The current state of Need for Speed

Jan. 31, 2019, 2:57 p.m.
The current state of Need for Speed

Where does one even begin? A game series that has been a household name for almost 25 years. There have been many reiterations of the game. Some became a massive success some became gargantuan flops that are dreaded to this day. Overall though we can all agree it can be summarized into 3 main eras. First being from 1994-2000 ending with Porsche Unleashed which saw the agreement between EA and Porsche which made Porsches exclusive to Need for Speed. Second is what most people call the golden era of Need for Speed. The Black Box era of Need for Speed games. This started in 2002 with Hot Pursuit 2 and ended in 2008 with Undercover. And the 2010s is the third. The game bounced from developer to developer with all different directions and paths on what NFS should be. And now since 2013 we have landed and stabilized the series with Ghost Games. Now with the quick history behind us, let’s talk about the state of the series.

To identify the state of NFS is bit tricky and this whole topic is as it is merely opinion. Of course a different point of view would say otherwise on how we view this situation. Could the answer just be a few words and end of story? Sure. But the issue goes deeper than a few words. There are many factors as to what have happened to NFS. Trends, directions, game quality all add up. Let’s look at a more recent example. Need for Speed Rivals. Came out in 2013, developed by Ghost Games. Half of the dissolved Criterion Studios went there and worked on the game. Seemed like a fresh start from the studio. It seemed as if they created Hot Pursuit 3. Car culture was changing too. From the overdone early 2000s a more clean, refined style of the 2010s dropped us mainly Stance. While obviously not everyone is a fan of such car styling, it dictated the trend of less customization is better. Trying to keep it as stock as possible. So all in all, what you got was a game where you were able to drive blank cars with other serious game ruining issues. This all resulted in it showing in sales. In 2013 the best selling games were GTA V and Call of Duty. Other games from the list follow the action based game trend. Even a LEGO game which I personally never heard of sold better than Rivals. What my point is, is that the fanbase shrank. It progressed into other trends (aka shooter games) which were more polished. Sure everyone has a sort of soft spot for NFS. But when asked to spend $50-60 on a game, people would rather be spending it on something else than NFS. Right now the trend seems to come back to customization. Countless games which people play are free with customization locked behind a paywall. Why? Because people like difference aesthetics and looks and want to stand out and be unique. And that is what the car culture is all about. And we`re seeing a resurgence of JDM cars and customization. More refined nowadays but a nod back to the early 2000s. And now the main trend is to widebodykit everything that is possible to or not.

People joke about some certain online multiplayer games (mainly MOBAs like Dota 2 or League of Legends) and their communities being incredibly toxic. But I would say Need for Speed fanbase is on another level. You get such a huge variation and difference in opinion over what NFS should be that people end up bickering over it. Some people solely want Underground 3 to happen but fail to see that it wouldn’t be anything like it. Others like Brake-to-drift handling others detest it. Again some others want to see remastered version of older games. But that’s living in the past. And while they are amazing game and we all love them (mostly) we have to consider the future of the series. There were countless of passion projects that have been picked up by the community completely and got invested in it. Most recently it was a passion and fanmade project called Tokyo Nights. There have been project but have never seen such unity in liking what people have created. While there can be a line drawn between what people want and UG3 it would have to be something different. Different times call for different style of games, content and player experience. That is what the community needs to understand and help the development by sharing their ideas and hopefully they will listen. Which Ghost Games have done in the past and hopefully continue to do so. But it can all be really misleading as thanks to such popular mainstream community sites opinions and feedback which isn’t reflective of the actual community can easily be the detail which developers base their games around. Which we all can agree isn’t beneficial.
I want this article to serve as a conversation starter. I can’t possible list all the things that have put NFS where it is at. I`m not trying to paint the picture that our beloved game is in a dire situation. It’s been improving from the overall agreed on bad games it had. There are ups and downs but what we can be happy about is that Need for Speed was one of the first game series out there realising they need to change and listen to the community which has never been easier than now. Access to sites like this, to Reddit and a bunch of YouTubers who are vocal about their opinions and want the game to flourish once again and be as good as it can be. It was a trend overall (with some respectable exceptions) that corporate greed from AAA companies have ruined of the games and have been plaguing them with all sorts of bad DLC habits and microtransactions. Regardless I personally have a positive view on the curve Need for Speed is going. Its here to stay. It sells. We love it and will continue to do so because wherever may our passion come from to the series we, here all are united with our passion to the series.
mn6PJIW.jpg
Jan. 31, 2019, 4:22 p.m.
I have read the whole article and to be honest I couldn't agree more , especially about the fanbase being toxic to the point that sooner or later , I think the devs won't even bother listent to them due to their lack of good sense , and also for not being able to support each other , even if they are displeased on what they see.

Heh , 25 years later , we are still here and the series isn't going to stop , so… :D

For now Ghost Games is doing good , to be frank they even did better than what Rivals did when it came out (come to think of it, people still play it nowadays ) and I believe they can get even better. Until now all of their episodes haven't been really fails like some parts of the fanbase likes to say , especially when it comes to Payback , which got many people disappointed for various reasons , yet that's the same fanbase who wanted the series to get a refesh. They can get what they want because NFS evolve with the current tuning trends as you said , and even AAA games like Forza even felt into this trend, for the best or the worst , depending on some cars. And I do like that.

About the Underground fanboys I won't even extend myself on that. Yet the part of this fanbase which shows a huge interest to the point they can made themselves sort-of new concepts and ideas are indeed a thing to keep in mind , especially for the developpers , I saw many things and mods that could really allow the devs to set these on a well-desired spotlight.
Jan. 31, 2019, 10:17 p.m.
Damn, i thought the title was "The Current State of NFSCars" xD
Yea, i agree with Greger and Ti
I guess EA didn't care about what hte community complains
and i gotta say, our community is pretty kinda toxic like GTA too
They don't even think about trying to remastered the old game, especially MW and if they gonna announce Underground 3, I'll be hyped

Oh one thing, the curent state of the site when
Jan. 31, 2019, 11:31 p.m.
I think there's a possibility to do many things with one game, but, it may cost more to develop. I mean, Using an option menu, it could be possible to choose between the "arcade" physic, or a "real physic", or even between a 3rd option that's a mix of both (like having real physic, without damage and wreck). Same with customisation. As you said, it's not really necessary to the game, but it's cool and may players, me included like it to some extend. That would mean tho, that they'd have to create "different" servers for the different types of setting for the multi-player side of the game. Personally, I liked that NFS went open map, but there were some cool closed map as well. Again, this could be set up as 2 different type of play.

As for this community. Well… There were some toxic peeps that took too much space and it left many people sour. I think that those people won't come back, or if they do, they will have matured up. As I said, I think, more like some form of hope. Tho, from the comments I've read, some other toxic people came and took their places…

While the recent NFS seemed cool, my 10 yrs old computer couldn't handle it. But even if I had a state of the art computer, I would've stayed away from the game, a little bit 'cuz of the DLCs (If I have paid over 60$ for a game, I think I'e paid enough to get 100% content without having to pay again for cars and stuff), but MOSTLY 'cuz of the perf micro-transaction thing. Everybody hated it and it was yelled at EA. But did EA listen? I dunno. And if they did, did they decide that NFS wasn't profitable enough using the old gaming ways?

Personally, maybe I'm dreaming, but I think that EA should sell NFS to people that LOVE that type of game and want to make, not only a profitable game, but one that everybody who play it will enjoy.

I hope this make sense… Kinda late here…
Jan. 31, 2019, 11:33 p.m.
↑ My opinion on the newer games… They are the perfect example of a modern game for me. Fancy and advertised right but just falls flat. I mean fuck me I preordered Payback yet to this day I didnt even finish it. The passion wasnt there like it was in the 2015 one. Perhaps they were passionate about it. I dont know. But it just doesnt come through. This route of doing the new Fast and Furious. I mean sure they make money in the box office but everyone. EVERYONE (referencing Cross here lol) agrees they are utter garbage and is just another action movie with how we can top the previous with even more insane shit. 

Sure NFS sort of lived off of FnF for the majority of the 2000s but if its a bad direction its a bad direction. Also remember when in 2015 Ghost Games said that this reboot is the direction they wanna go down on and they give us Payback? Like it is NOTHING like 2015. Its the perfect example of the disgusting hype culture in racing games that entered and never wants to go away. The main reason I loved The Crew 1 was because we did illegal shit. We were in the undergound car scene smuggling drugs and everything. It was real in the story. Yes in 2015 you drink Monster of all things from the red beerpong cups but hey. They did what they could to bring a night life car culture scene to life (plus if they have beer the game goes 18+ which isnt good for NFS lol). And then you have Payback with Jess asking for a fucking burger every 2 minutes and this lets unite and drive out the mafia and this 3 musketeer shit. We dont want no fairy tale. We need fuckheads like Razor. Fucked our car. Fucked Mia then fucked us over with Cross and then so on. It was personal. Now obviously Payback could`ve been made better but for me when they lack such online features that its technically only playable as a single player game and lack so bad in that department, for me the game is a massive flop.

Remastering can be done in 2 ways.

1. Remake the old game with the same map and everything in the new engine and stay true to what the old game was, maybe a few bug fixes and quality of life features added but its still the core game what people love and like. Kinda like what happened with Dark Souls Remastered and Burnout Paradise

2. Completely remake the game with whatever the fuck you want and just push it out as a cashgrab of nostalgia over the old game

The issue is, is that EA doesnt have a good track record with just games in general. Leta lone a remake. And tbh we sort of got a glimpse of a remake trying to be made with Most Wanted 2012 and we all know how that turned out sooooooo any old games remastered? Umm no thanks from my part.

The current state of the site? Its pretty fucking shit lol. Life support? Nah fam this is like almost in the grave. Although I aint leaving unless we officially shut down thats for sure. Reddit and other shit can fuck off imo. Dis da real shit fo me
Feb. 1, 2019, 12:22 a.m.
damn thats deep Greger
I feel ya
Feb. 1, 2019, 11:29 a.m.
As someone who grew up with this franchise, IMO:

In the end it all depends on the developers "ideology" and work ethics/methodology. As long as money, not only in this industry but in IRL, dictates the path to follow, the results will never be as good as they could possibly be, and given the global final crisis context that we're still living in, that won't change anytime soon. Not saying that back in the 90's profit wasn't important, of course it was, but the motivation behind the development of  these products was different. There was no need to follow trends, everyone was united around the automotive passion and the results could be seen within the products themselves.

Society and culture in this industry and everywhere else changed since then and, unfortunately, so did the standards. While creativity, originality, gameplay, immersion, the "magic" of the experience were once the norm and main concern, in the last decade visuals, graphics and the "social" experience (lol) became somewhat the main priority, reflecting a considerable portion of the millennial gamer community, i. e. the financially resourceful, selfish, arrogant and lazy gamer with a short attention span that favors the superficial pleasure of the moment instead of a medium/long term experience that stays in one's memory. The problem isn't "living in the "past", the issue is studios had to adapt and in the process their mentality changed, they became greedy, lost sight of what makes a product interesting and also lost their passion. They forgot their identity.
Feb. 1, 2019, 11:45 a.m.
Agree completely. Gotta say tho that all games tend to go away from the illegal thing, else, car makers don't follow. I haven't played The crew and haven't even seen it. But from what I've seen of The Crew II, it moved from this too, now players are member of some extreme sports clubs things. The best exemple of nobody liking being associated with crimes in the car industry is GTA. GTA is highly popular (I haven't played V, so I dunno if it's crap or not tho), which should be enough for a car company to agree to feature their cars in. Yet, they have to resort to fantasy vehicles, cuz no one wanna be associated with crime.

Yes, we need more Razor, more Caleb, more Eddie, more Darius. Agressive antagonist. Ones that deal in the underground and can get dirty. Yet, once more this scare a lot of companies.
But as we stated EA' bad at the make game thing. They used to be good. I mean, they wouldn't be the giant they are now if they didn't. But they lost it as they went bigger.
Feb. 1, 2019, 2:11 p.m.
Its a really difficult thing to make a great game. Passion isnt the only thing needed. There must have been shitton of small indie studios with passion for that they were making but if its dogshit its just dogshit. Following trends was always a thing. I mean looking back how fucking ugly were those mods for your cars in UG, UG2 and MW (Carbon was alright sorta imo). lol… You`d wanna put the cool shit in your game. You want the trend to be there to pull more people in. But what makes and ruins a game is how hard you follow those trends. How much of a game`s DNA is a trend.

I think thats a huge issue with games and why they cant be timeless classics is because trends come and go and if you make a game sooo dependent on a trend it will flop. And I`m okay with the online focus of a game. I mean I think we all played NFS World which was all online. And I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Obviously its different when a game tries to do both a singleplayer and a multiplayer campaign. But currently the most enjoyable is about what FH4 is doing. You get to do the singlepalyer in coop too. Nice. The Crew did that too. Was fun and integrates that mulitplayer sort of seamlessly. I wish I could with clear words and pinpoint accuracy what went to shit. But we can all agree the games just feel… Less genuine. While hype car culture has its place but when its been happening since about the Pro Street days and it isnt looking to slow down it gets… Stale and cringe and shit. Adapting to newer gens and stuff isnt necessarily the issue. They have to. you can bog down and do what Valve did and create a new Steam and live off of that (and Dota and CSGO).

I think the main issue is how twisted people envision a Need for Speed title. Let that be anyone but my favourite example is BlackPanthaa. YTer… He…. Well has a love for the games. Does makes sense most of the time but overall his whole vision and idea of what would make a great NFS is flawed. There are things he says that just dont belong in a NFS game. And the issue is, is that most of these main community "leaders" misdirect everyone. Its like a blind leads blind situation. I dont know I dont think I`m making any sense and I am just talking out of my ass here as I cant say anything solid but that the FEEL of the games need to change. Payback…. Just didnt feel like a Need for Speed. Neither did 2015 really. Was miles better than anything recently released and thats why I`m praising it. But its just didnt feel NFS. And while I do want something similar to what we had back in the day; call me one of those UG2/MW fangays who want that to be made (which I dont), but you cant deny they are just amazing games. And obviously they cant be remaked but someone should look at what made those games, GAMES. Fucking awesome games. They had a shitty but lovable story. Memorable characters. Nothing of this political correctness (why do you think we had 3 main characters who was a black man a woman and a white dude?) that does plague everything. They had good cars. Good progression. Nothing of this fucking RPG type drop based grindfest. It didnt have a lifespan that was artificially pushed out by these. Sure with a new 2 year cycle yuo have to put enough content to make people come back and play. For me The Crew 1 was a perfect game. I loved the story. Sure it had its flaws but it wasnt trying to be too nice. It had amazing mulitplayer. Awesome DLCs, indepth perfomance tuning and customization (i mean fuck me the amount of rims they had and the classes of cars. dayum). I loved going back, creating drift cars out of Perf cars because I didnt like the drift cars handling. You need to give some sort of creative freedom to the player to come back and do stupid shit. While it can go into too many features being jumbled into one game there has to be a balance being struck.

About aggressive people in stories. I`m down for it. I`m down for the main sidekick to just be killed off and have that cheesy "we settle this on the road" type of shitty dialogue. There has to be weight to it. In Payback you had this weird story where this girl in a P1 wounds a friend and tries to kill Tyler (all you had to do is wait till he fucking goes into his fucking house but nooooo you pressed it earlier and said okay that`ll take care of him. Fucking dumb bitch (and storywriting)). Then this together we`r stronger bs. Miss me with that positive shit. Give me chicks with ass and carpark meets with fartcan hondas lol. Nah for real tho have some sense of fucking realism for the car scene. (and pls get rid of jumps and offroading in a NEED FOR SPEED GAME).

Ohhh well. Thats me ranting out of me arse. Hope you enjoyed it lol
Feb. 1, 2019, 6:21 p.m.
@Greger: "Its a really difficult thing to make a great game. Passion isn't the only thing needed."

> Sure, although by "passion" I meant having the right reasons and motivations to create a game, doing it just for the sake of profit without even being a petrolhead is not one of them. Since the first NFS until HP2 at least (which I personally consider the true "golden era" of the franchise)  you could tell the developers loved what they were doing just by experiencing what they had created. Without the resources they have nowadays, back then they were able to create the original, immersive, atmospheric, memorable, iconic and classic NFS's that set the standard for the franchise and made it famous.

"Following trends was always a thing."

> In the context of this franchise, that really only started with NFSU, around the time the F&F; fever started, before that NFSs were original, they were their own "thing", setting the standard for what arcade racing games should be.

"You want the trend to be there to pull more people in…."

>  Marketing wise and financially, from a developers point of a view, in the age we're living in, unfortunately yes, but you don't necessarily need a franchise to follow a specific trend to attract people when the motivations of the developers and gamers are the right ones or if your product is truly original and therefore can stand on its own when facing competition. The whole world surrounding the automotive industry was enough back then, that's what united people in virtual and real world. As I said above, until NFSU the previous NFS's didn't follow any particular trends and people still bought them and enjoy them until this day.

"But what makes and ruins a game is how hard you follow those trends. How much of a game`s DNA is a trend. I think thats a huge issue with games and why they cant be timeless classics is because trends come and go and if you make a game sooo dependent on a trend it will flop."

> Exactly, that was the point I was trying to make in my first post.

"Adapting to newer gens and stuff isn't necessarily the issue.They have to. "

> They didn't necessarily had to, after all the franchise was doing fine before they started following trends, unfortunately we'll never know what could have been if they kept doing their own thing. For me following trends was THE main issue that started the downfall of the franchise and lead to the loss of it's own identity as a series, and one can pinpoint the moment, it was when they started to follow the "F&F; bandwagon" or whatever you want to call it, more specifically with NFSU. Don't get me wrong, I still liked those games a lot and enjoyed NFS's until NFSPS, but the feeling wasn't the same. Now, subjective question, I know, but if you ask a NFS player "what's the true NFS for you, what makes a NFS game a true NFS?" usually the answer will be, in other words, the ones people enjoyed the most or the games they grew up with…. but taking out of the equation personal tastes, relativism and all subjective aspects there is an "essence" that makes a NFS product what it is, and that is, IMO, what gave it it's own identity in the first place, and for that we'll have to go back to its roots.

"I think the main issue is how twisted people envision a Need for Speed title. Let that be anyone but my favorite example is BlackPanthaa. YTer… He…. Well has a love for the games. Does makes sense most of the time but overall his whole vision and idea of what would make a great NFS is flawed. There are things he says that just don't belong in a NFS game. And the issue is, is that most of these main community "leaders" misdirect everyone. Its like a blind leads blind situation."

> Well, I don't follow him but I perfectly understand what you're trying to say. "Influencers" like him have a weight in the community and are a marketing force for the developers and studios, as such their opinions (although not representative of the community most times) are heard, and that's a problem. Another issue is the community itself being largely composed by kids and teens who lack their own individuality and aren't able to think by themselves or too lazy to research and form their own opinions, being more prone to follow others blindly. "Off topic" example: The followers of certain automotive youtubers, mainly ignorant children that act like puppets, believing and saying anything that comes out of those specific channels.
Feb. 1, 2019, 9:29 p.m.
I have only played back till Hot Pursuit 2. I aint a 30 year old dude like the old generation of this site who has been around to. Sure I could`ve went back but for me it never seemed captivating. I aint denying they are great games as they have laid the foundation for NFS to be a stable title. I guess the magic of that passion you mention has been there and I think you could agree it was there with even the first FnF trend following. I mean those games BLEW UP. They were what made everyone know what NFS is. They cemented the series. Especially MW. For me that is the greatest NFS game. UG2 is like micromilimeters away from that but if someone asks you which car is the most famous car in all of gaming I`m sure and would bet on they`d say the BMW M3 GTR from MW. Its iconic. While it followed that trend it was a good thing. As if you think about it no other game around that time did that.

If I look back and see NFS how it was back then it didnt much differ from Grand Turismo but only on roads. I mean sure there must have been other differences and stuff but for me looking back it overall seemed like that. While it was a trend from FnF it helped NFS become an element of its own. No other game really did illegal street racing back then and then comes MW with open world police chases and the same essence of what UG2 had but a bit more refined and tuned down and bam. You had a classic. And if you look around this site a good 70-80% of content being uploaded is for MW. nfsu360 still to this day makes tools and works on MW. Its a weird thing as we both agree that following trends so tightly is a bad thing yet UG,UG2 and MW are just too good. And I think the main thing setting apart eras is the feel of the game. What gives you the feel for a racing game? Sure the setting the vibe, the location the music. All very important. But what is THE MOST IMPORTANT is handling. Of course I dont want MW`s exact handling model in a new game being released in 2019.

Buuuuut if you look and see as soon as we started to go towards the new gen consoles and graphics improved the change of game engine is what I think ultimately ruined the feel of the game. You never got that crisp tight handling back. Sure you got better graphics but what good does that fucking do when your car goes faster drifting in every corner than gripping. Argument could be made that oh you should be slipping if you go too fast into the corner. Sure. But its arcade. I dont want grip monster handling. Just need something that feels great in your hands. Its such a delicate thing if you think about it. Making a shooting game is easy. Guns are guns. Spray patters are ehhh nothing too complicated. So all you gotta focus on is just the gameplay and story if you have story. In a cargame you have to create a very sophisticated handling model on top of all the other things. Can easily get it wrong if you arent using an engine that is good for such thing. And because of EA we`re stuck with frostbite.

Although I`m not sure if we have moved from that but sure is Rivals was on that crap and EA forced almost all its titles onto it. Gosh why did so many things go fucking wrong fucking hell lol. We could be here for months making lists and saying what the actual fuck went wrong. But yeah. I do like to discuss this and I am glad my article was a great conversation starter. But I raise my hat to you NN7 for that formatting. I`m a lazy shit so I cba i just layed a few paragraphs down so it doesnt seem too clustered the bullshit i`m spouting here
Feb. 2, 2019, 11:09 a.m.
@greger: "I aint a 30 year old dude like the old generation of this site who has been around to. Sure I could`ve went back but for me it never seemed captivating."

>  Yeap, some of the few active modders in the community are 25-30 years old, not to mention modern game developers lol Anyway, no wonder, as you must have grown up with titles like NFSU and the ones after that right. If you haven't played those classic NFS's, at least you have an idea, I can tell from what you been saying, you simply experienced the same sort of feeling but with later games. Anyway, to get an idea it's enough if you try NFSHS and NFSPU, IMO the best NFS's ever. It also depends on how you look at games, if you're a casual gamer, petrolhead or not etc..

"I guess the magic of that passion you mention has been there and I think you could agree it was there with even the first FnF trend following. I mean those games BLEW UP. They were what made everyone know what NFS is. They cemented the series."

> Agreed, although with a different feeling, and I enjoyed them a lot nevertheless, despite the lack of creativity given they were basically porting a movie franchise to the virtual world. Those games introduced the franchise to a new gen of gamers, not that the franchise was unknown then, far from it, it was well established, but we have to admit the whole trend had a major role in all of that, I mean they kept "milking the cow" until NFSC (which basically was a "copy" of  the elements in F&F; TD).

"… specially MW. For me that is the greatest NFS game… if someone asks you which car is the most famous car in all of gaming I`m sure and would bet on they`d say the BMW M3 GTR from MW. Its iconic. While it followed that trend it was a good thing. As if you think about it no other game around that time did that…No other game really did illegal street racing back then and then comes MW with open world police chases and the same essence of what UG2 had but a bit more refined and tuned down and bam. You had a classic."

> Indeed, though you realize you're confirming some points I made before, i. e. people would obviously mention what they grew up with when confronted with those questions. The thing is, if you ask the questions I mentioned in my previous comment to someone from a different gen the answer would be different. About the "illegal street racing" scene, not really, the theme of the franchise since the beginning was about it. Even if you meant the whole "JDM underground car culture" from NFSU, the first NFS had an NSX, a Supra and others as traffic cars (sure, not the same thing, but it had already some elements). With that "illegal street racing" theme though, before NFSU you had Midtown Madness and the Test Drive series that also had police chases, the Shutokou Battle series released in 1994 on the SNES (also known as Tokyo Xtreme Racer or Tokyo Highway Challenge). Then there were numerous NFSU "clones" following the same trend around that same time like Juiced, Midnight Club, Street Racing Syndicate and general street racing games like the Burnout franchise. But if you meant that NFSU was the videogame that made that trend globally mainstream, you're right. With MW though it was taken into another scale of course, the devs went back to the franchise roots for the police chases and mixed it with the tuning trend that by the time was no longer "underground", even some of the AI names were "easter eggs" taken from the classics. And the jumps were introduced mainly by MW and NFSC.

"If I look back and see NFS how it was back then it didn't much differ from Gran Turismo but only on roads. I mean sure there must have been other differences and stuff but for me looking back it overall seemed like that."

> Well, that's a very simplistic way to put it, to say the least lol Though I'm not surprised, it's natural since anyone in your gen would look back with the same "lenses" of people who were introduced to some elements of the classic NFS's through later games. Actually not at all, not only they were completely different types of games (arcade vs sim) but we're talking about games that defined the genre way ahead of their time, that had some cars that people today still only recognize thanks to them and which were presented through classy showcases with a narrator in the background briefly talking about it's history and stats, with original and fun gameplay including gamemodes never seen before like the legendary factory driver mode in NFSPU that SMS tried to recreate with TDFRL  in 2012 (!!!) or the cop chases in NFSHS, logic progression and missions that pushed you in a balanced manner, somewhat realistic characters and plausible story (NFSPU factory driver mode), great and realistic handling (NFSPU) for arcade style racing games not only for that time but that you didn't even get in later NFS titles, damage system with performance implications, amazing environment and beautiful closed tracks, spot on soundtrack that some gamers nowadays still use, shortcuts, you could physically meet and hang out with your friends and neighbors and develop actual friendships through the split-screen modes (though that wasn't "new" by that time) which is totally different from the "autolog" or MP stuff nowadays (the most connected gen ever is the most disconnected in reality). Then the modding scene started and everything became even better. I could go on and on. The simple feeling of pleasure of driving in those games alone, in cars and places that most of us will never be able to experience (no matter if fictional or based on real locations) was something that no one ever managed to recreate again in an arcade racing game. Some were close in capturing that magic, like HP2010 (despite the "brake to drift" handling came very close in other areas), or Driveclub for the PS4 (which in some aspects is the closest modern game that shows what a remake of classic NFS's could look like).

"But what is THE MOST IMPORTANT is handling. Of course I dont want MW`s exact handling model in a new game being released in 2019… Buuuuut if you look and see as soon as we started to go towards the new gen consoles and graphics improved the change of game engine is what I think ultimately ruined the feel of the game.

> Ding, ding, ding, JACKPOT! That's what I mentioned in my first comment, though EA would wish they had the same handling quality they had in NFSPU (2000) in modern NFS…

"In a car game you have to create a very sophisticated handling model on top of all the other things. Can easily get it wrong if you aren't using an engine that is good for such thing. And because of EA we`re stuck with frostbite."

> JACKPOT again! That and poor graphics optimization. For me the perfect example of that was NFS The Run, the first Frostbite attempt in NFS. Sure, it had fabulous scenery, a pretty awesome collection of cars, a story that wasn't too bad (less cringy than MW IMO, they even reversed it and used it in the 2014 NFS movie), closed roads (back to the roots), BUT the handling was obnoxious because they attempted sim-cade handling and failed for the most part (old RWD muscle cars driven by AI in the snow riding like it was on asphalt etc.) not to mention the unnecessary hardware resources consumption, I mean, Criterion released MW2012 one year later with a slightly improved graphics engine from HP2010 and it wasn't much worse visually. The difference? Even with my "potato" 2011 laptop MW2012 was playable while NFS The Run wasn't… Last but not least, worth mentioning that with the appearance of the HD gen of games back in 2007 several graphic flaws were covered with HDR and "bling" effects…

"We could be here for months making lists and saying what the actual fuck went wrong. But yeah. I do like to discuss this and I am glad my article was a great conversation starter."

> Indeed, but you know what, this is the type of conversation that not only the community should be having but also the feedback the devs should really be hearing instead of some "influencers" BS. I'm glad to find yet another person that is able to identify the real issues while at the same time speaking politely and without arrogance towards another member. Glad you appeared again on the site since you vanished. See you later.

BTW In a nutshell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LE0ycgkBQ
Feb. 2, 2019, 2:38 p.m.
I'll try to keep it short .

I remember playing Underground when I was a lot younger , no controller and no racing wheel , just a plain old keyboard and mouse back then . when I played Underground 2 it was the samething again no controller and no wheel .but I would have loved to played a sequel to Underground 2 , or even a sequel to Most wanted 05 or even Carbon . but I will admit that those days are over .

hell with new texture mods out for most wanted 05 , Carbon and Underground 2 when applied it feels like a remaster . the only thing I tend to gripe about is Underground 2 should have given us more muscle cars same with Most wanted 05 and Underground .

and yes I do gripe about the cop cars in Most wanted 05 to where I had to overhaul the Rockport Police Department (if they are an American Police department , shouldn't they use American police cars ?) the same goes for the Palmont Police department (thing is if you look at the Palmont PD's line up and compare it to Rockports , it's basically the same but with a skin update) .

But enough about that , the thing is though I don't think that a sequel to any of those games is going to happen (well unless you count NFS 2015 as a sort of sequel to Underground 2) at least with Payback we got a good mix of Muscle , Tuner , Exotic and Hyper cars . but despite all of that , what I'm trying say is I'll stick with NFS as long as I can I just hope we can get a good game with a good story and memorable characters like in Underground , Underground 2 , Most wanted 05 and Carbon . That's just my two cents .

I'll see you out on the Road .

Active Topics

Notifications

You currently have no notifications.

{[{ notification.title }]}

{[{ notification.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}
{[{ notification.sender.display_name }]}
older notifications mark all as read
Shoutbox
{[{ shout.created|timeAgo:'MM/dd/yyyy' }]}