View Full Version : Colin McRae 3 (PC) disappointing...

Sander
06-15-2003, 01:20 AM
Yesterday I went out and bought Colin McRae 3 for PC, which has just been released. My expectations were high: I have both CMR1 and CMR2, and I liked them both.

After having sound problems at first, I finally got the game running. After starting the game I set up my FFB wheel and started a race. I was immediately disappointed by 2 things: you can hardly feel the force feedback, even though it is set to high in the options, and there is no real bumper cam, like in CMR2, which I like so much.

After playing a bit, other things began to irritate. The most important thing is the feel for speed: in CMR2, you actually feel that you are going fast through corners and such, but in CMR3, I feel like doing a sunday cruise in a trabant...

So I went looking for the multiplayer options, which I wanted to use as I am getting ADSL soon and a friend also bought the game. After searching, I came to the conclusing that there is NO MULTIPLAYER option!!! I can't believe they still release games that lack a multiplayer mode, especially in racegames, which is about competition more than most other games.

As you can tell, I am quite satisfied and feel like I wasted 45 Euro's on this game. I think I'm gonna reinstall CMR2...

So: if you're looking for a rallygame with multiplayer, good force feedback, a real feel of speed and lot's of view options, you better stay FAR away from CMR3...

Anonymous
06-15-2003, 01:53 AM
yep. its quite bad game, it doesnt actually have force feedback support, it haves vibration effect for game pads... but you are wrong about one thing, CMR3 haves great feeling of speed if its compared to CMR2

if somebody wants to get most perfect rally game which is done, i recommend to buy Rally Trophy.

Sander
06-15-2003, 02:04 AM
yep. its quite bad game, it doesnt actually have force feedback support, it haves vibration effect for game pads... but you are wrong about one thing, CMR3 haves great feeling of speed if its compared to CMR2

if somebody wants to get most perfect rally game which is done, i recommend to buy Rally Trophy.
Maybe it's because I am used to the bumpercam, which puts you close to the road and thus giving a real good feel of speed. The views in CMR3 are all higher.

Krl99
06-15-2003, 02:34 AM
Handlng in CMR 3 is bad. I hope that CMR 4 what releases in november would be better.

Anonymous
06-15-2003, 03:05 AM
Handlng in CMR 3 is bad. I hope that CMR 4 what releases in november would be better.

Handling is exellent on CMR3. its up to driver how well he handles those cars. :mrgreen:

first time when i did test CMR3 on XBox, i did break my frinds special stage record. :mrgreen: so i think that those cars are really easy to handle

Cayenne
06-15-2003, 04:03 AM
I tried the demo and im worrying only on one thing - it can lag on my computer (i tryed on friend's computer which has 1300mhz 512RAM 128 Geforce Ti) And i never play multiplayer, so its goin' to be a nice drive for me.

CodeRed
06-16-2003, 05:22 PM
I got CMR3 working finally....

Well, I dont see how the handling sucks, as it isquite challenging. There has not been a single stage that I could run through without scoring ANY damage on the car... A few times I lost both doors, front bumper, rear bumper, hood, and severely damaged the wheels, axles, brakes, and damaged the engine slightly...

Speaking of damage, the damage modeling is excellent IMO. Parts fly off realistically, and dont just flap around like in CMR2. No, I havent gotten the wheels to fall off just yet though :)

The graphics are awesome, and I think they are better than the graphics in Rallisport Challenge.. I think the reflections are real-time, so thats another plus. Dirt builds up differently on different tracks, so that is a nice touch.

The sense of speed isnt that good, but I think the handling helps with the sense of speed (it gets quite hard to keep the car on the road in the turns at 70 mph).

Overall, I think this is a great rallying game.

johnie990
06-17-2003, 01:47 AM
I am playing CMR3 on my PS2 for months now and I can say that this is one of the best Rally games available on PC and cosnoles (along with rally trophy as GS said - Lancia fulvia is the best car!! :-) ;-) ). I also bought logitech's FFB wheel for PS2 and CMR3 got even better!! I don't have any complaint (except maybe the absence of Lancia Delta Intergrale, Audi quattro and the ability to select another car for the championship).

I won't buy it for PC cause my system is ancient (don't laught at my PC: P3@600Mhz and 3dfxVoodoo3) and it wouldn't have a chance to run CMR3 so I don't know how the game looks on PC. I just know that on PS2 the game's graphics, sound, handling (with or without a steering wheel) are GREAT!!!

Could CMR3 for PC be a lousy conversion just like NFS6 was? What do you think?

johnie990
06-17-2003, 01:51 AM
As for the handling I think it is personal taste. I like CMR3's handling while I don't like the handling of a certain game that most people like ;-)

CodeRed
06-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Could CMR3 for PC be a lousy conversion just like NFS6 was? What do you think?

Well, it is the same exact game as on the PS2 (not like NFS6, that was done by two different companies), so IMO the PC version loses nothing in the translation. Also, its mostly adapted well for the PC (resolution settings, 3D acceleration, etc) except for multiplayer, which is absent... Multiplayer is not a big loss for me, as I dont play much multiplayer in any other games anyway.

Sander
06-18-2003, 09:46 AM
After playing some more I came to the conclusion that it's the Force Feedback that isn't always working well. I tried playing with the keyboard, and that actually works quite well and indeed, the game does handle pretty well.

It's just that the ffb is sometimes strong, sometimes week and sometimes absent. That makes it quite hard to drive with ffb.

Maybe I should buy a new wheel without ffb (had one up until recently, but I broke the pedals while braking too agressively in NFS5 :P)...

johnie990
06-18-2003, 09:44 PM
After playing some more I came to the conclusion that it's the Force Feedback that isn't always working well. I tried playing with the keyboard, and that actually works quite well and indeed, the game does handle pretty well.

It's just that the ffb is sometimes strong, sometimes week and sometimes absent. That makes it quite hard to drive with ffb.

Maybe I should buy a new wheel without ffb (had one up until recently, but I broke the pedals while braking too agressively in NFS5 :P)...

What you are saying Sander Prinsen is very interesing and makes me think.
In NFS6 force feedback also didn't work while NFS has FFB since NFS2. Colin McRae Rally 1 and 2 have FFB and it's very good. But know that you are saying that CMR3 FFB isn't good I wonder if game companies don't pay enough attention in PC-games anymore and they are just converting them from PS2 without tweaking the game for PC. Could it be?

VSO
06-18-2003, 10:47 PM
i gotta agree Sander Prinsen.He is right...The game is really disappointing...

Cayenne
06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
OK. I got CMR3. The graphix are SUPER and it dont lag my computer somehow (733mhz 512RAM GeForce4 Ti 128MB) on the best graphix. Also the physics are really good, speed feels also very good.

Drawbacks - it surely isnt a game for a long time. Gets boring soon. Also i didnt like the selection of cars. But the Citroen 2CV and Ford Transit really surprised me a lot.

All in all imo CMR3 isnt worth buying, but is worth lending from a friend :mrgreen: (like i did hehe)