NFSCars feature request topic!

Jan. 6, 2004, 9:23 p.m.
It's getting a bit crowded with Global Announcements in here, but this one is finally a positive one :)

Although I am still very busy with school (I hope to finally finish my education by the end of this month!), I have plans on rewriting NFSCars from the ground up when I'm done with it.

The reason I want to do this, is that the site is quite a mess when it comes to the PHP code. Some scripts are as old as the site itself (e.g. the news script), other are quite new. The difference in style and optimizations makes it hard to expand the site.

With the rewrite, I can also change things for the better. Lots of not working things will be fixed and new features and sections may be added.

Before I will start with the rewrite, I want to build up a list of features and changes from the current site. I need suggestions for that.

So, what feature/addition/change would you like to see on the site? Both small suggestions (extra fields in upload forms for example) or bigger ones (new sections?) are welcome. Not all features will make it into the site, but I will seriously have a look at it.
Jan. 6, 2004, 10:26 p.m.
Not really script-related, but i would be very content to see nfscars.com redesigned. Not that its bad right now but it's a bit old don't you think? You can stick with the red theme b/c you like ferrari so much :D
Jan. 6, 2004, 10:36 p.m.
I have tried several designs, but I'm not a design-miracle :) None of my attemts were good enough. I might do some changes to the current design to make it look up-to-date again.

Offcourse, if anyone is interested in designing a new NFSCars, feel free to do so, but I will not guarantee that a new design will be used.
Jan. 7, 2004, 12:39 a.m.
Hey Sander, if you wanna change NFScars design, I would ask you just to stuck and keep the dark theme…man, it's a great help to browse during the night,

It's less agressive to eyes, for sure.

GreetZ
[]'s
Spirit
Jan. 7, 2004, 12:51 a.m.
Yo Sander,

I would not restyle the site. Sure it is a bit old but so are all the NFS1-6 games and they still rock like this site!!! Keep the design this way, it's good and easy to use in my opinion.

Greetingz from nederland ;-)
Jan. 7, 2004, 1 a.m.
If a new design would be made, the primary goal is still ease of use. That's the most important thing for a site in my opinion. As it looks now, I will use this design, some tweaks here and there and more optimized HTML code for faster loading times, so it will be even better.
Jan. 7, 2004, 1:09 a.m.
The one factor the comes to mind is to have one major link to all the Faq's, Tutorials, etc - this way, a member can be directed to that one specific link which may contain links to various topics , "welcome to NFS Cars…", etc. and this way possibly avoid continually having the same topics posted in the forums over and over again.

We could monitor the sub-links and keep adding new topics and links rather than have them spread out about the site- it's an idea I had. If you click on my sigpic where it says "Centralized Inforamtion on NFS Cars", it sends you to a long list of topics/links/FAQ's etc. I send a lot of people there and it usually helps immensely.
Jan. 7, 2004, 4:42 a.m.
If a new design would be made, the primary goal is still ease of use. That's the most important thing for a site in my opinion. As it looks now, I will use this design, some tweaks here and there and more optimized HTML code for faster loading times, so it will be even better.Sander
That means you're gonne keep this red/black theme? :D
Cool 8)
I really like this design :)

Hmm.. some suggestions?
I know I made some realy stupid ones in the past… But now, it's gonna change :twisted:
How about… Uhmm… Hmmm…
I think it's just perfect as it is :D
Ne need to change (okay, you mentioned the out-dated php) :)

Well Sander, good luck with your exams :super:

EDIT:
Please keep all forum numbers as they are :dopey:
Jan. 7, 2004, 5:22 a.m.
The forums are ok like this, although I am considering switching to a different board like Invision, as that has a lot of extra features as standard (like the attachments, but also other things). But that requires a lot of extra work, as I would have to convert all topics and useraccounts to Invision. It's possible, but a lot of extra work.
Jan. 7, 2004, 6:44 a.m.
Oh, so you 'just' wanted to change the main page? Not the forums? :P
Okay :)
HMm.. Invision… We (ITC Forum) had trouble with it… But that was invisionfree.. Dunno if you're talking about that.. But something happened, and it was gone :cry:
(Now it's back though :P )

I don't know why you should change though :P
Well, okay, the features, but hasn't this one has it too? :dopey:
Jan. 7, 2004, 6:50 a.m.
Oh, so you 'just' wanted to change the main page? Not the forums? :P
Okay :)
HMm.. Invision… We (ITC Forum) had trouble with it… But that was invisionfree.. Dunno if you're talking about that.. But something happened, and it was gone :cry:
(Now it's back though :P )

I don't know why you should change though :P
Well, okay, the features, but hasn't this one has it too? :dopey:NightEye
This one has features, but just the basics. The attachments and global announcements aren't standard for example. The problem with adding them like I did now is that updating to a newer version is always a lot of work. With a completely standard board, it's much easier.
Jan. 7, 2004, 6:53 a.m.
/me pokes Sander with a 'I will be free for help after the 20th' sign :super:
Jan. 7, 2004, 7:02 a.m.
Hey Sander, I can help with HTML after next wensday. I'm pretty good, but I work in notepad. At least there's no useless script like frontpage puts in.

Anyway, I'll give a new disign a shot (keep it simmiliar to this one) if you're interested.

I can't think of any suggestions right now.. but I'm sure at least one will come to me soon.
Jan. 7, 2004, 8:41 a.m.
the invision board is nice… like the former sniperland/savidge forums

blue and white is a good color scheme

i suggest to add a welcome page for nfscars and one for entry to the forums… and on the forum entry page you could have the faq links and etc

another good idea would be to make the new users read the faq's… like have them on first sign in automatically go to the page

-peace-
Jan. 7, 2004, 9:21 a.m.
You could change the name of "Articals' to 'Tutorials.' This might help that section Expand, and people find it without wondering what it is.(Not the one here in the forum)

But maybe Bring back the rating system and see how that does, but remove it again if it is abbused(again).

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}