View Full Version : Installation Error

Mikeman101
02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Hello, I have a problem with NFS III. Every time i start the installation the installer freezes and i have no choice but to eject the disk, i tried it on a Windows 7 laptop and it said that there was a bad setup or file.

I would really like help as this game is one of my favorite games i own

Freak-DS
02-13-2012, 03:36 AM
In case you are running win7 64, you cannot install NFS3 without external patches. There was something called NFS 3 Vista edition I think, that worked, look for it.
The problem is that the setup is a 16bit application and win7 64 doesnt like them.

Dch48
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes It's called NFS3 Vista Edition and you can get it at http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/need-for-speed-3-vista-edition.

You just need to have a valid disk and it will work so it isn't warez or anything else illegal. After installation, you can play without having to insert the disc but your resolution will be limited to 800 X 600 as explained at the download site. There is a way around that by installing the nGlide wrapper and setting your resolution through it. You can also force the normal 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor so things don't look stretched. I play it in Win 7 64 bit that way and it never looked so good. I still think it's the best driving game ever made because of how , with the addition of NFS3 manager, you can have as many tracks and cars as you want.

Mikeman101
02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
In case you are running win7 64, you cannot install NFS3 without external patches. There was something called NFS 3 Vista edition I think, that worked, look for it.
The problem is that the setup is a 16bit application and win7 64 doesnt like them.

The computer with Windows 7 was 32-bit

Yes It's called NFS3 Vista Edition and you can get it at http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/need-for-speed-3-vista-edition.

You just need to have a valid disk and it will work so it isn't warez or anything else illegal. After installation, you can play without having to insert the disc but your resolution will be limited to 800 X 600 as explained at the download site. There is a way around that by installing the nGlide wrapper and setting your resolution through it. You can also force the normal 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen monitor so things don't look stretched. I play it in Win 7 64 bit that way and it never looked so good. I still think it's the best driving game ever made because of how , with the addition of NFS3 manager, you can have as many tracks and cars as you want.

That program is the reason why i can't use the game anymore...

Dch48
02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Which program? The Vista edition one? It works fine but you usually have to follow the instructions and tell it not to check for the disk edition. I did that and it installed perfectly.

Mikeman101
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Well i clicked no and it checked if the disk was orignal, then it installed and it finished, I tried on Windows XP and the computer froze so badly that i had no choice but to eject the disk.

If there's nothing that can be done, i'll get a new copy somewhere

Dch48
02-14-2012, 12:49 AM
Wow, the disk I have installed on XP without using any kind of patch. I think I then had to set the .exe to compatibility mode with Win 98 and then it worked fine.

Mikeman101
02-14-2012, 01:28 AM
I have a feeling Windows 7 happened to NFSIII

If there is nothing though don't worry ill just get a new copy

Reptillian
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
It works just fine. You could have clicked yes instead of no if you do own the original disk contents.

Mikeman101
02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Well if i clicked yes it would have cracked the disk making me a pirated version :(

Reptillian
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
If you did brought the game with the original contents, then it should be fine. Does it show a pirate message?

Mikeman101
02-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, The only addon was the Chevrolet Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car, and yes i DOES show a message asking if you want to crack the disk click yes. Or check for disk verification click no