Running The Need for Speed SE [NFS1] on Vista and XP

Jan. 28, 2009, 9:32 a.m.
/e
Damn! Where is the "Disable Smilies"-Option? Everywhere the ":\"-Smiley is shown ": \" is meant, of course without the break in between!

This is a Guide for those of you who do also enjoy playing the fantastic first part of the NFS-Series: The Need for Speed.
I got myself a copy of "The Need for Speed Special Edition", which unlike the actual "The Need for Speed" features "Windows 95" compatibility. But neither on Vista nor on XP I was able to install it. So I used DOSBOX.
This is how you get it running:

1. Files needed
DOXBOX CVS 0.72 http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html
UNIVBE.EXE The file I attached

2. Install DOSBOX

3. Under Windows, create a folder you want to install NFS in and Put UNIVBE.EXE in to it. I chose "C:\OLDGAMES

4. In the Folder you installed DOSBOX to, open "DOSBOX.CONF" using Notepad.
In the [dosbox] Section change machine=XXXXX to machine=svga_et4000.
Furthermore add the following lines to the end of the file below:

"[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup."

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES Instead of C:\OLDGAMES you should use the path to the directory you created before.
MOUNT D X:\ -t cdrom with X being the letter of your CD/DVD-ROM drive your NFS-CD is in.

Save and close DOSBOX.CONF

5. Run dosbox.exe
Type in D:\INSTALLD.EXE
Install TNFS following the instructions.

6. Now close DOSBOX using the command exit. Do not try to run the game yet!

7. Open DOSBOX.CONF again and add the following lines to the end below the "Mount blabla" stuff.
C:\UNIVBE.EXE
C:
cd NFSSE
nfs

Save and Close DOSBOX.CONF

8. Start DOSBOX! It will execute NFS automatically after installing UNIVBE.To run DOSBOX in Fullscreen Mode, hit ALT+ENTER

Have Fun!

Annotations:
-You can also use the standard version of DOSBOX found under www.dosbox.com, but TNFS will have problems running ingame videos such as Showroom Movies etc. TNFS does have problems with S3 Graphic Chipsets, and the S3 chipset is the only one that is emulated by standard DOSBOX.
The Daum-Version is patched with the "Multiple SVGA Chipset patch" which allows you to use other VGA- and SVGA-Chipsets. That's why you have to change machine=s3 to machine=svga_et4000 in the config-file.

-Without that UNIVBE.EXE thingy the game-screen will become dramatically oversized. To be honest I have no idea what it does, but it works! :-)

-Advanced users may also operate DOSBOX by themself, but some DOS-Knowledge is needed (cd: change directory, dir: directory). I wrote this guide for people not keen with DOS. For information on mounting drives and DOSBOX in general have a look at: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox

- I have tested this on Windows XP and Vista and it runs great on both!

- I have tested this only with "The Need for Speed Special Edition", but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't run with the standard version.

Japanfanatic
Jan. 28, 2009, 10:31 a.m.
can you glide wrappera as well?
Jan. 28, 2009, 11:49 a.m.
Nice guide :)

I managed to get this running on dosbox as well.
I had to use dosbox to run the installer, install it to a virtual drive (setup in dosbox) and had to use dosbox to run the game itself.
I never tried showrooms etc. as I was more interested in the tracks.
I'm using XP.
Jan. 29, 2009, 3:34 a.m.
There is 100 times simpler way to use nfs1 on xp, look:
1. Create dosbox.exe shortcut on your desktop
2. Then put your nfs1 folder inside dosbox.exe
3. Some black window opens
4. Just write "nfs" and game works

You see, simple, just by putting nfs1 folder inside dosbox.exe all is mounted in one second, you don't have to write this stuff.
I did all it exactly and game works and I reccomended this way to few people and it also works!
Have fun!
Jan. 29, 2009, 6:01 a.m.
Doesn't work for me. I suppose this method does only work if you have a CD-Mirror of TNFS on your HDD?

@ricersHA
TNFS doesn't feature 3dfx-Compatibility so I suppose the answer would be no
Jan. 29, 2009, 6:53 a.m.
Can you post the same for running nfs2sea.exe (3dfx mode)?
Jan. 29, 2009, 8:34 a.m.
Doesn't work for me. I suppose this method does only work if you have a CD-Mirror of TNFS on your HDD?

@ricersHA
TNFS doesn't feature 3dfx-Compatibility so I suppose the answer would be noJapanfanatic;461597

I play nfs1 without cd, cd is not needed, you must follow the instructions about dosbox and nfs folder only. I know many people who tried this method and it works.

Nfs2sea.exe can run perfectly with application compability toolkit, we discussed about it before.
Jan. 29, 2009, 8:50 a.m.
I play nfs1 without cd, cd is not needed, you must follow the instructions about dosbox and nfs folder only. I know many people who tried this method and it works.Oliver

Do you install the game in DOSBOX?

Nfs2sea.exe can run perfectly with application compability toolkit, we discussed about it before.

In 3dfx-Mode? Standard NFS2SE does work for me on XP and Vista perfectly without any tweaks, just in Win95-Compatibility Mode.
@Ark-X
For running it in 3dfx-Mode you will need a Glide Wrapper, I'm using "Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper" you can find on www.zeckensack.de . It's the best Wrapper I found. Maybe you can get it running by yourself, it really ain't that complicated.
Jan. 29, 2009, 7:36 p.m.
Do you install the game in DOSBOX?

In 3dfx-Mode? Standard NFS2SE does work for me on XP and Vista perfectly without any tweaks, just in Win95-Compatibility Mode.
@Ark-X
For running it in 3dfx-Mode you will need a Glide Wrapper, I'm using "Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper" you can find on www.zeckensack.de . It's the best Wrapper I found. Maybe you can get it running by yourself, it really ain't that complicated.Japanfanatic;461627

I installed dosbox and after that I created dosbox.exe shortcut on my desktop. I installed game outside dosbox and everytime I go to play, I put nfs1 folder inside dosbox.exe and black window opens and it writes that all is mounted and ready for run. Then I just write "nfs". This command runs nfs.exe and game works.

Nfs2 can't work on my pc with windows 95 mode and with glide wrapper and I tried it of course, so I can run it through application compability toolkit. This program can run nfs2sen.exe and nfs2sea.exe without problems, only the settings must be put well, and databases about running nfs2sen.exe and nfs2sea.exe must be correct.

I play it and fraps works perfectly, without any errors.
Jan. 29, 2009, 7:55 p.m.
you guys can always right click on the .exe and go to compatibility, and run this program in compatibility mode for and choose win95 or 98… that works for me
Jan. 30, 2009, 3:20 a.m.
you guys can always right click on the .exe and go to compatibility, and run this program in compatibility mode for and choose win95 or 98… that works for me570z;461674

I would like that it works on my pc, but not so I did all this stuff………..
Jan. 30, 2009, 6:49 a.m.
you guys can always right click on the .exe and go to compatibility, and run this program in compatibility mode for and choose win95 or 98… that works for me570z;461674

Doesn't work for NFS1, only NFS2. NFS1 is simply too old.
That's why I can't get NFS1 running the way Oliver explained it, the installer (installw.exe) doesn't work on new Window Versions, you either get a memory error message or initgraphics.
Jan. 30, 2009, 8:23 a.m.
Doesn't work for NFS1, only NFS2. NFS1 is simply too old.
That's why I can't get NFS1 running the way Oliver explained it, the installer (installw.exe) doesn't work on new Window Versions, you either get a memory error message or initgraphics.Japanfanatic;461729

I didn't get any errror like this, my installw.exe worked perfectly.
Jan. 30, 2009, 11:43 p.m.
I didn't get any errror like this, my installw.exe worked perfectly.Oliver

What's your system?
Jan. 30, 2009, 11:55 p.m.
I have windows xp service pack 2.
I also heard that type of cpu also affects running nfs2 and nfs1 on xp.

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}