Some hints/tips/tutorials/lessons for all the amatueresque new modders over here - ripping, merging models etc…

May 15, 2017, 10:44 p.m.
Hello ladies and gentlemen of the internet, Electro Shark here :)

After a few months I've been wanting to create my own car mods but to no luck unfortunately as I still DO NOT know how to use any of the tools and convert the cars.

Am I doing something wrong?

I tried downloading models from the game J2HIN but that seemed even more challenging. If there is a modder here who knows how to convert cars from that game as well as Forza 4, I'll be more than grateful if they can teach me how to mod from the basics all the way to the top.

Another thing, and an important topic for this discussion; How to "rip" car models from other games.
I want to create some special cars which are not really available anywhere on the internet which include rides like the 1996 Nissan 180SX Type X and the Datsun Skyline 2000 GT-R, so I asked my good friend Corvettez06 what to do (seriously, that guy makes some CRAZY AWESOME cars for NFSMW and NFSC), and he says I should try to rip the models from Need for Speed: No Limits or Need for Speed 2015 as those are the only games these cars are featured in as yet.

Seems like a legit idea if I say so myself, but I'm no closer to figuring this out as I am closer to make my favorite car from scratch.

If there is anyone here who can help me and so many other new modders on this issue, as I know now how tedious this job is, please tutor us on this topic so that each and every one of us can learn how to be as good as you guys.
May 16, 2017, 4:41 a.m.
You can find some models here
gamemodels.ru

Not sure how to rip models though nor modding in u2 and u1.
May 16, 2017, 5:18 a.m.
I know that my friend, but how do you MAKE the cars is what I'm asking. Is there a special site that teaches you or something???
May 16, 2017, 7:52 a.m.
Juiced 2 models might be mess up like Test Drive Unlimited, so better to ignore these games, because they are hard-to-convert.
I didn't ever convert from Forza 4, but I can introduce you Forza 4 Studios. This one can import models of Forza 4.
The tutorial is Here but you have to have a professional translator, because it is Russian.
May 16, 2017, 8:03 a.m.
Here's the old Zmodeler create a car from scratch tutorial:
http://www.zmodeler2.com/docs/program/fulltutor/getstart.html
Mind you, it will take you a loooooooong time to make a car. This is mostly aimed at low poly cars for old games like NFS IV.
Another way to rip models from videogames is to get something like 3DReaperDX. It captures the entire 3D scene and it works with most games that use Directx 9 I think. The problem is that it is often distorted so you have to adjust it yourself but that might not be a big issue. Also some normals and vertices may not be attached to each other but still it's a really awesome tool. I've tried it with the Dolphin WII emulator with Gamecube games and it works very well.
Another one is Ninja Ripper that does the same but is actually able to get the models in the right positions and dimensions regardless of their current position in the game when you capture the scene. I couldn't get this one to work myself though.

Also check this out for Underground:
https://nfs-tools.blogspot.com.ar/2010/01/how-to-make-simple-car-using-nfsu2.html
The best way to start is to take the default model that comes with the mod tools and try to adapt your own car to be like that one. I mean the position, size, rotation, part names, etc. Or add parts with your own materials and textures to it and try to get it working in the game.
May 18, 2017, 12:38 a.m.
Thanks alot BadHairDay, this is really helpful :)

"Mind you, it will take you a loooooooong time to make a car. This is mostly aimed at low poly cars for old games like NFS IV."

Does this also include games like NFSUG2? I'm trying to mod that game for now, so I need all the help I can get. Even if it takes a while, I'm game. Still have the whole summer ahead before college resumes.
Also, I noticed your Eclipse COPGHOST car mod for NFSMW (great mod btw as usual) so I wanted to ask where exactly did you get that model off from Underground 1? I've searched gamemodels.ru but there are no models from Underground1/2 and also some important ones are missing from Carbon; like the RX-7, RX-8 and many more.
May 18, 2017, 12:39 a.m.
Here's my complete car list that I want to make btw. Any ideas how and where I find em?
Acura RSX Type S >>> Acura Integra Type-R (Forza 6, NFSUG1 and J2HIN combined)
Audi A3 >>> Toyota Celica GT-FOUR (Forza 4 and J2HIN combined)
Audi TT >>> Nissan 300ZX Fairlady Z (Forza 4 and J2HIN combined)
Ford Focus ZX3 >>> Subaru Impreza 22B STi (Forza 4)
Ford Mustang GT >>> Toyota MR-S VVTi (J2HIN)
Honda Civic Coupe SI >>> Honda Civic Coupe SI (Forza 4 and NFSUG1 combined)
Hyundai Tiburon GT >>> Honda CR-X SI-R (Forza 4 and J2HIN combined)
Infiniti G35 >>> Nissan Silvia S13 (Forza 4)
Lexus IS300 >>> Nissan 180SX Type X (NFS:2015. I want to add parts from the Forza 4 240SX here too)
Mazda Miata MX-5 >>> Mazda RX-8 (J2HIN, NFSUG2 and NFSC combined)
Mazda RX-7 >>> Mazda RX-7 (NFSUG1, NFSC and J2HIN combined. Let it be the NFSC car model)
Mazda RX-8 >>> Honda S2000 (NFSUG1, Forza 4 and J2HIN combined. Let it be the Forza 4 model)
Mitsubishi 3000GT >>> Acura NSX (Forza 4 and J2HIN's 'Targa' model)
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX >>> Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (NFSUG1 and J2HIN combined)
Mitsubishi Evo VIII >>> Mitsubishi Evo IX MR (NFSC, Forza 4 and J2HIN combined. Let it be the NFSC car model)
Nissan 240SX S13 >>> Nissan 240SX S13 (NFSC, NFSUG2 and Forza 4 combined. Let it be the NFSC car model)
Nissan 350Z >>> Nissan 350Z (NFSC and NFSUG1 combined. Let it be the NFSC car model)
Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V >>> Nissan Silvia S15 (NFSUC and J2HIN combined)
Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R >>> Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (NFSUG1, NFSC and J2HIN combined)
Peugeot 206 GTI >>> Nissan Datsun Skyline 2000 GT-R (NFS:Shift and NFS:2015 combined)
Pontiac GTO >>> Nissan NISMO 400R (Forza Horizon and J2HIN combined. Let it be the Forza Horizon car model)
Subaru WRX STI >>> Mitsubishi Evo X (NFSUC and J2HIN combined)
Toyota Celica GT-S >>> Toyota Celica GT-S (NFSUG1, Forza 4 and J2HIN combined. Let it be the J2HIN car model)
Toyota Corolla GT-S AE86 >>> Toyota Corolla GT-S AE86 (NFSUG2, NFS:Shift and J2HIN combined. Let it be the NFS:Shift car model)
Toyota Supra >>> Toyota Supra (NFSC and J2HIN combined)
Volkswagen Golf GTI >>> Subaru BRZ (Forza 4 and NFS:2015 combined)

Feel free to check this guys and please let me know what do I do and how I accomplish this?
May 18, 2017, 9:05 a.m.
Thanks!!!  I got the Eclipse from Underground 2. I used a program called NFS-GeoEd, you can get it here:
https://nfs.com.ru/downloads.php?view=1242
It lets you extract individual parts from cars from Underground 2 (I actually made a mistake in the description, the model is from U2 not 1, but they are probably identical anyway). They extract as ".obj" files. The only problem is that you have to manually assign textures (materials) to faces but you can do that by guessing which goes where (what polygons you'll use as "body", which as "grill", etc.) and using the "separated" selection thing in Zmodeler while you are on "faces" mode.
https://snag.gy/fygVQw.jpg
Then I used Zmodeler 2 (you'll have to google it) to save them in .z3D format so I could use them in the old Zmodeler 1.07b (cause Zmodeler 2 lags a lot for me).
If you want to get the rest of the models from NFS Carbon and you have the game, you can use Zmodeler 2.2.4 to import the models and save them to another format like the old .z3d.
I guess I recommend that you start by modifying the example BMW that comes with the NFS Underground 2 mod tools. For example import the body of another car and replace the body of the BMW, assign the proper materials in Zmodeler and test it in the game.
And yah, trying to make a car 3D model from scratch takes a way longer time than just using one ripped from a game.
May 19, 2017, 7:40 a.m.
Thanks bro. I'll try my best.
But still, are there any basic tutorials online for the ZModelor? I'm still pretty new to all this, and the only thing I was able to make by myself were some city textures I compiled using NFS-TexEd from different mods (yeah I know, it may be pathetic) and also edited car names.
I have both of them installed but I have no idea how to use em still. It's like whenever I open it, my mind goes blank…. 0_o
Another thing, is there a way to tell whether a specific model uses what kind of format? (.z3D or 3DS) and what do they mean?
May 19, 2017, 9:18 a.m.
the format is just the file extension. Z3D is the format that is specific to Zmodeler. 3DS is another 3D file format. I dont recommend using 3DS because it usually (or always, not sure) doesn't save the "normals" which are directions that control the way light reflects on the model, meaning they have weird shadows. But the old Zmodeler 1.07b can import .3DS files so there's that.
The format used by Zmodeler 1.07b and Zmodeler 2.# are both "Z3D" but they are a bit different (Zmodeler 1.07b can't open the newer Z3D format but Zmodeler 2 can be used to export into the old Z3D format so that Zmodeler 1.07b can open it). I still know very little about everything related to 3D models and formats though.
Well, when you open Zmodeler you should see 4 views by default: front, side, top and 3D. You can use them to manipulate the polygons (faces) or vertices of the model. I suggest you start with Zmodeler 1.07 b because it's more straightforward and user friendly.
Anyway, keep reading that zmodeler tutorial that I already posted, it explains all the basics. I think it teaches everything you need and it's as simple as it gets.
http://www.zmodeler2.com/docs/program/fulltutor/getstart.html
When it comes to these mods though it's usually about getting a model from the internet or from another game, using some program to turn them into a format that works in the Zmodeler you use (in my case I usually get the models in .obj format, use Zmodeler 2 to convert them to the old Z3D, then open them in Zmodeler 1.07b) and then resize, rotate, separate, move, rename, etc. the parts of the model until they match what Underground uses. And as an example you use the car model that comes with the Underground 2 mod tools.
May 20, 2017, 1:32 a.m.
All this is really helpful my friend. If I'm successful, I'll make sure to give you credit for my first masterpiece you can bet on it :)
I've noticed that the model that is included with the modtools v2 by nfsu360 is a BMW M3 model. Does this model use the ZModelor 1.07b or needs to be converted into the required format from the ZModelor 2?
Another thing, is the replacement specified or do e decide that on our own and how exactly?
Also, do you have a link to the ZModelors both 1.07b and 2? I just need to make sure if I have the right ones by checking it or something.
Thanks once again BadHairDay.

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}