View Full Version : Is "Racer" any good ?

jellybeard999
06-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Is the free game "Racer" any good.

The graphics seem very good but i cant tell whether you actually race or just drive on your own.

Comments please

max3000
06-24-2003, 09:03 AM
"Racer" is project created by a guy called Ruud Van guul.
It uses real car physics and it's still has a lot of bugs.

More info can be found here:

www.racer-xtreme.com

Or

www.racer.nl

Cayenne
06-24-2003, 09:08 AM
VERY buggy and unrealistic game. Also is it of any fun driving alone witohut CPU?

jellybeard999
06-24-2003, 09:08 AM
I know, however i want to what people think about it

Anonymous
06-24-2003, 09:26 AM
The graphics are pretty good. However, the handling physics need altered. The car dosent turn good when on a turn. It keep going straight. It does turn, just not as much as it should, You have to slow down quite a bit to make a decent turn. Other than the handling and the scenery in need of more attention... Its a great game. Took me all day to download it. But, I guess all in all. Its decent. I think him and some nfs engineers should get together and put that graphics engine in nfs hs. Now, that would be awesome. :mrgreen:

max3000
06-24-2003, 09:46 AM
You guys are VERY wrong!

The physics are VERY realistic! Have you read the manual for this game?
It need a steering wheel to control it, the keyboard is highly unrecomended.

Besides, it's a developing project, and it's FAR from finished.

CaPa DoN
06-24-2003, 09:48 AM
it's a beta game, made by one man named ruud van gAAl. it's very open for programmers and people to edit, and there are many cars avaible. right now it's somewhat unplayble, but the functions of the game are endless. for the 'average' racer, it 's a bit too hard, i think. just give it a shot, it's free and there are many great cars avaible (sp?). i think it's kinda boring, but it's a very pre beta version.

max3000
06-24-2003, 09:51 AM
ruud van gAAl.

Whoops....hehe sorry :D

Cayenne
06-24-2003, 10:06 AM
What would make this game great is that the keyboard would work normally, coz why make game for steering wheel ONLY, when most ppl use keyboard for racing, not having steering wheels.

Azrael
06-24-2003, 11:00 AM
racer is not a full game its just in beta form it has some of the best 3d graphics you will see and its also Free it uses real car dynamics hence its harder to control if under stand how a real car works its not so hard to produce a almost perfect car.ini
but as its a w.i.p game its not setup for raceing just yes

PortuguesePilot
06-24-2003, 01:01 PM
for some unknown reason, Racer refuses to run properly on my computer, unableing me to make an accurate judgement regarding it's quality as a racing game. from the very little i saw while i had it installed, it seems to be in a very early beta stage (maybe even alpha), had some bugs and it's extremely "picky" with some hardware configurations. i have a slow computer, but still faster than the "minimum recomended settings", i drop all the detail to zero and i still get only 3 fps, even in the car choice menu. i don't know for sure what may be causing such accute slowdown, but i'm leaned towards the hypothesis that the game dislikes my hardware config... or maybe even some drivers i have installed.

CoolDude
06-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Replying to some of you:
RACER is a hobby project from Ruud Van Gaal. He's a professional programmer but only codes for RACER in his free time.

There is very basic AI ATM, which basically follows the tarmac at around 50kph. No, you can't race it, since it takes control of your car. So basically it's just there waiting to be worked on. There is indeed no fun of driving alone (except maybe for some eyecandy), but IMHO there is no fun in playing against the CPU anyway. And yes, there is very basic, rude multiplayer. 1on1 only ATM.

It doesn't have that many bugs as one would believe by reading this. The main problem in RACER is the need for accurate data for each car (since it's a simulation, not an arcade game, so you need real values for a realistic performance), from gear ratios to tyre data (pacejka). So basically getting a nice ini (cars work with a car.ini file) is really hard.

You say it doesn't turn as much as it should be. Well, as I said it's not arcadish at all. You can't do a 90 degrees turn at 160kph (its complete name is "RACER - Free Car Simulation").

Again, it's a simulation. Imagine playing GT3/driving a real car with a keyboard or a digital (1/0 position only) input device. Huge nightmare, huh?

Indeed, the good thing about RACER ATM is that it's open to tracks, cars (and soon plugins) made by the community. We have some beauties there, real masterpieces.

As incredible as it may sound, I use a mouse/keyboard combination to drive. Why the mouse? Because it is analog. And guess what? I even have a clutch key (yes, clutch). Realism at its best.

To PortuguesePilot: Olá compatriota! lol :) I'll be glad to help ya getting RACER to work. It's worth it. And my PC specs aren't that high.

RACER just had a huge boost recently, with the 0.5 final release. Ruud is now working on a new sound engine and updating the graphic engine (read: more eyecandy :) ).

Try it. I still browse NFSCars every day, but RACER is the main reason I stopped playing NFS :)

cya :wave:

PortuguesePilot
06-24-2003, 03:29 PM
hello, CoolDude! it's nice to see another fellow portuguese on these boards. :)

i first gave Racer a try when it was on the 0.48 public version (i think). it was in a very rough stage of development and was a tad on the slow side (between 15 and 20 fps) but i still got some pleasure out of it due to the nice graphics (i adored the Citroën Xsara WRC) and the use of a Thrustmaster F1 RWT3 wheel which gave me a very "real", true analog driving effect (very similar to some cult games of mine, like "TNFS" and "Car & Driver"). meanwhile, my 6 year old steeringwheel went bust, i have no new steeringwheel as of yet and the new 0.50 version of Racer runs extremely slow on my machine.

i guess i'll download it again eventually and give it another try, maybe fuzzle around the config a bit more, because i may have "given up" on Racer too quickly ('cause it crashes my computer to a complete hault after a while and i need to reset my PC).
i'm thinking about buying a new wheel, maybe the Logitech MOMO Racing Force Feedback Wheel, then i'll probably give Racer another try. :super:

CaPa DoN
06-25-2003, 05:53 AM
i gave it up too early also, but there isn't much more to do than to just drive around, or do a multiplayer game. well multiplayer doen't work, and i'm not able to keep the car on the road so...i'm sorry Ruud but it's just no fun. but it's very nice to see those great cars, from different angles. but that gets boring very fast too. just my opinion

CoolDude
06-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Multiplayer does work. Quite fun too. It's still at a very basic stage tough. Basically you see the other car and its tyre smoke, but no sounds and it's a ghost car (you can drive through it). There's no split times, no comparison, nothing. Yet.

PortuguesePilot, quite a long time ago I also started reviewing cars (Portguese thing? lol), but at a point NFSCars lost all its comment database so they are gone now. I really like to read yours, tough! :) Keep 'em up!

v0.5 Final is much more stable than the last ones. I wonder why it crashes there. Rock solid on XP. About FPS, it REALLY depends on the track, car and cam you're using ATM. Also, RACER doesn't mind a slow CPU and relies a lot on the graphics card. I have a TNT myself (no, not a TNT2 :P ) and with a decent resolution I can still play well with some cars/tracks/cam combo.

Believe me, as weird as it sounds it's quite drivable with the mouse. I hear that a steering wheel is much better tough :) You just can't floor like you guys are used to ;)

The good part about RACER is that it's entirely a community thing. OK, Ruud did the coding, but there would be no models nor tracks if it weren't for us. We make the game.

Here's RACER's forum. You may have to register to see attachments. This is an extremely closed community tough, be sure to have some moderation on your eventual posting ;)
http://forum.racesimcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=111

cya :wave: