View Full Version : Nostalgia

ekwensu
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I see myself coming back 8 years from now, playing this game & thinking how much of a good game it was. Even whenever I play it now, it reminds me of NFS High Stakes, especially how the headlights look like at night. Its safe to say this is my second NFS High Stakes. If Criterion decides to make another NFS game, I'll be on the lookout to see how they top this one. Addicting, Great game!

T0MMY
01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
High Stakes is way better than this, the handling is crap, it feels like slot cars

AJ_Lethal
01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
High Stakes is way better than this, the handling is crap, it feels like slot cars
I feel Nitro more logical than HP2K10

inb4somebodyflamesnitro

DodgeBoy
01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
It's a shame modding for this game never took off. The graphics engine is amazing and everything else could be fixed if only somebody made tools.

yesman
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I never felt a shred of nostalgia, not once, while playing this game. A shameless clone of Burnout with liscenced cars at best, nothing more..

HP1, HS, and HP2 had something special. Maybe it was driveable cars and a pursuit system that wasnt so focused on wrecking cars...

ekwensu
01-03-2012, 09:52 PM
It's a shame modding for this game never took off. The graphics engine is amazing and everything else could be fixed if only somebody made tools.

Imagine if they somehow found a way to enable pursuit in freeroam...I'd marry this game lol

D4RKCOD3
01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Imagine if they somehow found a way to enable pursuit in freeroam...I'd marry this game lol

And driver challenges like in UG2...8)

But I personally am not a great fan of its physics engine. Nor the car list, IMO it lacks variety.

GTR
01-04-2012, 06:59 AM
I felt a lot of nostalgia too, it does feel like NFSHS a lot. It lacks its features, obviously, but the graphics make the same impression. Driving at night, the rain, the snow, the environment...it all adds up.

Gameplay-wise it's a lot more like NFSHP2 than anything. Handling is more arcade than Burnout Paradise even, and the power-ups are absolutely ridiculous.

You could easily overlook those mistakes as soon as you hear the engines and lay eyes on the scenery. Holy shit...
I gotta agree with him, 100%. The handling shouldn't be that difficult to fix. The hand movements of the driver make the dash-view pretty realistic as it is, so all it needs is better models.

This IS a great game to mod.

What I'd like to see even more, though, is mods for NFS Shift 2. EA definitely nailed with these two games. I played The Run, it was fun, realistic handling for an arcade game, great graphics, despite the desaturation. I just haven't played it enough to judge it yet.

RSR™
01-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I have played HP2010 a lot and never felt nostalgic. I only feel nostalgic when I play HP & HS (maybe I will feel if I play HP2010 ten years later :P)
Anyway, the game was decent and I really enjoyed the career mode. The other thumbs up was the car selection range, it was pretty wide. A lot of cars to choose from (doubled if you include cop cars) and many exotics (I'm an exotic fan so it was perfect for me).
It would be great if it became moddable, I would add some Ferraris right away :) Also it would be great to see a remake of Rocky Pass with HP2010 details and engine. That would make me nostalgic for sure.

Mr. Sting Ray
01-04-2012, 08:08 AM
It seems to me that HP2010 is like Rodney Dangerfield, "Just don't get no respect". That game was, is, and will always be addicting for me to play. The handling is perfect for that casual time killing I like to do. I mean seriously, if I want to play something where I need spot on realistic handling, I'll play GTR.

Competizione
01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
HP2010 is pretty much the best modern NFS I played. The car list isn't exactly my taste but other than that: cool environment, I actually like the "corners mean drifting" kind of handling and the free roam is ALOT better than any racing game you'll encounter. Ofcourse this entire thread is just made up out of opinions, so to each his own :)

ekwensu
01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
I have no problems with the handling and physics, maybe we're playing different games here but the cars on the NFSHP2010 I play don't handle like car on rails. I actually like the physics, its quite engaging and I can feel the difference between each cars' handling.

Btw I heard a rumor that NFS RUN is the last NFS in the series? I can't remember clearly because I read it on December last year, but I'll try to find the article.

D4RKCOD3
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Btw I heard a rumor that NFS RUN is the last NFS in the series? I can't remember clearly because I read it on December last year, but I'll try to find the article.

Can't say I'm sorry.

Competizione
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I have no problems with the handling and physics, maybe we're playing different games here but the cars on the NFSHP2010 I play don't handle like car on rails. I actually like the physics, its quite engaging and I can feel the difference between each cars' handling.

Try to corner WITHOUT drifting, its damn near impossible compared to lets say mw where you could corner at 200 kmh

Martin the hedgehog
01-04-2012, 10:27 PM

Show me the guy whio said this, and you'll show the liar.

Dark Stealth_Hunter
01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
I felt a lot of nostalgia too, it does feel like NFSHS a lot. It lacks its features, obviously, but the graphics make the same impression. Driving at night, the rain, the snow, the environment...it all adds up.

Gameplay-wise it's a lot more like NFSHP2 than anything. Handling is more arcade than Burnout Paradise even, and the power-ups are absolutely ridiculous.

You could easily overlook those mistakes as soon as you hear the engines and lay eyes on the scenery. Holy shit...

I gotta agree with him, 100%. The handling shouldn't be that difficult to fix. The hand movements of the driver make the dash-view pretty realistic as it is, so all it needs is better models.

This IS a great game to mod.

What I'd like to see even more, though, is mods for NFS Shift 2. EA definitely nailed with these two games. I played The Run, it was fun, realistic handling for an arcade game, great graphics, despite the desaturation. I just haven't played it enough to judge it yet.

^ This.

NFS HP2010 gave me plenty of nostalgia, but only as far back as HP2. Mixing the game in with the old NFS OSTs (TNFS SE - NFS5) made it even more awesome. Same goes for The Run, it mixes well with some music from NFSIII and NFSIV.

NFS The Run may have not been perfect, but it was still great to play, the storyline made more sense this time other than the previous NFS games that involved stealing cars, evading cops, etc. I felt like I was on a wild goose chase in those games, The Run proved to be a worthy game for me. I still play it every now and then to do community time attacks, to take photos, etc.

OH and, there are mods for Shift 2 around on the internet somewhere, if I remember correctly. There's currently a Diablo SV and XJ220 up for grabs and a few others.

~Bio

ekwensu
01-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I googled the hell out of the article but I still can't find it..I'm still looking though, I know its out there somewhere.

I've taken so many turns without drifting, its easy, either you slow down before taking the turn or head towards a turn at a manageable speed. If you pay attention to one of the tips on the loading screen, it even tells you not to drift every turn and hold your line so you don't lose too much speed. It works well on both keyboard and game pads for me. For some reason, I prefer using keyboard to drive because I have more control over the cars and they seem to move faster too.

I also tried playing The Run but after reading a review on Forbes, I backed down lol

T0MMY
01-05-2012, 07:25 PM
The rumor on last NFS doesnt mean the end of NFS, is just the end of Black Box NFS. The Run will be the last NFS from Black Box, they will focus on World more now. Other developer like Criterion Games might pick up to continue the franchise.

HP2010 controls is just bad, you can try not to drift but it feels more like having a war with the game driving physic. The lack of content in HP2010 was on of the problem as well, there are no proper quick race and the cop races are just Burnout Paradise car wrecking mode with power ups. Classic NFS is better than this.

The only thing that keep me playing this game is the photo mode, other than that this game sucks, it dont feel like NFS in anyway.

Reptillian
01-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I haven't tried NFSHP3, but judging from the video convinced me not to get it. It would be really nice if someone just fix the physics. I miss NFSHP2 PS2 version now. That was the best NFS for me despite that I have High Stakes.

Offtopic- Now if only they would create a mix of arcade and actual police chase simulator focused on having more accurate physics than the classic NFS, that would be epic.

ekwensu
01-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Well, I guess we all has different experiences with the game but mine was and still does feel worthy because I've been playing it for the past year and few months now, but I really do hope Criterion takes over from where they left off and Black Box should take a rest after all these years. Its time for a fresh take on the NFS franchise.

Ps: It'll be great if Criterion decides to release a surprise DLC for NFSHP2010...maybe like a map extension *hint hint* lol

Martin the hedgehog
01-06-2012, 02:07 AM
The Run will be the last NFS from Black Box.

Why am I so glad to hear that?

T0MMY
01-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Why am I so glad to hear that?

thats what EA said, when The Run fail, that will be the last Black Box NFS.

Competizione
01-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Games that are an insult to NFS will be gone. Good riddance

Mr. Sting Ray
01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Til then, I'll enjoy Hot Pursuit with all my dlcs.

yesman
01-06-2012, 02:40 PM

As good as that probably is, it sucks that they probably wont make a sequal to (or specifically a 3rd) Most Wanted.

But honestly, I did like HP2, MW, Carbon, and even a small bit of Undercover, possibly World. Even if some of them arent quite as good as the original games.

But I really hope Criterion isnt going to be the powerhouse developers for NFS, cause that would suck. They would turn the whole series into spinoff of burnout.

T0MMY
01-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Black Box NFS sucks most of the time but they made some great NFS like Underground to start car customization, Most Wanted with the ridiculous cop chases and Pro Street to start SHIFT franchise. I prefer SMS come back to continue making SHIFT than Criterion making slot car physic NFS but SMS is working on their own project now.

Martin the hedgehog
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Underground to start car ricing

Fixed.

BTW, legal racing on special tracks =/= NFS.

ekwensu
01-07-2012, 06:20 AM
I hope NFS never takes that risk of turning the franchise to something close to GTA. The Run tried it and failed. I hope EA learnt their lesson.

DodgeBoy
01-07-2012, 07:16 AM
NFS needs to go back to its roots. Super cars, world wide tracks and cops. Criterion tried it with Hot Pursuit but came up short because game play was lame, not enough racing modes and cars handled like they were driving on ice.

D4RKCOD3
01-07-2012, 08:50 AM
As good as that probably is, it sucks that they probably wont make a sequal to (or specifically a 3rd) Most Wanted.

A new Most Wanted, with a good Tokyo Xtreme Racer feel (but not necessarily in Japan with 1500 BHP JDM cars) would rule.

But I really hope Criterion isnt going to be the powerhouse developers for NFS, cause that would suck. They would turn the whole series into spinoff of burnout.

Agreed.

NFS needs to go back to its roots. Super cars, world wide tracks and cops. Criterion tried it with Hot Pursuit but came up short because game play was lame, not enough racing modes and cars handled like they were driving on ice.

Disagreed. HP3 was fun at least. And if NFS is meant to be an underground street racing game, please cut the crap and quit making games with a car list entirely made out of exotics, racing map only includes highway and goddamn cops use unrealistic means to detain us. Bring on muscle cars and tuners (no matter how cool exotics are, street racing wouldn't exist without those two classes), make actually realistic pursuits, with reasonable car handling, make an interesting map, with lots of urban and industrial areas, and don't ruin it with your beloved DLC, EA.

T0MMY
01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
HP2010 is fun but the fun doesnt last long, it took me 3 days to complete the single player races and 1 week to get bored on the multiplayer. Criterion Games is good at making slot cars physic but such physic is more suitable on city tracks with tight turns, I dont see the fun at drifting a Pagani Zonda Cinque at a nice big wide turn, I cant corner properly in that game. If they really plan to make Underground 3 (hope they are not making), I'll suggest Criterion Games. Such environment and driving physic is suitable for Underground 3, I dont mind seeing bunch of Evo and R34 drifting but seeing bunch of Lamborghini and Pagani drifting is just plain weird.

Mr. Sting Ray
01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
HP2010 is fun but the fun doesnt last long, it took me 3 days to complete the single player races and 1 week to get bored on the multiplayer. Criterion Games is good at making slot cars physic but such physic is more suitable on city tracks with tight turns, I dont see the fun at drifting a Pagani Zonda Cinque at a nice big wide turn, I cant corner properly in that game. If they really plan to make Underground 3 (hope they are not making), I'll suggest Criterion Games. Such environment and driving physic is suitable for Underground 3, I dont mind seeing bunch of Evo and R34 drifting but seeing bunch of Lamborghini and Pagani drifting is just plain weird.

Drift hater. Just because a car looks a certain way doesn't mean it shouldn't drift. I'm one of the few guys in northern Virginia who drifts a Camaro in a sea of 240s. And that's just the semi pro class at Hyperfest, Drift Nirvana, and 100 Drifters of December.

DodgeBoy
01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Disagreed. HP3 was fun at least. And if NFS is meant to be an underground street racing game, please cut the crap and quit making games with a car list entirely made out of exotics, racing map only includes highway and goddamn cops use unrealistic means to detain us. Bring on muscle cars and tuners (no matter how cool exotics are, street racing wouldn't exist without those two classes), make actually realistic pursuits, with reasonable car handling, make an interesting map, with lots of urban and industrial areas, and don't ruin it with your beloved DLC, EA.

I disagree with your disagreeing. NFS was never meant to be an underground street racing game. Fast and the Furious era is what ruined NFS. When EA introduced tuners into the series, it went down hill. Hot Pursuit 2 was the last real NFS game until the latest Hot Pursuit. Every game in between was ricer garbage that should have never been allowed to carry the NFS name.

Neons and Cavaliers racing against Ferraris? Please give me a break.

D4RKCOD3
01-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I disagree with your disagreeing. NFS was never meant to be an underground street racing game. Fast and the Furious era is what ruined NFS. When EA introduced tuners into the series, it went down hill. Hot Pursuit 2 was the last real NFS game until the latest Hot Pursuit. Every game in between was ricer garbage that should have never been allowed to carry the NFS name.

Dude, FnF is not true underground street racing, bar none. And if anyone is associating street racing with FnF, he/she is a poser. Period. People do race exotics, and nobody has called Neons and Cavaliers into the fight yet. Unless maybe the SRT4.

DodgeBoy
01-07-2012, 03:35 PM
The entire car list of NFS Underground is nothing but ricer cars.

Acura Integra Type R (2000)
Acura RSX (2003)
Dodge Neon (1999)
Ford Focus ZX3 (2003)
Honda Civic Si Coupe (2000)
Honda S2000 (2003)
Hyundai Tiburon GT (2003)
Mazda Miata MX5 (1999)
Mazda RX-7 (1995)
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (1999)
Mitsubishi Lancer ES (2003)
Nissan 350Z (2003)
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (2004)
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) (1999)
Peugeot 206 S16 (2003)
Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (2003)
Toyota Celica (2002)
Toyota Supra (1998)
Volkswagen Golf GTi (2003)

Underground 2 isn't that much better either. They threw a bunch of drug dealer cars into the mix.

2003 Acura RSX Type S (Only in North American version))
2004 Audi A3
2004 Audi TT
2004 Cadillac Escalade
2003 Ford Focus ZX3
2005 Ford Mustang GT
2000 Honda Civic Coupe Si (Only in North American version))
2004 Hummer H2
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
2004 Infiniti G35
2002 Lexus iS300
2004 Lincoln Navigator
1999 Mazda Miata - MX5
1995 Mazda RX-7
2004 Mazda RX-8
1999 Mitsubishi 3000 GT
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII
1993 Nissan 240sx
2003 Nissan 350Z
2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa (European version))
Peugeot 106 (European version))
2003 Peugeot 206 GTI
2004 Pontiac GTO
2004 Subaru WRX STI
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S
1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86)
1998 Toyota Supra
2003 Volkswagen Golf GTI

After those 2 games EA wised up and started throwing real cars back into the mix but at that point it was too late. They lost too many fans.

yesman
01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
How anyone can choose a Dodge Neon (erm, it is a rice box) over a Lamborghini, is beyond my understanding.

"Oh, I like driving slower then the other guy, but hey, his car is nicer"

AJ_Lethal
01-07-2012, 05:28 PM
When EA introduced tuners into the series, it went down hill.
*cough* Skyline GT-R (R34) in Japanese version of HS (Over Drivin' IV) *cough*
ww7-SPSu6Q8

*cough* Supra/RX-7/NSX in TNFS *cough*
mQmE81AxPwo
SRYk2-9EDks
A1PLW4Himg0

*cough* Over Drivin' Skyline Memorial (TNFS loaded with Skylines only) *cough*
GQ0KDekPaEY

*cough* Over Drivin' GT-R (TNFS loaded only with Nissans) *cough*
407l1oTZrso

Tuners have been with us in the old-school days, so that reason is moot.

How anyone can choose a Dodge Neon (erm, it is a rice box) over a Lamborghini, is beyond my understanding.
Put a Spoon Civic Type-R and a Diablo SV in front of me. Watch my head expode.

NFS has one of the most divided fanbases. Release a Underground-style game = old-school fans whine. And viceversa. Just release 1 game of each style every year. Oh wait...

DodgeBoy
01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
*cough* Skyline GT-R (R34) in Japanese version of HS (Over Drivin' IV) *cough*

*cough* Supra/RX-7/NSX in TNFS *cough*

*cough* Over Drivin' Skyline Memorial (TNFS loaded with Skylines only) *cough*

*cough* Over Drivin' GT-R (TNFS loaded only with Nissans) *cough*

Tuners have been with us in the old-school days, so that reason is moot.

Stock Japanese sports cars and riced out economy cars are not the same thing.

AJ_Lethal
01-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Stock Japanese sports cars and riced out economy cars are not the same thing.
And your definition of "riced out economy car" is? (just to be sure)

DodgeBoy
01-07-2012, 06:26 PM
And your definition of "riced out economy car" is? (just to be sure)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer

http://www.ricespotter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Dodge-Neon-Ricer-1.jpg
http://files.myopera.com/pinhtri/albums/174428/Volkswagen%20Golf%20GTI.jpg

AJ_Lethal
01-07-2012, 06:29 PM
^no argument in there.

T0MMY
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM

I know NFS is not Underground, I still prefer the scene where they let the players use super cars speeding the coast but what Criterion Games made is just drifting down the coast. Thats not how the NFS suppose to be, Underground was not how NFS suppose to be as well but the community has been screaming it for some time, a remake on Underground 3 might happen since it happen once when the community screaming "back to the root" EA manage to make a slot car physic classic NFS wannabe.

ekwensu
01-08-2012, 01:56 AM
That "The Need For Speed" Video with the NSX really took me back. I remember first playing it on my white Compaq computer lol...good times. It also reminds me somewhat of Mission Beach in NFSHP2010. Even though some people aren't satisfied with Criterion's take on NFS, at least we have to do give them credit for actually doing research on past games & coming up with such an addicting game. Criterion is elite so if they ever make a new NFS I'll keep my expectations at medium to medium-high.

Even though there were also good NFS games in the past, I'm still open minded enough to accept the new ones, if they are good enough. So, no matter how many people hate on NFSHP2010, I accept it for the good game it is. BTW, I think one of the reasons the NFS Underground series did well was because it came out during the hype era of Fast and Furious.

ekwensu
01-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Oh, and look at what I found. Criterion is making a sequel to NFSHP2010. Excited is an understatement for how I feel right now lol

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7911403.page

Martin the hedgehog
01-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Just a sequel to HP3? Not High Stakes? I'm dissappointed. :(

D4RKCOD3
01-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Acura RSX (2003)
Dodge Neon (1999)
Ford Focus ZX3 (2003)
Honda S2000 (2003)
Mazda Miata MX5 (1999)
Mazda RX-7 (1995)
Nissan 350Z (2003)
Peugeot 206 S16 (2003)
Toyota Celica (2002)
Toyota Supra (1998)

Ricer cars? Are you mad? It's essentially made of sport compacts and hot hatches, as well as some high performance cars. The only car there I'd call a "ricer" is the 1999 Dodge Neon. Please consider better what you say before saying it.

Underground 2 isn't that much better either. They threw a bunch of drug dealer cars into the mix.

2004 Audi A3
2004 Audi TT
2004 Cadillac Escalade
2003 Ford Focus ZX3
2005 Ford Mustang GT
2004 Hummer H2
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
2004 Infiniti G35
2002 Lexus iS300
2004 Lincoln Navigator
1999 Mazda Miata - MX5
1995 Mazda RX-7
2004 Mazda RX-8
1999 Mitsubishi 3000 GT
1993 Nissan 240sx
2003 Nissan 350Z
2003 Peugeot 206 GTI
2004 Pontiac GTO
2004 Subaru WRX STI
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S
1998 Toyota Supra
2003 Volkswagen Golf GTI

Ha. So the GTO, the TT, and the Mustang GT are drug dealer cars as well? I do admit that the '04-'07 GTO shouldn't be given that name, but other than that it's awesome.

Sir Tristan
01-08-2012, 05:47 AM
I tried not drifting in HP2010, at normal speeds with no nitrous, with a couple of cars. It felt pretty realistic, hard to work it and demanded racing techniques. Obviously that was in free roam, because you'd never win a single race that way.

Though The Run was a pleasant surprise too. In many ways very retro, in many places very reminiscent of early games without talking about roots too much.

Oh and let's settle something about Underground games shall we. They are something else and if you fail to understand it, you fail hard.

NFSU was brilliant in every way and, for me, has a replayability value higher than UG2, Carbon and Undercover combined. It truly was visceral before it was cool (in Shift2). Hipster game.

DodgeBoy
01-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Ricer cars? Are you mad? It's essentially made of sport compacts and hot hatches, as well as some high performance cars. The only car there I'd call a "ricer" is the 1999 Dodge Neon. Please consider better what you say before saying it.

You are just ignorant to the facts. Those are all ricer cars. If you want to call them hot hatches that's fine with me. That don't make them less ricer. The whole game is based on buying body kits, spoilers and goofy paint jobs.

T0MMY
01-08-2012, 07:46 AM
You are just ignorant to the facts. Those are all ricer cars. If you want to call them hot hatches that's fine with me. That don't make them less ricer. The whole game is based on buying body kits, spoilers and goofy paint jobs.

Underground 1 was the ricer era, you are force to rice all the cars but that doesnt mean hot hatchbacks is the same as ricer cars. Cars like S2000 and Integra are well known JDM machine, ricer are the way you customize a car not the type of cars.

D4RKCOD3
01-08-2012, 08:01 AM

You call a Golf GTI a ricer car, and I'm ignorant?

And BTW you're taking your rant too far. The cars themselves aren't "ricer" (right now I cannot get what the term means to you), simply some idiots find it cool to buy those cars and fill them with useless junk.
And yes, I think that NFS should continue to feature modifiable cars. I want to mod my rides. Y'know, performance mods. If you want to make a petition against EA featuring spinners, neon and sound systems in their cars then count me in.

AJ_Lethal
01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Those are all ricer cars.
The only cars in U1 that made me scratch my head were the Neon (why not the SRT-4?), the Focus ZX3 (why not the SVT/ST or the RS?), the GTI 2.0 (why not the 1.8T or the R32?), the Lancer ES (why not the Evo VII?) or the Impreza 2.5 RS -why not the WRX (STi)?-

Why these econoboxes instead of the high performance versions? Dunno.

D4RKCOD3
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
The only cars in U1 that made me scratch my head were the Neon (why not the SRT-4?), the Focus ZX3 (why not the SVT/ST or the RS?), the GTI 2.0 (why not the 1.8T or the R32?), the Lancer ES (why not the Evo VII?) or the Impreza 2.5 RS -why not the WRX (STi)?-

Well, apart from the Neon and Lancer, those are only econoboxes in the strict sense of the word when compared to their big brothers.

Martin the hedgehog
01-08-2012, 10:49 PM

For more realizm. :Facepalm:
Will real world streetraicer use high performance version instead of econoboxes? Of course not, because he has to pay extra money, that he was able to spend on some flashing neons, decals and windows tint. And if they look similiar, why the hell he needs to pay more?

Competizione
01-09-2012, 12:41 AM
You call a Golf GTI a ricer car, and I'm ignorant?

I spat out my orange juice reading this. You're European and you're saying a Golf GTI is NOT a ricer car? GTFO

ekwensu
01-09-2012, 03:36 AM
lol guys try chilling out. This is about NFSHP2010 not Underground. If Criterion could hear me out, there are a few things I would like in the next Hot Pursuit game. That is: a bigger map, add a city, be able to drive on snow covered roads, have pursuit & single race mode in free roam ( driving up to NPC players and starting a random race or speeding past a parked cop car then getting chased would be awesome), ANTI-ALIASING, being able to take dream shots without having to be online or logged on autolog, louder more ferocious engine sounds, I'd ask for first person view but that wouldn't make sense because I'd miss the action happening around my car, I want to be able to drive backwards in a pursuit and have the cops follow me wherever I go, instead of just forward. And finally; Jumps, they don't have to be ridiculously big like that one in NFS The Run, but little bumps that one can use to their advantage or take air with would be nice.

ps: Sir Tristan, you are right about the realism put into taking turns without drifting. Its not easy but it works. I remember watching an interview with one of the devs for NFSHP2010, he said, they were testing the Aston Martin DBS which has a top speed of 190mph but the car couldn't reach it in game. They tried many options that didn't work until they increased the tire span by a few millimeters, then the car could hit the 190 mark. He concluded by saying something along the lines of: Successful racing arcade games usually have qualities of simulators so they can feel balanced. This is why I think NFSHP2010 did well and appealed to me a lot. Even though its an arcade racer, it has just the right touch of arcade and sim feel to it.

Martin the hedgehog
01-09-2012, 04:54 AM
lol guys try chilling out. This is about NFSHP2010 not Underground. If Criterion could hear me out, there are a few things I would like in the next Hot Pursuit game. That is: a bigger map, add a city, be able to drive on snow covered roads, have pursuit & single race mode in free roam ( driving up to NPC players and starting a random race or speeding past a parked cop car then getting chased would be awesome), ANTI-ALIASING, being able to take dream shots without having to be online or logged on autolog, louder more ferocious engine sounds, I'd ask for first person view but that wouldn't make sense because I'd miss the action happening around my car, I want to be able to drive backwards in a pursuit and have the cops follow me wherever I go, instead of just forward. And finally; Jumps, they don't have to be ridiculously big like that one in NFS The Run, but little bumps that one can use to their advantage or take air with would be nice.

+1
And also, GIVE US MOAR COUNTRIES, NOT JUST SOME COAST IN USA!!1

(CRO)HrVojE
01-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Yea NFS HS for psx is the best NFS ever.I still play HS for psx on my pc cause it brings so much memories.The only nfs that is still good is nfs hs but psx not pc version and nfs mw.Nothing else!

Sasuke024
01-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Acura RSX (2003)
Dodge Neon (1999)
Ford Focus ZX3 (2003)
Honda S2000 (2003)
Mazda Miata MX5 (1999)
Mazda RX-7 (1995)
Nissan 350Z (2003)
Peugeot 206 S16 (2003)
Toyota Celica (2002)
Toyota Supra (1998)

2004 Audi A3
2004 Audi TT
2004 Cadillac Escalade
2003 Ford Focus ZX3
2005 Ford Mustang GT
2004 Hummer H2
2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
2004 Infiniti G35
2002 Lexus iS300
2004 Lincoln Navigator
1999 Mazda Miata - MX5
1995 Mazda RX-7
2004 Mazda RX-8
1999 Mitsubishi 3000 GT
1993 Nissan 240sx
2003 Nissan 350Z
2003 Peugeot 206 GTI
2004 Pontiac GTO
2004 Subaru WRX STI
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S
1998 Toyota Supra
2003 Volkswagen Golf GTI

After those 2 games EA wised up and started throwing real cars back into the mix but at that point it was too late. They lost too many fans.

Are you serious? :Facepalm:

D4RKCOD3
01-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I spat out my orange juice reading this. You're European and you're saying a Golf GTI is NOT a ricer car? GTFO

Following that logic, so is the Eclipse. The normal Golf would be a ricer car in a racing game; the GTI actually is half-sporty.

(even if the 20V would be a lot better...)

Competizione
01-09-2012, 10:41 AM

He's as serious as the way you just failed

Following that logic, so is the Eclipse. The normal Golf would be a ricer car in a racing game; the GTI actually is half-sporty.

(even if the 20V would be a lot better...)

I take out GTI's without doing an effort in my Mini Cooper D, and I don't call my car sporty. Being a ricer isn't only the car, it's also the person who drives it. In Belgium, 50% of Golf drivers think they're the shit, wear white trash clothes and have at least one mod on it. Hence, ricers

D4RKCOD3
01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
I take out GTI's without doing an effort in my Mini Cooper D, and I don't call my car sporty.

I strongly believe that, Coopers (Ds or Ss) are kinda wasted as shopping carts. But what I meant is that the GTI is actually a good car to tune as opposed to rice. And in a street racing game where engines are tuneable...

Sir Tristan
01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I take out GTI's without doing an effort in my Mini Cooper D, and I don't call my car sporty. Being a ricer isn't only the car, it's also the person who drives it. In Belgium, 50% of Golf drivers think they're the shit, wear white trash clothes and have at least one mod on it. Hence, ricers

Unfortunately, you are right. In Poland it's very similar, they LOVE Golfs and especially B5.5 Passats, Audi A6 Bsomething (98-05)... and pretty much any old abused BMW.

E30 316-318s and Golf mk3s are the absolute peak of ****ing idiots on a budget. Not to worry though, Golf mk4s are also used by douchebags.

However: no car is fundamentally ricer in itself. Especially not a ****ing Golf. When not too old, it is a pretty classy car I find.

AJ_Lethal
01-09-2012, 11:18 AM
1. Depends on what GTI are you talking about. If youre talking about the Mk3-Mk4 2.0 ones, probably yes. Or they are shitty drivers as well
2. On that basis I will call Civics ricer cars (ignoring the fact Hondas are like ****ing Legos), any car can be a ricer car if it falls in retarded hands.

Competizione
01-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Modern GTI's

AJ_Lethal
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
^Mk5s? Shitty drivers, *****

DodgeBoy
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Sure am.

Acura Integra Type R (2000) - rice
Acura RSX (2003) - rice
Dodge Neon (1999) - rice
Ford Focus ZX3 (2003) - rice
Honda Civic Si Coupe (2000) - rice
Honda S2000 (2003) - not meant to be rice but riced out way too often. Think Fast and Furious - pink S2000 driven by Suki.
Hyundai Tiburon GT (2003) - rice
Mazda Miata MX5 (1999) - gay rice
Mazda RX-7 (1995) - not meant to be rice but riced out frequently
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (1999) - rice
Mitsubishi Lancer ES (2003) - another car of choice for ricers that are too cheap to afford and Evo
Nissan 350Z (2003) - no comment
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (2004) - rice
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) (1999) - one of 2 cars that aren't that popular with ricers. Probably because they can't afford it.
Peugeot 206 S16 (2003) - don't even know wtf this is but looking at the pictures this shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Need for Speed.
Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (2003) - another car of choice for ricers that are too cheap to afford a WRX STi
Toyota Celica (2002) - rice
Toyota Supra (1998) - one of 2 cars that aren't that popular with ricers. Probably because they can't afford it.
Volkswagen Golf GTi (2003) - rice

2004 Audi A3 - why is traffic car being used as a race car?
2004 Audi TT - no comment
2004 Cadillac Escalade - drug dealer SUV that has no place in NFS
2005 Ford Mustang GT - they threw in something decent for a change
2004 Hummer H2 - drug dealer SUV that has no place in NFS
2004 Infiniti G35 - no comment
2002 Lexus iS300
2004 Lincoln Navigator - drug dealer SUV that has no place in NFS
2004 Mazda RX-8 - rice
1999 Mitsubishi 3000 GT - rice
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - rice
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII got smarter and replaced ricer version with Evo.
1993 Nissan 240sx - rice
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa (European version)) - traffic car
Peugeot 106 (European version)) - lol
2004 Pontiac GTO - they threw in something decent for a change
2004 Subaru WRX STI - got smarter and replaced ricer version with Sti
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S - rice
1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86) - 80's rice

Martin the hedgehog
01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
^ Love that list. :D Rice, rice, rice... porridge...
(I still remember myself rolling on the floor when seeing Peugeot in NFS as playable car)
But wait, I have something to disagree:
Escalade - notbad as cop suv (but not as racer's car, of course)
RX7 & Supra, Skyline - welcome back to NFS!

By the way:
UG1 = NEED FOR SPEED: BE THE TRAFFIC
UG2 = NEED FOR SPEED: BEEP, IMA JEEP

yesman
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Low class cars or not, I still found the games extremely boring. Maybe cause they didnt have any cops, or supercars, or any exciting modes..

can we get back on topic please?

Pretty Hate Machine
01-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I still remember myself rolling on the floor when seeing Peugeot in NFS as playable car

I still remember myself rolling on the floor when seeing Escalade in NFS as playable car.
Escalade, Navigator, H2 really has no place in NFS. Maybe only as cop SUV's, like Rhinos in MW.

Martin the hedgehog
01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
I still remember myself rolling on the floor when seeing Escalade in NFS as playable car.
Escalade, Navigator, H2 really has no place in NFS. Maybe only as cop SUV's, like Rhinos in MW.

If you play in NFSW, you have chance to repeat rolling.

D4RKCOD3
01-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Sure am.

Acura Integra Type R (2000) - rice
Acura RSX (2003) - rice
Dodge Neon (1999) - rice
Ford Focus ZX3 (2003) - rice
Honda Civic Si Coupe (2000) - rice
Honda S2000 (2003) - not meant to be rice but riced out way too often. Think Fast and Furious - pink S2000 driven by Suki.
Hyundai Tiburon GT (2003) - rice
Mazda Miata MX5 (1999) - gay rice
Mazda RX-7 (1995) - not meant to be rice but riced out frequently
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (1999) - rice
Mitsubishi Lancer ES (2003) - another car of choice for ricers that are too cheap to afford and Evo
Nissan 350Z (2003) - no comment
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V (2004) - rice
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) (1999) - one of 2 cars that aren't that popular with ricers. Probably because they can't afford it.
Peugeot 206 S16 (2003) - don't even know wtf this is but looking at the pictures this shouldn't be used in the same sentence as Need for Speed.
Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (2003) - another car of choice for ricers that are too cheap to afford a WRX STi
Toyota Celica (2002) - rice
Toyota Supra (1998) - one of 2 cars that aren't that popular with ricers. Probably because they can't afford it.
Volkswagen Golf GTi (2003) - rice

2004 Audi A3 - why is traffic car being used as a race car?
2004 Audi TT - no comment
2004 Cadillac Escalade - drug dealer SUV that has no place in NFS
2005 Ford Mustang GT - they threw in something decent for a change
2004 Hummer H2 - drug dealer SUV that has no place in NFS
2004 Infiniti G35 - no comment
2002 Lexus iS300
2004 Lincoln Navigator - drug dealer SUV that has no place in NFS
2004 Mazda RX-8 - rice
1999 Mitsubishi 3000 GT - rice
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - rice
2003 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII got smarter and replaced ricer version with Evo.
1993 Nissan 240sx - rice
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa (European version)) - traffic car
Peugeot 106 (European version)) - lol
2004 Pontiac GTO - they threw in something decent for a change
2004 Subaru WRX STI - got smarter and replaced ricer version with Sti
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S - rice
1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86) - 80's rice

If you think cars like the AE86, 3000GT, Integra et al are rice you have no automotive culture. Sorry.

Sir Tristan
01-10-2012, 09:46 AM
To be fair I can't be arsed addressing every single moronic piece on that elaborate little list of yours. But practically none of it is true.

To add to all this, 'ricers' sort of aren't that big of a nuissance any more. They used to be big like 4 years ago bro, just let it go.

AJ_Lethal
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
DodgeBoy, when you listed the 3000GT, the MX-5, the 240SX, and the AE86 as rice, I headed up to the conclusion that it was the most retarded thing you ever posted.

And i must say this thread is just one step away to get derailed, so if you want to still calling shit out of your *** and contradicting yourself, just open a new goddamn thread, otherwise I gotta close this one.

Sir Tristan
01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
DodgeBoy, when you listed the 3000GT, the MX-5, the 240SX, and the AE86 as rice, I headed up to the conclusion that it was the most retarded thing you ever posted.

And i must say this thread is just one step away to get derailed, so if you want to still calling shit out of your *** and contradicting yourself, just open a new goddamn thread, otherwise I gotta close this one.

Exactly. This was a good thread just a coupla days ago. Good memories and stuff man.

D4RKCOD3
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
In fact HP3 shares something with HP1. The Diablo SV and Countach from the Lambo Untamed DLC were featured in HP1 as well. And the "Porsche Unleashed" DLC, too? EA did try hard to get a retro feel to HP3 other than style and music.

Sir Tristan
01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
In fact HP3 shares something with HP1. The Diablo SV and Countach from the Lambo Untamed DLC were featured in HP1 as well. And the "Porsche Unleashed" DLC, too? EA did try hard to get a retro feel to HP3 other than style and music.

Well yes and no. Music is totally different. It has lovely indie tunes and deadmau5, but it's no 1998 soundtrack. It's also hardly 2002.

NFS OSTs have something in common, I virtually only ever listen to them in-game. NFSU1 and NFSHP2 are soundtracks that bring about only memories of those games. Makes me want to play them.

The same cannot be said about any (though also good) soundtrack after 2004.

The Run very pleasantly surprised me with bags of NFS. Of every period. It has a wealth of classic, some Underground thrown in, some Most Wanted and even Undercover.

D4RKCOD3
01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
The Run very pleasantly surprised me with bags of NFS. Of every period. It has a wealth of classic, some Underground thrown in, some Most Wanted and even Undercover.

UC? How?

DodgeBoy
01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
DongBoy you are an idiot. Absolute unfathomable ****ing idiot. Go die.

To be fair I can't be arsed addressing every single moronic piece on that elaborate little list of yours. But practically none of it is true.

So when you don't like other people's views you resort to personal attacks?

And where are the moderators? Oh that's right, supporting this guy. Last I checked personal attacks weren't tolerated on NFS Cars yet here we are.

To add to all this, 'ricers' sort of aren't that big of a nuissance any more. They used to be big like 4 years ago bro, just let it go.

And how old is Underground? Came out in 2003, 2 years after Fast and Furious when ricers were out in full force. And if you are going to deny that all those cars weren't popular with ricers you are going to be kidding yourself.

This thread is not derailed. It's still on topic. All I was trying to point out is that NFS headed away from where it started off. Super cars and hi speed tracks. It is after all named Need For Speed. With latest releases of the game it returned back to the roots, especially with Hot Pursuit.

Competizione
01-11-2012, 01:35 AM
If I were still in office, you'd get an infraction for that pointless attack Tristan... What age are you to result to attacking someone who is in my opinion correct to a certain degree. Most of those cars on that list ARE ricers, try getting that into your head for a change. They've all BEEN riced out by idiots that know shit about car and thought it would be cool. Does that mean the cars themselves are rice when they roll off the production band? No. Were they intended to be disfigured by ricers? No. Did they end up like that? Yes. Did the Underground series emphasize on ricing? YES, seriously there's something very wrong with you if you think that a game that forces you to put scoops, spoilers and stickers on your car to advance in the game isn't a ricer game.

Please do us a favour Tristan, grow up instead of acting like you own the place. And don't resort to attacking everyone who elaborates on their opinion, rather than throwing some childish insults

Sasuke024
01-11-2012, 06:21 AM
He's as serious as the way you just failed

I don't think so. I think you guys have nothing better to do than hate on random cars. I'm out. Have fun hatin' :P

ekwensu
01-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I appreciate you guys derailing & ruining my thread with your immaturity.

AJ_Lethal
01-11-2012, 08:29 AM
If I were still in office, you'd get an infraction for that pointless attack Tristan... What age are you to result to attacking someone who is in my opinion correct to a certain degree. Most of those cars on that list ARE ricers, try getting that into your head for a change. They've all BEEN riced out by idiots that know shit about car and thought it would be cool. Does that mean the cars themselves are rice when they roll off the production band? No. Were they intended to be disfigured by ricers? No. Did they end up like that? Yes. Did the Underground series emphasize on ricing? YES, seriously there's something very wrong with you if you think that a game that forces you to put scoops, spoilers and stickers on your car to advance in the game isn't a ricer game.

Please do us a favour Tristan, grow up instead of acting like you own the place. And don't resort to attacking everyone who elaborates on their opinion, rather than throwing some childish insults

AFAIK, in U1 you dont have to rice your car out to advance. In U2 your have to, but I grab a car nobody gives a **** about (like the Focus), then I de-rice it at the end of the game. Luckly i can derice U2 a bit by renaming the roof scoop, and any of all of the spoiler folders.

Sir Tristan
01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I appreciate you guys derailing & ruining my thread with your immaturity.

Well at least most people expressed their opinion. It's possible that all that needed to be said was mentioned already, and now people get their kicks off insulting others, like me, or posting sensationalist claims (like DodgeBoy), I guess.

Because tell me judging a whole car with one word that applies to a small element of owners/drivers of it is correct.

Actually the common definition of ricing is visual mods that do not influence performance but are there to 'look cool'. Are Vdub scenes then, ricers? Big Porsche wheels or huge steelies that are out of the tyre? BBS or fifteen52 snowflakes? Is this rice?

this fatlace folk, are those ricers too? Yes they have performance sometimes but it's more about the culture they create, which is based on looks also. Ricers?

And in fact for me U1 wasn't all about ricing. It was about the thrill and the acceptable storyline. Sure you had to rice out your car to get more unlocks but then again you didn't need those to finish the game if I remember correctly. UG2 was about ricing to me, and randomized opponents made that worse.

I guess putting econoboxes into the game was to show that these tuned cars could compete with top-of-the-range models. I guess that tuned Lancer ES was just about enough to race an Evo. Or that Golf was on par with a 1.8T or even R32.

yesman
01-11-2012, 02:26 PM
So when you don't like other people's views you resort to personal attacks?

And where are the moderators? Oh that's right, supporting this guy. Last I checked personal attacks weren't tolerated on NFS Cars yet here we are.

irony is ironic.

(Maybe they're off teaming up on someone)

ekwensu
01-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Last I checked on information for the upcoming Need For Speed by Criterion, and according to that article I posted on page 2, there will be an integrated open world A.I kinda like Most Wanted. This means cruising and random chases from cops and possibly joining races while in free roam.