Go Back   NFSCars Forums > NFS Forums > General NFS Discussion (1994-2006) > NFS: High Stakes

NFS: High Stakes General Discussion of Need for Speed High Stakes (NFS4)

Old 07-28-2002   #1
Remko
Canyon Drifter

Default Running NFS4 on Windows XP, Win Vista, or Win 7

Solution one:

The most simple solution one could think of in order to make NFS High Stakes work on a modern gaming rig, wether it's Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows Seven, 32 or 64 bit, there are two excellent allround-patches for it, the StockPack and the ExpansionPack by JimD.

Instructions:
- Install NFS High Stakes, full installation needed!
- Download and install either the StockPack or the ExpansionPack

What's the difference between EP and SP?

Simple. The StockPack is the basic package including all necessary patches, plus the IP Lounge in order to be able to still race online. This service is provided by [Team RS], on a side note.

the ExpansionPack on the other hand, is a very large package of the above mentioned allround patch package and a big number of addons cars, addon tracks and JimD's NFS High Stakes mixer.

You can download the StockPack and ExpansionPack here:

http://www.freak-ds.de/dl-tools.php

If you have any questions or experience trouble with High Stakes, contact me.

Solution two:

ORIGINAL POST by AFTERBURNER 78
(transferred and modified by Viper)

This topic is for anyone having problems running NFS 4:High Stakes on windows xp professional/Home edition.

Before start you have to download this 2 files nfspatch 4.50 and NFSHS Fast Graphics Patch by BOOSTER from www.nd4spdworld.com in nfs4 section download.

Once you have the two files downloaded,
  • Run a FULL Install of your NFS 4 game and make sure to turn off all unnecessary programs running in the background, including your Antivirus software.
  • After the Game has been Installed, go to your Need For Speed High Stakes/3dSetup folder and run the the 3dSetup program and select D3d device 1 - don't worry if you get a message that tells you that it is an unsupported by game.
  • Then install nfspatch 4.50...it will ask to overwrite some files and you have to answer yes.
  • Then install nfspatch10 and when it prompt for which file you want to install you have to deselect nfs4 dll - [b6]instead nfs5 dll must be selected[/b].
  • The next prompt will ask you to select nfs directory....if you do not remember then select BROWSE, search for it and click install.
  • After that you have to go to graphic card 3d installation of nfs and recheck that card is always d3d device 1.confirm with ok.
    Than start with double click on desktop icon without any compatibility mode.

p.s. use compatibility mode only for error of invalid win32 application.

My notes :
  • This procedure can be useful to people that have ati radeon 7500/8500 cards or Geforce because and game when was started return to desktop without enter the game.
  • nfspatc10, the NFSHS Fast Graphics Patch, is a patch that increase graphic cards performance.....not in speed but in capacity of elaboration of graphic card.
    In some old pc such as celeron 500 i have discovered that this patch increase speed of game.

EDIT:Viper

Last edited by Freak-DS; 05-25-2011 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: Actualized the solutions
Remko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002   #2
stingray1974

Default Running NFS4 on Windows XP (new)

Afterburner, what do you mean. use compatibilty mode if you have a "not a cvalid win32 application"?
stingray1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002   #3
Afterburner78

stingray1974
for compatibility mode i mean right click on nfshs file in nfs directory and in the tab Compatibility select win95/98 for solving this error.
If i'm not clear email me and i explain it better.

Bye
Afterburner78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002   #4
Crustacean

Default Cant get into Car Options....

it sure as hell works.......!!!

tks. buddy.....ur a life saver.......
btw. just installing the NFSHS 4.5 patch didnt work for me......had to also install the 'Booster' patch that u mentioned.......
there's still a small problem though........when i start the game via the desktop shortcut, i get an error that my drive has less than 1 MB of space.....i just ignore it and the game works fine.......

btw, my drive has over 3GB of space (go figure!) and i use a Hercules GeForce2 MX 64 MB card.......

tks. again.......

Dont think you can KNOW you can.......
mmmmmmmmm..........I think i can
Crustacean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002   #5
Phatal_Racing

Hey guys... Im new to this board and i dont make cars unfortunatly but i have a question about nfshs and XP... My hardrive is less than 50% full and my game still says that I have less than 1mb or HD space left. I did the patch already and it works great... Thanx for dat But this msg still pops up... However (I dont know if u guys are against this) my game is a burnt version. I hope u guys can help me
Phatal_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002   #6
Phatal_Racing

Its because of that 1mb warning... The game isnt able to create or modify the config.dat file in ur savedata folder... Im not sure how to fix this and now i got this other problem... It only shows up to the porshe 911.. i have a carerra gt, saleen and cops but they dont showe
Old 09-29-2002   #7
Phatal_Racing

Hey guys.... i got a file to work for me!! Finally!! I got it from nfs2000.de

the file is call "cdpatcher_v2"

i got it a while ago so if its not there gimme a shout and ill see where i can upload it

:wave: hopes dis helps :beer:
Old 10-13-2002   #8
Lost Prophet

Send a message via AIM to Lost Prophet

Ok Ok.......I have the patches but when i try to race with a custom car NFS4 closes and it says:

Exception caught!
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION: read attempted @0xDBAD1188
CS=0000001B DS=00000023 ES=00000023 FS=0000003B GS=00000000
EDI=0176FDAC ESI=01972694 EAX=DBAD1188 EBX=029B12D5 ECX=0000000A EDX=DBAD1188
Eip=005548AB Ebp=0007D03C Esp=0007D00C SS=00000023
:bigmouth:

please help
Lost Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002   #9
Lost Prophet

Send a message via AIM to Lost Prophet
Default help 4 need 4 speed 3

Phatal, i tried the cd patch from nfs2000 but that didnt work either.... i have no idea whats wrong :crazy: :crying:
Lost Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002   #10
Afterburner78

Do you have installed on the same pc also a cd-writer?
If yes try to change cable between cd rom and cd writer....so it make a change of drive letters .....in the past it correct cd problem.
Or try to uninstall nfs and reinstall from cd writer instead of cdrom.....

I don't know why it not works.
let me know
Afterburner78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002   #11
GTR Boy

I done everything you said and nfs4 still doesnt work..
i d/l the 2 patches and still doesnt work..
Everytime i open it, it says "DMy Games\NFS4\NFS4\nfshs.exe is not a valid Win 32 application"
wat the hell???
Can someone please help me out here
thanx. :crying:
GTR Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002   #12
GTR Boy

FINALLY, Nfs4 works now on my Xp. :beer: I downloaded "cdpatcher_v2" and fixed up the .exe file.
Thnx Phatal_Racing.
Theres one problem, is their anyway i can play wit 32-bit, because in the graphics option it only has resulutions in 16-bit. If not is their a way to improve the graphics, because the car and the smokes all look bad like little boxes. :crazy:
GTR Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002   #13
HENNEP

Uhm,

I have a small problem.

Since i live in Holland i am not able anymore to buy NFS HS2, i have now a copy'd cd from a friend of me wich has the original cd.

Now my problem is that i have been trying to install NFS under windows Xp Pro.

I installed the patch 4.50 and the Graphics Accelerator.

Now when i start up the Shortcut i get a small box saying : Please Insert Game Disk.

I have been searching for a Crack on the internet to solve this

But everytime when i install the crack and i start the game i get the following error : Invalid win32 application.

Could anyone please tell me how i can fix this?

Its a shame that EA stopped selling NFS HS2 in Holland.

Gah i prefer the original so i won't have to do all this nasty work.

btw. i also tried with the compatibility mode and i tried to turn of the visual themes to, but the problem still remain.
oh and if you do not appreciate it that i am using a copy then please tell so, then i will leave you all alone.

Thanks in advance
HENNEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002   #14
Sander
Founder (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HENNEP
Uhm,

I have a small problem.

Since i live in Holland i am not able anymore to buy NFS HS2, i have now a copy'd cd from a friend of me wich has the original cd.

Now my problem is that i have been trying to install NFS under windows Xp Pro.

I installed the patch 4.50 and the Graphics Accelerator.

Now when i start up the Shortcut i get a small box saying : Please Insert Game Disk.

I have been searching for a Crack on the internet to solve this

But everytime when i install the crack and i start the game i get the following error : Invalid win32 application.

Could anyone please tell me how i can fix this?

Its a shame that EA stopped selling NFS HS2 in Holland.

Gah i prefer the original so i won't have to do all this nasty work.

btw. i also tried with the compatibility mode and i tried to turn of the visual themes to, but the problem still remain.
oh and if you do not appreciate it that i am using a copy then please tell so, then i will leave you all alone.

Thanks in advance
First of all, I think you mean NFS:HS instead of NFS:HS2.

Secondly, it's still for sale, very cheap, for example at Free Record Shop. It's called Need For Speed: Road Challenge in the Netherlands by the way.

Thirdly we don't support copied versions and cracks on this board.
Old 12-08-2002   #15
speeder

Well you say that you keep getting a "Insert cd" box, one issue that may be causing this may be that you have installed/inserted the game on a DVD drive, i had the same problem but i used my other drive. Use the CD-RW drive or CD-ROM drive to play the game, and if it is not fixed, its something else. :wink:
speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002   #16
docrings

I HAVE FINALLY SOLVED THE WINXP MYSTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!
My NFS5U and WinXP only works properly, and at "normal" speed when I have 128MB loaded. Any more than that and it either locks up at the loading screen, or if I force it to run in any compatibility mode, it runs at about 1/10th speed.
This is a reproducible error, and I can make it run, then not run, and back to run again just by going from 128MB, to 256MB+, and back to 128MB.
WEIRD!!!!
But at least I can now put in my 128MB memory stick, play, and just shut down, and then reload more memory to do other things requiring 256MB+. I have tried cominations of memory sticks, memory slots, etc., and it is only 128MB in any slot alone that works.

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE... it took me about 3 weeks of troubleshooting to get this to work, including 4 WinXP re-installs, and all suggestions of page file mods, and other file tweaks others have recommended. This is the only thing that works, and is actually VERY simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Doc Rings
San Diego, CA

WinXP Pro, SP1 all security updates
AMD Athlon 1200 (not overclocked)
GeForce MX400 (not overclocked) latest WinXP compatible version
Asus A7V
PC133 memory stick 128MB
docrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002   #17
M.K.Russ.

Send a message via MSN to M.K.Russ. Send a message via Yahoo to M.K.Russ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Prophet
Ok Ok.......I have the patches but when i try to race with a custom car NFS4 closes and it says:

Exception caught!
EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION: read attempted @0xDBAD1188
CS=0000001B DS=00000023 ES=00000023 FS=0000003B GS=00000000
EDI=0176FDAC ESI=01972694 EAX=DBAD1188 EBX=029B12D5 ECX=0000000A EDX=DBAD1188
Eip=005548AB Ebp=0007D03C Esp=0007D00C SS=00000023
:bigmouth:

please help

yOU've got too many cars or some of the new cars you played aren't working. Try to reinstal but in the same folder so you don't loose cars or recoeds ext.

Don't run form the cops, unless you can get outrun them!
M.K.Russ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002   #18
kenny0219

i am using win XP
i cant even install the NFS HS

and a error message
Gateway: An Autoplay Program for Win95 ...
kenny0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003   #19
PhreaK

Heh..I used to post here around September..I think.My problem is that I have Win XP..and I have installed it succesfully but I get a window that says "Please insert NfS:HS disk".It's in there and it still wont play.Then after I have cliked ok on it several times..I get another Window that says "NFS:HS disc is already Running".And i can't play it even after all that !I've tried the 4.50patch..and it still doesn't work!

Any help?
PhreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003   #20
DodgeMan
my mommy says I'm special

Send a message via MSN to DodgeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny0219
i am using win XP

and a error message
Disable Norton Anti Virus.......

Not-So-Current Projects:
Dodge/Plymouth Neon SPORT
2006 Dodge Charger
DodgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003   #21
link15

Xmpl^, I also had onboard graphics and Windows ME and after I got a GeForce4 graphics card and when I installed NFS:HS and opened it just goes black screen then shows desktop.
However after installing 4.50 patch and NFS Updates 1.0 from http://www.nd4spdworld.com/?section=util&v=4 it has worked fine.

I guess thats exactly what you did though but still doesn't work
link15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003   #22
Mr. Kaman

Send a message via MSN to Mr. Kaman

I may have found a solution to the 'Less than 1MB free space problem' , with me it was because my network...
When I disabled my network, the game didn't gave me that message when it started and it really saved my settings

So this worked for me, but I'm not sure whether it'll work for some of you too
Mr. Kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003   #23
Remko
Canyon Drifter

I've already posted this elsewhere, but just in case:
Geforce owners on XP, that have the problem with the game going back to the desktop after starting up, should try installing SPoT's D3D patch from here: http://www.btinternet.com/~colin_rey.../spotpatch.ZIP
Please follow the instructions carefully.
In fact, I would try this out before patching the game to 4.50. (In my experience, 4.50 would make the game run, but at a terrible slow framerate)

Update November 18th 2004; changed link to the SPoT-Patch because the Wolfpack guys re-arranged their website.

In fact, there's an update to this patch made by JimDiabolo, you can read about that (and download it) here: http://forum.needforbetterspeed.net/...howtopic=12658
Old 03-05-2003   #24
URogue

AzN-Racer, try dropping back and using direct x 8 as there are flaws still with direct x 9 which screw the game. If that doesn't work then look at suggestions for xp as those with Windows ME are similar in nature.

ardjet, try running search on the disk to see if the .dll file you require is on there. If not check your Windows Cd. A good site that may have the .dll file you want is drivers.com

Fishytrout, try getting the latest drivers for your Mono wheel before using the wheel as some of them function poorly without it. Then go into controllers and you should fine auto detect there.
URogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003   #25
syc

Send a message via MSN to syc

I ot the game working in XP Corperate but i can only get the origional cars to work. I get an exception error if i try to use any non EA car.
Old 03-30-2003   #26
Anonymous

easiest way to run NFS4 at win XP can be found at http://www.nfscars.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6380

(i have win xp corporate edition, nvidia graphisc card and direct x9) and NFS4 works without any problems.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003   #27
Stidda

Send a message via MSN to Stidda

I solved the problem, I downloaded Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit, it has more advanced options for compatibility on programs running on Windows XP, but it is very easy to use, just set compatibility to Windows 98 and finish the wizard. For more information, I found from :

http://www.needforbetterspeed.net/fo...4&t=2652&st=15

Read op's post for instructions!!

Now game works fine, no errors at all!!
Old 05-31-2003   #28
Saracen

Send a message via MSN to Saracen Send a message via Yahoo to Saracen

OK, I agree with what you guys saying about each system taking it differently, I run two machines with XP pro, one (XP1600, K7S5A MoBo, 256, Radeon 7000) is on a dualboot with 98se, (didn't have the heart to throw it out) so the fact that XP doesn't work isn't a problem, but the other one (Duron 900, 128MB, Matsonic MS8308 SiS630 all onboard thingy) wouldn't take it UNTIL I put in an old TNT2 card that I upgraded the other one from a few months ago, since then I haven't had ANY problems, no compatibility issues or nothing... I reckon it could be the way that XP handles cards that NFS doesn't recognise (the TNT2 is recognised in 3D Device setup and would have been a top-end card when the game was released). It would also explain why onboard VGA isn't recognised - most onboard chipsets you guys use won't have been released for years after the game came out!. Bad news for you guys with nice beefy cards or onboard. if anyone with an older card (older than geForce 2) on XP has a view on this I'd love to hear from ya!

Cheers
Dave (Saracen)
Old 05-31-2003   #29
RunR

Send a message via ICQ to RunR

The_desolator: You can solve your problem by downloading the updated version of spots D3D patch
http://personal.inet.fi/peli/atte.jo...tup_update.zip
RunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003   #30
VectraGT

Send a message via ICQ to VectraGT Send a message via MSN to VectraGT

hmm, i get a little problem...nfs won't save my settings?

any tips on this?

//rob
VectraGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003   #31
RunR

Send a message via ICQ to RunR

VectraGT: Read http://www.nfscars.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7582
RunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003   #32
uli

Default BootVis.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny0219
i am using win XP

and a error message
Hi there. i had the same problem runnin under win xp.... you should download any unzipper which can run .ACE files.... then you can uncompres the CLSNFSHS.ACE file..........
hope you have good luck. i ve unzipped the files, but the game still doesnt run.

see ya.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004   #33
*NFSMasteR*

Send a message via AIM to *NFSMasteR* Send a message via MSN to *NFSMasteR*

For Me Capibitly Mode (in xp) runs anything at about 1/100 of the speed it sould...my suliton was reinstalling xp (not wiping your drive just reinstalling it) and then it worked :scratch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon
It worked for me.. I followed the instructions found in the first post in this thread.... BUT the game runs extremely slllllloooooowwww... I donnno why... any ideas?

Computer Congif:
Intel Mentium 4 @ 2.24 GHz
ASUS P4S333 Motherboard
512 MB DDR RAM
MSI GeForce4 MX 440
Win XP Professional SP1
Old 01-21-2004   #34
Aj2VM

On my XP the graphics on NFS 4 look like the kind on NFS III do you know why?
Aj2VM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004   #35
Jimmy
Back in Black...or Lime

Send a message via AIM to Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj2VM
On my XP the graphics on NFS 4 look like the kind on NFS III do you know why?
They use a similar graphics engine (probably the same), and the same game engine.

-Jimmy- i'm sick of bumming rides though so i might buy an s-10
-Venom- and put a LS1 in it
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004   #36
djoverlay
Crazy Car Modeler

Send a message via AIM to djoverlay

is your nfs4 running slow on your top notch machine?

about nfs4 running slow on your computer, um did you mess with your Video card settings, the 3-D settings?, if you did then change em back. if you didnt then try changing them to all performance and not visual,(meaning turn off the special shiet and make it low quality on games).

if that dont help then maybe its your mother board, i dunno, oh and um if you are running the with high poly cars, then try this.try playing single race by YOURSELF, no cpu racers, check if this speeds up, if it is then your video card is too slow to cache all the cpu cars that are high poly cuz chances are that there might be other high poly car racing with you if cpu is enabled.(and besides the nfs4hs game engine wasnt meant to run that many polys at once on a screen)

and just for the hell of it, try using a regular car that came with the game on single player and see if its still slow, if it is then i dont know, if it isnt then same expalnation as above.
Old 02-05-2004   #37
Murcielagos
ToXiK

Send a message via AIM to Murcielagos Send a message via MSN to Murcielagos Send a message via Yahoo to Murcielagos Send a message via Skype™ to Murcielagos

i have nfs4intaled on xp, it worked fine without the ptcehs, but there still is a prob
i get the bad graphics you sometimes get when you dont change the 3d setup setings, so black windows, horible reflection and some parts missing...
when i change the 3d setings, the game doesnt work anymore
iv tried installing the patches, but it doesnt change anything...

anyone know how to fix that? ( i mean get nice graphics)

Lamborghini Murciélago LP640
My Modeling Portfolio
Murcielagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004   #38
djoverlay
Crazy Car Modeler

hey murc did you try using the fast gfx d3da.dll(its the one for nfs5), you can download it here:
http://www.nd4spdworld.com/?section=util&v=4
look for the util called NFSHS Fast Graphics Patch by BOOsTER, download it and when you install it, click on old (nfs4) d3da.dll file, so that the lama doesnt have a check on it, then next and then browse for you nfs4hs directory(usually CProgram Files\Electronic Arts\Need For Speed High Stakes\) then click next. then try it out.

if that dont work pm me back ok?
ive got a second thing, you got aim?, well anyway try it out or if you did then pm back so i can try to help you with something else.
Old 02-05-2004   #39
djoverlay
Crazy Car Modeler

something odd
you wanna know something?, well ill tell ya anyway, did you guys know that the d3da.dll file from nfs3 works, meaning that if you put that old d3d file into the nfs4hs directory and played it with direct 3d on, that it'll load up? but slower than the nfs5 one(common name: fast graphics patch). how odd eh?, NFS 3 and 5 works but 4 doesn't, anyone have an explanation?.....well just telling ya.

- later anthony v
Old 02-07-2004   #40
Murcielagos
ToXiK

Send a message via AIM to Murcielagos Send a message via MSN to Murcielagos Send a message via Yahoo to Murcielagos Send a message via Skype™ to Murcielagos

you mean install the fast graphic patch without the nfs4 file? i tried installing it with both lamas checked, and it didnt change anything....

Lamborghini Murciélago LP640
My Modeling Portfolio
Murcielagos is offline   Reply With Quote