View Full Version : Just Bought IHRA Drag Racing......

MuscleCarFreak
08-17-2003, 04:58 PM
I went to Super Walmart lastnight with my friends, mostly to just get out of the house, But while I was there, I desided to see if there were a few good games out there. I was looking through, and I saw, that they had this game called, IHRA Drag Racing. It was just a wrapped up CD case without a box, or any booklets. I looked at the back, and to my surprize the graphics looked great! I was like, "Wow! This looks like an awsome game with great detail. Around 50 cars to choose from, customize, and race head on head with another dragster, and only for 10 bucks!" Well I later found out why the saying "You get what you pay for" is so popular :x ... I install the game to find out that the cars look like bars of soap, with a paint job made to look like a car. The sounds were poor, and the game play bites @$$. So I'm warning all of you guys that like Drag Racing Games.... DONT GET IT. ITS THE WORST 10 BUCKS YOU COULD SPEND!

But I have a question... If you look and it shows great graphics and detail on the back of the CD case, but the real gaphics are nothing like it, Isn't that False Advertisement??

DJC
08-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Azrael did exactly the same thing :wink: I'm sure he'll have a few words to add here :mrgreen:

TTC
08-17-2003, 05:29 PM
it looked pretty good to me, gotta mess with the settings

MuscleCarFreak
08-17-2003, 06:16 PM
it looked pretty good to me, gotta mess with the settings

Well, what I'm saying is that, on the back of the cd case, it shows a cool looking red 57 Chevy, a white and blue Camaro, a dark red Mustang convertible, I think its a 65 stang... not sure... and the menus shown on the case is a tad different from the game... About the only cars that look half way desent is the Grand National GNX. and a few Funny cars, but thats it... the tracks look kind of nice :eyes:

Maybe you can tell me what eeds to be done to get the cars to look better if its possible, but theres nothing in the setting stating anything about car detail... :crazy:

Anonymous
08-17-2003, 06:32 PM
technically its not false advertising because the computer they tested on is probably not identical to yours. Hence you cant expect the same graphics. They probably had everything set to high, 1600x1200 res, AA/AS at max. And the pictures are small so they look better. But Ill tell ya. I never buy a game without checking some game reviews or unless its a series I am familiar with. But hey its only ten bucks. The screens at gamespot dont look terrible.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/news/010105/ihra_screen002.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/news/010105/ihra_screen006.jpg

MuscleCarFreak
08-17-2003, 06:38 PM
I understand what you mean, but the thing is, these cars they show on the case isnt even in the game. and it doesnt take much to get the best graphics and stuff becasue the System Requirements are as followed:
Pentium II 300Mhz
64 MB RAM
450 MB of free Hard Drive Space
3D hardware Graphics Accelelerator
4x CD-ROM

My computer isnt that slow...hehe... Im sure that if it can take alot of the games I do play, it can take this game, but your right... I should just start checking out the reviews and such.... :)

Anonymous
08-17-2003, 06:59 PM
i really only trust PC Gamer with my PC game reviewing needs. Gamespot is only good for pictures. They wouldnt know a good pc game if it kicked em in the nuts.

TTC
08-18-2003, 11:02 AM
i putted all the settings high and 1024 resolution.
plus i changed the settings of the video card

CaPa DoN
08-19-2003, 02:22 PM
haha i know the feeling: buying a cheap game, but thinking "it cant be thát worse", and coming home, try it, and uninstall it, and throw the cd out of the window. let me guess: was it a Activision Value game?
you could go back to the store, but here they wont switch games, too afraid that you've copied it. maybe you can sell it to someone with a bad computer....

Azrael
08-19-2003, 03:05 PM
they told me that the gfx card they used was a voodoo
and thats where it makes the best gfx so i put the trusty voodoo in to check no change same crappy 10 poly modelshttp://ihra.bethsoft.com/images/screenshots/pc_scrn04.jpg here is what they show on the box http://ihra.bethsoft.com/images/screenshots/pc_scrn02.jpg but you get these crap 10 poly models with horried textures the in game looks nothing like what it shows you they lied and there useing that as an excuse im still pissed at this and they never reponded back to me after i told them ive tried it with both my Ge force4 and and my Voodoo3/3000 and Geforce2 every time it looks the same there are no high rez textures on the cd show how can there be decent models http://ihra.bethsoft.com/images/screenshots/pc_scrn01.jpg
you get bullSh!t in my opinon and the game sucks in general its not realistic and the gfx so crappy i installed it after 2 hours of attempedin to make it look better sadly you can get your money back after you open the game funny huh
it also funny the game came out in 2001 but they used glide and not opengl or direct3d anyway im pissed

Spikeg
08-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Another game not too get is Muscle Car 2 American Muscle. That game just plain out sucks. The only good thing about it is the tracks are extremely detailed and would be fun to drive if the cars had physics worth a shit. The car detail, mesh, and physics aren't worth a crap. The funny part is they released the game in the 1st Quarter of 2002 and they're making a MuscleCar 3 to be released next year.
Returning games is such a pill these days especially at Walmart and the Sam's club. I had to return damaged game to them and they didn't have anymore of that game so I said give me a refund of $10 then and they fed me there BS policies and tried to say I broke the damn disc when I didn't and I told them to call the software company's tech support up and they told Sams to give me a refund which I finally got after 30 minutes of arguing with them Aholes.
MCF you can always sell the game to a local game boutique like EBGames, you probably won't get $10 for it but at least you can get part of your money back.

MuscleCarFreak
08-19-2003, 11:14 PM
At first I was pretty mad about them Lying to us, but if you over look the crappy cars, it is kinda cool how you can change the engines and all that stuff.... I was just curious, so I grabed an old Hotrod Magazine and it showed a 55 chevy with a 540ci big block... I checked out the bore and stroke in the magazine, and then took a car, changed the motor, and made the same bore and stroke, and it gave me the same ci numbers.... and then I added opter stuff to the engine that was in the real engine in the magazine, and after I was done, it infact had the same numbers as the 1150hp 540ci big block that was in the chevy.... and tested it on the track and it ran the qt in around 12 seconds just like the real car, so besides the cars, its fairly realistic, but its to bad you can see the engine sticking out of the hood, after all your big mods.... I wish the burn outs could be a bit better too,