself uses assets and cars from both need for speed underground and most wanted. The city, tracks, roads, cars, most of them are directly ripped from previous NFS games. If anything EA put as little money into NFSworld as possible. The world is exactly the same as most wanted. You should go load up most wanted and free roam the tracks. You should be able to recognize they directly ripped the content from most wanted and a hodge podge of other NFS games and stuck it all in NFSWorld.

The real shame is that NFSworld is nowhere near as good as most wanted since the forced RPG element and part collecting. Also the cars in NFSWorld have hardly any weight at all. In games like Most wanted you couldn't just turn without a lot of hard to control sliding for heavier cars that is not present in NFSworld.

If anything NFSworld has reduced difficulty in car handling, most likely to help newbies and keep the flow of the game from becoming too difficult for most people.

Elle
09-10-2011, 01:25 PM
they make money with NFS World because a lot of people play it. there are ads in it, there is the speedboost, the cars you can buy, and the game itself that brings money just by being played online, facebook etc, their own website. the only way the lose money is those people that think it's okay to steal their money by cheating. and since there are a lot of those people you might be right by saying they are losing money. but it's not their fault.

T0MMY
09-10-2011, 01:43 PM
if i'm correct EA earns the same amount of money they earn in making a full size retail game like SHIFT 2, Battlefield, and other games.

Basically all F2P games are Pay 2 Win, you cant use a Porsche 959 to beat a Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

rcgldr
09-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Until EA/BB started working on "The Run", there was nothing else for the team to work on anyway. My guess is that the original plan for NFS World was to be a low budget, low cost game at $20 for the starter pack. The announcement of selling boost to buy some in game content came after the first few Betas back in March 2010, and I'm not sure if this was an afterthought by someone in the team. Originally free to play players were limited to level 10, in order to sell starter packs. It would have been better to restrict the free to play players to tier 1 cars. Eventually EA/BB removed the level cap and started focusing on ways to sell boost. The big change was version 5, and performance parts, where there's little chance of winning the parts from races. Parts can also be obtained by gambling for them with real money, buying card packs with relatively low odds of getting the best parts. Some players have spent over $100 gambling for parts, but I don't know what percentage of players have spent more than $20.

Now most of the EA/BB team is working on "The Run", with a minimum crew working on NFS World. The overhead for the current crew is small, so they don't need to make a lot of money, although the entire focus of the game seems to be selling boost. Almost all of the new stuff is just boost exclusive cars and no new modes or areas released. The textures for the area with the remaining 2 connnector roads that link Kempton, Palmont, and Rockport were done November 2010, 10 months ago, but that area still isn't released (they need to do the physics stuff (polygons) to add the drivable surfaces to the tracks).