about "stealing cars"

March 16, 2011, 1:58 a.m.
i need a help here, i need some understanding

let's say: "A" made an MW car mod and he upload it to nfscars.net. i like his car then i download it. and then i want to share to my community, so i upload it at nfssomethingelse.com. i write in the description "thanks to A who have made this car" but i didn't inform A that i upload it to somewhere else.

is this act can be called "stealing A's car"?
March 16, 2011, 2:04 a.m.
yes.

by failing to do any of these actions:
-informing author that you're uploading to another site
-permission
-crediting the author

…you're clearly stealing the file.
March 16, 2011, 2:38 a.m.
…you're clearly stealing the file.Dark
Unless the original author allows anyone to distribute it freely. If so, this is often stated in the readme and/or download page. In this case it is of course still a good idea to inform the author. If further distribution is not allowed, ask the author for his/her permission.
March 16, 2011, 3:24 a.m.
-crediting the authorDark

i write in the description "thanks to A who have made this car" but…pentaura;565037

Dude. C'mon, READ the post first. He mentioned crediting the author.

Also my personal opinion is if the author has not stated that the car is exclusive to the site. Then aslong as you CREDIT him and atleast send him an email telling him you submitted it to said alternate site with credit to him (Thats if you can contact him), then alls good. If the modder has been gone for a few years, then his mods are free pickings to redistribute with credit, ofcourse.
March 16, 2011, 4:03 a.m.
If he has stated that it's exclusive (or that you can upload it only with his permission), than you can't share it.
If he states that you can distribute it freely as long as he remains the original author, than you can.
March 16, 2011, 4:34 a.m.
Some people from China seem to have stolen a lot of cars here
March 16, 2011, 5:02 a.m.
I clearly want to be informed about my cars being hosted anywhere else than where I uploaded them, and I do no want my mods to be uploaded somewhere without me knowing. And to me it IS stealing even if the author is named because I write that stuff into the readme that I dont want the cars to be uploaded anywhere else without me being notified.
March 16, 2011, 1:19 p.m.
I clearly want to be informed about my cars being hosted anywhere else than where I uploaded them, and I do no want my mods to be uploaded somewhere without me knowing. And to me it IS stealing even if the author is named because I write that stuff into the readme that I dont want the cars to be uploaded anywhere else without me being notified.Freak-DS;565082

hence why I said, if the Author is still contactable, to let him know atleast.
March 16, 2011, 8:54 p.m.
Just don't do it if you couldn't contact the author…
March 17, 2011, 8:11 a.m.
Some people from China seem to have stolen a lot of cars hereyellowslot;565073
ofcourse 1.5+ Billion People need their own MW community…
March 21, 2011, 4:01 p.m.
@yellowslot-you have proof?
March 25, 2012, 7:21 p.m.
Yes, it's stealing, unless they've released it under copyleft and or Creative Commons and or GNU licensing.

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}