Light Glow in game?

Oct. 31, 2017, 9:18 p.m.
How do I achieve this glowing effect in game?
Attachments
Oct. 31, 2017, 10:53 p.m.
I don't know about Carbon but this is how I do it in Most Wanted:
(assuming you are editing the car 3D model)
-In zmodeler select the faces that you want to glow.
-Then click on "edges" on the top menu.
-Make sure you have "SEL" clicked.
-Click on Surface > Normal > Scaling
-Then on the right or top or both views, can't remember, expand the normals by clicking and dragging the mouse up. This will scale them up. If you look at the 3D view you will see that those 3D faces become brighter and have less shadows.
-When you are editing the car materials, make sure the material of those faces that light up uses the "headlightreflector" material/shader. Other materials may result in weird shadows.
Also I recommend making a backup before saving these changes because it may require some tweaking and it's hard to undo.

This method also sort of worked in NFS Underground 2 but it sometimes resulted in weird colors. In NFS Underground 2 I think I used the char_skin shader, not sure if headlightreflector worked.
Attachments
Nov. 1, 2017, 12:54 a.m.
and with BadHairDay's method, lights will be "glow" every time, but on my BMW's and on some other cars it work only in free roam\race.
Nov. 1, 2017, 8:11 a.m.
That's pretty cool
I guess ill be using this
Nov. 1, 2017, 10:20 a.m.
Corvettez06 is correct. One way to maybe make them only glow only in the race I think could be making the glowing parts a part of the "driver" model
Nov. 1, 2017, 9:27 p.m.
How far or in what direction should I scale the normals in zmodeler? For some reason the model glows only in weird colors depending on my position in game.
Nov. 2, 2017, 8:14 a.m.
Yeah I have that problem often too. It's kind of a trial and error thing. I think in the right view and top view I scale them (so they extend to the right in the right view and down in the top view). I guess first try with only one side and then if it works copy and mirror that part. Also try to not extend the normals too much at first, if you extend them way too much that problem is more likely to happen I think.
I'm still trying to perfect this technique, so Idk if anyone else has a better method.
Also not sure if having glass in front of the lights can mess it up. In this case I did it to the glass directly:
ugnNAp.jpg
Nov. 2, 2017, 9:57 a.m.
why you want to use this method, if my method  with using driver part is better and easy
1. make copy of glowing part
2. move it
3. assing new material and use shinny shader(e.g. BRAKELIGHT)
4. attach it to driver model

How it works, you can see on my Furai, 335i e92, Z4 e89, 128i, Megane RS275 Trohpy-R.

speed_2017-06-23_21-58-09-66.jpgspeed_2017-06-23_21-53-50-79.jpg
Nov. 2, 2017, 12:31 p.m.
I do that thing about attaching it to the driver part as well (unless each body kit has its own custom lights). But if I don't do the normals editing too, it still looks kind of too dark for a light in the game I think. The shader only doesn't make it shine much by itself. The normals thing is just for an extra bright effect, but it can be buggy depending on what direction you look at it from, or if there's a dark glass in front of it.
bUpJIf.jpg
Nov. 2, 2017, 3:20 p.m.
I never heard of those techniques , that's pretty interesting ! :)
As for NFSPS you can achieve the same effect by using the REFLECTIVESIGN shader on the desired part , I do that to almost all of my mods (when required) , it also works well on some interior parts, like dials or screens for example.
Nov. 2, 2017, 9:51 p.m.
Thanks for the help guys! 
Finally got it working for my BMW M2 from NFS 2015 [WIP]

MENU
27yahco.jpg
INGAME
11kgh9h.jpg
Nov. 2, 2017, 10:01 p.m.
That looks awesome!!!!
Nov. 3, 2017, 3:06 a.m.
@Corvettez06 where can i get that lighting texture mod?
Nov. 3, 2017, 8:23 p.m.
Anyone can make this effect on the light in the original cars in the game?
Nov. 10, 2017, 12:55 p.m.
I was also wondering if anyone knows the material names for these objects, or for any glowing object in the game?
i4petg.jpg
15ov24z.jpg
2ccmdeu.jpg

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}