Spam-proof Registeration?

Jan. 4, 2011, 2:57 a.m.
lately i've been seeing people as a spambots, advertising random stuff.

point is i'd suggest a captcha while registration or something. reduces the spam-proof advertisers.
Jan. 4, 2011, 4:16 a.m.
I think today is the annual spam bot day… Is it five spam bots today so far? :|

And they sure are annoying so I second "Spam-proof Registeration?" question.
Jan. 4, 2011, 4:48 a.m.
There is a reCaptcha in place, but spambots still get through. Just report and move along.
Jan. 4, 2011, 12:21 p.m.
lately i've been seeing people as a spambots, advertising random stuff.

point is i'd suggest a captcha while registration or something. reduces the spam-proof advertisers.Dark

They actually have people that get paid to solve the captcha's so the bot can get through or a very good automated service but usually someone is solving them.
Jan. 4, 2011, 11:52 p.m.
You guys too, huh?
At NFSAddons we've been getting spammers as well, despite the verification before registering, I don't know how they're bypassing it. I've heard of spambots using ocr technique, but that shouldn't work in our case. If it's actually human beings just sitting there manually creating accounts… that sounds kind of sad.

It's strange, how it was fine all year, and since January 1st suddenly they start flooding in. :\
Jan. 5, 2011, 10:03 p.m.
In the last 20 mins I banned more than 10 spambots. In the end, we're gonna need more than current number of moderators to deal with this annoying problem. That, or add captcha to every single new thread/post.
And if that fails, we could just make site invite-only…
Jan. 6, 2011, 2:22 p.m.
In the last 20 mins I banned more than 10 spambots. In the end, we're gonna need more than current number of moderators to deal with this annoying problem. That, or add captcha to every single new thread/post.
And if that fails, we could just make site invite-only…FOX;555004

And keep the members that are already signed-up for NFSCars too, rite?
Jan. 6, 2011, 3:07 p.m.
I still like the idea of user moderation. We have an active moderation team that should be able to handle the process without a problem… and I believe not being able to post immediately after registering will prevent a lot of this crap. If bots do get through they probably aren't going to come back 2-3 hours later after their account has been activated just to dump a bunch of links.
Jan. 6, 2011, 3:19 p.m.
Wouldn't it be ironic if a spambot posted on this topic?[/IRRELEVANT]

I think we should definitely do SOMETHING about the damn spambots. I don't know what exactly… but Linkin's idea sounds good. A simple Captcha just isn't enough, maybe a wait period is a good idea… or perhaps a special question that only NFS fans can answer?
Jan. 6, 2011, 3:21 p.m.
I still like the idea of user moderation. We have an active moderation team that should be able to handle the process without a problem… and I believe not being able to post immediately after registering will prevent a lot of this crap. If bots do get through they probably aren't going to come back 2-3 hours later after their account has been activated just to dump a bunch of links.Linkin;555126

that could work. however, someone needs to be around almost quite the whole time to moderate since this site gets quite average traffic?
Jan. 6, 2011, 4:10 p.m.
Yeah Mike just informed me that we get 130-200 new registrations every day. That's too much to handle.
Jan. 6, 2011, 4:49 p.m.
Is there a way we can keep people from posting a link until they have a certain number (small) of posts or something? That should stop a spambot. I don't know if it's possible though as I am not familiar with forum coding.
Jan. 7, 2011, 4:37 a.m.
Is there a way we can keep people from posting a link until they have a certain number (small) of posts or something? That should stop a spambot. I don't know if it's possible though as I am not familiar with forum coding.
.hondaman;555141

That would be great. Also, preventing to create a thread before a small amount of post/days, combined with prevention to post links would probably solve at least partially the problem.
Jan. 7, 2011, 4:46 p.m.
I installed a vbulletin addon that checks a remote database of known spammer names, email addresses and ip addresses and if it is flagged during registration they will be denied.

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

I guess time will tell if this is effective or not, hopefully it is :)
Jan. 7, 2011, 5:16 p.m.
goodie, let's see how it will turn out.

cheers mike!

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}