Go Back   NFSCars Forums > Offtopic Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk A forum to discuss computers, gadgets, software and other related stuff!

Old 03-21-2011   #1
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to MostEdwardo1 Send a message via Skype™ to MostEdwardo1
Default Intel HD Graphics is it good enough?

I am most likely to receive my own laptop this summer, the thing is I am deciding on a MacBook, and I am thinking about the "13 Pro, which has a Intel HD 3000 Gprahics thing, i wonder if thats worth it, but it's got an i7 Quad Core inside... the main question here is the graphics... is it good enough? I might get some 3d software for it, but will the intel thing handle it? compared to the previous gen which has nVidia GPU, and also the 15 Pro which costs up to 2000 with a AMD GPU which has 1GB VRAM...

Eddie Van Halen
MostEdwardo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #2
Vic1

Send a message via MSN to Vic1 Send a message via Yahoo to Vic1 Send a message via Skype™ to Vic1

No.
10char
Old 03-21-2011   #3
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to MostEdwardo1 Send a message via Skype™ to MostEdwardo1

please elaborate on that..

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #4
HazewinDog
Crashday fanatic

I dont know much but i do know that you should stay away from intel graphics. They are integrated and therefore perform very poor
HazewinDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #5
Myojinoir
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Silver 

Send a message via MSN to Myojinoir Send a message via Skype™ to Myojinoir

What will you use the laptop for? Work/studies, games, 3D modeling?
If the two latter, buy an Alienware or an ASUS or some other powerful gaming laptop.
If work/studies, go right ahead, but i`d still buy a gaming laptop if i were you. Why - Cheaper - 1, Program compatibility - 2(MacBook uses Mac OS), Entertainment(movies, games) - 3.

Intel HD Integrated cards can`t even run 720p HD movies, or rather it can, but i`m not about to tell you how badly the movie will run. And that would be the least of your problems.
Old 03-21-2011   #6
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

thanks.
well i want a bit of all, guess It seems the "15 MacBook Pro will be the one I'll get, with the 256 MB VRAM, and yes I do want Mac OS X, and if i wanted, I'd install Win7 on it... And this is the time I won'r be gaming as much as before, so there goes my descicion, since, I would play games in a while, but not soo much, then i would use it for studying/work, and web/entertainment such as movies, and music, and I don't want to get really fancy with headphones or external speakers..

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #7
GTA_Converter

Get a better laptop.
And more VRAM.
Nowadays the 256MB would perform bad.
Get atleast a 512MB VRAM but stay away from Intel Graphics.
I have one and even GTA SA runs worse on 640x480.
GTA_Converter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #8
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

right now me & dad have this nice HP EliteBook 8540p, but I want to get my own for my b-day after school ends,
the laptop is good, but i want mac, and i am aiming at the MacBook Pro "15,

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #9
Spyke
Super Veloce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostedwardo1 View Post
i am most likely to receive my own laptop this summer, the thing is i am deciding on a macbook, and i am thinking about the "13 pro, which has a intel hd 3000 gprahics thing, i wonder if thats worth it, but it's got an i7 quad core inside... The main question here is the graphics... Is it good enough? I might get some 3d software for it, but will the intel thing handle it? Compared to the previous gen which has nvidia gpu, and also the 15 pro which costs up to 2000 with a amd gpu which has 1gb vram...
hmm.. Maybe. Xd
Old 03-21-2011   #10
Vic1

Send a message via MSN to Vic1 Send a message via Yahoo to Vic1 Send a message via Skype™ to Vic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostEdwardo1 View Post
right now me & dad have this nice HP EliteBook 8540p, but I want to get my own for my b-day after school ends,
the laptop is good, but i want mac, and i am aiming at the MacBook Pro "15,
Why do you want a Mac? At that price you get a normal laptop with GTX260.

Last edited by Vic1; 03-21-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Vic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #11
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1 View Post
Why do you want a Mac? At that price you get a normal laptop with GTX260.
because why do i need an uber powerful GPU then i need it for studying, and a little amount of gaming... as well as maybe 3d modeling, and entertainment like music and movies, and some other minor work...

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #12
3ni_2nr
Former Member

You can play pre-2003 games easily with that card. And that's it.
3ni_2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #13
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ni_2nr View Post
hahahahaha
lol, how about the 256MB GPU on the current macbook 15 the cheaper version?

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #14
HazewinDog
Crashday fanatic

Quote:
because why do i need an uber powerful GPU then i need it for studying, and a little amount of gaming... as well as maybe 3d modeling, and entertainment like music and movies, and some other minor work...
But that doesnt tell us why you want a Mac, does it? Anyway, imo ure better off getting a GPU instead of integrated graphics, even if your main goal isnt gaming.
Old 03-21-2011   #15
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

then, I will get the MacBook Pro "15 with the dual GPU configuration, the same intel GPU^ is for battery life saving, and office work, the AMD GPU is for the gaming and anything that uses graphics, and such, oh, and the one's that 256MB of VRAM... of GDDR5, and some HD60xxM card, which sounds snice...

and whhy do i want a Mac, well I always wanted one, theyre nice devices, an they are cool, IMO, they might not be the best in terms of all parts quality or other, but they're quite good, and decent

Eddie Van Halen

Last edited by MostEdwardo1; 03-21-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Old 03-21-2011   #16
Vanexroxics
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to Vanexroxics Send a message via Yahoo to Vanexroxics

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazewinDog View Post
But that doesnt tell us why you want a Mac, does it? Anyway, imo ure better off getting a GPU instead of integrated graphics, even if your main goal isnt gaming.
Several years ago i owned a PC which uses Intel graphics, and i survived even though i gamed alot.

I see no reason why he should get a newer GPU instead of a Mac. he already has pointed out he doesn't want to game alot, probably only 1-2 hours and that's it.

OP - like 3ni_2nr/Myojinoir said, you won't run any games that are later than 2003. but since you don't game alot, i presume that it's pretty okay for you.

[11:11] <&Venom> holy balls that is a lot of asian
Vanexroxics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #17
Primus
Youse dumb fooks.

You're going to pay $1500 for shiny piece of crap that has the hardware of a $700 Dell? Nah, dawg...just nah.

Get yourself a decent i5 quad with at least a 5650 or NVIDIA 450M.
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #18
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
You're going to pay $1500 for shiny piece of crap that has the hardware of a $700 Dell? Nah, dawg...just nah.

Get yourself a decent i5 quad with at least a 5650 or NVIDIA 450M.
Guess what.. I am
It's got a decent battery life, a legit quadcore i7, with hyperthreading for 8 virtual, the technology of 2 gpus for energy saving, and good looks, and has mac os x, without violating dumb apple rules... etc.....

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #19
HazewinDog
Crashday fanatic

Ok, congrats Hope youll enjoy it

-----
EDIT: 500th post

Last edited by HazewinDog; 03-21-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Old 03-21-2011   #20
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

thanks..
i might have more questions but on macs...

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-21-2011   #21
HazewinDog
Crashday fanatic

Well tbh ive never even for a second used a mac pc/notebook, so i cant help with that.
Old 03-21-2011   #22
Rally Master
Eat. Sleep. Rally.

I've said this before but the statement still stands:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Master View Post
Generally, if you have to ask, then it's not good enough.
(9:20:06 PM) Venom: why is RM in here
(9:20:13 PM) Venom: angry Chinese dude

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX
Rally Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #23
OZ
GET OUT OF MY LAWN!

Send a message via MSN to OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Master View Post
Generally, if you have to ask, then it's not good enough.
I support this message.
Old 03-21-2011   #24
LiveToPorsche
FUS RO DAH!

Send a message via MSN to LiveToPorsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ni_2nr View Post
Testament to this.
While I can play Demigod, it has to be on low graphics. If I even think about upping it to medium it craps itself.
Old 03-21-2011   #25
KF72
Back? Well, No.

Send a message via AIM to KF72

I once used an intel card from 2004 for FS

Old 03-21-2011   #26
996XS

If you want to play an awesome game with gr8 grpahics, go for nvidia. Intel has choppy graphics and doesn't support 70% of games to this day. I know this cause I have a computer running win7x64 with intel graphics with an i7 processor
996XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #27
996XS

FYI, u can't play NFSHP2010 on intel graphics
996XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #28
Rally Master
Eat. Sleep. Rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996XS View Post
If you want to play an awesome game with gr8 grpahics, go for nvidia. Intel has choppy graphics and doesn't support 70% of games to this day. I know this cause I have a computer running win7x64 with intel graphics with an i7 processor
Dudeman, an i7 with Intel graphics? Seriously weak, sir.
(9:20:06 PM) Venom: why is RM in here
(9:20:13 PM) Venom: angry Chinese dude

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX
Rally Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #29
KF72
Back? Well, No.

That is bottlenecking to the extreme.
Old 03-21-2011   #30
monkey.wesley

That is quite the odd setup, but you're definitely paying a premium when you buy Apple. Obviously, for the hardware you have, it's not really worth it.

However, you are getting a huge amount of battery life on standard voltage hardware; some PC laptops with standard voltage hardware are beginning to achieve those levels of battery life, but they don't have a DVD drive (most of them).

You get an IPS screen, which is the best type of screen you can get; higher response times, but near 180 deg horizontal AND vertical viewing angles, plus colours that are basically photo-realistic.

You also get really good build quality - the aluminum body is very solid and matte surfaces don't show fingerprints. (However, there are no vents for cooling. It's also so solid that the Macbook is pretty heavy.)

After all this... do I have a Mac(book)? No... cost is a huge factor for me; if a Macbook was ~$500, I'd get it right away. So instead, I have my $130 netbook for all my school work (if I need SolidWorks, I use the iMacs with Windows XP at school) and my $450 desktop setup for gaming. =P
monkey.wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011   #31
Primus
Youse dumb fooks.

Quote:
Guess what.. I am
It's got a decent battery life, a legit quadcore i7, with hyperthreading for 8 virtual, the technology of 2 gpus for energy saving, and good looks, and has mac os x, without violating dumb apple rules... etc.....
Hey, remember that one time you came around asking for tips on buying a laptop and everyone said not to buy one with a Quadro? remember how many times members made fun of you for wasting time and posting threads on how to run game with your Quadro? remember when you thought your CPU was a quad-core, when in fact it was a dual?

Guess what? You're an idiot.

If you don't want the expertise of mature members that know what they're talking about, then why do you ask?

Buy your crappy Macbook, come post another thread about how shit it runs, why you can't play games/model on it, and make another thread asking members to help buy another laptop.

You can either admit I am your god, I own you (not mutually exclusive from the first one), you're a noob and have no idea what you're doing, and last but not least, you're going to buy said Macbook, and cry when none of the computers/laptop you've bought can even run MW.
Old 03-22-2011   #32
MostEdwardo1
Van Halen Fan

well, i've never cried about not being able to run any games with the quadro card, i was just asking about GTA4, which i never got round to play or try, then, it wasn't all my descicion, this current laptop is shared between me and meh dad, so i didn't have the power to make him buy some gaming laptop, but i just needed to know about the device so i asked, and i got answers.

And now days, I said that i don't play games as much, so the ultra powerful GPU thing isn't necessary. A few month ago, I never knew about the hyper-thread thing, now i do. I asked my question: Is the Intel HD 3000 intergrate gpu good enough, i got my answer that it is a fail intel device, so my descicion changed from getting the "13, I go up a notch "15, which got a better ATi/AMD graphic card. thats it, oh and to add(makes no difference) they have an i7...

that's it..

and I maybe an idiot, to people, you got your own opinion, ok.. you can have it, no reason to deny, some people agree some don't.

Eddie Van Halen
Old 03-22-2011   #33
Primus
Youse dumb fooks.

It's not about opinions or lack thereof. It's about you and this pathetic superiority complex. Look, we're trying to help you, I don't post in this thread to occupy my time and accomplish nothing. I post because you asked for advice and me, having researched this crap more than you, is giving you educated advice. Instead of listening, you say shit like, "Yep hur durr, too bad. I'm getting the CrapBook".

I'll say it again, a MacBook is a worthless piece of crap. It's primarily created for idiots that have NO clue about the inner-workings of their hardware, and for people that get attracted by shiny, useless objects. Instead of paying the same amount of $ for a Windows-based laptop, you pay for a significantly slower, shinier piece of crap. Do you realize for the money you buy the MacBook, you could buy yourself a laptop capable of smashing even Crysis? Of course, Windows is more customizable and thus more prone to failure and glitches. That's OK. It gives you a chance to learn how to solve your own problems instead of coming on a NFS website and asking a bunch of noobs for advice. Also, by buying a better Windows-based laptop, you will also have a longer time between upgrades, since it packs better hardware than that MacBook.

In the end it's your choice; however, don't ask for advice, disregard it, and whine just to feed your ego.

Last edited by Primus; 03-22-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Old 03-22-2011   #34
KF72
Back? Well, No.

Customizable laptop.... Please enlighten me, Primus.
Old 03-22-2011   #35
Primus
Youse dumb fooks.

Eh? Where did I say it was customizable? I did edit out the word 'build' from the post, since you can't 'build' a laptop, but that's it.
Old 03-22-2011   #36
KF72
Back? Well, No.

That's what I meant, building a laptop, but I guess it doesn't exist.
Old 03-22-2011   #37
Reptillian
Fly by the darkness.

Send a message via AIM to Reptillian Send a message via MSN to Reptillian Send a message via Yahoo to Reptillian

As someone who stills have the crappy intel hd graphics. I'd say you have to drastically reduce the resolution in order to play some of the more recent games and in some cases, it might run fine for a while until it crashes (happened to me in shift demo). It's good for old games, but you're going to need a better one if you're into playing newer game. It's still suit my general needs like 3D modeling and doing pictures into photoshop while playing games before 2004 and that's it.
Reptillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011   #38
GTR
Blows Your Mind

Silver Silver Gold Gold 

Send a message via MSN to GTR Send a message via Yahoo to GTR Send a message via Skype™ to GTR

Funny how the computers for our English lab are Macs, and the ones for Solidworks/CAD work are Dells.

Is it enough? For checking your emails, yes. Solidworks will work too, just don't add too many components. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
It's not about opinions or lack thereof. It's about you and this pathetic superiority complex. Look, we're trying to help you, I don't post in this thread to occupy my time and accomplish nothing. I post because you asked for advice and me, having researched this crap more than you, is giving you educated advice. Instead of listening, you say shit like, "Yep hur durr, too bad. I'm getting the CrapBook".

I'll say it again, a MacBook is a worthless piece of crap. It's primarily created for idiots that have NO clue about the inner-workings of their hardware, and for people that get attracted by shiny, useless objects. Instead of paying the same amount of $ for a Windows-based laptop, you pay for a significantly slower, shinier piece of crap. Do you realize for the money you buy the MacBook, you could buy yourself a laptop capable of smashing even Crysis? Of course, Windows is more customizable and thus more prone to failure and glitches. That's OK. It gives you a chance to learn how to solve your own problems instead of coming on a NFS website and asking a bunch of noobs for advice. Also, by buying a better Windows-based laptop, you will also have a longer time between upgrades, since it packs better hardware than that MacBook.

In the end it's your choice; however, don't ask for advice, disregard it, and whine just to feed your ego.
This guy knows wtf he's talking about.

And yeah, you CAN build laptops. Compatible parts are not in abundance, but I've seen it done.
GTR is offline   Reply With Quote