View Full Version : Wait a sec....Gran Turismo 4???

Twin_Turbo511
03-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Ok, now this is pretty interesting.. I heard there was a GT4 comming out late May this year. The game is just as good as all the previous versions but there are more game modes like drag racing, body work you can add on to the cars (wings, kits, c/f hoods, etc.), damage, and online gaming. This can't be true right? If it is, is the game just going to be called Gran Turismo 4 or something else? Is there any links I can see this at? This is the 3rd time I've heard it from different people. It sounds great. But too good to be true.. Wouldn't that be hard having multiple kits for all the cars in the game? Appreciate any help. I'm really curious..

T®u3no G+ Ap3x
03-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Ok, now this is pretty interesting.. I heard there was a GT4 comming out late May this year. The game is just as good as all the previous versions but there are more game modes like drag racing, body work you can add on to the cars (wings, kits, c/f hoods, etc.), damage, and online gaming. This can't be true right? If it is, is the game just going to be called Gran Turismo 4 or something else? Is there any links I can see this at? This is the 3rd time I've heard it from different people. It sounds great. But too good to be true.. Wouldn't that be hard having multiple kits for all the cars in the game? Appreciate any help. I'm really curious..

never will be such a game... GT is know for its non damagable cars , great physics and graphics. Online.. maybe...but as for drag racing and bodykits? I dun think so..

Jimmy
03-22-2003, 08:35 AM
gran turismo 4 is coming out. i don't think its comming out in may, but i'll check it out.

yep...on gamespot.com, it said, "Except to see Gran Turismo 4 about late 2003 in Japan,",. if its coming out late 2003 in japan, then it'll be on NSTC area shelfs about early 2004.

o yah, online is almost definate for GT4

[Combined Triple post : As Trueno said, use the EDIT button :roll: : DJC-Grafix]

CodeRed
03-23-2003, 07:07 AM
I thought they were waiting for PS3 to come out before GT4 is even made? Now they changed their mind and are releasing it on the PS2?

Pittens
03-24-2003, 09:00 AM
If u guys like GT3, u'll really like Pro Race Driver(here in Belgium it's called DTM Race Driver, but it's the same game)
http://www.codemasters.com/redirect/redirect.php?url=/proracedriver/english/front.htm

HsV_CoUpE
03-25-2003, 12:57 PM
actually i absoulutly love gt3 and dispise of pro race drive....

btw gt4 sounds awsome, i hope its not on the ps3 then id need a new system
:(

Venom
03-25-2003, 01:09 PM
It will definately be for PS2. PS3 doesnt come out untill 2005.

PJ
03-25-2003, 01:10 PM
March 13, 2003 - At a press assembly in Tokyo, Polyphony Digital president Kazunori Yamauchi made some comments about the upcoming sequel, Gran Turismo 4. He mentioned that although some improvements were made in Gran Turismo 3, many ideas were still not implemented, and that they, Polyphony Digital, want to "...fully explore the simulation aspects of the series."
Although the comment is somewhat ambiguous, it does imply a more realistic physics engine for the cars, and possibly their interaction with the tracks. Even if nothing had been said, more realistic physics in the game would be a natural and obvious progression for the Gran Turismo series. Easily one of the most sophisticated driving simulation series around, the next Gran Turismo game has nowhere to go but down an even more detailed and realistic path.

Yamauchi also said that "...a wholly redesigned gameplay system has been proposed, including new modes of play," and that network compatibility (online play) is something that the team is exploring. Online play for Gran Turismo 4 has been rumored for months, so although Yamauchi's comments are exciting, it comes as little surprise. Again, like a more complex physics engine, the inclusion of online play is a logical step for the series.

Additionally, Yamauchi made a short comment in regards to damage modeling: "We're still interested in vehicle damage modeling, but that issue has caused some arguments with auto manufacturers." Since previous Gran Turismo games were not allowed to have damage modeling, chances are slim that the next incarnation of the series will have it, but at least we know that it is something Polyphony is pushing for.

Little else was said about the game, but expect the game to be shown at this year's E3 in May. Check back with IGN for more news regarding Gran Turismo 4 as it happens.

damage is a posibility, but not definate

CodeRed
03-25-2003, 05:41 PM
At least there is a Pro Race Driver for PC and plus it has a damage model :mrgreen:

S13DRIFTSPEC
03-26-2003, 06:39 PM

never will be such a game... GT is know for its non damagable cars , great physics and graphics. Online.. maybe...but as for drag racing and bodykits? I dun think so..

Actually they made Drag Racing for GT2 but cut it out in before production. The proof is that in some earlier versions of the game is that the maximum completion for the game is only 98%. (it says the completion in the status screen or something)

Nuts4Ford
03-27-2003, 01:08 AM
hopefully they will add the "Used Cars" again. but they better not be only japanese. They need to include used cars from all the car makes. That and a bigger selection of american cars :D make all the countries equal in the amount of cars or something.

They have like 20 lancers and 30 skylines (overexageration) so why cant they put v6 Mustang all the way to SVT Cobra.

Well thats just my 2 cents.

PJ
03-27-2003, 05:04 AM
originally a few months after the release of GT3 i heard a rumour that the setup of GT4 would be that u bought cars online, i know this was probaly just rubbish, but even if it was just a thought by sony, such a game woud be immense

johnie990
04-01-2003, 02:12 AM
IMO GT4 will come in PS2 but in reality it will be a GT3.1 (just like windows3.0 and 3.1 :D ).

As for the damage I am 99.9% sure that won't be implemented. And that's because GT physics model can't support damage.

In GT3 you crash a wall and you loose a tiny bit of your speed!!! Absolutely FAKE!! In real racing when you hit a car both cars will lost their balance and will end up out of the race. But in GT3 you can constantly hit other cars without problem. :crazy: The AI in GT3 sucks. They keep on hitting each other and hit on the walls. If there was damage they would all retire!! How realistic!! And also in GT3 you can't flip the car!!! And if you have watched racing on TV you will know that this is rare but it happens.

So the bigest problem that prevents damage from being implemented in GT is not the licences from car manufacturers but the very simple and unrealistic physics model that is the trademark of the series (IMO GT3 is not a simulation but a very easy to beat repetitive arcade game with great graphics and sound).

If PD came with a brand new and more realistic physics model that would support damage and would have the features I mentioned above I would be very hapy and I would definetly buy GT4. But I am in the minority since most people think that GT3 is the most realistic driving game (how?!?). So I don't care when GT4 is going to be realeased.

But I am sure it will be realeased in PS2. Sony and PD know that even with a GT3.1 would have a best seller since most people like it. But I am sure I won't buy it.

johnie990
04-01-2003, 02:37 AM
Also I want to point out that when I say "realistic physics models" I mean that the game should give you the feeling you are driving a real cars. The cars behavior doesn't have to be 100% correct but the feel should be totally realistic.

Games like Colin McRae Rally 3 give me this feeling. But GT3 doesn't. Sorry.

OZ
04-01-2003, 04:57 AM
johnie990... sorry but I definatly don't agree with you... Simply cus I have hours of playing racing games of all kind.... As also hours of driving my car and some special divring courses like the FIAT security driving. The GT3 physics is the closest thing you can get to the real life driving. Colin Mcrae too, but it's mainly for offroad driving. ON GT3, the car behaves exacly as the way it you should act, expecialy when you tune it. It has some flaws of course, but noonelses is perfect. Also, its impossible to have an 100% realistic feeling of driving, since you're handing an joystic and siting on a chair. without haveing to deal with the inertia issues, and this my fellow friend, change it a loot (just remenber that old Daytona Racing 2 Arcade machine, with that moving cockpit... that was cool!)

About the damage model, the decision of the company counts, for example, you have a large amount of factorys, and the important ones doesn't want you to put an damage model on your car? what would you do? Take it's cars out of the game and loose the appealing of having they or set up all car to not have damage? If were me to choose, I would go for the second one. And the GT3 engine is possible to make a damage model, but it will cost lots of polys on the hole car, which is not a good option if you wanna have the best good looking cars (without mentioning making a damage model for almost 200 cars).

AI issues... well the AI on all GT games is week, but with time it's kind of learns with you... I have something like more than 2k races completed on the GT2, and it's harder than ever, it doesn't even compare with the first races. Expecialy cus now most of the cars follow my "line" of driving, using almost the same moves a I. I expect to this to happen on the GT3 as well.

Well I could go saying things about this game for ages... but I prefer to play it other than argue about it.... :roll:

IMO GT4 reãly needs to have an PIT CREW!!!!!! I'm sick of seeing my car floats on the air :lol:

Jetta2NR
04-20-2003, 04:56 AM
"Volkswagen and Polyphony Digital announced they will co-operate to
develop a new version of Gran Turismo for PlayStation 2, which will be used
for training purposes for drivers. The new version of Volkswagen Gran
Turismo is said to be based on the GT4 game engine."

http://www.autoascii.jp/auto24/issue/2003/0331/images/images670594.jpg
http://www.autoascii.jp/auto24/issue/2003/0331/images/images670595.jpg
http://www.autoascii.jp/auto24/issue/2003/0331/images/images670605.jpg
http://www.autoascii.jp/auto24/issue/2003/0331/images/images670602.jpg
not excactly is GT4, but it's newer then GT concept and it's not avaliable to the public, there is also a preview of the interface in GT4.... this is the Lupo Cup Training Disc. and features some new features that will be on GT4....
not to mention, it have the legendary TSUKUBA curcuit!!!!

http://www.autoascii.jp/auto24/issue/2003/0331/images/images670604.jpg
http://www.autoascii.jp/auto24/issue/2003/0331/images/images670599.jpg

VW's news release on the Gran Turismo Lupo GTi Cup Training Tool Simulator:
http://www.volkswagen.co.jp/news/2003/images/2003-0331a.jpg

Another Gran Turismo?
Polyphony at work on yet another Gran Turismo.

March 31, 2003 - Polyphony Digital is hard at work on a simplified, training version of Gran Turismo that will be used to teach first-time drivers how to drive, according to online gaming site Games Are Fun. What exactly "simplified" means is unclear, but since the game will be used with beginner drivers, expect very little in the ways of customization, and more emphasis on driving physics and environment interaction.
The game is being worked on in conjunction with automobile maker Volkswagen, and will utilize the still-in-development Gran Tursimo 4 engine. The still untitled game will not be for sale in retail stores, so unless you plan on getting another driver's license, chances of playing the game may be slim.

No other details have been announced, but check back with IGN for more news regarding this amusing title.

and to finish it off here's one more link..

http://spong.com/index.asp?art=4755

Twin_Turbo511
04-20-2003, 05:31 AM
http://www.supraforums.com/images/smilies/Drooling_anim.gif

Oh....boy. This is just too sweet.

http://www.club3g.com/members/blackbird/Smiles/hail.gif

TheMeandMe
04-20-2003, 05:47 AM
they had Drag racing in early version GT2 already, but took it out b4 the release. thats why you can win everything without being at 100% or sth.
at least thats ive read in a mag some time ago.

Edit:
Actually they made Drag Racing for GT2 but cut it out in before production. The proof is that in some earlier versions of the game is that the maximum completion for the game is only 98%. (it says the completion in the status screen or something)
well duh... i guess I should scroll down the whole thread to see if somebody already wrote what i want to... heh... well anyways... duh. lol :dopey:

CodeRed
04-20-2003, 07:18 AM
I hope they go to a 2-DVD setup... That way they can fit a lot more cars/tracks/features into the game...

Venom
04-20-2003, 07:35 AM
I hope they go to a 2-DVD setup... That way they can fit a lot more cars/tracks/features into the game...
I hope they do that too, since I don't mind changing game disks.

Twin_Turbo511
04-20-2003, 09:16 AM
they had Drag racing in early version GT2 already, but took it out b4 the release. thats why you can win everything without being at 100% or sth.

Uh.. when did I ever say that? :scratch:

CodeRed
04-20-2003, 10:00 AM

Uh.. when did I ever say that? :scratch:

LOL, it was Trueno GT Apex who said that....

Jayboi
04-20-2003, 10:15 AM
IMO GT4 reãly needs to have an PIT CREW!!!!!! I'm sick of seeing my car floats on the air :lol:
haha, true, It does need a pit crew. I hope that if they do make GT4, they should have used cars again like Nuts4Ford said. And not only japanese. They should have Ferrari and Lamborghini in GT4 as well, i'm tired of having Pagani as the only supercar company in GT3. I heard Lamborghini was in GT3 but i'm not sure (As a bonus car). And why do they use Ruf instead of Porsche? GT3 has the most realilistic physics you can have for a game, if you want 100% realilistic physics, drive a car in real life then. I'd love to have a drag race mode, and damage is possible, but the game would probobly lag sometimes.

CodeRed
04-20-2003, 07:18 PM
haha, true, It does need a pit crew. I hope that if they do make GT4, they should have used cars again like Nuts4Ford said. And not only japanese. They should have Ferrari and Lamborghini in GT4 as well, i'm tired of having Pagani as the only supercar company in GT3. I heard Lamborghini was in GT3 but i'm not sure (As a bonus car). And why do they use Ruf instead of Porsche? GT3 has the most realilistic physics you can have for a game, if you want 100% realilistic physics, drive a car in real life then. I'd love to have a drag race mode, and damage is possible, but the game would probobly lag sometimes.

You do have to remember that EA is hogging the exclusive licenses for Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, and BMW (M5)... But then Project Gotham Racing had some of those cars, too?
Yes, a Lamborghini Diablo is hidden within GT3. You need to have a GameShark or a SharkPort to hack it out...
And the game lagging issue should have been addressed if they released GT4 for PS3, but I just read that PS3 got delayed until 2007... So my guess is that they will tweak the existing graphics engine of GT3 and rewrite the physics engine to come up with a game that looks a bit better but drives vastly better than GT3...

Anonymous
04-20-2003, 08:07 PM
is japan PAL? cos Australia is PAL

PJ
04-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Here is the latest news on Gran Turismo 4.

NAME
- Gran Turismo 4 OR Gran Turismo Online
RELEASE DATE
- Japan; late 2003
- Rest of world; early/mid 2004
GAME FEATURES
- Online play and/or the abilty to download new cars and tracks
- More ambitious courses
- More old/classic cars
- Wholey revised gameplay system
- Improved graphics

UPDATES:
- According to reports emanating from the Far East, Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo 4, headed by the mighty Kazunori-san, is now 50 percent complete. Sony has still yet to give any indication when the game may be released but GT4 is expected to be shown at E3 this year.

- Little is known about the project but it's widely expected that the latest in the sublime racing series will be an online experience in part. Though nothing has been publicly displayed, GT4 is rumoured to have been already been shown behind closed doors to selected individuals, with those in attendance unsurprisingly amazed by what was on display.

- The fourth Gran Turismo, he said, is due for completion in about two years, and should feature a great many features besides the oft-discussed network battle. Expanded modifications to the styling, color, and exterior of cars are to be expected, some of them possibly downloadable from Sony's broadband network, as well as much more supplemental information about each model. More ambitious courses are in planning stages as well, with the winding roads along the Mediterranean Sea being one example. Yamauchi also said he would like to include more old, classic cars, with authentic sound and handling.

- Yamauchi-san said development was still relatively early. Nevertheless, he reaffirmed plans to include full network support. Scheduled for release in 2003, the game will allow players to download new vehicles and race against human opponents online. Moreover, he expressed interest in building a 'test drive' mode that will allow players to experience a new vehicle online before buying it.

- When asked about the future of the series and what players can expect from Gran Turismo 4, Yamauchi-san responded, 'Some improvements were made in Gran Turismo 3 but many ideas still weren't implemented. In GT4 we want to fully explore the simulation aspects of the series. A wholly revised gameplay system has been proposed including new modes of play. Network compatibility for example is a major step in development and something we're exploring. We're still interested in vehicle damage modeling, but that issue has caused some arguments with auto manufactures. We also have to consider the limitation of the media. While many restrictions have been removed in terms of hardware, we used almost all 4.7 GB on the DVD for Gran Turismo 3.'

CodeRed
04-21-2003, 07:39 AM
is japan PAL? cos Australia is PAL

Yes, Japan is PAL. Everyone is PAL except USA, which is NTSC.