Go Back   NFSCars Forums > NFS Forums > General NFS Discussion (2007- Current) > NFS: World

NFS: World Discuss about the Free to play Online Only Racing game.

Old 07-28-2010   #1
SubyRS
Oh, a wise guy eh?

Default NFSW Controller Compatability Thread (Updated August 5, 2010)

I just thought I would start a topic here on the progress of Game Controller compatability in NFS World.
It would be great if the comments were held to solutions or ideas for getting controllers to work instead of complaints about what controllers do not work right now.

[Admin insert]
Quote:
The list of officially supported racing wheels and controllers can be found in the game's readme file but for you convenience I thought I would publish them here for quick reference. Below are the racing wheels and controllers that NFS World officially supports:

Microsoft
Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Logitech
Logitech ChillStream
Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510
Logitech RumblePad
Logitech Rumblepad 2
Logitech WingMan Cordless Gamepad
Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

Thrustmaster
Thrustmaster Universal Challenge Racing Wheel

Remember that this list will continue to grow as we do plan on supporting more controllers.
[/Admin insert]

So far I have found this topic on the official forum that describes how to fake the name of your game controller to get NFSW to recognize it.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/1277003.page

I have several analog game pads that don't ever get used, so I am not buying any more.
I do have a MS X360 Wireless Controller Gamepad for Windows, but NFSW only supports the "wired" version.
I tried connecting it with the charge and play kit for the X360 but then it comes up as "X360 Wireless Controller by charge and play kit" in Windows game controllers.

I tried editing the driver ini file last night to change the name to MS X360 Controller for Windows but it would not work. I will be trying to find the right OS registry entries as detailed at the link above and will let you know when/if I get it working and how it was done.

If you get your game pad or wheel to work please post how you did it here.

Game PC: AMD 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N32-SLI Delux Wireless Ed., Corsair HX620 Modular PS, Win XP SP2b, DX9.c, EvGA 275GTX Superclocked /1792mb, Creative X-fi Pro, Corsair DDR2 2048mb dual channel, WD 150 Velociraptor, Asus PG221 22"LCD, Logitech MoMo Force wheel.
VooDoo PC: Window 98SE, MSI KT3 Ultra, AMD XP1900, 512mb DDR, VooDoo 5500 AGP, SB Live 5.1, 40gig Samsung HD, Samsung DVD rom, 300 watt PS, NEC 15" TFT monitor, with speakers!

Last edited by Sinister; 08-05-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Insertion of Official documentation.
SubyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #2
Da Spaz Man

try waiting for the next update. becuz currently you cnt change the controls
Da Spaz Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #3
SubyRS
Oh, a wise guy eh?

It would be nice if EA added support in a new update. There was one last night but nothing new added.
The idea here is that yes you can change things so NFSW will see your controller. But it is only certain controllers that respond to tweaking information entries.
Game PC: AMD 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2N32-SLI Delux Wireless Ed., Corsair HX620 Modular PS, Win XP SP2b, DX9.c, EvGA 275GTX Superclocked /1792mb, Creative X-fi Pro, Corsair DDR2 2048mb dual channel, WD 150 Velociraptor, Asus PG221 22"LCD, Logitech MoMo Force wheel.
VooDoo PC: Window 98SE, MSI KT3 Ultra, AMD XP1900, 512mb DDR, VooDoo 5500 AGP, SB Live 5.1, 40gig Samsung HD, Samsung DVD rom, 300 watt PS, NEC 15" TFT monitor, with speakers!
Old 07-31-2010   #4
SubyRS
Oh, a wise guy eh?

I finally got my Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter for Windows working perfectly in NFSW.

The trick was to install the software that comes with the unit. Then go immediately to the registry and locate the controllers OEM name to change it to:
Controller (Xbox 360 for Windows)

The entry in Win XP is at:
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/VID_045E&PID_02A1

Then connect the wireless adapter and sync it with the controller. You should see the faked name in Windows Game Controllers now. The "Controllers" option in World will still be greyed out, and the controller does not work in the menus , but it works flawlessly driving the game.

All axis' are as they should be, like playing an X360 racing game. All analog axis work, as do the analog triggers for throttle and brake. Even the four colored buttons are linked to the correct power up functions in the game! Well worth the effort involved to solve this. Hope this helps others.

Last edited by SubyRS; 07-31-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Old 07-31-2010   #5
OscarDaGrouch

good looks on the info
OscarDaGrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #6
rcgldr

I never could get the brake to work with my twin joystick setup, so I use a button for brakes instead (I can map buttons to keystrokes), but I do have analog steering and throttle.
rcgldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010   #7
SubyRS
Oh, a wise guy eh?

The success rate of modifying the name of your particular game controller depends on how similar to an officially supported controller it is.

For instance: My Wireless Xbox 360 console controller with the Wireless PC adapter is obviously going to work identical to the same USB wired PC X360 controller with a different name.

So when you pick a controller profile in the windows registry, pick one that is as close to the unsupported controller you are trying to use.

If you scroll through the entire:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/

registry tree (win XP), you will see the OEM names of many game controllers Windows has drivers for allready. Pick the one that comes as close to your controller as possible and rename it. There has been success with many of the unsupported Logitech game pads this way. Even FF wheels can be faked in. Also, the more game controller software drivers you have installed on your PC, the more registry name options you will have. So install that "Wingman" or Thrustmaster software and any other you have.

Now I am reading that there are some controllers supported in NFSW that are not in the EA list. One wheel is the 'Logitech MOMO Racing USB'. So you can plug in some of the early MoMo wheels or Driving Force Pro wheel after changing the registry to the Momo Racing name. Or if you have the MoMo Racing wheel you can just plug in and play. I have the original Momo Force wheel.

Last edited by SubyRS; 08-11-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Old 09-13-2010   #8
FreelancerMar

Am I the only one here wondering how much Logitech Paid EA to ensure that only it's most expensive controllers are supported or Useable in this game??? I also do not believe it to be a Bug or Mistake that the 2 most needed menu items are greyed out and unuseable. All I can say is this. Am I glad that I did not get sukkered into paying for this title. If standard Direct Input Protocall was used for this title, then there would not be any controller issues at all period.

What a waste of a download.
FreelancerMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #9
SubyRS
Oh, a wise guy eh?

Trying to keep this from becomming a complaint thread and instead a help topic. I haven't been playing NFSW for a while but thought I would share the info on the controller below.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming...e&strf=Partner

To get the Logitech Cordless Precision PS3 game pad to work do the following:

Plug the controllers wireless adapter into a USB port. Make sure all drivers are found and ready for use. Then in Regedit go to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/MediaProperties/PrivateProperties/Joystick/OEM/VID_046D&PID_CAD2

Change the OEM name from: PS3/USB Cordless Gamepad

To: Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Close Regedit and check the Windows game controllers to verify the name change took place. This is another game controller that works flawless in NFSW with all buttons in the correct position. If the name did not take you either did something wrong or you can try restarting your PC and check again.

Last edited by SubyRS; 10-15-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Old 12-10-2011   #10
sdimishev

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0pz...eature=related this work. With all controllers
sdimishev is offline   Reply With Quote