Go Back   NFSCars Forums > NFS Forums > General NFS Community Discussion

General NFS Community Discussion Discuss everything related to Future Need For Speed developments, Case Studies, and Racing Events, which are not covered in other specific forums

View Poll Results: What is Need For Speed?
Classical games involving exotic cars and trails 32 62.75%
Illegal racing regardless of theme. 15 29.41%
Pure racing 16 31.37%
Discuss 1 1.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2012   #1
Reptillian
Fly by the darkness.

Send a message via AIM to Reptillian Send a message via MSN to Reptillian Send a message via Yahoo to Reptillian
Default What Need For Speed is really is...

Classic exploration of exotic cars in exotic trails.-1
Illegal racing regardless of the theme-2
Just pure racing-3
Others-Discuss and 4

I picked illegal racing regardless of the theme because that what it has turned out to be for the most games and most just picks Need For Speed games for cop chases.

Last edited by Reptillian; 03-05-2012 at 07:45 PM..
Reptillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #2
junior6at

To me NFS has always been about the cars. The theme throughout the series has been diverse. However the common thread that runs across all the games is the cars and the feeling of adrenaline you get from driving them like you wouldn't normally do in real life. It's the reason why this has been the longest racing series I've stuck by and will continue to follow.
junior6at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #3
Mikeman101
Microsoft Fanboi

I voted Pure Racing, because thats what Need for Speed is (in my option)

My soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/marigoldrock

My Band's YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPghwXNoo65KaARZtxDJm1g
Mikeman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #4
realife91
Junior Malaysian Member

NFS Underground 1&2, MW, Carbon, Undercover= Illegal street racing
NFS Pro Street, Shift 1&2 = Pure racing
NFS The Run, HP 2010 = Classic exploration of exotic cars in exotic trails
realife91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #5
Sakura Haruka
Cute Coordinator Pkmn

Send a message via MSN to Sakura Haruka

Hi!!

I quote myself from another topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura Haruka View Post
...ok, NFS start as a "Arcade-Simulation racing game, about the "Cars", yes, "cars", drive them in ""variety"" of tracks and circuits, remerbering of obstacles as the "hard" Traffic, Police, Weather, Night and more!;
also, Know everything about these cars, the famous ""showcase"", history and real perfomance information of the cars; also Music, Who remembers the work of Rom di Prisco, Saki Kakas, Alistair Hair, Jeff Dick and more?; they known that music was to NFS, a racing game; and I repeat again; about the "cars"!! and we don't forget, ""Fun"" of a Racing Game!!
See you later!!
Sakura Haruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #6
NismoZ58

I will just say now that it is not pure racing. If you want pure racing, pick up Forza Motorsport or GranTurismo, but for god's sake stay away from NFS. You haven't experienced pure racing until you've gone out and thrashed a Mazda 787B around Le Mans. NFS tends to cover... different grounds (except for Shift and Prostreet, neither of which turned out to be very successful).
NismoZ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #7
Martin the hedgehog
The Air is Not

My point of view*:
(*PlayStation versions were picked)
Remember TNFS. It was classical game involving exotic cars and trails with some bit of illegal racing (sprint tracks with traffic and CHP Mustangs) and pure racing (it was a simulator after all (a simulator where you don't have to race on special closed tracks!? I love Pioneer productions and EA Canada!)). That was game about cars, exotic cars. Nonetheless, it's still fun.
NFS2. Style has been changed. No sprint tracks, no cops, no Porsches. And now you're able to choose between arcade and simulator mode. But it still had awesome showcases.
(PSX NFS2&3 also let you drift in arcade mode... just like in HP2010)
NFS3. I don't even mind where EA Canada picked such bulls**t engine for PC version, but NFS on PC became arcade now. PSX version was based on the same engine as NFS2, so you had same options as for NFS2, and it don't differs much from it's prequel. But finally we got cops.
NFS4. Now NFS became an arcade even on PSX (PC version uses same bulls**t engine as PC NFS3). Now we finally have an option to play as cops, but we lost showcases (now we just have a rotating car and a male voice that tells us the car's stats).
NFS5. That was game about Porsches. ONLY. So it's obviously failed. And now PSX and PC swapping roles: PC version has awesome simulator-like engine, PSX version is overarcaded bulls**t.

The conclusion is: NFS series was planned to be simulator-alike classical games involving exotic cars and trails, but the more NFS are made, the more thay about illegal racings, police chases, ricing, etc., but not about. And that's bad.
Old 03-15-2012   #8
tgomola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin the hedgehog View Post
NFS4. Now NFS became an arcade even on PSX (PC version uses same bulls**t engine as PC NFS3). Now we finally have an option to play as cops, but we lost showcases (now we just have a rotating car and a male voice that tells us the car's stats).
PC version of High Stakes did have showcases, and it wasn't the first NFS featuring "be the cop" mode (NFS3 for PC was).

For me, NFS was always about illegal races involving exotic cars and scenic drives.
tgomola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012   #9
Sasuke024
GT fan

Send a message via Skype™ to Sasuke024

mind explaining the "overarcaded bulls**t" on psx?
Old 03-15-2012   #10
Raximus
NFS World addict...

Send a message via MSN to Raximus Send a message via Skype™ to Raximus

Need For Speed was, is & will always be about Pure Racing. Either it is with cops, with tunning, with anything. Since The Need For Speed, untill The Run. Even, look at the title, it says: SPEED. By that NFS is NFS.
Old 03-15-2012   #11
Martin the hedgehog
The Air is Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgomola View Post
PC version of High Stakes did have showcases, and it wasn't the first NFS featuring "be the cop" mode (NFS3 for PC was).
Quote:
(*PlayStation versions were picked)
PC versions were... I told what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasuke024 View Post
mind explaining the "overarcaded bulls**t" on psx?
Awful handling and physics.
Old 03-15-2012   #12
Sasuke024
GT fan

You missed the point completely. Those games are classics. Handling and physics didn't matter that much back then.
Old 03-16-2012   #13
nfslover101
Forza Lover now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximus View Post
Need For Speed was, is & will always be about Pure Racing. Either it is with cops, with tuning, with anything. Since The Need For Speed, untill The Run. Even, look at the title, it says: SPEED. By that NFS is NFS.
True, but the older titles were still the best in my opinion. I wouldn't really call is a classical racer focusing on Exotics, must newer NFS don't have a lot...then again the older ones didn't have many either.
nfslover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #14
Martin the hedgehog
The Air is Not

Quote:
You missed the point completely. Those games are classics. Handling and physics didn't matter that much back then.
Old 03-16-2012   #15
Sasuke024
GT fan

Don't hate, appreciate.
Old 03-16-2012   #16
Jspeed836
Running at Sonicspeed!

To me NFS has been a game that took you into the world of cars. Letting you drive the car of your dreams whenever you chose to play the game. But lately it feels like the game has come out to be only for the looks and I remember when i played NFSIISE the first time and thought that it was one of the best racing games.The Music,cars,levels and the explanation and facts of the cars made me very happy to play it and some of the cars I love so dearly and are clame to be my favorites today were from playing that game.I just really hope that they renew the classic style of all the NFS games again and bring them to future car gamers.Thank you for reading my post. Oh and I agree with you guys too. Thank you for posting your thoughts on the game.

Last edited by Jspeed836; 03-16-2012 at 10:43 PM..
Jspeed836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012   #17
Martin the hedgehog
The Air is Not

Quote:
Don't hate, appreciate.
And still I apperciate PSX versions of NFS 3 & 4 and PC version of NFS 5 more.
Why? Previous NFSs had better physics and handling (I don't even mentioning that TNFS was a simulator), why EA should suddenly make it sh**ty?
Old 03-16-2012   #18
Sasuke024
GT fan

Who knows. I still own all psx versions and love em.
Old 03-17-2012   #19
Martin the hedgehog
The Air is Not

Quote:
I still own all psx versions and love em.
Me too.
Old 03-18-2012   #20
Jspeed836
Running at Sonicspeed!

I have still have NFSSEII,NFSHPIII,NFSHS,NFSPU and NFSHPII all for PC. Also I still have the complete Underground series for PS2. Very happy if they had it here (Awesome Face)
Old 03-24-2012   #21
funeralxempire
CRX Fanboy

Straight up, easily accessible racing. I'd agree with option 1, except the only thing I like about exotic cars in NFS is replacing them with hot hatches, sports compacts and pony cars.
funeralxempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #22
Nissank
Nerd for Speed

just look at its name, its NEED FOR SPEED. regardless what car,tracks,etc this game is all about sensation of driving 200kmh+ car and actually FEELS like you're driving 200kmh+ car (from arcade to simulation, this should be a must) whenether chased by polices or dangerous turns on closed tracks. the customization should focus on performance and aerodynamics. nothing more, nothing less.
Nissank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #23
MCO
Beach Party Playa

You know what, that voting has weird points.

1. Most of the NFS Games were illegal street racing, except Pro Street, Shift and Shift 2 Unleashed.So "Point 2" is sketchy when you look at "Point 1" - the classics were about illegal street racing too.

2.Pure Racing, that's what I'd call - You, Your Ride and the Street.

My suggestion are:

1. Hot Pursuits, Scenic Drive, Hot Cars
2. Customizing Your Ride
3. The Story

But in real, NFS is "the need for speed" - driving with high speeds on the streets - anywhere, anytime - involving the thrill of the chase aganist cops, rivals or the time.

Last edited by MCO; 03-30-2012 at 03:31 PM..
MCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #24
Richardc269

Actually, NFS 1 up to Hot Pursuit 2 were "Road racing", not "street racing". Street racing is in towns/cities (and boring as all hell), road racing's out of towns and such. Or it's supposed to be anyway.

I don't really like street racing games. They're just boring compared to Hot Pursuit 2 and earlier. HS/PU has always been my two favorites.
Richardc269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012   #25
D4RKCOD3

Look at the title, NFS has always been a break-the-rules racer.
D4RKCOD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #26
Richardc269

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4RKCOD3 View Post
Look at the title, NFS has always been a break-the-rules racer.
I still consider it "Road Racing" in the early games. The rest were street racing. But I agree with you on the "breaking the rules" style racing.
Old 04-18-2012   #27
Gamer boy
Super NFS Modder

Location: Universe/Solar System/Earth/Asia/Somewhere else/In my home/Infront of my PC
Send a message via MSN to Gamer boy

To be honest, for me it's mixture of all those options that you mentioned in first post. So for me it's difficult to choose. But one thing is common that i see in whole series of NFS. Mostly, there is illegally street racing content shown in NFS games, for example, HP2, UG, UG2, MW, Carbon, Undercover, HP2010, Run.

Quote me in your replies if you're agree with me.
Gamer boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012   #28
SLZ Roadstar
Most Wanted V.I.P.

Send a message via MSN to SLZ Roadstar Send a message via Yahoo to SLZ Roadstar Send a message via Skype™ to SLZ Roadstar

True NFSes are from NFS1-NFS:HP2 & NFS:MW. NFS:U, NFS:U2, NFS:C were just a replica of Fast & Furious movies into PC Games.

NFS1- NFS6:HP2 were fun to play as customization was limited. We could play for numerous hours without getting bored. NFS:U was inspired from Fast & Furious series & NFS:U2 from 2 Fast 2 Furious. NFS:U2 is just improvement on NFS:U with deeper customizations, more cars, free roam & different types of racing modes. NFS:U2 was just developed by EA to know what the user really wants by giving wide variety of options & customization. EA wanted to know what racing modes does a user likes to try, how deep customization they like & ultimately kept those thoughts in mind when developing newer NFSes. NFS:MW was a good one & worth something playable after 2 damn years. But next year, Carbon was a disappointment. Undercover is also a nice one but it doesn't give the feel of NFS at all. It lacks the charisma & enthusiasm which forces our nerves to seem it attractive to be worth playable a NFS. Never played Pro Street, Run & Shift but from what I have seen, they are none better than Formula 1. NFS:Hot Pursuit 2 also lacks the feel of a NFS but its enjoyable & has very competitive environment. Not having cops to chase us in Free Roam mode sucks though.
Old 04-18-2012   #29
tgomola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLZ Roadstar View Post
NFS:Hot Pursuit 2010 also lacks the feel of a NFS but its enjoyable & has very competitive environment. Not having cops to chase us in Free Roam mode sucks though.
Corrected that for you
tgomola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012   #30
Richardc269

I also tried HP 2010. It just sucked. It wasn't really like the original, and that's what failed.
Old 05-02-2012   #31
Kent Traffic Cop
**** This Shit

Anything up to and including Hot Pursuit 2 = Need For Speed

Underground and onwards = a load of sh*t with an NFS badge
Old 05-02-2012   #32
Raximus
NFS World addict...

Send a message via MSN to Raximus Send a message via Skype™ to Raximus

For me NFS is from The Need For Speed untill NFS Hot Pursuit 2. After that, NFS left being NFS. It introduced customization which at the begginig (1994), it seemed something strange. EA wanted to test something different & that "different" was the customization. They though the cusomization would be famous but they forgot what NFS was. Since Underground untill The Run, we can see customization, even in Hot Pursuit 2010 with the nitrous.
I just want NFS back, those amazing chases where you were chased by a 911 or by a Corvette & you were driving a Ferrari. Just that I want. Is that so difficult?

P.S.: If you were not driving a Ferrari, you were driving a Ford or a McLaren F1.
Old 06-06-2012   #33
Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raximus View Post
For me NFS is from The Need For Speed untill NFS Hot Pursuit 2. After that, NFS left being NFS. It introduced customization which at the begginig (1994), it seemed something strange. EA wanted to test something different & that "different" was the customization. They though the cusomization would be famous but they forgot what NFS was. Since Underground untill The Run, we can see customization, even in Hot Pursuit 2010 with the nitrous.
I just want NFS back, those amazing chases where you were chased by a 911 or by a Corvette & you were driving a Ferrari. Just that I want. Is that so difficult?

P.S.: If you were not driving a Ferrari, you were driving a Ford or a McLaren F1.
So true my friend. Ferrari (Any), Ford (GT, GT40, GT90 & Mustang Fastback) and Mclaren F1 (Stadard, LM & GTR) for life...

Last edited by Career; 06-06-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Career is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #34
Cheetahboy
Quarterback

What Need for Speed really is?

Need for Speed offers you a seat in world's hottest cars with you driving on beautiful scenic environment while being chased by Cops.That's what NFS is, Hot Cars, Hot Pursuit and Scenic Drive.

Customizing was available since NFS III Hot Pursuit - Performance Fine Tuning.

It introduced Upgrade Packs with NFS High Stakes (Career Mode) and offered single parts with NFS Porsche Unleashed.

However, the largest range and deepness of customizing and building up your entire car was presented with NFS Motor City/Motor City Online.

In NFS Underground it went a few steps back of the range of Parts to Packages but offered other new visual customizing features and advanced it with NFS Underground 2.

However, since NFS Most Wanted the Visual Customizing became a bit more simplified and less "Underground" type.
Cheetahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #35
Pain54

Pro Street was a fail im sorry to say they kind of screwed it up by making it legal racing on fictional and some real roads it didnt feel like NFS and no police and to make it up they made nfs undercover which wasnt a bad game after all its kind of confusing but i dont know why everyone says its bad its actually decent u have the original elements from NFS MW Such as Police it was an improvment from NFS Pro street and all the other nfs games there were more cars and more too it but the map was TOO big thou thats all im saying.
Pain54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012   #36
Martin the hedgehog
The Air is Not

^ This is the longest sentence I've ever seen.