Suggestion: Thread Revivals

Nov. 12, 2009, 6:18 a.m.
Dear staff,

Here's something I don't get. If someone revives an old thread, and wants to add something to it, it is locked for being revived, regardless of whether there are any complaints for it being revived. And if someone starts a thread that was previously discussed, the thread is still locked and the user is told to use the "search" feature (which definitely needs to be re-indexed and reconfigured as well).

What is the user meant to do if they want to add their input?
Nov. 12, 2009, 6:43 a.m.
Dear staff,

Here's something I don't get. If someone revives an old thread, and wants to add something to it, it is locked for being revived, regardless of whether there are any complaints for it being revived. And if someone starts a thread that was previously discussed, the thread is still locked and the user is told to use the "search" feature (which definitely needs to be re-indexed and reconfigured as well).

What is the user meant to do if they want to add their input?GTR;504061
Very good point GTR. Its kinda weird then that^ happens.

+1!
Nov. 12, 2009, 6:51 a.m.
Most threads that I admit to locking are from people who just joined that contribute the community in no shape or form. If it is an insightful bump, instead of "hurr durr durr that setup worked," then I think twice about locking it.
Nov. 12, 2009, 7:01 a.m.
It is public knowledge that such bumps cause the threads to be closed. I normally leave them be, but most of the time they get closed anyway.
Nov. 12, 2009, 7:59 a.m.
Most threads that are revived have not had contributions worth noting, and thus locked. as the case today, three threads all posted in by a spambot, which caused the lock of the thread.

If anything, after a 6+ month no replies, the thread retires, and if you want to post something about it you should just start anew.

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}