Go Back   NFSCars Forums > Need For Speed Editing Section > F.A.Q.'s & Tutorials > Zmodeler and Other 3D program Tutorials

Old 12-10-2007   #1
RedTwentyFour
RICK
Second to none!

Location: Dortmund, Germany, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Milkyway, Alpha Quadrant, Universe, Infinity.
Send a message via AIM to RedTwentyFour Send a message via MSN to RedTwentyFour
Default 3Ds Max Main Modifier Tools In Theory

I got asked to explain some of those really important tools you got in programs like 3ds max and maya, so here it goes.
some of those tools might function differently due to plugins, like i have one that gives me the ability to use the bridge tool over an edge, but thats all up to the users taste - you can pretty much archive everything with those tools bone stock.

Bevel
The bevel tool gives you the ability to extrude (explained at the bottom) a surface, and size its top surface smaller or bigger.

Bevel in Action:

Boolean
Boolean is a mathematical process the computer does for you, it adds or substracts a selected mesh onto a prior selected mesh, and gives you the ability to easily make holes, or ornaments, spikes, etc.
(this is an extended function and doesnt belong here, technically.)

Boolean in Action:

Bridge
An awesome way to connect surfaces together, you select 2 edges and it builds up a surface inbetween.

Bridge in Action:

Chamfer
Chamfer is a way to archive either another polygon row ontop of an edge, or make an edge rounded, this is like the master tool to every car modeller.

Chamfer in Action:

Connect
Connect is my favorite tool, it gives you the ability to select edges and just tile them however you like, i use this alot, on almost every part on a mesh i build up - this tool is almost ESSENTIAL to make a GREAT model ... wow i sound like an advertiser here

Connect in Action:

Extrude
The Extrude tool grows up another 3 dimensional surface on top of a selected surface, according to its postition and alignment.

Extrude in Action:

there are more tools, wich i didnt picture because theyre something to play around and find out by yourself:
Weld
Weld Connects 2 vertexes together that are next to each other.

Target Weld
Target Weld connects a selected vertex to another selected vertex next to it.

Create
Creates a Vertex or a polygon according to selected vertexes whereever you like - its kind of like a freehand modelling tool.

Collapse
Merges any selected vertexes together to one, wich then will be placed in the exact middle of all prior selected vertexes together.

Detach
Detaches Vertexes or Polys from its nearest neighbours, and either leaves them in the same object or puts them into a new object. it can make a copy of the selected vertex/poly too.

Attach
This is the exact opposite of the Detach tools, it attachs Vertexes, Polys or objects to a selected object.

Remove
This removes any unneded vertexes, or edges, additionally it can transform triangles to ngons.

Here is a little "map" to get to all those tools inside of 3DS Max, i cannot tell you where you will find them inside of Maya or any other program thoo :/

The Positions of those tools are mainly all the same in the different modes.

Any Questions or ideas? Hit me up,
- Rick.
If we didn't know about geometric shapes like circles, squares, and triangles, for example, we might come up with more unusual shapes like squash shape, rutabaga shape, and Pontiac Aztek shape.

Last edited by RedTwentyFour; 12-10-2007 at 06:34 PM..
RedTwentyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007   #2
Sinister
Former Staff

Gold 

well done rick, keep this up and we'll have to have a dedicated forum just for you.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011   #3
RacingFreak
NFSCars Member

Send a message via MSN to RacingFreak Send a message via Skype™ to RacingFreak

Errrm, no awake mods still?
Old 02-18-2011   #4
Spyke
Super Veloce

well expained. xD
Old 02-25-2011   #5
Mikeman101
Microsoft Fanboi

where can i download it and is it easy to use for beginners?
Mikeman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #6
Mostwanted12354

hey rick. i been reading alot ur forums on nfscars.com and i have a question for u if u could help =) i have photoshop and autodesk 3ds 2012 and i was curious on how to get all the body upgrades to work with the ford fusion sport i swapped with the audi tt in u2. if u could help it be great thx u =)

Last edited by Mostwanted12354; 02-09-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Mostwanted12354 is offline   Reply With Quote