Theme optimisation for non-widescreen monitors and HTML character escape

Nov. 23, 2016, 5:42 a.m.
Hi, there! Haven't checked this place for quite the long time. The new platform seems to be promising, but there are a still a bunch of things to be tuned up. I was the lead programer of the team of people that did the GTRCars forum migration to its new incarnation, so I know through what Mike is going right now - it's a long process, so all members should show some understanding. :)

Here are 2 thigns that I noticed about the new site.

1) The theme is not optimised for resolutions with width way below 1600px.
The first time I visited this new site was on a computer with dual screens with 1280x1024 resolution and the Shoutbox button couldn't fit on the top navigation bar, so it went out of line. When I switched the shoutbox ON, the forum content moved way too much to the left and some of the text became unreadable because it was placed out of the viewable screen space.

2) The new platform didn't escape HTML characters.
I can see old titles and posts with stuff like "& amp;" in them, instead of the proper characters those codes represent. The title of this subforum reads "NFSCars.net Bug Reports & amp; Suggestions", for example. I encountered the same problem with the migration of the GTRCars forum. Here's how to fix it ONLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN OPTION TO AUTOMATICALLY ESCAPE THESE CHARACTERS IN THE ADMIN PANEL:
- go here http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/articles/entity-escape-characters.php
- get the codes of the most common special characters. Like "& amp;", "& lt;" and so on.
- close the site down and do a database backup in plain-text SQL files.
- open the files that are accountable for the posts, thread titles, etc.
- do a string replace of all the special characters.
- import the database with the updated SQL files.
- open the site again.

OR if your SQL server supports it, do the string replacing through a query. You'll still have to close down the site and do a backup just in case, though.

Once again, do this only if the new platform doesn't have this feature in its arsenal.

Those are the more automatic approaches. Alternatively, you could go through all of the threads, subforums and so on and manualy edit the text.

That's all from me. Cheers!

EDIT
I just noticed that the post editor doesn't automatically detect links, like the one I posted above.
Nov. 23, 2016, 6:41 a.m.
Thanks for the information.

I am aware of the html entities not being escaped for the forum titles and will fix.

As for the mobile optimization I still have a lot to do here.

Most of the entities do work for the post content, examples:

& < >
Nov. 23, 2016, 6:50 a.m.
I just noticed that the post editor doesn't automatically detect links, like the one I posted above.

Fixed.

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}